WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My God. Another motorcycle death on the freway

n2riverlife

Reaction score
Geeze. almost everyday, I hear another person on a motocycle down on the freeway. Come on people watch out for them. I ride my harley everyday back and forth to work cause of the gas prices. Fellow riders. Watch out!! keep your eyes on the driver and watch what they are doing.
give your self plenty of time to react to the jack ass drinking there coffee or putting on there make up. Remember, If you can see there eyes in the mirror. they don't know your there. LOAD PIPES SAVES LIFES..

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Going to keep increasing as more people ride to offset fuel prices, imo:rolleyes:

boatnam2

Reaction score
Our kid works on the freeway(constuction) and has seen plenty of stuff in he short time doing it.Just last week bike going 90 plus in the fast lane swicthed to the slow lane quickly to get off and clipped a truck and went down hard but was getting up and was struck by semi head roller 200 yrds from area were he was hit.They said they cleaned it up with scrappers.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
If you ever ride the AMTRAK or Metrolink from Burbank Airport to Simi Valley, just past Burbank Airport look outta the portside window and you'll see 2 Crotch rocket graveyards.
Piles of wrecked rice burners. I'd wager most have low miles.

Wife loves punching the canyons on her 1000.
Her Ninja gives her orgazisms.

With gas prices, 2 wheelers are attractive.
Our local Vespa dealer couldn't give them away,, now he can't keep them in stock.
And they ain't cheap.

Cigalert

Banned
Reaction score
Going to keep increasing as more people ride to offset fuel prices, imo:rolleyes:

Exactly what I was thinking. More bikes on the already congested socal roads tossed in with some mixed greens of aggravated SUV drivers is a cocktail of death.

Just yesterday a brand new non-plated Ducatti tried squeezing between me (#2 lane) and a swerving blue hair (#1 lane). All decked out with his brand new gear, shiny polished helmet. I knew what the blue hair was up to which is why I was passing in the #2 lane and I saw the biker closing hard but I didn't think he was that stupid. Yep, he got a love bump but didn't loose it. I'm sure he changed his driving habits right after he changed his shorts.

Bikers be careful out there. It's only gonna get worse.

DirtyWhiteBoy

WILL WORK FOR FUEL
Reaction score
I'm a rider also, so don't take this wrong, but I see a LOT of idiots that think they are Nicky Hayden....and on the track. I am suprised that there are not more around here.

Cars do not even notice bikes while texting and takling.

SodarSki73

Reaction score
Geeze. almost everyday, I hear another person on a motocycle down on the freeway. Come on people watch out for them. I ride my harley everyday back and forth to work cause of the gas prices. Fellow riders. Watch out!! keep your eyes on the driver and watch what they are doing.
give your self plenty of time to react to the jack ass drinking there coffee or putting on there make up. Remember, If you can see there eyes in the mirror. they don't know your there. LOAD PIPES SAVES LIFES..

I got to admit, there are alot of people out there who are not paying attention and are seriously dangers on the road. With that said, splitting lanes on a bike at 20-25 mph above the flow of traffic on the freeway is not the safest thing in the world. I would consider myself an extremely cognisant driver and there are still times that I check over my shoulder to make sure there no one in my blind spot and within a split second a bike is there.

Last edited:

C-2

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was cruising on the 91 about 8’ish at night. Traffic kept slowing, almost like a traffic break.

Then I see this thing pop up over the hood of the car in front of me. Scared the shiznit out of me.

It was a group of crocth rockets playing games on the freeway. There was about a dozen of them and several blocked traffic lanes while others took turns popping wheelies at about 55mph. They all had those gay-azz Mohawk thingies.

These fawkers literally wouldn’t let anybody by. I was no more than 2 feet off one guys tire, trying to get by. He wouldn’t budge. Then I remembered Mel Gibson in Mad Max, and I backed off.:eek:

Eventually they all took off like bats out of hell.

n2riverlife

Reaction score
I agree with the crotch rockets splitting the lanes doing 45 to 50 or changing lanes and 95+ way too fast. When I'm drivng my truck on the freeway and all of a sudden there is a rocket flying by. Very dangers. Got to admit, I do split the lines when the traffic is messed up, But I do it with respect. Always watching who's going to change lanes on me or open there doors. Always like the drivers that don't like me doing it and close there lane.

djhartley2003

Reaction score
It suck hearing about a bike that has gone down but some of these guys have no business on the road. They don't use there heads at all. I cant tell you how many times I have had bikes split lanes on both sides of me at the same time on the 55. When they start doing that and then get mad at the people driving cars and trucks, they are asking for trouble.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Even if had a street bike dont think would attempt to ride it on the congested LA freeways. My life worth more than the few dollars saving on gas.

2Driver

Reaction score

Yep, dealers around here are out of anything that is a reasonable commuter bike including dual-sports and scooters.

Passed a middle aged business woman riding a Vespa on a busy 4-lane parkway the other day. You could tell she was uncomforatble. Crazy how people think they are saving on transportation costs. . :hmm

PVHCA

Reaction score
Let's not forget that splitting traffic at certain speeds is illegal, not sure what speed you are legally able to do it but I know most riders are going much faster than the legal limit. I am very courteous to riders but I gotta say they have made me at times want to start not being very courteous. I don't owe a single rider the space while they are splitting so IMO be courteous to me and respectful when I do allow you to split. I also realize that drivers are not aware of riders(being that they are hard to see), so fellow drivers keep a BIG EYE out for them, these crashes are not pretty.

69 1/2

Reaction score
Even if had a street bike dont think would attempt to ride it on the congested LA freeways. My life worth more than the few dollars saving on gas.

That was the smartest statement on this thread to date.

slowride

Reaction score
I gave up riding street bikes years ago.... didn't like feeling like a target. While drivers obviously need to be more aware of bikes, riders need to learn how to whiteline properly. The worst for me is on the 55. You have bikes splitting the carpool and #1 lanes, then some idiot splits the #1 & 2 lanes. I don't move over anymore..... it's safer for everyone that cars don't weave back and forth for bikes.
I don't know if it has changed, but years ago the law was that "whitelining" (as we used to call it) was permitted because it was legal to have more than 1 vehicle in a lane. The catch is/was that the bike could not go more than 10 mph over prevailing speed and since they were technically changing lanes (when crossing over the line), they were required to signal 100 feet before. I wouldn't hold my breath for that....

CALJAMR

Sin City Jamr
Reaction score
I heard a moped/vespa just got taken out by a work truck this morning in Vegas.

I think it's also do in part to inexperienced riders getting on the 'save gas' ban wagon and getting these bikes and not have enough seat time. Also the same goes for having over powered street bike or underpowered moped on the streets with little or no seat time. IMO.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Thanks. Am sure there are plenty of experienced riders that never have problems but only takes once.

That was the smartest statement on this thread to date.

I have always heard the same thing. Hard for the police to enforce the over 40 limit when they do it themselves. Am passed up every morning on my commute by a CHP splitting lanes at over 75.

I believe the CA law states that a motorcycle may split the #1 and #2 lanes at speeds up to 15 mph faster than traffic and up to a maximum speed of 40 MPH. If traffic is doing 40 MPH, they are not supposed to split lanes.

A little piece of trivia is that lane splitting was allowed because motorcycles were/are air cooled and needed air movement to stay cool. The law has nothing to do with rewarding riders because they ride a small gas efficient vehicle.

Captain Dan

Reaction score
It suck hearing about a bike that has gone down but some of these guys have no business on the road. They don't use there heads at all. I cant tell you how many times I have had bikes split lanes on both sides of me at the same time on the 55. When they start doing that and then get mad at the people driving cars and trucks, they are asking for trouble.

There are as many idiots on motorcycles as there are irresponsible lake lice as there are boat captains that can't handle their boats. There's a percentage of society that shouldn't breed too. I wonder if there is a correlation? :hmm

Brad @ SCJB

SoCalJetBoats.com
Reaction score
i almost whipped out a guy on jamboree in irvine this morning.....it would have been his fault.

BOBALOO

Reaction score
I haven't been allowed to have a street bike since I got married:D

I have had a few SUPER close calls and seen some nasty motorcycle accidents. We used to do Angeles Crest every Sat back in the early 90's and there are a ton of wrecks on that road. I even had a guy lose it in a corner right in front of me at about 50 and when he hit the dirt berm he flew like Superman off the road. I found him waaaaay down the hill with multiple broken bones and he got airlifted out.

I wish I could get a plate for my CRF450X though. It would be great for trips to 7-11!:beer

n2riverlife

Reaction score
one of the biggest problems is that there are people that have never rode a bike before and try to save the money on the gas. Don't blame them, but they have no clue how to ride a bike and don't have the rode savey. I've seen my share of idots go down. Some deserve it.

Baja Big Dog

Banned
Reaction score
one of the biggest problems is that there are people that have never rode a bike before and try to save the money on the gas. Don't blame them, but they have no clue how to ride a bike and don't have the rode savey. I've seen my share of idots go down. Some deserve it.

???

Joker

Reaction score

Remember when u were getting towed with a rope on your hangers and you wiped out doing 1 mph. That was funny. Glad u r ok.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
I split lanes but not at a high speed...usually :)

I take it pretty easy in conjested traffic but when it is wide open I let it go a bit.

Anybody on a bike needs to be prepared for the inevitable.......you will be going down at some point. Hopefully you don't panic and bring the survival odds into your favor as much as possible. Just a matter of time....It comes down to space and distance IMO. I always try to make space and drive defensively. My bike is loud so I will give them some throttle if I don't think they see me. Regardless if your number is up it is UP! If you can't accept that as part of biking stay the fuck off of it.

Wish me luck as I will be riding to work tomorrow :)

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

I totally agree. Many don't even know you're supposed to get a license. As for the crotch rockets on wheelies, I had a group doing that to me on Domenigoni Parkway one time. They slowed down to about 50 and started pulling wheelies in front of me (no one else on the road but them and me). Made me nervous as hell, especially since some of them had girls on the back. So I hurried up and passed them. Those f-ers flew by me and got in front of me and did it again! WTH? :swear I put on the gas, passed them and kept it at 90 so they wouldn't try it again.

There are many times, as someone said earlier, that I don't see one splitting lanes until it's next to me. Very dangerous and it always startles me a little. What if I had picked that moment to veer a little closer to the line? However, I ALWAYS know when a Harley is coming up next to me before it gets there. Especially one with aftermarket pipes. It's true. Loud pipes do save lives.

larryflynt

Reaction score
had kids and no $. bought street bike after 7 years of thinking i would be better off staying in the dirt. lady blew out big fat doe right in front of our house within days of picking up new bike. didn't give me warm fuzzies. riding dirt bike and trashed left knee out last year hitting rock hidden in grass @ around 10-15mph. a least in wasn't a semi. i try to watch horizon and drivers body language. some times you just don't have time to react.
peace,
bk

boat in spam

Attachments

• rig in knoxville.JPG
    rig in knoxville.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00598.JPG
    DSC00598.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

duner21

Reaction score
You guys in cal or nuts for splitting lanes. Not allowed in Az.

n2riverlife

Reaction score
John, glad you remembered that. I was wishing I could for get. still pisses me off. R we going to the O.C. Fair.?

cxr

Reaction score

IM not quite sure its the motorcyclist fault if they get hit:thumbsdown

i travel the 405 everyday and you should see how people jump in/out of the carpool lane over the double yellows all the time!!!!

i work in a hospital and not very many motorcycle accident pts make it.

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
I thought of this thread this morning as I was driving down Beach Blvd, fair amount of traffic, but it was moving I'd say 45 mph. Then this asshat on a motorcycle starts splitting lanes, doing around 60 mph and forcing people to accomodate him. I think that is bullshit. :thumbsdown