WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mexican restaurant style rice

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Trying to learn to duplicate the Mexy rice one gets at your basic restaurant anyone got a good recipe ? Tom

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
My mom gets down let me see if my wife knows her recipe [emoji4]

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
1 large tomato
1/4 onion
Garlic salt
2 cups of rice

Put rice in pot use cooking spray in pot or a little vegetable oil. Cook and lightly brown rice.

Cut tomato and onion into quarters. Blend tomato and onion together in a blender with a little bit of water. We use a magic bullet.

Add 4 cups of water to the rice and the tomato and onion and bring to a boil then lower temp to simmer and add garlic salt to flavor. Cook covered until water evaporates and rice is soft.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Use chicken broth instead of water...see above recipe, but use chicken broth. My ex-wife was Mexican and made the best Spanish rice....probably should of kept her.

I miss the Spanish rice, re-fried beans, home made tortillas, enchiladas, tamales....oh, and the GREAT sex.

:D

Tank

Reaction score
I do a LOT of weekend cooking for people. I'm kind've known for good rice. Whether its mexican/spanish, fried asian style or other good recipes I have. I've been cooking mexican rice for a while. I used to make it the way Ultrashadow makes his. But through trial and error I learned some tricks to ease the process.

First, coat a mid level shallow pot with oil and fry/brown rice. I like to throw half a chopped sweet onion in WITH the rice while it's browning. However much rice you use, double the water. Add a tablespoon or so of chicken broth and then (here's the trick) dump in some pace pecante salso. It has everything you need in it ready to go. If you want really thick spanish rice, put a lot in. If you want it light and mexican style, put less in. The chicken broth will add the saltiness so use to taste. If you like it really salty, use a lot. Not so salty use only a tablespoon.

Cover the pot and bring to boil. THen (another trick) tilt the lid to airate the rice, stir the rice at this point and not again to avoid it getting mushy and turn down the heat so the water is at a bit of a bubble but not super boil. As the water goes lower under the rice, reduce heat again to low/med and let the rest of the water boil down.

Now let the rest of the water boil down. To let it get "fluffy" let it cool and then re-heat.

Enjoy!!

If you want good fried rice or a chile/cheese rice that is a pretty big hit, let me know.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
My wife and her family make it as noted above, and with chicken stock.

She also sometimes uses an habanero for part of the cooking, but doesn't leave it in there for too long.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
I make a lazy man's version but it's actually pretty good with the browned vermicelli and using the Rotel tomatoes.

Attachments

• rr_SpanishRice.png
    rr_SpanishRice.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 13145869.jpg
    13145869.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 12936304.jpeg
    12936304.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 130

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I do a LOT of weekend cooking for people. I'm kind've known for good rice. Whether its mexican/spanish, fried asian style or other good recipes I have. I've been cooking mexican rice for a while. I used to make it the way Ultrashadow makes his. But through trial and error I learned some tricks to ease the process.

First, coat a mid level shallow pot with oil and fry/brown rice. I like to throw half a chopped sweet onion in WITH the rice while it's browning. However much rice you use, double the water. Add a tablespoon or so of chicken broth and then (here's the trick) dump in some pace pecante salso. It has everything you need in it ready to go. If you want really thick spanish rice, put a lot in. If you want it light and mexican style, put less in. The chicken broth will add the saltiness so use to taste. If you like it really salty, use a lot. Not so salty use only a tablespoon.

Cover the pot and bring to boil. THen (another trick) tilt the lid to airate the rice, stir the rice at this point and not again to avoid it getting mushy and turn down the heat so the water is at a bit of a bubble but not super boil. As the water goes lower under the rice, reduce heat again to low/med and let the rest of the water boil down.

Now let the rest of the water boil down. To let it get "fluffy" let it cool and then re-heat.

Enjoy!!

If you want good fried rice or a chile/cheese rice that is a pretty big hit, let me know.

I have made it like this. It is easy and taste just like the rice you get in a Mexican restaurant. I also add some dice tomatoes with peppers and onions (Rotel or other brand).

Tank

Reaction score
Well, just happen to get a request for Mexican tonight. Chicken enchiladas rice and beans.

Here's the rice process.

Oil the pot
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729189.886663.jpg

Two cups of rice brown.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729207.886619.jpg

Four cups of water

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729241.552661.jpg

Start to boil.

Add table spoon of brith and the pace. I do it to feel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729290.536285.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729606.786176.jpg
Cover and bring to boil

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729304.337252.jpg

Once boils, mix it and tilt lid to airate and turn heat down to 1/4 heat and it should be at a slow bubble.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729328.502832.jpg

Once you cant see water turn heat down to simmer and leave lid tilted.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729390.886093.jpg

Let cook for another 10-15 then mix again and turn off heat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419729482.052966.jpg

Let it sit and cool, then turn heat back on simmer to get hot again. This will get it "fluffy".

Serve and enjoy!!! ;)

Tank

Reaction score
Tasty!!

It came our great!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419740364.868561.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Use the Jasmine long grain rice, makes it super fluffy. My wife is mexican, but even she had a hard time getting the recipie down pat like her grandma. Its dialed in now

Tank

Reaction score
Fluffy is the key and yea, the Mexican long grain is the ish.

I found that letting it airate whole it boils and then letting it cool after then re-hear makes it super fluffy.

It's the fluffy aspect that people have issues with. If you don't do it right it comes out mushy.

Tank

Reaction score
Another favorite:

Green chile, rice, jack cheese and sour cream topped with sharp cheddar and bake.

Kick ass!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420509275.183478.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420509285.365874.jpg

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
Thanks Tank

Gonna try this tonight :thumbup:

Post up that recipe for the Asian fried rice!

Thanks!

Tank

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945251.078421.jpg

Here's the green chile rice. It's fucking crazy good!!! You'll be the hot. Just made it again tonight at the request

Made chili too ;) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945300.942021.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420945317.576498.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Fried is kinda a pita because you have to cook everything separate but here's how:

Boil 2 cups of rice with some soy sauce in the water to brown rice. After boiled down let cool.

In a large pan - Half stick butter, dump two cartons of sliced mushrooms, (I like brown), half an onion and like 3 table spoons of garlic. Cover all and let it get watery, at 3/4 high heat. Then once the water is boiling (the shrooms will be sweating), uncover and then brown until all the water is gone. Shrooms should be darkened and shrunk.

While that's going on , scramble 3 eggs in a separate pan.

After mushrooms have browned, put like a 2 sec poor of olive oil in the shroom pan raise heat to high and dump rice in. Mix well while frying. Then dump the eggs in, and a whole chopped green onion.

Poor a little more soy on to taste and serve!

It will be a huge hit!!

Tank

Reaction score
Shit looks Tank, what is your chili recipe?

I like my chili more like hot dog chili. Less beans, less chunks, more meaty.

Here's the recipe.

Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
2 tubes pork chorizo
1 pack pre cooked bacon
1 bell pepper (optional)
1 can diced green chili
1 onion
3 cans diced tomatoes (seasoned blackened is good)
2 chopped Jalape?os
At least 1 cup of Chili powder
A few shakes of Garlic salt
2 sticks of butter (one cooked into meet one into sauce)
2 small cans of tomato paste
3 cans of Ranch beans
2 cans of good Beer
2 table spoons of Chicken broth
4 table spoons of minced garlic
A few shakes of cumin (or a packet of Ortega taco mix)
A few shakes of pepper.
1/2 red onion in meat while cooks other half in chili pot

Cook all meet with jalepeni, garlic, onion, butter and cumin, garlic salt, pepper in pan.

Put everything else in pot and start cooking.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Chili looks good Tank, I will give that one a try.

Ryph

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Let me know how it goes.

I usually start with a random base recipe I dig out of where ever and doctor it up based on my mood but yours already has the entire kitchen sink!

Ryph

Tank

Reaction score
I usually start with a random base recipe I dig out of where ever and doctor it up based on my mood but yours already has the entire kitchen sink!

Ryph

Lol. That's the key. Throw it all in.

That chili recipe is exactly what you said. Got the recipe from a friend, then added a little from someone else and adjusted it so it would be more like hot dog chili.

I'm happy with it.

Tank

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421451446.467685.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421451461.066591.jpg

Mexican rice time!!

And carne asada and chicken asada tacos.

And beans.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Looks great Tank! Enough rice and beans for a small army!

Ryph

boatnam2

Reaction score
I like my chili more like hot dog chili. Less beans, less chunks, more meaty.

Here's the recipe.

Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground turkey
2 tubes pork chorizo
1 pack pre cooked bacon
1 bell pepper (optional)
1 can diced green chili
1 onion
3 cans diced tomatoes (seasoned blackened is good)
2 chopped Jalape?os
At least 1 cup of Chili powder
A few shakes of Garlic salt
2 sticks of butter (one cooked into meet one into sauce)
2 small cans of tomato paste
3 cans of Ranch beans
2 cans of good Beer
2 table spoons of Chicken broth
4 table spoons of minced garlic
A few shakes of cumin (or a packet of Ortega taco mix)
A few shakes of pepper.
1/2 red onion in meat while cooks other half in chili pot

Cook all meet with jalepeni, garlic, onion, butter and cumin, garlic salt, pepper in pan.

Put everything else in pot and start cooking.

Thanks Tank.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to make the chili yet but I did do some good dry rubbed BBQ chicken legs and thighs (no sauce). The flats of thighs or legs go on sale for .99/lb so you get a good amount. I had a bunch of left overs so the next day I browned 1/3 tube of chorizo and put 2 thighs and 3 legs in the pan until they warmed up a bit. I added a box of Zatarain's dirty rice and cooked as per instructions +5 minutes to the simmer and it came out awesome.

Ryph

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Just returned to my "Mexican rice" to see its got a life of its own with some really yummy recipes other than rice sooo will work on my personal Pork chile verde to add to this and post it up soon Thanks everyone Tom

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to make the chili yet but I did do some good dry rubbed BBQ chicken legs and thighs (no sauce). The flats of thighs or legs go on sale for .99/lb so you get a good amount. I had a bunch of left overs so the next day I browned 1/3 tube of chorizo and put 2 thighs and 3 legs in the pan until they warmed up a bit. I added a box of Zatarain's dirty rice and cooked as per instructions +5 minutes to the simmer and it came out awesome.

Ryph

Pics or it didn't happen!! :D

Tank

Reaction score

Ryph

Sounds killer!!

Tank

Reaction score
Just returned to my "Mexican rice" to see its got a life of its own with some really yummy recipes other than rice sooo will work on my personal Pork chile verde to add to this and post it up soon Thanks everyone Tom

I'd be down to see that recipe and step by step pics! ;)

Do you actually make your tomatillo from scratch too?

Tank

Reaction score
It's difficult to juggle cocktails, cooking, entertaining and photos! Lol

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I'd be down to see that recipe and step by step pics! ;)

Do you actually make your tomatillo from scratch too?

Will dig up some photos ,I dont use tomatillo but it would likely enhance ,, Forgive me but I'm a "freestyle cook" so I rarely cook from recipe as such , but we take 1 lb pork lean loin (or sirloin chops) dice it in 3/4 inch cubes, brown it in olive oil then saut? it in chicken broth (taking care not to burn but starting to "carmelize") ,minced garlic and what spices one likes (I like a bit of chile powder, arrebola, garlic salt and cumin), sautee for a very long time (typically an hour) till its very "fork" tender then add a small of diced green chilies, a small can of diced jalape?os , add diced yellow onion (a 1/2 cup or so) works for tamale topping, soft Tacos, arroz con Puerco, and Killer burritos (add refries in the burrito wrap)

Tip Works well with boneless skinless chicken breast as well

Tank

Reaction score
I'll rock that ish!

Thanks man!