WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Off-road Car Cage work needed

rcmike

Reaction score
The Miata was at like 300 with ZERO lag.. It was a road race car that made me giggle every time I was leaving a corner. 400 is child's play. 320 with almost no lag will be beautiful and reliable, if you have a good tuner..

rrrr

Reaction score
It looks great. Really a nice fab job.

You might want to have a better radiator shroud fabricated. With the fan tight to the radiator you are going to lose cooling capacity, and pushing it hard in the sand might result in overheating. Four hundred horsepower is gonna generate a lot of heat.

Take advantage of the space you have and build a square to round shroud at least 3" deep. If nothing else, gasket that gap between the radiator and shroud at the top and bottom.

Also consider using a rubber in shear arrangement to fasten the radiator to the tabs on the frame. It would reduce the stress on the radiator tanks.

Don't mean to sound preachy, just wanted to toss out something for consideration.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
IMG_6969.jpg
IMG_6970.jpg

Started wiring up the new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score

You might want to have a better radiator shroud fabricated. With the fan tight to the radiator you are going to lose cooling capacity, and pushing it hard in the sand might result in overheating. Four hundred horsepower is gonna generate a lot of heat.

Take advantage of the space you have and build a square to round shroud at least 3" deep. If nothing else, gasket that gap between the radiator and shroud at the top and bottom.

Also consider using a rubber in shear arrangement to fasten the radiator to the tabs on the frame. It would reduce the stress on the radiator tanks.

Don't mean to sound preachy, just wanted to toss out something for consideration.

Thank you for the tips and ideas. I’ve never built a car like this so I’m sure there will be some test and tune. From what I’ve found there’s not a lot of Honda / VW so I’m running in the dark.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looking Good! Really coming out nice!

Agreed. Something more like this would really increase your cooling capacity...if you have room for it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allstar-...=sem&msclkid=ef08fb8b3a59154d7c23a0f6a9c4c444

dfc3469c-a921-4f7b-8895-b6c74b65c439_1.92c49890669f158142aba8c932f361c5.jpeg

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Agreed that radiator will break.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
How is it going to break?

Regardless of how strong that cage is it will still twist and flex and transfer shock. Look at others how the radiator is isolated. Might get away with it I would at least keep an eye on it.

Meaney77

Reaction score
How is it going to break?

Regardless of how strong that cage is it will still twist and flex and transfer shock. Look at others how the radiator is isolated. Might get away with it I would at least keep an eye on it.

The way you have it mounted is fairly common in Baja's with water cooled motors- I dont see the issue, but what do I know. I have mine mounted under my backseat (tabed to the cage) in a 4 seat Manx and knock on wood haven't had any issues.

RaceTec

Reaction score
The way you have it mounted is fairly common in Baja's with water cooled motors- I dont see the issue, but what do I know. I have mine mounted under my backseat (tabed to the cage) in a 4 seat Manx and knock on wood haven't had any issues.
Can you post a picture of how you have yours mounted?

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I don’t think that cage is going to break the rad.

rrrr

Reaction score
I don’t think that cage is going to break the rad.

The photo of the radiator posted by ballsdeep shows the box extension on the square portion of the radiator shroud I was trying to describe. His shroud is also closely fitted, ensuring good airflow and no losses from gaps or mismatched surfaces.

I don't think flexing of the cage would affect the radiator. My concern was sudden shocks or prolonged cycles of rapid movement, for example from jumping or whoops on a firm road surface other than sand. With your radiator mounted vertically, those type of small but cumulative shear loads might cause cracking of the tanks or seperation of the core tubes from the tanks.

The 1/4"-20 mounts listed in the post above would be adequate, plus they're cheap and easy to install. They'll provide that little bit of insurance against a failure. My observations are a result of some racing experiences that include a few DNFs because of weaknesses in small overlooked methods and material. When the car has coasted to a stop, it's too late to enact preventative measures.

But take it with a grain of salt. Running a bug in the sand is probably less stressful than I'm imagining, and you can't guard against every possibility that exists.

One thing is certain though. You have a really bitchin' bug, and it looks like it's gonna fly. Have fun in it this winter.

rrrr

Reaction score
Lookin' good. It's gonna scream.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
The engine is fully rigged and runs. I’m going to go bigger turbo, billet throttle body and more boost next winter. This year I’m just driving it.
IMG_7342.jpg
IMG_7341.jpg

rrrr

Reaction score
More boost? It already looks like a leg wetter. :eek::D

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I’d drive it and see how it goes. I guess if I went to the sand dunes, I’d need a ton of HP, sand and paddles need a lot.

All I really run my car in is hardpack desert and I really have as much power as I need to run comfortably and my VW powered car is only putting out about 165HP.

It does not take a ton to make a 2k lb car fun.

Enjoy, looks like such a great build.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
More boost? It already looks like a leg wetter. :eek::D

Yeah. We will turn it up to about 14lbs. It should be around 400hp and 280 torque. I’ll do it after I beef up the trans.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I’d drive it and see how it goes. I guess if I went to the sand dunes, I’d need a ton of HP, sand and paddles need a lot.

All I really run my car in is hardpack desert and I really have as much power as I need to run comfortably and my VW powered car is only putting out about 165HP.

It does not take a ton to make a 2k lb car fun.

Enjoy, looks like such a great build.

I plan on just driving it this year. Next summer we will turn her up. It pulls the front tires no problem now. [emoji16]

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Putting new seats in and a false floor in the back to put my sons car seat on.
IMG_7359.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7367.jpg
IMG_7370.jpg
IMG_7371.jpg

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Got the car seat mount all done.
IMG_7461.jpg

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
Took the Baja out Sunday for a little. It did great. Blew a fuse to the main power relay box. I’ll put a bigger supply wire and that should cure it.
IMG_7549.jpg
IMG_7547.jpg
IMG_7547.jpg