WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My dad just bought an '05 6.6 turbo diesel 4x4 3500 crewcab dually

tbone1904

Reaction score
What programmer does he get? Does he need intake, exhaust? Any other recommendations? And the most controversially what will his non towing in town mileage be? He hasn't gone through a tank yet, but we are curious. We really don't care, because DA*N they have a ton of power.:D

BajaMike

Reaction score
What programmer does he get? Does he need intake, exhaust? Any other recommendations? And the most controversially what will his non towing in town mileage be? He hasn't gone through a tank yet, but we are curious. We really don't care, because DA*N they have a ton of power.:D

Don't put a chip in it....it will void the warranty....and they just f up the engine (I know some guys who have put chips in and blew a new engine at 9,000 miles). Leave it alone....it's a great powertrain just like it is.

As you said...they have a ton of power.......and it will go 200k to 400k miles......leave it alone!

:hmm

Ivan Dan

Reaction score
I would venture to say since its a 2005 that the warrranty is gone or very near being gone.

I had the Edge Juice with Attitude on my Duramax and it made a HUGE difference on the truck. I ran it on level 2 which was a minimal gain but really helped with MPG and towing.

With the tuner turned off the truck was like a UPS delivery truck....BORING!

tbone1904

Reaction score
No its good to 100,000 and is only at 47,000. It was a GM certified truck so there is allot of warranty on it plus he still has a couple of weeks if he wants to buy more.

TrojanDan

Reaction score
I have an '05 3500 4x4 SRW 6.6 diesel. I don't have a programmer and I don't know if I will unless I come across a smok'n deal on an Edge. I do hear many horror stories about blown tranny's etc.. if you run your programmer setting too high. I did remove my cat and put in a turbo back exhaust/muffler system by Silverline, volant air intake (with cold air intake). I recommend the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks to control the bounce. I only have about 16.5k miles and I get about 14.5 mpg city and I've gotten 19 miles highway driving home from Havasu driving 65.

Another must is to get rid of those sorry ass '05 mirrors. They aren't worth a damn. Upgrade to the '06 mirrors and sell your '05 mirrors on e-bay separate (not as a pair).

Another thing to watch carefully is your fuel filter life. I ran my fuel filter down to about 10% and ended up getting stranded on the side of the road and got towed home. This appears to be an issue with GM's '05 diesels. I carry a spare now incase I get bad fuel somewhere I can change out the filter (it will clog that fast).

Last edited:

tbone1904

Reaction score
I have an '05 3500 4x4 SRW 6.6 diesel. I don't have a programmer and I don't know if I will unless I come across a smok'n deal on an Edge. I do hear many horror stories about blown tranny's etc.. if you run your programmer setting too high. I did remove my cat and put in a turbo back exhaust/muffler system by Silverline, volant air intake (with cold air intake). I recommend the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks to control the bounce. I only have about 16.5k miles and I get about 14.5 mpg city and I've gotten 19 miles highway driving home from Havasu driving 65.

Another must is to get rid of those sorry ass '05 mirrors. They aren't worth a damn. Upgrade to the '06 mirrors and sell your '05 mirrors on e-bay separate (not as a pair).

Another thing to watch carefully is your fuel filter life. I ran my fuel filter down to about 10% and ended up getting stranded on the side of the road and got towed home. This appears to be an issue with GM's '05 diesels. I carry a spare now incase I get bad fuel somewhere I can change out the filter (it will clog that fast).

Thanks for the info. A guy at work sold is 05 dodge and still has the triple dog downloader from Bully Dog. I t doesn't work on 08's but works till 07 on gm, dodge, and ford. He is letting us borrow it this weekend to see if we like it and only wants $250 for it. If we try it will that void the warranty, or is only if they review the computer if a major component broke? It sounds like I need to read the insurance agreement again.

jordy

Banned
Reaction score
Don't put a chip in it....it will void the warranty....and they just f up the engine (I know some guys who have put chips in and blew a new engine at 9,000 miles). Leave it alone....it's a great powertrain just like it is.

Not exactly true. If something goes wrong with the engine, the dealer/mfg. has to PROVE that it was the modifications, ie, the programmer, that caused the failure. There's a little deal called the Moss-Magnuson act that prevents them just denying warranty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

I bought my truck when it was about 8 months old and had 12K on the clock. Got it home, put Gibson Exhaust on it, a K&N FIPK kit, and a Hypertech programmer (garbage), followed shortly there after by an Edge setup with the Juice box and Attitude monitor. It's been on there going on about 5 years now and I've never had any problems with it. Have taken it to the track and turned mid-14 second 1/4's, pulled 14,000lb generators up to Flagstaff and back and never missed a beat.

Had the typical injector problems, so I pulled off the programmer and took it in, no questions asked, injectors replaced under warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a box on the truck, in fact, I had one on my company duramax and then something quit in the box (it was the original one from my truck) and I had to pull it off, so now it's pretty boring to drive again. :(

kgt

Reaction score
You really have to watch when you install a programmer, g.m. can now see what software the truck has ran even though you remove the programmer before you took it in for warranty work IF a engine problem arose. they then compare the cal to what cal should be and if those number don't match the issue of who is paying starts.....use caution. as far as exhaust and intake that is something that normally won't cause a issue, unless the air filter is over oiled and ruins a maf sensor or something like that...as far as mpg my 07 lbz gets 16 in town and about 19ish on the highway...

River Runner

Reaction score
Take it to PPE in fullerton, They do some bad ass stuff! My friend has a brand new Chevy Crew Cab and his Diesel has 600 hp now that thing snaps your neck like you would believe and gets better gas mileage then my 1500. That Bastard! But it is a ton of fun.

AZJD

Lynch's River Mob
Reaction score
Take it to PPE in fullerton, They do some bad ass stuff! My friend has a brand new Chevy Crew Cab and his Diesel has 600 hp now that thing snaps your neck like you would believe and gets better gas mileage then my 1500. That Bastard! But it is a ton of fun.

I would say PPE is the best, but Edge and a few others make a pretty good programmer and monitoring system.

Exhausts are pretty good but the intakes are really not worth it.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Intake is good for 20+ HP on that truck. Granted it's not near what a programmer can do but it does help. As for oil coming off the filter, that is about as possible as cleaning pepperoni pizza grease off your shirt by using compressed air. We test MAF sensors when dealerships blame the filters. More than 50% of those sent work just fine. Of the 50% that failed, a few were complete electronics failure (wiring and/or circuitry issue) but most were contaminated by silicone dripping down the wires from the potting material coating the circuit boards. Never found a drop of oil on anything. No dealership has the equipment we do to test the sensors. How do we know it's silicone? We send them out for chemical & spectro analysis CSI style. :beer

atomickitn

Time for a Change
Reaction score
I have an edge programer....... I hate that F ,,ing thing...... to many damm tickets...:D:beer

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
Edge programmer, and yes, do intake and exhaust, but most importantly:

GAUGES

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

The work truck's Edge was replaced with the PPE unit. So far all seems much better, less smoke, better milage? we are not scientists but it seems to have gone from 18.5 to 24.8 without proper documentation.

http://www.pacificp.com/

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score

That is what I am told, no documentation makes it difficult to believe. When it goes back on 100% bio, I will try to get some real numbers.

The truck is '05 duramax

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
The work truck's Edge was replaced with the PPE unit. So far all seems much better, less smoke, better milage? we are not scientists but it seems to have gone from 18.5 to 24.8 without proper documentation.

http://www.pacificp.com/
Truck computer display + programmer = wacky mileage. Do it by hand. :thumbsup

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
splitfire.jpg

:p