WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Offer by Chevy (Has anyone seen this before?)

78Southwind

Reaction score
The Chevy Tech said the EGR is bad in my 2017 Chevy Volt. It was kind of a strange deal the Volt was getting a little hot (240*, coolant is rated at 265*) driving on engine/generator. Then it went into limp mode and the computer didn't allow me charge the battery. I didn't want to take any chances with overheating the engine/generator so I had it towed to the dealer.

Chevy says the part is on backorder and the dealer has had my Volt for about a month now. I am currently driving a Chevy Equinox from Enterprise Rent-A-Car that Chevy is supposed to reimburse me for since the EGR is under warranty. Sidebar: The Enterprise Manager said he had a person that had a Bolt (with a B), rent a car while Chevy was replacing the Bolt's battery due to a recall. Chevy paid a $20,000 rental fee because they had the owners car for almost a year.

Today, I got a call from the GM California Engagement Center (they call me every week to update me about the part). They said that they were going to offer me to Replace or Repurchase my Volt. They said that I could continue to wait for the part if I wasn't interested in their offers. Has anyone gone through this before (looks like the repurchase is a lemon law formula)?

REPLACEMENT:
To the extent your vehicle is still in your possession and available to return to General Motors, you may
elect to have General Motors replace the subject vehicle with a new motor vehicle that is substantially
identical to your vehicle. If you elect a replacement vehicle, General Motors will work with you to place
you in a comparable vehicle. General Motors will pay for any sales tax, license fees, registration fees, and
other official fees you are obligated to pay in connection with the replacement. If your vehicle is subject
to a lien, you will be responsible for working with your lender to substitute the replacement vehicle as
collateral into your existing loan, otherwise you will be responsible for securing financing for the
replacement vehicle. General Motors will also pay incidental damages actually incurred by you, as
permitted by law and subject to verification.

REPURCHASE:
Alternatively, if you elect to have General Motors repurchase your vehicle, General Motors will refund

the actual price paid or payable by the buyer, including any charges for transportation and manufacturer-
installed options, but excluding nonmanufacturer items installed by a dealer or the buyer, and including

any collateral charges such as sales or use tax, license fees, first year’s registration fees, and other official
fees, less usage, if applicable (see below). The proposed refund may also include recoverable incidental
damages actually incurred by you, as permitted by law and subject to verification.

You will be responsible for delivery of a clear title, free of lien, to General Motors. If a lending
institution holds the title to your vehicle, you will be required to provide General Motors a notarized and
signed Power(s) of Attorney. You will be responsible for any damage charges beyond normal wear &
tear upon turn in of the subject vehicle.

Whether you elect a replacement or repurchase, General Motors is entitled to a usage offset for your use
of the vehicle. The usage offset is calculated by a formula set by the Song Beverly Act as follows:

Use Deduction =

# of miles driven by the consumer prior to the first
delivery to the manufacturer/dealer for repair of the
nonconformity that led to the repurchase X Purchase Price

Divided

120,000 miles

General Motors will review your repair history and calculate the usage offset on your behalf. The exact
amount of the offset will be included in a more detailed offer once General Motors has received the
documentation required.

charred1

Reaction score
Back in 2012, Ford offered me a replacement or repurchase of my 2005 F350. I chose repurchase.

JJK94

Reaction score
Hardly not giving anything away.. After you spend hours upon hours with them jumping through hoops .. They will offer you less then you can sell it for on your own. Been there done that. How do they replace it with a new motor vehicle that is substantially identical. .. Good luck .

450grip

Reaction score
Chevy bought back my 2015 Duramax 4x4 2500.
I was having lots of issues with my DEF system. Lots of time at the dealership service department. Frustrating, but not enough to look in lemon law action.
At the service center, I didn’t get shitty, I didn’t threaten legal action, just kept taking it in every time the check engine light came on.
I got a call from GM corporate offering to buy back the truck. The representative gave me the details, and I agreed.
It took about 90days total, but the process was was pretty easy. I had the title, and the original sales contract, I believe that helped.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Electric cars are the answer

The funny thing about it, is that the problem is with the engine, so why the hell do they shut down the electric portion of the car (plug-in). If I could of charged the Volt, I would have just drove it to the dealer on battery.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Do you like the car and want one that works? Or are you over the issues and want something else. Crazy that gm is doing the right thing up front.

I didn't even complain, there hasn't been any real issues. This is basically, the first real issue I have had. I just wanted to make sure Chevy was going to cover my Rent-A-Car since it was going to be a while before I got the Volt back. That's why I got corporate involved. But to answer the question. Yes, I like the car. It's the only electric car that I currently would buy from Chevy, since it can actually get me to the River with out having to stop to charge or fill up with gas.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Hardly not giving anything away.. After you spend hours upon hours with them jumping through hoops .. They will offer you less then you can sell it for on your own. Been there done that. How do they replace it with a new motor vehicle that is substantially identical. .. Good luck .

I don't think they could replace it, since they don't make the Volt anymore. From what I can tell from their formula, is the offer should be around $23,000 to repurchase. A year and a half ago for shit and giggles, I got an offer from Carvana for around $22,000 or $23,000. KBB right now, is around $16,000 on the high-side private party value.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Chevy bought back my 2015 Duramax 4x4 2500.
I was having lots of issues with my DEF system. Lots of time at the dealership service department. Frustrating, but not enough to look in lemon law action.
At the service center, I didn’t get shitty, I didn’t threaten legal action, just kept taking it in every time the check engine light came on.
I got a call from GM corporate offering to buy back the truck. The representative gave me the details, and I agreed.
It took about 90days total, but the process was was pretty easy. I had the title, and the original sales contract, I believe that helped.

I have the sales contract and title so it should be similar. Thanks for the heads up on the 90 days time-line. Just curious did they give you a rent-a-car for any of those 90 days?

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Isn’t there a company and all they do is make EGRs for auto manufacturers? I really don’t understand these supply chain and part issues.

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I think why they are starting to do this more is reflecting directly on the cost of what they Lemon Law Attorney gets.

I have lemon Ed two vehicles first was my bmw 750 and the lemon attorney got over 10k back I had the car for 18 months and got all but 439.00 back with registration and rentals too.
Second was a Hyundai Santa Fe I bought the daughter the 2.0 turbo motor blew up they replaced it but never was right, always had more issues.

Overall if the company handles the replacement or buy back they save attorney fees which both time for me was 10k or more.

So ultimately you need to pencil out what gets the most money for you. Buy out will most likely be less then a vehicle replacement taken to Carmax.

Mine were both settled and turned in. Doing it again maybe a new vehicle would have higher value and can be sold for more than a buy out.

Good luck

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
Isn’t there a company and all they do is make EGRs for auto manufacturers? I really don’t understand these supply chain and part issues.
Seems Chevy is anxious to get the car back, and to their engineering center. There may be more to this. Vehicle will certanilly be disassembled and various componets looked at.

Berdes

Reaction score
EGR valve = exhaust gas recirculating ?? In an electric vehicle? I know nothing about electric vehicles, but that just sounds wrong.

450grip

Reaction score
I have the sales contract and title so it should be similar. Thanks for the heads up on the 90 days time-line. Just curious did they give you a rent-a-car for any of those 90 days?
I had an extra vehicle, so I didn’t need to ask. Worth asking about before agreeing to sell. Good luck. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Sharky

Reaction score
EGR valve = exhaust gas recirculating ?? In an electric vehicle? I know nothing about electric vehicles, but that just sounds wrong.
Volt is a hybrid. Similar to a Prius.

Taboma

Reaction score
Curious what they deduct per mile for the miles driven and how it would pencil out. There's certainly plenty of other plug-in hybrids available on the market to choose from should you decide to move on.

boatpi

Reaction score
How comes to the numbers but I could tell you this, if you’re looking for another great car with fuel economy, look hard at the new Prius prime.
Then look at your numbers

78Southwind

Reaction score
Curious what they deduct per mile for the miles driven and how it would pencil out. There's certainly plenty of other plug-in hybrids available on the market to choose from should you decide to move on.

It's the standard California Lemon Law. (Vehicle purchase price) x (Mileage at first repair) / 120,000 miles = mileage offset.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
That's not even close to how the auto industry works.

Many companies make components, some only if they make enough of the models that use their components to justify tooling up to build whatever Widget the engineers came up with. Some only make new components, some only make aftermarket components. Some do both depending on the complexity.

Multistage EGR's with full range/flow monitoring and the sensors (typically made by another company that specializes in sensors) used to make them communicate are nothing like the old fashioned stuff.

In short, vehicles in general are a mishmash of 100's of different parts, made by 100's of different companies.

It's truly amazing that they work at all, much less have the refinement and reliability they have reached in modern times.

This scenario is common right now, as build numbers are so low that aftermarket support for many lines and models is non-existent. There is just not enough volume to justify them tooling up to build only a few thousand, while the original manufacturer met their quota and has moved on to another job, leaving the end consumer fucked.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
That's not even close to how the auto industry works.

Many companies make components, some only if they make enough of the models that use their components to justify tooling up to build whatever Widget the engineers came up with. Some only make new components, some only make aftermarket components. Some do both depending on the complexity.

Multistage EGR's with full range/flow monitoring and the sensors (typically made by another company that specializes in sensors) used to make them communicate are nothing like the old fashioned stuff.

In short, vehicles in general are a mishmash of 100's of different parts, made by 100's of different companies.

It's truly amazing that they work at all, much less have the refinement and reliability they have reached in modern times.

This scenario is common right now, as build numbers are so low that aftermarket support for many lines and models is non-existent. There is just not enough volume to justify them tooling up to build only a few thousand, while the original manufacturer met their quota and has moved on to another job, leaving the end consumer fucked.
So it's the bean counters at the auto manufacturers who limit the additional number of parts that are made by the subcontracted parts manufacturer. So by not having the parts available it's all part of the plan for the customer to get frustrated and get rid of the vehicle that they can't get the part for and hope the consumer purchases a new vehicle by the same manufacturer. So by controlling supply they create a demand, very deceptively clever.

78Southwind

Reaction score

Robertsmania

Reaction score
A year later and I'm in a similar situation - 2017 Volt with a failed EGR valve. But in my case GM is insisting the vehicle does not qualify for any relief under the CA lemon law. We do have a claim through the BBB Auto Line Program and it is proceeding to arbitration.

Is there any chance @78Southwind that you would be willing to answer some questions via email to help me with my case? It would be very beneficial to show a precedent for GM offering a repurchase in your case but not mine.

78Southwind

Reaction score
A year later and I'm in a similar situation - 2017 Volt with a failed EGR valve. But in my case GM is insisting the vehicle does not qualify for any relief under the CA lemon law. We do have a claim through the BBB Auto Line Program and it is proceeding to arbitration.

Is there any chance @78Southwind that you would be willing to answer some questions via email to help me with my case? It would be very beneficial to show a precedent for GM offering a repurchase in your case but not mine.

The first thing, first, you need to follow the rules and post a picture of your boat and your better half in a bikini. ;)

Go a head and ask your questions here, maybe it will help others that are in a similar situation. I have read about others that have used the BBB Auto Line Program and they have wrote good things about their outcome. I read one case where the owner received their full purchase price back even though the owner had around 20,000 miles on their Volt.