WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

need fabrication advice

h2o225

Reaction score
Have a 69 chevy 1 ton how hard would it be to place a 5.9 cummins int it. Have complete 93 dogde that can be used.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Do it you will love it.. It will fit in the bay with out to many issues..

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Harbor Freight Tools, or Real Tools? :D

It can be done, but it will require a lot of welding, probably cutting and re-enforcing of the chassis in the motor/trans areas. Also would be best to do it with the body off the truck (if you wanna really do it nice)....

It would be a project that's for sure. But if you have fabrication skills and good equipment it's just time.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
PM the 'Bandit' around here. He (in between boat racin') had a very sucessful engine swap/ custom fab shop in So Cal. Infact he has done 'big diesels' into standard pick ups long before it became 'the newest thing'. I remember him coming to my shop back in 1986 with a 'big truck diesel and trans' stuffed into his dually. It looked like it came out of the box with that motor in it. Great guy, no drama, no BS.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
a full front suspention upgrade as well. Its not a light motor.

HotRod82

Reaction score
First thing to check is the height of the motor in relation to how much vertical space you have under the hood. The last Cummins swap I helped on was in a 85 suburban. Came out awesome but we did have to install a 1.5" body lift to get the hood to close. It was either that or a hood scoop....

harlanorrin

Reaction score
I understand the crossmembers-ssuspention is interchangeable from later models, disc brakes-power steering.
HARLAN ORRIN

h2o225

Reaction score
the front suspension from the dodge is almost a bolt on? Figure trans hump would need to be done. Will see if Bandit is around. This might be something to pay to have done. Can do motors in and out but never tried to tackle something this different. I think it will be great ride if done properly.

Big Kahunaa

Reaction score
the front suspension from the dodge is almost a bolt on? Figure trans hump would need to be done. Will see if Bandit is around. This might be something to pay to have done. Can do motors in and out but never tried to tackle something this different. I think it will be great ride if done properly.

no later model chevys 73-87

h2o225

Reaction score
ok the other truck I have is a 78 4x4 chevy. Don't want to put the diesel in it because of california smog laws. The motor in it is a 383 stroker.

J.T.

Reaction score
I would remove the Body from the Dodge, and Transplant the Body from the 69 Chevy on the Dodge Frame and Motor. will require less fabrication and will have the proper frame and suspension to support that motor

FYI if you keep the title as a 93 Dodge Deisel you would not have to deal with the Smog laws on the 78 or 69 (not that you would with the 69 either

I have a similar idea for a project I have a 97 F-250 that when I do eventually retire it from pulling the toyhauler I would like to Shorten the Frame and land a 90's era Bronco body on it. will be a bitching 4wd SWB Diesel boat pulling monster.

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
Take a look on cumminsforums and competitiondiesel.com Plenty of people have done what you are talking about. I recomment competition diesel, more knowledge on there than you could ever imagine.

h2o225

Reaction score
Didnt think about swapping bodies which would it be registered as? I will check out the other 2 forums..

J.T.

Reaction score
Didnt think about swapping bodies which would it be registered as? I will check out the other 2 forums..

you would keep it registered as a 93 Diesel, the Smog Laws for California with Diesel Pick-em-up trucks only apply to 98 and NEWER vehicles, 97 and older are exempt from the law.

h2o225

Reaction score
Well for now the Dodge will stay with the Cummins the Chevy will get the 383 stroker. My son wants the Dodge he gets his license in January.
Thanks for all of the input.