WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Old airplane in water at site 6

69hondo

Reaction score
Saw this on havasu Facebook page. Did they really drop an old plane in the lake? If so anyone know the story?
FB_IMG_1658353248962.jpg
FB_IMG_1658353252426.jpg
FB_IMG_1658353254848.jpg

McKay

Reaction score
It would be for fish. There are a shitload of man made structures dropped in Havasu for fish Habitat.

Taboma

Reaction score
I thought maybe for the dive clubs, but around the corner in the next bay seems a better choice of locations for that.
So I dunno either ??

LazyLavey

Reaction score
In one of the coves across from site 6 there is several huge industrial fans on the bottom..

Saw them years ago while skiing through the cove.. Water was super clear but still unable to tell how deep

I assume fish habitats...??...

69hondo

Reaction score
The 2nd and 3rd pictures are not in the same location.... What am I missing?
Agree just the pics that were on Havasus facebook page. I didnt take them. I copied and posted them here to get more info. Figured the RDP army would have more info.

Taboma

Reaction score
In one of the coves across from site 6 there is several huge industrial fans on the bottom..

Saw them years ago while skiing through the cove.. Water was super clear but still unable to tell how deep

I assume fish habitats...??...
You sure you weren't seeing the large pvc blades that look like a huge fan from above ? Those pvc blades are arranged around a center trunk, configured similar to a palm tree. I've seen them in other bays where the waves or ?? broke them off and they'd washed up on the beach.
The idea was to give the small fish a hiding place under the blades. There's a variety of different styles, from pvc boxes wrapped in net, to the fan blades, to huge bundles of branches or tossed Christmas trees, tied together and sunk. Looks eerie when you pass over them, like some submerged alien base. But an entire A6 is kinda strange for a fish habitat, but who knows ??

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I thought maybe for the dive clubs, but around the corner in the next bay seems a better choice of locations for that.
So I dunno either ??
I’d be interested to know who’s paying for the crane and the labor to place the plane?

I called the city and ask them if they could replace a couple of broken cleats on the dock, they said they’d get right on it, I think that was about 10 years ago.😂

2Driver

Reaction score
You sure you weren't seeing the large pvc blades that look like a huge fan from above ? Those pvc blades are arranged around a center trunk, configured similar to a palm tree. I've seen them in other bays where the waves or ?? broke them off and they'd washed up on the beach.
The idea was to give the small fish a hiding place under the blades. There's a variety of different styles, from pvc boxes wrapped in net, to the fan blades, to huge bundles of branches or tossed Christmas trees, tied together and sunk. Looks eerie when you pass over them, like some submerged alien base. But an entire A6 is kinda strange for a fish habitat, but who knows ??

LOL. Yeah I bet thats what they are mistaking for fans. When you are snorkeling deep and that stuff appears into your view it's a bit creepy.

Taboma

Reaction score
LOL. Yeah I bet thats what they are mistaking for fans. When you are snorkeling deep and that stuff appears into your view it's a bit creepy.
First time I saw some, especially the fans, I thought it really WTF !!!! Freaky. Fans didn't hold up well to the winter winds and breaking waves when the water level was lowered.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Ive seen a vw bug in the big cove over by the ranger boat station

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Could be....

The blades were arranged very symmetrical looked like about 6' diameter frame..... and there was multiple...... ya it was very eerie

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The fans are intentionally made and placed as fish habitat. Christmas trees are placed into wire cages and also intentionally placed around the lake for fish habitat. They protect the small bait fish.

Taboma

Reaction score
Could be....

The blades were arranged very symmetrical looked like about 6' diameter frame..... and there was multiple...... ya it was very eerie
Yup that's them, first time I saw them I though I'd stumbled upon and underwater alien base. :oops:🤣 This was on the CA side around the corner and east and south of Grass Island, entire back bay was filled with them.

retaocleg

Reaction score
They used to sink old Christmas trees no?
yup....... only if sans tinsel, they used to do habitat drives for it
they also do poly tubes and assorted habitrail type stuff........in designated coves with maps being sold in gas stations/convivence stores

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I personally dove in two well known dive spot 3 years ago and swam up on dozens of the artificial fish habitats… sadly never saw any fish… maybe this will work better!

fmo24

Reaction score
They used to sink old Christmas trees no?
Ya my dad used to volunteer down there. Collect Christmas trees and bundle them and sink them in coves. They also built pvc frames with that orange snow fence material. I guess bass are super aggressive towards young fish and there is no natural habitat for them to hide in

BajaMike

Reaction score
Site 6 was a Army Air Corp traing field since before WW2. That’s right in line with the old runway.

Some planes probably crashed on landing and takeoff.

Roosky01

Reaction score
it was put in by bureau of land management to improve the fisheries in the lake. it gives the small fish a chance to reach breeding age before the bigger fish get em.
It would seem to me that there has to be a better way to accomplish this? Let’s decommission an old plane, transport it, and then rent a crane and then lower it in? I’m sure that’s an efficient use of taxpayer dollars?

I imagine whoever came up with this idea is up for some award?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It would seem to me that there has to be a better way to accomplish this? Let’s decommission an old plane, transport it, and then rent a crane and then lower it in? I’m sure that’s an efficient use of taxpayer dollars?

I imagine whoever came up with this idea is up for some award?
Wait the same group that did all the work at Park Moabi/Pirates putting in the bridge and that big area just north of the pirates portion.

How about little inland island that is between Park Moabi and this new project they are doing south of needles. They don’t care about fish, they just know as long as they spend they get more.