WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

No Bullet Train

RodnJen

Reaction score
Having family that lives in Europe it blows my mind how the American left has this love affair with European rail, like it's some kind of luxury we don't have in the US. The reality is the exact opposite is true, Compared to Americans many Europeans simply can't afford to own a car (or more importantly a place to park one), and therefore are totally reliant on mass transit, not because it's a luxury, but because it has become a necessity. Americans are the ones living comparatively in luxury where most people can afford a car and a place to park it, and most households own multiple cars/trucks. We can drive directly from point a to point b, 24 hours a day, are not reliant on a train schedule, or after hour closures, etc.. etc..

That perspective has been totally lost it seems.

True but that is also a rural observation. Try getting from suburbs to any major city at rush hour, 5 days a week. It makes rail a very good option.

500bbc

Reaction score
True but that is also a rural observation. Try getting from suburbs to any major city at rush hour, 5 days a week. It makes rail a very good option.

Well yeah, because that train will stop at the grocery store when you ask nicely then drop you off at your driveway.

Dope

500bbc

Reaction score
Having family that lives in Europe it blows my mind how the American left has this love affair with European rail, like it's some kind of luxury we don't have in the US. The reality is the exact opposite is true, Compared to Americans many Europeans simply can't afford to own a car (or more importantly a place to park one), and therefore are totally reliant on mass transit, not because it's a luxury, but because it has become a necessity. Americans are the ones living comparatively in luxury where most people can afford a car and a place to park it, and most households own multiple cars/trucks. We can drive directly from point a to point b, 24 hours a day, are not reliant on a train schedule, or after hour closures, etc.. etc..

That perspective has been totally lost it seems.

Europe has always been good at moving people by rail.
Get on these trains, we'll take you someplace safe.

jet496

Reaction score
This was never more than a way to fleece the middle and upper middle class out of tax dollars to fatten the pockets of Democratic donors.

It never had a chance at ever working.
Yet the feeble minded liberals will continue to support him and his democratic cronies.

It's beyond me...

MSum661

Reaction score
https://ktla.com/2019/02/12/gov-new...d-train-from-l-a-to-san-francisco-cites-cost/

The Latest on California Gov. Gavin Newsom's state of the state (all times local):

11:20 a.m.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom says he's ending the state's effort to build a high-speed rail line between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Newsom said Tuesday in his State of the State address it "would cost too much and take too long" to build the line long championed by his predecessor, Jerry Brown. Latest estimates pin the cost at $77 billion and completion in 2033.

Newsom says he wants to continue construction of the high-speed link from Merced to Bakersfield in California's Central Valley. He says building the line could bring economic transformation to the agricultural region.

And he says abandoning that portion of the project would require the state to return $3.5 billion in federal dollars.

Newsom also is replacing Brown's head of the board that oversee the project and is pledging to hold the project's contractors more accountable for cost overruns.

The phony KTLA writers say,
Newsome, "says abandoning that portion of the project would require the state to return $3.5 billion in federal dollars."

What Newsome actually was quoted as saying,
"And by the way,” he added, “I am not interested in sending $3.5 billion in federal funding back to Donald Trump. Because that’s what it would take.”

https://cal.streetsblog.org/2019/02...the-central-valley-is-not-a-train-to-nowhere/

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

And people in So-Cal still opt to drive (which is why rush hour on the fwy is so busy), because having the luxury of getting all the way from point a to point b on their own schedule, and own route, with the ability to make their own stops, is still superior for most. Most people don't want to walk even 1/2 a mile in the morning to the station/depot...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Rod, your theory is disproven by more than 1 million illegal immigrants that obtained driver licenses in CA. Even they are smart enough to know it is cheaper, easier and safer to drive a car in So Cal than use any from of mass transit.

If the rail and bus systems were so great and helpful, their ridership would not be at the lowest recorded levels.

500bbc

Reaction score
Where are the trains going?? :confused:o_O

Someone's definition of safe, libturds want us out of our vehicles as much as they want to disarm us.

Holocaust jewish victims.jpg

RodnJen

Reaction score
And people in So-Cal still opt to drive (which is why rush hour on the fwy is so busy), because having the luxury of getting all the way from point a to point b on their own schedule, and own route, with the ability to make their own stops, is still superior for most. Most people don't want to walk even 1/2 a mile in the morning to the station/depot...

Says a lot doesn’t it.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Rod, your theory is disproven by more than 1 million illegal immigrants that obtained driver licenses in CA. Even they are smart enough to know it is cheaper, easier and safer to drive a car in So Cal than use any from of mass transit.

If the rail and bus systems were so great and helpful, their ridership would not be at the lowest recorded levels.

Ridership is declining because people don’t need to go to the same place at the same time every day. This is because we are now a service and information economy rather than a manufacturing economy.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Ridership is declining because people don’t need to go to the same place at the same time every day. This is because we are now a service and information economy rather than a manufacturing economy.

Oh, so all the immigrants and The other people that are "Doing the jobs we won't" are working from home now?

You are better than this Rod. Use your critical thinking skills.

Low wage jobs are the exact opposite of what you describe. Those people need to be in the same place at the same time, every day, and generally live far from where they work. They all got off the bus when they realized driving legally was attainable, affordable, and allowed them more freedom.

The people that work in the "Service and Information" economy are scared of being on mass transit because of vagrants and crime in and around the transportation hubs. Plus they don't want to be tied into a set transportation schedule, because the LA area has huge amounts of urban sprawl that cannot be serviced easily by mass transit, or trains. It is simply not an efficient use of time or money to use trains or buses.

Last edited:

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
So we should build more trains?

And expand the USPS, cuz people are using email.

Solid, Rodn, solid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

thetub

Reaction score

500 i retract my questioning of ole Rod .

this guys gotta be the dumbest motherfu-cker in the solar system....

500bbc

Reaction score
Oh, so all the immigrants and under paid people that are "Doing the jobs we won't" are working from home now?

You are better than this Rod. Use your critical thinking skills.

Low wage jobs are the exact opposite of what you describe. Those people need to be in the same place at the same time, every day, and generally live far from where they work. They all got off the bus when they realized driving legally was attainable, affordable, and allowed them more freedom.

The people that work in the "Service and Information" economy are scared of being on mass transit because of vagrants and crime in and around the transportation hubs. Plus they don't want to be tied into a set transportation schedule, because the LA area has huge amounts of urban sprawl that cannot be serviced easily by mass transit, or trains. It is simply not an efficient use of time or money to use trains or buses.
He's an idiot

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Well, apparently, Newsom has flip-flopped (or maybe it was all a mis-understanding of the context of his State of the State Speech???), but he is saying the HSR project is still on. Just focusing on the the Merced to Bakersfield section, but continuing to work on the S.F. and LA routes. Basically, sounds like he isn't changing much of the current rail plan. Stating he wants it all completed by 2027 or 2028. Maybe because Trump called for the $3.5 billion to be returned, so Newsom reversed course and hit the gas pedal on the project. Here's one article on it:

https://abc30.com/politics/gov-newsom-visits-central-valley-signs-two-new-bills/5136817/

spectras only

Reaction score
Europe started building its transit system network before the turn of the century. They laid the tracks those still exists. The network consist light rail, street cars and buses. One can hop on the bus or street cars every five minutes to get around the city, very convenient. Light trains [ electric locos with passenger cars ] usually run every 30 minutes to service distances up to 100kms radius. Long range travel by train to cities further away is not as frequent as light train schedules. When I grew up in Budapest, I used the public transit, because it was cheaper than filling the gas tank in my motorcycle. ;) People owning cars were parking their vehicles on work days and used their cars on weekends getting out of the city, enjoying change of scenery.In the commie countries, hidden taxes covered medicare and transit along other services to the majority of the populace. Sadly it reflected on your monthly paycheck that most people lived by. When I lived in Vancouver from 1971 on, we still had rails there with factories that all disappeared by now. The whole city is all built up with no chance of returning rails and streetcars. We had Skytrain built for EXpo86, it required expropriation of a lot of homes, and the line was only benefited people who lived along the A to B section. I lived in the burb of Port Coquitlam, a 20 to 30 min by car to work. If I wanted to use transit, I'd have had to use two bus routes connecting Skytrain, that would take minimum 1 hour to my work in Burnaby.
So, to build an efficient network in California for every one to benefit from [ not just a strait line of Merced to Bakersfield Newsom wants :rolleyes:] could triple easily than it's estimated cost, that most taxpayers don't want to roll the dice on.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Europe started building its transit system network before the turn of the century. They laid the tracks those still exists. The network consist light rail, street cars and buses. One can hop on the bus or street cars every five minutes to get around the city, very convenient. Light trains [ electric locos with passenger cars ] usually run every 30 minutes to service distances up to 100kms radius. Long range travel by train to cities further away is not as frequent as light train schedules. When I grew up in Budapest, I used the public transit, because it was cheaper than filling the gas tank in my motorcycle. ;) People owning cars were parking their vehicles on work days and used their cars on weekends getting out of the city, enjoying change of scenery.In the commie countries, hidden taxes covered medicare and transit along other services to the majority of the populace. Sadly it reflected on your monthly paycheck that most people lived by. When I lived in Vancouver from 1971 on, we still had rails there with factories that all disappeared by now. The whole city is all built up with no chance of returning rails and streetcars. We had Skytrain built for EXpo86, it required expropriation of a lot of homes, and the line was only benefited people who lived along the A to B section. I lived in the burb of Port Coquitlam, a 20 to 30 min by car to work. If I wanted to use transit, I'd have had to use two bus routes connecting Skytrain, that would take minimum 1 hour to my work in Burnaby.
So, to build an efficient network in California for every one to benefit from [ not just a strait line of Merced to Bakersfield Newsom wants :rolleyes:] could triple easily than it's estimated cost, that most taxpayers don't want to roll the dice on.

Have you been to Merced and Bakersfield?
It baffles me that THIS is a route that benefits anyone.

spectras only

Reaction score
Europe started building its transit system network before the turn of the century. They laid the tracks those still exist
Have you been to Merced and Bakersfield?
It baffles me that THIS is a route that benefits anyone.

No, I haven't but reckon it's in the desert:D

Our Skytrain dealio is ongoing still. Don't even know how many billions it did cost so far, but here's an interesting info https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-skytrain-construction-soars-to-500m-per-k-but-why-is-confidential

The NDP commissioned the detailed budget for the project, vetted the numbers, and know what each component is expected to cost. They just aren’t telling the taxpaying public anything about it.

$500 mil per km [ .6 mile ] and it's confidential info the average Joe will never find out how much.:rolleyes:

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Europe started building its transit system network before the turn of the century. They laid the tracks those still exist

No, I haven't but reckon it's in the desert:D

Our Skytrain dealio is ongoing still. Don't even know how many billions it did cost so far, but here's an interesting info https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/vaughn-palmer-skytrain-construction-soars-to-500m-per-k-but-why-is-confidential

The NDP commissioned the detailed budget for the project, vetted the numbers, and know what each component is expected to cost. They just aren’t telling the taxpaying public anything about it.

$500 mil per km [ .6 mile ] and it's confidential info the average Joe will never find out how much.:rolleyes:

It’s like linking Regina with the next available settlement.

brgrcru

Reaction score

on your last sentence. your wrong, the idiot voters in this state like to pay more taxes. just ask the dem. idiots on this site that live in Commiefornia.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
QUOTE :TRUMP
"California has been forced to cancel the massive bullet train project after having spent and wasted many billions of dollars. They owe the Federal Government three and a half billion dollars. We want that money back now. Whole project is a “green” disaster!"

spectras only

Reaction score
QUOTE :TRUMP
"California has been forced to cancel the massive bullet train project after having spent and wasted many billions of dollars. They owe the Federal Government three and a half billion dollars. We want that money back now. Whole project is a “green” disaster!"

Yeah, sea of 'green' wasted so far alright!:D