WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New truck

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Yesterday as I was driving to town I noticed that the price of diesel had gone from $3.25 to $3.68 in two days. I was also thinking that my duramax was now out of warranty (I was on the way to the dealer to pick it up after a $400 repair for a bad switch). I really liked the duramax but after 5 1/2 years I thought it my be time for a change. The old truck wound up staying with the dealer and I drove home a new Denali pickup ............. It's gonna be different, gas - diesel & 1/2 ton - 3/4 ton. Now gas will probally go higher than diesel. Anyone have any experience with the 6.2 motor GMC is using these days? It's 35 miles from the dealership to home and uphill all the way ~ 3000 feet elevation gain. The computer told me I got 13.4 mpg going home so thats a liilte bit encouraging.

cc322

Reaction score
Dont know much about the 6.2 since I am a Ford guy, but congrats on the new truck. As far as the diesel vs gas war, I fill that there will be some new gas motors on there way out from all mfg that will be as good if not pretty damn close to the diesel engines in the near future. One really needs to ask themselves if the extra cost now days for fuel and maintanance is really worth it. I guess it is if you tow heavy every day. I have a SD crew cab 4x4 V10 and love the truck, but it is not a daily driver, and my boat stays out in Havi, so the gas motor works fine for me, when I pass a gas station and I look at the fuel cost of diesel i just cant believe it, it aint right, anyhow congrats I am sure you will be happy.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
The duramax was my daily driver (if I go anywhere) but I never used it for anything heavy. The boat is only 18 on a single axle trailer and the only other thing I tow is a 14 foor trailer with the quads on it. The duramax was sorta over kill.

Always Floored

Reaction score
I had a 6.2 in my 07 denali. I hated it, but I did tow heavier items. Mine was an SUV. I had alot of computer problems with it and got rid of after 6 months. I think I just got a bad one though. Congrats on the new truck, I hope it is good to you.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
When I bought my Duramax last March, Diesel was 30 cents cheaper per gallon than gasoline. I estimated that I would make up the upcharge for diesel within 20,000 miles. Needless to say, that calculation has gone out the window.

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
i have a 95 ford f-350 with a 460 i tow a 31' 5th wheel = 11,000lbs i get 7-8 mpg i have been looking at diesels and did some math i figured the diesel would get 12 mpg so i would save 29$ on a 200 mille trip so im going to keep my paid off truck

congrats on the new rig

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Driving around Simi Valley this morning Diesel was between $3.98 and $4.04 a gallon everyplace.
It's going to climb higher.

If one is planning heavy towing above 14K lbs, the V10 Ford and 8.1 gas GM are no longer available.
Ya pretty much have no choice but Diesel.

Ya made a good choice with the 6.2.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
am I the only one that bought the duramax to burn off rear tires:D... come on you guys lets get with the program.... :D

its starting to sound like a vagasil commercial in here with all the whining about fuel mileage.;):D:joke

Always Floored

Reaction score
am I the only one that bought the duramax to burn off rear tires:D... come on you guys lets get with the program.... :D

its starting to sound like a vagasil commercial in here with all the whining about fuel mileage.;):D:joke

You want to hear about some bad milage. I have a Nissan Titan, great truck by the way, I just bought a new 31 ft travel trailer. I was towing home from Valencia up the grade on the 14 Freeway and was getting 3.5 mpg. I am serious when I say I watched the gauge move. I miss the hell out of my diesel.

kgt

Reaction score
I have a 07 d-max, lbz...love it...never buy a truck for fuel mileage, thats what i tell everyone at my dealer, want mileage, by a moped...:D

cc322

Reaction score
Driving around Simi Valley this morning Diesel was between $3.98 and $4.04 a gallon everyplace.
It's going to climb higher.

If one is planning heavy towing above 14K lbs, the V10 Ford and 8.1 gas GM are no longer available.
Ya pretty much have no choice but Diesel.

Ya made a good choice with the 6.2.

Correction the Ford V10 is still available in 2008, this is the best gas engine out right now if you didnt want to go diesel.

cc322

Reaction score
I have a 07 d-max, lbz...love it...never buy a truck for fuel mileage, thats what i tell everyone at my dealer, want mileage, by a moped...:D

I dont think everyone is complaining about mileage, its the cost of the diesel fuel over the gas? Just dosent seem right. Just out of curiousity i wonder if we are in the middle east do to the oil?????? :confused: ;)

Chico&Zeus

35' Nordic Flame
Reaction score
Like I've said 1000 times before, get your company to pay for your fuel....I don't even look at the prices anymore:D

Phat Matt

Box Pimp
Reaction score
When I bought my Duramax last March, Diesel was 30 cents cheaper per gallon than gasoline. I estimated that I would make up the upcharge for diesel within 20,000 miles. Needless to say, that calculation has gone out the window.

When I bought my Excursion in '03 diesel was $1.39. :eek:

It lasted for a little while. :swear

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
When I bought my Excursion in '03 diesel was $1.39. :eek:

It lasted for a little while. :swear

For a little while at least.

Then my Duramax made me buy a 40' Fifth wheel. The upcharge of the diesel extends beyond that of itself. :D

larryflynt

Reaction score
bought an 07 denali xl in november 06. by myself pussy footin it have seen 18.0. 14 or 15 is real world. pulling a v nose snowmobile trailer @ 77 mph we see 9.5. the real test will be when the 27 shadow arrives.
the magna flow exhaust and k & n cold air helped. also put on ground force springs, hotchis sway bars and 22" mht wheels. waiting for tuner to show up. over all great truck and no problems.
bk