WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a basic paint job anyone know a good shop.

e911

Reaction score
I just picked up a winter project boat and I don't think it will sand out. The white gel is coming through the teal. I want to go full red maybe a white stripe some thing like a donzi classic 22...nothing crazy. It will same me a lot of hassle if i prep it and have someone spray it. Budget minded paint job. Thanks

donzi22.jpg

e911

Reaction score
this is the boat to be painted
image.jpg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What about taking the boat to Adrenaline Detail in Havasu? They could likely do wonders with that gel & keep the boat looking like its era..& ask them about a restoration on the trailer as well...Btw, I like the closed deck 21ss. There weren't many of those in 1990.

I'm with Pokey:thumbsup

I can say with absolute certainty the white isn't coming through the teal as the whit was the first color and the teal was the last. It's possible the clear is oxidized and its also possible the clear and teal have been rubbed away revealing a teal/white mix backup coat.
Would probably be much cheaper to restore what you have vs a complete recolor.

Backlash

Reaction score
There were only a handful of those built as everyone "Had" to have a bow rider. You would be amazed at what that boat could look like with a new gel scheme. I know you're wanting to follow a budget on this one and that's cool. If it was mine, I would buff out what you can and not spray automotive paint over the gel. Save up for a few years and enjoy the boat. Fix incidental problems along the way and when you have some money squirreled away, have the gel redone. The boat will look 15 years newer for only a few thousand bux. Just my .02.

NeedlesRat

Reaction score
Shane at Exclusive Image in Santa Clarita will do an amazing job. He is a fellow boater and has done amazing work on my vehicles and others. Its worth the drive to have it done perfect.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
if it was me I'd gel it a solid color and wet sand and biff it myself..

e911

Reaction score
I like your idea Dave. I prefer the gel or paint to look clean with out being to busy. I love the way red boats look. If i went the paint method i would use a paint like Interlux Perfection which is very hard. Gloss should last 7-10 years if stored right. Two years i restored a little 16' glaspar and used that paint and i could not believe how well it came out. I am not a big fan of the colors but first choice would be to restore the original gel if possible.

Thanks for the tip on Adrenaline Detail. I will see what they have to say.

What would be the process in getting the teal to even out as it is the only color that looks horrible ? I hit it it quickly with 1000 wet dry on a test area and that is when it looked like the white was coming through. Do I keep sanding?

Also I have 2k for the paint or gel, Could I get a new single color gel for that? I did not think it was possible.

thanks for the advise guys

e911

Reaction score
I like your idea Dave. I prefer the gel or paint to look clean with out being to busy. I love the way red boats look. If i went the paint method i would use a paint like Interlux Perfection which is very hard. Gloss should last 7-10 years if stored right. Two years i restored a little 16' glaspar and used that paint and i could not believe how well it came out. I am not a big fan of the colors but first choice would be to restore the original gel if possible.

Thanks for the tip on Adrenaline Detail. I will see what they have to say.

What would be the process in getting the teal to even out as it is the only color that looks horrible ? I hit it it quickly with 1000 wet dry on a test area and that is when it looked like the white was coming through. Do I keep sanding?

Also I have 2k for the paint or gel, Could I get a new single color gel for that? I did not think it was possible.

thanks for the advise guys

Hi Mouzer , who are you using in Menefee?

Wadernation

Reaction score
this is the boat to be painted
View attachment 514007

this was the boat that was posted last week for like 2500.00 ya? i remember the facebook post had so many responses that it came down shortly after. Either the guy sold it asap or he back tracked so he could ask more for it.

guest hs

Reaction score
2k is not going to get you a single color gel job and if you get a paint job on it for that it probably wont be very good. Restore the color you have and fix other things on the boat first then you will have time to save up and do it right.

slowride

Reaction score
I'm with Pokey:thumbsup

I can say with absolute certainty the white isn't coming through the teal as the whit was the first color and the teal was the last. It's possible the clear is oxidized and its also possible the clear and teal have been rubbed away revealing a teal/white mix backup coat.
Would probably be much cheaper to restore what you have vs a complete recolor.

So how did they put white in the molds FIRST, putting the teal down AFTERWARDS and have the teal show?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
So how did they put white in the molds FIRST, putting the teal down AFTERWARDS and have the teal show?

I believe he is speaking from a mold standpoint.

Shit is backwards.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
By breaking away the two areas with tape.
All those bands of color between the white and teal went on one by one in consecutive order from white to teal.

Englewood

Reaction score
I'd highly Recommend KMG Boats...He repainted an Ultra for me that came out amazing!
IMG_4100.jpg

RCDave

Reaction score
I also highly recommend Kevin at KMG. He and crew do AMAZING work.

slowride

Reaction score
I believe he is speaking from a mold standpoint.

Shit is backwards.
Exactly, so you tape and shoot the teal (in the mold), pull the other colors, shoot them then lay down the base color. Only way I can think there WOULDN'T be white at the bottom would be taping off the other colors and ONLY laying down white where it will show.
A visual would help, because every boat I've had has had the base color UNDER the color.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Only way I can think there WOULDN'T be white at the bottom would be taping off the other colors and ONLY laying down white where it will show.
Now you're thinking like a Gelcoater.;)

image.jpg image.jpg

e911

Reaction score
OK so they wouldn't ever just shoot white after the other colors with out taping them off? Seems like it would be easier to spray everything white after the colors were layed down instead of taping them off. Is it just because it is a waste of material or another reason?..Interested. Thanks Gelcoater for giving us a inside.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
OK so they wouldn't ever just shoot white after the other colors with out taping them off? Seems like it would be easier to spray everything white after the colors were layed down instead of taping them off. Is it just because it is a waste of material or another reason?..Interested. Thanks Gelcoater for giving us a inside.

On your boat there may be a white or white teal mix to back the teal.

But to answer your question the lines/graphics have to be taped out one way or another. It's up to the person doing it as to which color goes on first or last.
I tend to as a general rule work my way spraying from the keel up and out of the mold.
I could do the graphic first I guess, masking off the entire running surface and such but I feel I run a greater risk of dragging a hose or elbo or beer gut through it while I reach in to spray the middle.

I will say there are times where I mask off the entire deck and spray pinstripes first, then fill it in like a coloring book.

e911

Reaction score
gotcha...i now grasp the concept.