WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New York? Need recommendations!

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
My son (15 year old) wants to go to New York. We have family in Pittsburg so we figured we'd fly out to see them and stay a few nights in New York. I have never been to New York either and am completely clueless about making arrangements. We are going to be going the end of June and would like to see all the touristy sites like the Statue of Liberty and the Empire state building. Any suggestions on the following?

If we fly into New York, which airport?

What hotels would you recommend staying at? Is it easier to stay in a suburb and take the subway in, or to stay downtown?

Should we do a couple days in Washington DC also?

I offered up a cruise instead because I don't feel like planning all this crap, but my son is set on going to New York and I want to come through for him:thumbsup

Thanks ahead of time for any info:)

HallettBill

Reaction score
I would try to stay around Times Square, expensive but it's the heart of the city. Empire State Building is a great view of the city, if it's a nice day. We took the boat tour around Manhattan and enjoyed that. They have boat tours that go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island that are nice also. Take the subway down to the 9-11 memorial, it's well done and worth the trip. Wall Street is near the memorial and worth the walk over. And I recommend that you get out and walk around. Every block is like another city. Just don't go north of Central Park. The horse carriage tour of the park is fun also.
And if you fly into LaGuardia(LGA) it's a great view of manhatten on the way in and out.

fmo24

Reaction score
Times Square is pretty central to everything. Ride the red double decker bus. You can get on and off all day long plus it helps give you an opportunity to see how the city is laid out so you can go back to where you like.

also if cabbing it to hotel ask for flat rate as soon as you get into cab.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Marriott Marquis in times square... Great location... Hop on Hop off if a great way to see and hear about the city.

The other ideas above are great too... Just remember it will take you twice as long as you think to get anywhere.

I love going to NYC... My favorite big city.

Joker

Reaction score
We stayed at the W in Times Square and loved it. Also stayed at the London which was a bit older but great. Not in Times Square but central to everything.
Go to Grimaldis in Brooklyn for great pizza.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
LaGuardia for sure. Midtown Hiton is central to 4 subway routes. Visit the 911 memorial for sure. 4 blocks from central park. 7 blocks to Times square. Rockefeller Plaza is worth a few hours!

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Bring lots of cash! I cringe when I visit my daughter, its amazing how much you spend when there.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Diesel bus fumes and the smell of piss... Anyhoo the Warner Bros studio store is the shit.

JD D05

Reaction score
New York is a pretty unique place that pulls you in. I love little Italy myself.

Need to visit ground zero.

jet496

Reaction score
New York is a pretty unique place that pulls you in. I love little Italy myself.

Need to visit ground zero.

This and go up in the World Trade One Observatory building that's onsite at Ground Zero for a 360 degree view. The sit down restaurant at top has fantastic food & great gourmet burgers.

Time Square is bad ass.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Birdland, if you're in to jazz and some great music. If drummer Tommy Igoe and his big band are appearing, don't miss them. Other than that, just jump in and be a tourist. The people of NYC are proud of their town, want to share it and are ready to help you when they can. EAT - so many great restaurants. The small family owned are often the best. Avoid the nation wide chain restaurants. Why go there when in NYC? For me, a great town to visit for about 3-4 days, then I'm back to Az and LHC.

Joker

Reaction score
Birdland, if you're in to jazz and some great music. If drummer Tommy Igoe and his big band are appearing, don't miss them. Other than that, just jump in and be a tourist. The people of NYC are proud of their town, want to share it and are ready to help you when they can. EAT - so many great restaurants. The small family owned are often the best. Avoid the nation wide chain restaurants. Why go there when in NYC? For me, a great town to visit for about 3-4 days, then I'm back to Az and LHC.

Someone on here recommended Birdland to us several years back, we took our kid there and it was horrible[emoji849]. The performer could hardly breathe and we tried to leave but couldn't. It was definitely an experience.[emoji16]

Beerme

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions...we are thinking the same thing, 3-4 days and definitely Ground Zero. Also thinking about picking up a baseball game.

530RL

Reaction score
Flying into any of the three airports is fine so I wold go with whatever is cheapest.

If you are worried about the time to get to the city and are staying downtown, Newark is sometimes the best.

Stay in the city anywhere mid-town to down-town. It is expensive but you just have to bite the bullett. There are literally hundreds of hotels to choose from some better and some worse. We typically stay at the Kimberly which is between Lexington and Third on 50th street. It is a boutique hotel so not as expensive as some of the larger flagged chains. http://www.kimberlyhotel.com

You can pretty much walk anywhere from midtown which is why we typically stay midtown.

There are tons of things to do all within walking distance or a short cab ride. A circle line cruise on day one is helpful because it gives you an idea of where you are. Central Park is free and has plenty to see and do. If you have kids, the Central Park zoo is pretty awesome for an hour or two. Someone mentioned the Intrepid, also a pretty cool deal.

You can take the 7 express out to the stadium for a baseball game.

Depending upon your tastes, you can do a play, go to ground zero, spend time at the park, go to all sorts of over-priced retail shops or simply walk all over the place. Someone suggested Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. That is a nice trip especially for middle aged kids. If you book real early like as in now, you can go into the statue of liberty, otherwise you just get to walk around it. Link here https://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/visit-the-crown.htm The Ellis Island tour is the most informative and typically dispels what most people think about how our families came to America.

There are all sorts of big restaurants in the City but the little ones are by the thousands and typically pretty good. We usually just walk around until the wife finds something on a menu she likes.

Security is now much more of a cluster fuck for obvious reasons. Give yourself ample time when leaving due to traffic and longer times at the airport.

And at night after the kids go to sleep, hit a local watering hole. They are all pretty cool.

minijeep

Reaction score
I used to live outside NYC for a couple years. I loved heading in once or twice a month to the city. I would agree with all the recommendations above, but would add if you have the time Washington DC is one of my favorite places to go, lots of history and interesting stuff to see. If you can stay around the mall area, get an account for the rental bikes and have a blast going from place to place! Just my 2cents

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Pizza - Lucali's in Carroll Gardens Brooklyn is one of the best. They don't take reservations and don't play favorites. Seinfeld, Beyonce etc have had to sit outside and wait. The menu is not large and changes by the day according to available fresh ingedredients. And it is BYOB without a corkage fee. Most bring their own wine selections. You'll see tables of strangers sampling each other's wines. Great place.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Someone on here recommended Birdland to us several years back, we took our kid there and it was horrible[emoji849]. The performer could hardly breathe and we tried to leave but couldn't. It was definitely an experience.[emoji16]

Sorry you had the bad experience. But, since the place has been open since 1949 your experience can't be the norm. If you're looking for hip hop, rap, heavy metal etc. it is not the place to find it. "Tried but couldn't leave", sounds a bit like an OJ style kidnapping. Bad deal.

sirbob

Reaction score
Fly into what ever airport gets you the flight times and prices you want - any one of the three are fine and no big benefit of one over the other.

Plan on walking and enjoying the city.

If you need to get from Central park to ground zero - take a cab, but generally speaking if you are staying near Times square you can walk to a lot of great stuff in the city and you will "see" it more by walking.

I would also plan a day hanging around SOHO - walk the neighborhood between NYU and Canal street. Nice stores / galleries / restaurants. Im a big fan of Cipriani's on Broadway in SOHO for dinner or lunch - try to get a sidewalk table.

Have fun!

Joker

Reaction score
Pick an app for your phone as well for subway routes and times. This made our travels much easier. We did the double decker bus but got tired of it after a bit.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
How long of a trip are you able to plan? You could fly in to Pittsburgh and visit the family then get a car and drive to New York City. It is not that far of a ride.

Stay there for a few days and head down to DC on a train or get another car. Fly out of DC or come back to da burg and fly out.

Having said that, i do not enjoy going to NYC and i could care less if i ever go again.

Joker

Reaction score
Sorry you had the bad experience. But, since the place has been open since 1949 your experience can't be the norm. If you're looking for hip hop, rap, heavy metal etc. it is not the place to find it. "Tried but couldn't leave", sounds a bit like an OJ style kidnapping. Bad deal.

The setting was awesome as was the food that came with the price of admission. I think the guy was just having a bad night as he couldn't catch a breath to play the horn.:thumbup:

Beerme

Reaction score
How long of a trip are you able to plan? You could fly in to Pittsburgh and visit the family then get a car and drive to New York City. It is not that far of a ride.

Stay there for a few days and head down to DC on a train or get another car. Fly out of DC or come back to da burg and fly out.

Having said that, i do not enjoy going to NYC and i could care less if i ever go again.

This is exactly what we are thinking of doing. It looks like it is a 5-6 hour drive from Pitt, I'm just not sure if I can drive my rental right into NYC, or return it close and ride a rail into New York?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Driving in NYC is not much of a problem. Lots of traffic, so they're going slow. You just know where and when someone is going to stop. Parking in NYC can be a problem.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
This is exactly what we are thinking of doing. It looks like it is a 5-6 hour drive from Pitt, I'm just not sure if I can drive my rental right into NYC, or return it close and ride a rail into New York?

There are a few routes to take from Pgh, i would avoid going through Philly at all costs and get off the turnpike and run north of Harrisburg. Smooth sailing, I was just there last month and that is the way we went this time.

I'd get on the phone with the car rental company of choice. I'm sure they or your hotel of choice could point you in the right direction with all that.

If you keep the rental through your stay in NYC you will park it and forget about it till you leave.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Battery Park on a nice morn as the sun comes up.

530RL

Reaction score

That's a long drive in traffic.

You can take the Amtrak but it is over 9 hours. On the positive side it goes through some pretty scenic country. Kids should be 50 percent off with a coupon.

I'd fly but here is a link on train service.

https://www.amtrak.com/pennsylvanian-train

Beerme

Reaction score

You can take the Amtrak but it is over 9 hours. On the positive side it goes through some pretty scenic country. Kids should be 50 percent off with a coupon.

I'm having my wife look into this today. Having never been to the northeast, a scenic train ride may be fun. Hopefully they have a bar on the train.:beer

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score

I just made the trip and from Pittsburgh, there is no real traffic till you get in to NYC as long as you don't stay on the PA turnpike through Philadelphia and plan your trip to not get to NYC during rush hour. I've driven there all 3 of the quickest ways and going the Allentown route is much better than the southern or northern route.

The PA turnpike tolls are out of control so i try to avoid it as much as possible if i have the time. Depending on what you drive you will pay more in tolls than fuel.

I've been on the train that goes through horseshoe curve. It's nice and i agree it is very scenic but it takes a long time.