More on California’s man made drought

2Driver

Reaction score
Tell them we are draining the lake

“for the Salmon”

7B2202A4-8CEB-45C7-B5BB-D9410685B6D9.jpeg

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Yep!! And fallowing a million plus acres of California's most productive farm ground in the country during a food shortage. DUMB!!!!!
I am curious how much of that acreage is almonds used for shit like almond milk etc... Trying to grow crops like that in an area that cannot support them is just as dumb as letting water out for fish. Not building infrastructure to keep up with the population growth is the worst of all.

jet496

Reaction score
And, we here in Southern Cal used to get a large quantity of water from the Sacramento River but now it all dumps straight into the ocean because some Smelt fish occasionally get sucked into the pumps. They don't talk about this water supply being cut from us 10 years ago.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I am curious how much of that acreage is almonds used for shit like almond milk etc... Trying to grow crops like that in an area that cannot support them is just as dumb as letting water out for fish. Not building infrastructure to keep up with the population growth is the worst of all.
Almond farming uses metric shit tons of water

1manshow

Reaction score
And, we here in Southern Cal used to get a large quantity of water from the Sacramento River but now it all dumps straight into the ocean because some Smelt fish occasionally get sucked into the pumps. They don't talk about this water supply being cut from us 10 years ago.
100% correct…

hallett21

Reaction score
Looking at Folsoms location I don’t think you could build a reservoir below it. You’d either have to pipe the water somewhere else or build something above it.

I wonder if you could drill and pump wanted from the lake back into the ground?

1manshow

Reaction score
California produces 80% of the world's almond supply — of which 70% is exported.

Fuk the rest of the world, let them grow their own nuts
You don’t get the real problem do you? Why don’t you start with throwing away or using anything that is not made in the USA and let’s see how that works out for you…. If the the farmers couldn’t grow Almonds they’d be growing something else and you’d probably bitch about that crop cuz it uses water.. Every crop uses water some more some less. Seems to me you must think the general public should be able to tell us what we can plant on OUR land ???

dribble

Reaction score
Looking at Folsoms location I don’t think you could build a reservoir below it. You’d either have to pipe the water somewhere else or build something above it.

There was a plan to build something above it in the 70's. It was the Auburn Dam. it would have held as much water as Oroville. If you hike the American river upstream from the North Fork inlet, you will see the diversion tunnels that were built. The Auburn Forest Hill Bridge (650' over the North Fork) was built just for the project. And then the environmentalists stopped the project dead in it's tracks over seismic safety. There is a small dam below Folsom (Nimbus) but after that it's all flat land. One a positive note the OHV area on the Middle Fork (Mammoth Bar) would have been 500' under water.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
You don’t get the real problem do you? Why don’t you start with throwing away or using anything that is not made in the USA and let’s see how that works out for you…. If the the farmers couldn’t grow Almonds they’d be growing something else and you’d probably bitch about that crop cuz it uses water.. Every crop uses water some more some less. Seems to me you must think the general public should be able to tell us what we can plant on OUR land ???
Between water subsidies and direct purchase through the AG almonds are a subsidized cash crop. Admittedly the AG purchases have been few as there is rarely excess yield.

It takes something like 12 liters of water to produce 1 almond. Maybe growing a water intensive crop in the middle of the desert doesn't make a ton of sense without the proper infrastructure to support it?

It's a 21bn dollar crop. Over 25% of all farming income generated in California comes from almonds and the industry employs over 100k people.

Water storage, recycling, and desalination should all be priorities for the state to support the industry that contributes so much for our economy. Unfortunately they are not.

If you take a step back and look at our nations food production we do a lot of things that aren't exactly logical but water intensive crops in the southwest probably stand out as the toughest one to justify in the current infrastructure climate. It's not the farmers fault that the states have done nothing to keep up with population and agricultural growth.

I am not a communist and growing what you want on your own land is every Americans right. That said we are one nation with the unique ability to grow food that very few other countries enjoy. It may be our greatest natural, exportable resource.

There is a strong argument to nationalize farming. Telling farmers what to grow based on the regions resources. With existing farm subsidies the argument has a leg to stand on. I would much rather see California build the infrastructure to support the industries that are already here. The clock is ticking and the wonderful company should be leading the charge to effect change.

jet496

Reaction score
I'll bet little ole me could figure out how to create a barrier from them getting sucked in, yet you'd think somebody in the government or whoever built or maintains the pump stations could figure it out. Nope, it's easier to dump all that Sierra snow melt in to the ocean than use it for drought ridden CA.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
The problem is that the same acreage planted with corn, carrots or...... would use a fraction of the water almonds use but you are correct, something else would be planted.

1manshow

Reaction score
The problem is that the same acreage planted with corn, carrots or...... would use a fraction of the water almonds use but you are correct, something else would be planted.
Just a little fun fact about what they do when they have too many carrots up in Bakersfield.. I wont name any company names but they get a disk pulled thru the field and they get disked under….. that’s waste of water on the highest level If you ask me. Also most people that grow corn double crop with a wheat crop before corn so in all reality it uses the same as a Almond 😊 One thing most dont know cuz they didn’t read it on the web but we use all the byproduct of Almonds to feed to cattle… The hulls that wrap around the almond are used to feed 1.8 million milk cows and support stock in California alone and the shell is used for bedding for cattle and some companies are even making Dura logs with the shell. Hopefully this helps people understand the rest of the story when they hear growing almonds are a waste of water… i use to feed 14lb per head per day of Alfalfa to my milk cows which a few on this board have mentioned in prior post that growing alfalfa is a waste of water, at this time iam down to feeding 2lbs of alfalfa which has been replaced by feeding 8lbs -12 lbs of Almond hulls. We can talk about wasting water till we are blue in the face but any of you SoCal peeps can cross any river bottom down there and you all know that water is heading straight to the ocean 🌊. God bless America and the farmers that’s feeding all your asses🇺🇸 😊

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Just a little fun fact about what they do when they have too many carrots up in Bakersfield.. I wont name any company names but they get a disk pulled thru the field and they get disked under….. that’s waste of water on the highest level If you ask me. Also most people that grow corn double crop with a wheat crop before corn so in all reality it uses the same as a Almond 😊 One thing most dont know cuz they didn’t read it on the web but we use all the byproduct of Almonds to feed to cattle… The hulls that wrap around the almond are used to feed 1.8 million milk cows and support stock in California alone and the shell is used for bedding for cattle and some companies are even making Dura logs with the shell. Hopefully this helps people understand the rest of the story when they hear growing almonds are a waste of water… i use to feed 14lb per head per day of Alfalfa to my milk cows which a few on this board have mentioned in prior post that growing alfalfa is a waste of water, at this time iam down to feeding 2lbs of alfalfa which has been replaced by feeding 8lbs -12 lbs of Almond hulls. We can talk about wasting water till we are blue in the face but any of you SoCal peeps can cross any river bottom down there and you all know that water is heading straight to the ocean 🌊. God bless America and the farmers that’s feeding all your asses🇺🇸 😊
So that’s where almond milk comes from…

Sherpa

Reaction score
love it how the band wagon goes after almond growers........ why not bitch about Auburn dam not being built. or bitch about Sites reservior not being built.

how about those fucking golf courses in the desert. shut those watering systems down.

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Jerry Brown and no Columbia River pipeline? What exactly should we bitch about?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
love it how the band wagon goes after almond growers........ why not bitch about Auburn dam not being built. or bitch about Sites reservior not being built.

how about those fucking golf courses in the desert. shut those watering systems down.
Great points. How about we use a bit of common sense and don't try to grow anything in the middle of the desert?😂 Crazy talk....or I guess we could just grow a shit ton of product 365 days a year with unlimited water use (as long as they can pump it) and really crack down on the guy that just wants to water his lawn 3 times a week.✊

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

4 completely legitimate beefs and two helpful solutions.

Sites and Auburn are the only places left that make any sense.

Ultimately we'll get sites. Auburn should be revisited.

To Mike Andersen and the citizen free press - Folsom isn't controlled by California, its an Army Corp of Engineers dam controlled by the feds.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Bingo.

Nimbus is below Folsom but there isnt anywhere left to accommodate a larger reservoir.

The auburn dam would have been above folsom and 2.5X the size in terms of capacity.

Auburn_1733.jpg

Reactions: DWC

1manshow

Reaction score
Great points. How about we use a bit of common sense and don't try to grow anything in the middle of the desert?😂 Crazy talk....or I guess we could just grow a shit ton of product 365 days a year with unlimited water use (as long as they can pump it) and really crack down on the guy that just wants to water his lawn 3 times a week.✊
This is 2 miles west of me as of yesterday… You think we have a water shortage? NOPE we have a management problem… Iam sure you know this by now but common sense is a thing of the past in this state and that’s why this water you see is flowing out to no man’s land just what the environmentalists want… CRAZY talk is let’s dry up the farms so you can water your yard 7 days a week😜😜. Now that’s some common sense 🤣🤣

Attachments

• 636AEC9C-41B7-47F7-B755-2F8A85FB6C85.jpeg
    636AEC9C-41B7-47F7-B755-2F8A85FB6C85.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 009FBBD7-B9F8-4505-A340-6CBC3B1A8A28.jpeg
    009FBBD7-B9F8-4505-A340-6CBC3B1A8A28.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2909.MOV
    4.5 MB
  • IMG_2908.MOV
    3.9 MB
  • IMG_2910.MOV
    3.1 MB

bonesfab

Reaction score
So is that where almond milk comes from??

Lumpy

Reaction score
Lopez Lake overflowing...

Not yet...Im going say if its does it will be tomorrow possibly. I live less than a 1/8 of a mile from AG creek. The idiots in this county can't even ride a bike let alone regulate a dam properly. Lopez was down to roughly 23% last year mainly due to the environmental policies adopted in 1996. The average rainfall for Lopez is actually 14 inches but the county cooked the books this year and upped it to 20 inches hoping to keep the narrative. In my opinion they should have been dumping a significant amount of water when she hit 85% Lopez is an earth dam completed in 1969. One good earthquake at full pool may not go well. I flew a drone over the dam/spillway a couple days ago...I'll try to upload it after I get home from work today.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

also plans on the books for decades to raise dams like Friant and McClure all stopped by environmental groups

redone76

Reaction score
Not yet...Im going say if its does it will be tomorrow possibly. I live less than a 1/8 of a mile from AG creek. The idiots in this county can't even ride a bike let alone regulate a dam properly. Lopez was down to roughly 23% last year mainly due to the environmental policies adopted in 1996. The average rainfall for Lopez is actually 14 inches but the county cooked the books this year and upped it to 20 inches hoping to keep the narrative. In my opinion they should have been dumping a significant amount of water when she hit 85% Lopez is an earth dam completed in 1969. One good earthquake at full pool may not go well. I flew a drone over the dam/spillway a couple days ago...I'll try to upload it after I get home from work today.
Best friend lives on Huasna Rd. I'm sure you've seen his place. Orange '57 Ford flatbed with Chubby Cheeks all over it parked out front. AG creek runs through his backyard...he's a little nervous about Lopez spilling over! I'll be up there this weekend for a party. Hopefully the weather calms down by then

caribbean20

Reaction score
I promise to bone up on my CA water usage for agriculture education if you promise to use the “enter” button on your keyboard now and then.😀

Lumpy

Reaction score
Best friend lives on Huasna Rd. I'm sure you've seen his place. Orange '57 Ford flatbed with Chubby Cheeks all over it parked out front. AG creek runs through his backyard...he's a little nervous about Lopez spilling over! I'll be up there this weekend for a party. Hopefully the weather calms down by then
I think your friend will be OK as long as he isn't in the flood plain. I'd be more concerned down in Oceano and my neighborhood if shit gos sideways. Here is the drone video...its too big for RD's server to allow so I uploaded it onto vimeo...enjoy.

77charger

Reaction score
Think is your is a damn if you damn if you dont.Some tried to keep the water high in case the rain year was cut short suddenly but didnt think it would go like it did.

Now you have full or near full resevoirs with a run off that will blow most over the tops cause you cant let out fast enough.Now what if they dropped them in anticipation of a wet year and it went opposite now everyones gonna be they let the water out to early.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Think is your is a damn if you damn if you dont.Some tried to keep the water high in case the rain year was cut short suddenly but didnt think it would go like it did.

Now you have full or near full resevoirs with a run off that will blow most over the tops cause you cant let out fast enough.Now what if they dropped them in anticipation of a wet year and it went opposite now everyones gonna be they let the water out to early.

Because they did not finish what what planned 40-50 years ago. This would have been a non issue if the pipelines and reservoirs that were supposed to be built were built back then.

The fucking bullet train money could have solved all the states water problems 15 years ago… and there is not even a supply problem.

How can an entire state have a drought emergency and a flood emergency at the same time and be bordered on one side by and endless amount water?

JJ McClure

Reaction score
LOF. How many times are we going to talk about Jerry Brown the the phase two Colorado River Pact? We’re on the same page. But f me. If you don’t finish the pipeline from the Columbia River? What are we talking about? Love u lof

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
LOF. How many times are we going to talk about Jerry Brown the the phase two Colorado River Pact? We’re on the same page. But f me. If you don’t finish the pipeline from the Columbia River? What are we talking about? Love u lof

We are in violent agreement.

They don’t want any of that finished. Those projects will never be finished. What internal problem has CA actually solved in the last 40 years? How can you constantly be out of every resource, every year? 😂

As far as I’m concerned there is not much to talk about aside from stupidity and mismanagement.

So Cal retains almost no water, reclaims almost no water, and gets 50% of it’s supply from the Colorado.

If So Cal simply retained the rainfall that fell there every year instead of letting it run to the ocean via man made rivers, that alone could sustain the LA area for half the year.

If there was seriously a water supply problem, the people in So Cal would be drinking the reclaimed pee water by now.

77charger

Reaction score

They don’t want any of that finished. Those projects will never be finished. What internal problem has CA actually solved in the last 40 years? How can you constantly be out of every resource, every year? 😂

As far as I’m concerned there is not much to talk about aside from stupidity and mismanagement.

So Cal retains almost no water, reclaims almost no water, and gets 50% of it’s supply from the Colorado.

If So Cal simply retained the rainfall that fell there every year instead of letting it run to the ocean via man made rivers, that alone could sustain the LA area for half the year.

If there was seriously a water supply problem, the people in So Cal would be drinking the reclaimed pee water by now.
No doubt they need more reservoirs need to tell the enviros to take a hike and build them. But their leadership sucks and agree next year will be screaming drought again. That’s after this summers fire dangers.

Nacibound

Reaction score
Small world, I know your bearded buddy well. Lives right down the street from me.

I'd be a little nervous where he is as well if we get another pounder and the damn was going over.

redone76

Reaction score
Small world, I know your bearded buddy well. Lives right down the street from me.

I'd be a little nervous where he is as well if we get another pounder and the damn was going over.
Nice! He's a great guy and what he's gotten setup there has me and the wife really looking into moving to the 5 Cities area. We'll be bbqing all day saturday at his house so stop in for a beer if you're around. Cross our fingers and toes the dam holds up! His wifes uncle is the dam operator so they get an inside scoop
9249ba59-2200-4cb2-98b4-a56a4fd6a10f-jpeg.1089956

FYI...I'm the guy that built his '57

JJ McClure

Reaction score

Violent agreement. I like that.

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score

Or, how’s about we discuss all the vineyards that have popped up. In the Central Valley it’s all about clearing out previous growth and planting grape trees. Punching new wells, pulling the water table down so locals are having to re-drill to lower their depth. Yeah we have water now but…

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Read on...

The Resnicks use at least 120 billion gallons a year, two-thirds on nuts, enough to supply San Francisco’s 852,000 residents for a decade.