WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off to Michigan to pick up a boat

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Heading to Michigan tomorrow night to pick up a boat. Looks like a winter storm warning coming in, awesome, I dont think I even own pants.

RDP hooked me up with a friend of an inmate that towed his boat to Skater for some major repairs and flew home. The repairs are taking the better part of a year (imagine that bill) so he wants his truck back west and offered to let me use it for the tow so he could get it back to the west coast. Im flying in to Michigan, picking up his truck at Skater, driving a few hours from there to pick up the new to me boat, and then towing it back over the weekend, arriving back in Havasu on Monday some time is the plan.

Been looking for a Eliminator Daytona 25 double step hull for awhile, found the right one at the right price back there and business is slowing up for the holidays so why not, should be an adventure. Boat deals are easier to get when the boat is covered in snow.

The boat is shrink wrapped and winterized, so I am hoping the shrink wrap holds for the tow home.

Ill keep you posted.

hallett21

Reaction score
Engine(s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotten deal

Reaction score
I am happy that worked out for both of you . Have a safe trip.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I love trips like that. Always something to remember! Have fun!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Here is Detroit airport.

CEFCD55F-D8CD-40AF-B111-10D29A81755C.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Tell me about. First time for me flying in weather like this. I’ve been in some snow but not at this level.

W.O.T. Marine

Reaction score
Very Cool! Sounds Like a fun trip. Post some pics when the snow melts off the boat!

jpf091959

Reaction score
Make sure you have the shop doubles up on the shrink wrap, especially on the bottom. You will find sand, crushed rock on the road.

Last edited:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
There’s a whole lot of nope in that picture!
That's what I was thinking. This must be one special 25' Daytona to go that far at this time of year. I would of thought for sure there'd be one on the West Coast.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Congrats on the new 25, we loved ours mostly because it was faster than Grads 25........
Rayzor, F14, & me fly into Chicago tomorrow afternoon. Hit a strip club between Chicago and Skater factory tomorrow evening. Tour Skater Friday. Drive back to my buddies place in Chicago on Saturday morning. Party allllllllll day Saturday. Fly back Sunday. One a day, hit me up if you will be around Skater factory in Douglas, MI on Friday. 925-421-five nine six nine

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Walt you had a f26 basically the same boat. Isn’t this supposed to be something new?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Congrats on the new 25, we loved ours mostly because it was faster than Grads 25........
Rayzor, F14, & me fly into Chicago tomorrow afternoon. Hit a strip club between Chicago and Skater factory tomorrow evening. Tour Skater Friday. Drive back to my buddies place in Chicago on Saturday morning. Party allllllllll day Saturday. Fly back Sunday. One a day, hit me up if you will be around Skater factory in Douglas, MI on Friday. 925-421-five nine six nine

Yeah skater is picking up at the airport on Friday morning

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Walt you had a f26 basically the same boat. Isn’t this supposed to be something new?

He had an I/O 26 Daytona too. I have it for sale. lol. He cray cray. The 25 is pretty clean, but all of Walt’s stuff is.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

I Had a Mach 26, different bottom then an eliminator 25, had an annoying hop in the 80’s and not enough power to make it through it, and it was a open bow and left and steer, two things that bug me. I sold it to a buddy of mine after a few months and he loves it. I had an f29 with twins and loved it but opted to sell it and buy a rental house in Havasu when the market crashed. I’m just not into having a 6 figure boat anymore, it works better for us to have a nice pontoon and a 40k ish boat for me.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
He had an I/O 26 Daytona too. I have it for sale. lol. He cray cray. The 25 is pretty clean, but all of Walt’s stuff is.

Yeah I’m an eliminator only guy now, great brand and they did a lot for us when my wife had cancer last year, gained a lot of life long friends.

I have had 19, 21, 22, 25, and 26 Daytona’s.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Yeah I’m an eliminator only guy now, great brand and they did a lot for us when my wife had cancer last year, gained a lot of life long friends.

I have had 19, 21, 22, 25, and 26 Daytona’s.

Twin step 25 is a solid boat. Mach’s need 800hp to compensate for the hop.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. This must be one special 25' Daytona to go that far at this time of year. I would of thought for sure there'd be one on the West Coast.

Right hand steer and twin step bottom was important for me and closed bow, that and it’s 15k below the market price here in California for similar boats. One owner boat stored in doors and it’s easy to justify a few days to go get it. Spend a grand to go get it, and I’m up 14k as soon as it gets to California if I was too sell it.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That Aint Shit ...My Wife worked for NorthWest for 15 years out of DTW My Asphalt Plant was 8 mile from there on 94 Then she spent time in Miami Ft Lauderdale and Phx Ive seen a Lot worse

For a born and raised Cali guy. I have no idea what planes can fly in snow wise. Apparently it was nothing, took off and landed no problem.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much did the same thing as OAD is doing except I went to Lake Cumberland to get a Daytona. Left Dec 26 and was back NY weekend, it was a cold icy trip especially in KY.
Took my young daughters and it was memorable trip.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Right hand steer and twin step bottom was important for me and closed bow, that and it’s 15k below the market price here in California for similar boats. One owner boat stored in doors and it’s easy to justify a few days to go get it. Spend a grand to go get it, and I’m up 14k as soon as it gets to California if I was too sell it.
Glad I am not the only one that HAS to have right hand steer. Left is such a deal killer. Love the twin step too, a lot more space in the interior vs. the single step. Congratulations on the new ride, can't wait to see pics.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
"Congrats". I hope you got the winter discount brrrrrrrrrr...

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What years were the twin step 25 daytona manufactured?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Post pics of the factory tour! One of the places I have always wanted to hit!

port austin pirate

Reaction score
Boat comes with a couple rolls for the trip.

Gonna need pants I’m thinking.

View attachment 607836
that's the reason I no longer reside in Mi, Great people though, and beautifull place to be in the summer, good luck on your trip be carefull if you've not driven much in ice en snow it is extremely dangerous, much more so if towing

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What years were the twin step 25 daytona manufactured?

The twin step was designed with the help of Mercury as a bottom design to maximize the potential of their new BlackHawk drive at the time. Bob worked with their engineers, and when during testing it turned out that the twin step bottom worked better on all types of drives so it became pretty much the norm from the early 90's to date. The single step was faster but had a hop that was hard to shake, alot of the big horsepower blown motor builds that were built all through the 90's and 2000's were still ordered with the single step for top speed.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
that's the reason I no longer reside in Mi, Great people though, and beautifull place to be in the summer, good luck on your trip be carefull if you've not driven much in ice en snow it is extremely dangerous, much more so if towing

I grew up in New England so I have had my share of drifting practice over the years, although sliding a trailer I have not done. Snow really doesnt faze me after spending so many years driving in it, its ice that is the problem.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score

Thats off the list unfortunately, Mike Veldhoff from Skater has the truck at his shop at his house and the house is much closer to the airport then the Skater factory so I am just going there and get on the road home as soon as possible.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
My father had a twin step right hand drive Daytona. It had about 800 hp in it and it was the best drivers Boat. It didn’t do anything weird and any speed loved the 70-90 mph range. I wish I had that Boat still

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
My father had a twin step right hand drive Daytona. It had about 800 hp in it and it was the best drivers Boat. It didn’t do anything weird and any speed loved the 70-90 mph range. I wish I had that Boat still

I know the guy who has it now. Good guy. You may have even met him years ago. He just finished an engine and installed it in the boat. Don't believe he's ran it yet. Think he intends to stay N/A.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Im fine with left hand steering boats as long as they are foot throttles. I have major issues with hand throttle and shifting with my left hand on boats without the foot throttle. I cant get comfortable around the dock using the left hand to fine tune things.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome trip. Stay warm and studded tires make a big difference in real snow.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I grew up in MI.....I have advice on what to do if it starts snowing and/or the roads start to ice. STOP and get a motel and stay there until the roads are clear again!!!!!!!
I consider myself an expert winter driver due to lots of experience and bad incidents. Towing a boat that size with winter road conditions ups the chances of an accident incredibly. Just simple breaking can turn into a disaster. Better to arrive late than never.....

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Go in midsummer RD. Lake Michigan is beautiful. Get up to the Traverse City area. Probably 90 miles north of Skater HQ. You will love it up there and if you can find a boat or someone with a boat, you'll really love it.:p

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the gif’s where the chicks tits almost pop out then it starts over right be fore they spring free.....

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I love watching all the boat projects you go thru, are you selling the current twin O/B daytona?

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
The twin step was designed with the help of Mercury as a bottom design to maximize the potential of their new BlackHawk drive at the time. Bob worked with their engineers, and when during testing it turned out that the twin step bottom worked better on all types of drives so it became pretty much the norm from the early 90's to date. The single step was faster but had a hop that was hard to shake, alot of the big horsepower blown motor builds that were built all through the 90's and 2000's were still ordered with the single step for top speed.

I have a 97 25, big motor. I feel like I don't get much hop at all in any speed (up to 90). But then again, I am not sure that I ever have noticed it. I don't usually take it over 70 so maybe that is why?

Im fine with left hand steering boats as long as they are foot throttles. I have major issues with hand throttle and shifting with my left hand on boats without the foot throttle. I cant get comfortable around the dock using the left hand to fine tune things.

See mine if left hand as well and it is way more comfortable to me than a right hand drive. But maybe that is because I am a lefty.