WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New member from U.K with Blown v8 Schiada

number76

Reaction score
I almost forgot to say a big thank you to Stan for taking the time out to send me over some stickers!

So thanks Stan, and for your time with the gearbox coupling and shims etc..

and here they are!

Jrork:

I love the boat too....even more so now i have dug her out and things are moving along!

Attachments

• Schiada logo.jpg
    Schiada logo.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 596

number76

Reaction score
Just to keep the thread going!:thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_0713r.jpg
    IMG_0713r.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 515

number76

Reaction score
Hi RD, here is a pic of my spare unit and the one fitted in my Schiada, have no idea about them maybe someone can fill me in?

says on the spare 61000.1 on the back says 61000.2 also says 1/2 on a few area's too...

and the same on the one in the boat... so fill me in guys!

anyone with any info on the V-drives i have would you pls post up and let me know too...if there are different models?, what gears etc, make is clear but is there different models? why does it say 1/2 on some of the casings?, and whats the 6000.1/6000.2 numbers mean? servicing guidelines?, oil? & generall care of them...

any info welcome!

:thumbsup

Attachments

• IMG_0788r.jpg
    IMG_0788r.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0787r.jpg
    IMG_0787r.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

BamBam

Reaction score
I helped build that boat #55 "FOXY" Glad to see it is being well kept. I can vividly remember towing that boat to LAX to be shipped to Belgium via ELAL Air Lines. The Israeli security was all over that thing and almost did not let it ship. The 1/2 stamped on the case is an indication of the thickness of the center plate. If you mic the blue plate it will measure 1/2" thick. Casale also set up v-drives with 3/8" plates. As for the other numbers I don't know. Hopefully someone else here can help out. Happy boating and I love mine too! As for the gear ratio I think it was built with 55% or 48% overdrive.

Last edited:

number76

Reaction score
Hi BamBam, thanks for taking the time to reply!

You did help build her?, thats cool, what was your input on the build if you remember?, and yes i am trying to keep her in good condition!, learning as i go along, these kind of boats dont come up in the U.K.!

How come the security at the shippers nearly did not let her go?

Thanks for your info on the V-Drive unit, its nice to know whats what and what i have :)

thanks again :thumbsup

BamBam

Reaction score
They're Isreali and security is always tight. We were under shuch a time crunch to get it done and gone. There was quite a bit of coordination to get it on that flight, being it's such a large item and all. The thing was wrapped tip to tail top to bottom in saran wrap (plastic stretch wrap). So you could not really see inside. I think they were concerned about other stuff being shipped in there with it. I remember the pictures like the one posted earlier of the boat running. Completely opposite of the pics you see from the Austrailian Ski Races. That boat was raced hard. A testiment to Schiada. As for my input on the boat. I was a rigger, I built, fit and installed parts on that and many other Schiada V-dirives. :thumbsup

SuperDave013

Reaction score
says on the spare 61000.1 on the back says 61000.2 also says 1/2 on a few area's too...

and the same on the one in the boat... so fill me in guys!

Those numbers mean you have a 10 degree v drive. They made them in 8, 10 and 12 degree.

If you ever want/need to change gear ratios it's pretty easy but you'll need a special bearing puller. If and when it gets to that time just ask and we'll get ya all fixed up.

number76

Reaction score
They're Isreali and security is always tight. We were under shuch a time crunch to get it done and gone. There was quite a bit of coordination to get it on that flight, being it's such a large item and all. The thing was wrapped tip to tail top to bottom in saran wrap (plastic stretch wrap). So you could not really see inside. I think they were concerned about other stuff being shipped in there with it. I remember the pictures like the one posted earlier of the boat running. Completely opposite of the pics you see from the Austrailian Ski Races. That boat was raced hard. A testiment to Schiada. As for my input on the boat. I was a rigger, I built, fit and installed parts on that and many other Schiada V-dirives. :thumbsup

Thanks for that info Bam Bam!, its nice to hear good things about my boat, and to know that you had some input on the build etc, i am learning about the whole boat as i go along and with the help of you guys i am finding out all sorts about her, we got the engine inlast w/end, i am just plumbing her up now, got a g/box and just waiting for my coupler/spline drive to turn up and then hope to get out on the water, thats only if i can get my Stelling exhausts fixed, i had a text from my guy this morning who is trying to fix them he has been held up but now trying his best to do something with them, i may have to run them dry?!...or if anyone know's of a set who would ship to me?

also, i have only ever seen 1 pic of my Schiada on the water/in use!, have you any please?, or anyone at all?, i did ask Patrick from Holland but i know he is a very busy man, i would love to see some!

anyways thanks again for your help.:thumbsup

Those numbers mean you have a 10 degree v drive. They made them in 8, 10 and 12 degree.

If you ever want/need to change gear ratios it's pretty easy but you'll need a special bearing puller. If and when it gets to that time just ask and we'll get ya all fixed up.

Thanks bud!, that nice to know what i have in there..i was wondering what they mean and had not a clue...like i say its a learning curve for me and with the boat and this kind of set up being rare to say the least in the U.K.

i am so looking forward to getting her running and using her, i must say tho i am a bit nervous!, i know whats what dont get me wrong, but i have never driven an inboard, let alone something like this, so maybe any pointers from anyone would be great!...

thanks again for the post up :thumbsup

number76

Reaction score
Hi all,

Back again after a very long illness, & the Schiada has been running!!

Having a few problems tho :

Think the 1050cfm Holley Dominators are way too big, need some 850's?

Cant seem to get enough "throw" on the gearshifter?, will only push forward enough to select the first gear in the Tranny?, have i the right shifter arm?

And finally the fuel system, Can anyone who run's a Mechanical pump and a Electric pump please post up some pics of the lines/set-up?, as i think i have made an error, as i have a "T" from the Mechanical pump into the Electric pump line and think its creating a stop on the pressure...but i may be wrong!

will update the probs as and when, hope some of the guys i used to chat to are still here?, shout if you are!

Also will post up some new pics soon, and video!

Hope to have her out on the water this season!!!

thanks in advance :)

Mondorally

Reaction score
Hi all,

Back again after a very long illness, & the Schiada has been running!!

Having a few problems tho :

Think the 1050cfm Holley Dominators are way too big, need some 850's?

Cant seem to get enough "throw" on the gearshifter?, will only push forward enough to select the first gear in the Tranny?, have i the right shifter arm?

And finally the fuel system, Can anyone who run's a Mechanical pump and a Electric pump please post up some pics of the lines/set-up?, as i think i have made an error, as i have a "T" from the Mechanical pump into the Electric pump line and think its creating a stop on the pressure...but i may be wrong!

will update the probs as and when, hope some of the guys i used to chat to are still here?, shout if you are!

Also will post up some new pics soon, and video!

Hope to have her out on the water this season!!!

thanks in advance :)

Hey Danny,

Welcome back!

On the linkage - are there different holes in the arm? On my powerglide I had 2 or 3 to choose from. Took a bit of messing around to find the right holes that worked with the length of throw.

On the fuel pumps. Here is a poor pic of my setup. The line from the tanks T's off to the mechanical and electric fuel pumps (hidden behind the water line). Where it T's back together there is a check valve (below the brass colored union as the line heads vertical to the regulator) but without some better pics I can't remember exactly how it ties in. I'll see if I have any better pics at home.
attachment.php

Cheers!

-Justin

number76

Reaction score
Hi bud, how's it going!

Thanks for the pic and info, i dont have a Check valve (is that a non-return valve?) in my lines anywhere!?...

Will post up a pic of what i have, its hard to see really but :

Mechanical pump out into a 90' then into a "T" thats linked into the output side of my Barry Grant Electric pump, that "T" is in the line that feeds the two regulators that you can see in the pic... just thought that maybe i have fed it all wrong?

On the Gearbox side of things its a solid arm they sent me over, no holes for adjustment at all...see pic!

Finally, another problem, see pic again, is the Hardy Spicer on my TH400 i have is missing the "Caps" (no idea if thats the right word!), i have had to just bend a bit of metal over to hold the propshaft U.J. in place while we was starting it all...anyone have any idea's who sells these?, or maybe has some?, as no one in the U.K. has a clue, please!

thanks for now :)

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 578
  • IMG_4259.jpg
    IMG_4259.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 552

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Hi bud, how's it going!

Thanks for the pic and info, i dont have a Check valve (is that a non-return valve?) in my lines anywhere!?...

Will post up a pic of what i have, its hard to see really but :

Mechanical pump out into a 90' then into a "T" thats linked into the output side of my Barry Grant Electric pump, that "T" is in the line that feeds the two regulators that you can see in the pic... just thought that maybe i have fed it all wrong?

On the Gearbox side of things its a solid arm they sent me over, no holes for adjustment at all...see pic!

Finally, another problem, see pic again, is the Hardy Spicer on my TH400 i have is missing the "Caps" (no idea if thats the right word!), i have had to just bend a bit of metal over to hold the propshaft U.J. in place while we was starting it all...anyone have any idea's who sells these?, or maybe has some?, as no one in the U.K. has a clue, please!

thanks for now :)

When i first saw that i was like WHOOOOAAAAAHHHH!!!! i thought someone had run it like that!!!!!

BTW: We never use a cap style u-joint yoke, only press together ones. we use something like this http://www.streetperformance.com/part/richmond-gear/universal-joint-yoke/1182289-sy1330.html

FrznJim

Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of my red boat. It looks like you have a similar setup with a cam driven fuel pump and Holley electric fuel pump, although mine is a twin turbo motor. I only use the electric pump to get the motor started (like a primer). You probably have a fuel regulator after the pumps or maybe an internal regulator on the electric fuel pump, or both. The twin turbo motor really wants the fuel pressure, hence, the electric pump. I know the motor wouldn't start (no fuel) when the electric pump gave up the ghost.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

number76

Reaction score
When i first saw that i was like WHOOOOAAAAAHHHH!!!! i thought someone had run it like that!!!!!

BTW: We never use a cap style u-joint yoke, only press together ones. we use something like this http://www.streetperformance.com/part/richmond-gear/universal-joint-yoke/1182289-sy1330.html

Thanks for that Racey is the "Caps" Style old hat then?, still, i do need some!, and no, she was not run like that!

Here's a couple pics of my red boat. It looks like you have a similar setup with a cam driven fuel pump and Holley electric fuel pump, although mine is a twin turbo motor. I only use the electric pump to get the motor started (like a primer). You probably have a fuel regulator after the pumps or maybe an internal regulator on the electric fuel pump, or both. The twin turbo motor really wants the fuel pressure, hence, the electric pump. I know the motor wouldn't start (no fuel) when the electric pump gave up the ghost

<<Thanks so much for the pics!, helps us out a bit, have you a non return valve in the lines somewhere?, also, looking at your set up, it seems like, and i feel a right idiot saying this, looks to me like i have my Mechanical pump rigged up wrong!, have i got the inlet in the outlet side?, this would be maybe why when its all connected up and we try and get some fuel pressure, its very low, then if we block off the Mechanical pump and just run the Electric pump we get pressure and she will run!?....is it sucking the fuel back out of the lines instead of pushing it in?...oh i dunno!...

another pic of my pumps...

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 534

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
Maybe you could entice Stan to come over and help you out for a week on the final rigging ??? :D:D, or Mike ??? :D:D, they'd git er done !!!!

number76

Reaction score
Maybe you could entice Stan to come over and help you out for a week on the final rigging ??? :D:D, or Mike ??? :D:D, they'd git er done !!!!

Now, there's a thought!

It's so much more difficult here in the U.K. to build something like this, no one understands or really wants to know/help... its different for you guys as V8 engines are everywhere and all the parts you need (parts in inches, not mm like we have here!) simple bolts have to be special orders etc..

I'll keep on it tho, will be all worth it when she is done :)

Schi-502

Reaction score
Great thread! And I don't even detect an accent!

number76

Reaction score
Was that Kim Lumley's old boat?

Sure was!

On a different matter :

Does anyone here run two 1050cfm Holley Dominators on a Blower?....speak up if you do i need some help please!!!....:thumbsup

420HOA

FIRM MEMBER
Reaction score
Sure was!

On a different matter :

Does anyone here run two 1050cfm Holley Dominators on a Blower?....speak up if you do i need some help please!!!....:thumbsup

Run them on this boat and plan on running them on this one. Whats your questions ?

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,258
  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 210

number76

Reaction score
Hi 420HOA!

Wow, thats very very nice i have to say! (any more pics?)

Well, as you have prob read on my thread my Schiada has been a very long, drawn out project that i am just trying my best to finish now after some illness...

We have her running, there was a small issue with fuel lines but think i have that sorted now, being over here in the U.K. there is little or no people who can help/advise me on setting her up!, when we got her running she was reving up and then nearly cutting out etc etc...i must admit we was low on Gas and only running on the Electric fuel pump as i could not get her to run with the Mechanical pump joined in?, i later found out that my "Mechanic" only had the inlet and outlet round the wrong way!

So i have sorted that and have not had chance to fire her up again, but i would just like to know some basic set up guides for my engine ( 1050's x2 and a 8/71 Mooneyham blower see pics), any basic do's and dont would be great as i would love to get her to idle, even hunt a little as that sounds awsome, then maybe, just maybe i might be able to get her out on the water this year!, remember, we dont have much Sun here in England and you have to get in while the going's good so to speak :)

I really dont want to have to buy another set of smaller carbs like say demon's 850?, as i would have to change so much and time and more so money will just not keep on going!, this is why i have asked for anyone who runs these Carbs to pls have a say, on how they set them up, how they idle/run and also would be very interesting to know is how much to fill your tanks up full, and how long does the Gas last?.....

Really any thing y'all can think of to help might just be the difference of me using her, or again, for another year, not.

...................................................................................................

A few other probs too:

Cant find any "Caps" for the Hardy Spicer (Th400 tranny coupling, again see pic of parts i need!)

The "throw" on my gearshift lever wont move enough to get her past the first gear, there's plenty of room and nothing getting caught up, as i have had it all off and checked that out, new cable too, just when you look at the cable moving down at the Tranny it just plain does not have enought slide back and forth to get all the gears?, do i just re-drill the hole higher on the arm from the Tranny?...anyone who may have a pic of their arm on there TH400 would be a help pls!

Non-return fuel valves : does anyone run them?, if so where are they in your fuel lines set up?, and what would you suggest to buy?

I think thats all for now!, like i said any help no matter how small please do post it up, nice to know that someone uses 1050's and can have a idling engine!,

you guys are my last hope!,

thanks for now,

Danny.

Cos

Reaction score
Danny,

Is there anyone over there who drag races cars with blown gas setups? It would seem to me that they would be your best resource to help set up the engine on this deal and get you running well as far as fuel, timing, and other tuning issues that you are having.

number76

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the post up,

Oh dont get me started!, i have had "Help" from a Drag racer here and years on i'm still not on the water!, its a long story but need to just try and get the information i need and do it myself, seems like the only way that i can make sure she gets done and at least i'll then know and understand its all done right etc...

Most people here in the U.K. who drag race etc are not interested in Boats, period. trust me i have asked and asked!

anyways here hoping some one will step in here with some usefull info etc..

thanks again for the thoughts, cheers.

FrznJim

Reaction score
The "throw" on my gearshift lever wont move enough to get her past the first gear, there's plenty of room and nothing getting caught up, as i have had it all off and checked that out, new cable too, just when you look at the cable moving down at the Tranny it just plain does not have enought slide back and forth to get all the gears?, do i just re-drill the hole higher on the arm from the Tranny?...anyone who may have a pic of their arm on there TH400 would be a help pls!

Here's some pics of my trans/shifter on the purple boat, it looks the same as yours. We're using a Rex shifter with the detents shown in photos. There really isn't much adjustment for the cable on the trans end other than the threads on the cable. You may need to relocate the cable bracket on the shifter end to get the cable where you need it to shift the gears. My shifter doesn't have enough throw to engage "park", but you don't really need that other than starting the motor when the boat is on the trailer.
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

number76

Reaction score
Hi,

many thanks for taking the time to post up the pics and info!

That set up you have is pretty-much the exact same as i have!, except i have a Rex-Marine lever without the small indents to "clip" into..

I'm still not too sure as to why mine will not Throw enough?, but i guess i am going to have to try and have a mess about, seems weird as Tom who owned this baot before used it exactly the same way, so should in theory work the same, oh well...

Is your boat a V-Drive too?, if so have you got these "caps" fitted that i really need!?

Thanks again bud.:cool:

alohajeff

Reaction score
What sort of condition is the shift cable in?

I've got TH400 and a Rex shifter and it required a new cable. I couldn't get all gears to work with my old worn out cable. Even with a new cable some fine adjustments were necessary to get everything working right. PARK doesn't always fully engage for others but when I shift it into P I have no problems. I ended up adjusting the shifter so that 2nd and 3rd were spot on.

Aloha

number76

Reaction score
Thanks for the post up...

I have just replaced the shift cable!, is smooth and tight too...

one thing i would like to ask, is how the gears/shift relays to the pattern, so i mean like if the lever is right back towards the rear of the boat, is that Park, then whats next?, N R 1 2 3?...how does the pattern go please?

also how many clicks on the shifter arm have you guys got?, just so i know what i have in my box!

Thanks again for help so far :)

FrznJim

Reaction score
Hi,

many thanks for taking the time to post up the pics and info!

That set up you have is pretty-much the exact same as i have!, except i have a Rex-Marine lever without the small indents to "clip" into..

I'm still not too sure as to why mine will not Throw enough?, but i guess i am going to have to try and have a mess about, seems weird as Tom who owned this baot before used it exactly the same way, so should in theory work the same, oh well...

Is your boat a V-Drive too?, if so have you got these "caps" fitted that i really need!?

Thanks again bud.:cool:

Yes, the purple boat is a v-drive. Here's a couple pics of the driveline. Like Shane said, we use the press in style yoke. Could you get this style yoke then modify your driveline at a driveline shop over there?
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

number76

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, thats a beautiful boat there!

What year is that one please?, awsome fittings and fixtures too i have to say!

I have taken my coupler to so many places here to ask for some help but they just seem to look at you weird and say "sorry mate no idea"....and when you try to tell them what its all for, well....

I was just hoping that maybe someone somewhere may have a spare set?, i might post up in the wanted section, maybe best.

Its not the end of the world i guess if i really have to order another newer style one like you guys have, but just for the sake of two missing caps it would save me a load of shipping and import tax!, ....again :)

Also, if anyone reading this does run the 1050's Dominators and has a clue how to do a basic set-up then pls do let us know!, just itching to hear her sit there on idle......:D

Thanks for the help/info/pics.:thumbsup

number76

Reaction score
I can not thank you enough for that post up!!!

Thats awsome news!, i have sent them an email and will be getting the dimensions from my part tomorrow and will know just what to order!

Thats hopefully one item i can cross of my to do list!

Many thanks again for that, i really appreciate your time to help, like i do for everyone who has also taken time out just to post up to try and help me out here in cold, rainy England!

I'll sleep well tonight! :D

Mondorally

Reaction score
No worries mate. I hope they can help get you sorted.