WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury Oil Filters...Whats in yours?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Run'n a 6.2 DI w/ 0-20 wt. oil.... KEM recommends Napa #1515 (Wix 5151) ...Just found out! lol ... So the question! ...What is better?? :)

And ran across this starting my search! :D Lol

57045 is the wix filter for a 6.2 Sierra/Silverado.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Its a bit older so the newer stuff is rated a bit diff.

AMSOIL claim currently 98.7 @20 Micron

Fram Ultra 99%@20 micron

WIX has never had a 99%@ 20 micron filter I know of - that'd be my new fav if so.

UD

Wix has always been hush hush on the specs.

Fram HP filters are 94% @ 20 microns. Pretty solid numbers for a racing style filter.

H2O

Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't see more of the older "BMW style" remote filter set ups...which feature cast metal filter housings (that are part of the car), a removable top, and huge filter elements.

So easy to change filters on the Bimmers....you work from the top of the engine compartment, and minimal mess when you pull the old filter element out.

Maybe they run this style on older or high $$$ engines? So many advantages to that type of set-up, and you can actually see what kind of filter you are installing (without cutting open after the fact)

Large surface area elements, mean you can go finer without reducing flow.

pic3.jpg
0231-2.jpg

HU938-4X.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Wix has always been hush hush on the specs.

Fram HP filters are 94% @ 20 microns. Pretty solid numbers for a racing style filter.

That's my take as well.

Pretty solid construction and with a big ole filtermag on the outside I can pull even more out of the oil.

Screen in front of the bypass is a nice touch just in case.

UD

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I prefer a canister to a cartridge. Seems like the cartridge elements are not built as well and always rely on a plastic stand pipe to stay together. That Bmw one looks better, but that outer paper looks ready to peel off easy.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That my take as well.

Pretty solid construction and with a big ole filtermag on the outside I can pull even more out of the oil.

Screen in front of the bypass is a nice touch just in case.

UD

I wonder why Wix won't post data? I need to order a pair of Filter Mags. I use to run them all the time, and then just got away from it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't see more of the older "BMW style" remote filter set ups...which feature cast metal filter housings (that are part of the car), a removable top, and huge filter elements.

So easy to change filters on the Bimmers....you work from the top of the engine compartment, and minimal mess when you pull the old filter element out.

Maybe they run this style on older or high $$$ engines? So many advantages to that type of set-up, and you can actually see what kind of filter you are installing (without cutting open after the fact)

Large surface area elements, mean you can go finer without reducing flow.

View attachment 660102 View attachment 660103

View attachment 660104

My Benzes have these type filters.

Although I would say the Mercedes "fleece" type cartridge is a nice element. I don't ever see cartridge elements number equal to spin ons.

If someone has efficiency at X micron per Iso 4548-12 data to refute please put it up.

Mine make a fucking mess hate em and its hard if not impossible getting a magnet to work. I hate the plastic housings as well. Feels like a problem waiting to happen although it hasn't to me yet.

UD

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I wonder why Wix won't post data? I need to order a pair of Filter Mags. I use to run them all the time, and then just got away from it.

Because it doesnt compete well in that area so they obfuscate.

Im going to use neodymium buttons in the domes before I buy more filter mags.

cost 20 bones vs 120 and does an equal or better job and I don't have to cut to see what they caught.

- like this-

UD
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That first black one you cut open looks a lot like the new delco e-core filters. Is the center tube plastic?

yup - el plastico - and a relatively tiny element for a big block chevy.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Using a good reliable "rock catcher" like a Wix, teamed up with a bypass filter would seem to be the ideal situation. These have been around for along time and I've had some very positive experiences with them. They were the original TP filter but they have grown up a bit and are using better filtration media now.
http://www.frantzfilters.com/

A Wix and a Trasco (a tiny frantz) would be about the same and take up way less space, but Im a frantz fan if you have the room.

grandad use the frantz for several things to great effect and longevity on the farm

Im torn on wix because it was my go to for a while, but they just havent upped the numbers.

A wix loaded with filtermags will pull down the iso code 1-3 numbers and end up being pretty decent.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
My Benzes have these type filters.

Although I would say the Mercedes "fleece" type cartridge is a nice element. I don't ever see cartridge elements number equal to spin ons.

Mine make a fucking mess hate em and its hard if not impossible getting a magnet to work. I hate the plastic housings as well. Feels like a problem waiting to happen although it hasn't to me yet.

UD

I hate the cartridge on my 4 Ruiner. Messy, and takes longer to drain and change.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I hate the cartridge on my 4 Ruiner. Messy, and takes longer to drain and change.

I dont get it - the whole setup guarantees a mess and makes you dick around with o rings - and since you are taking the refuse to recycle anyway why ?!??!?

UD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I dont get it - the whole setup guarantees a mess and makes you dick around with o rings - and since you are taking the refuse to recycle anyway why ?!??!?

UD

Saves 2 cents per car and forces some to take it to the dealer because special tools are needed. The Toyota needs a special wrench to remove the canister cap.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Cross reference what you are using now and go with Baldwin.
Buy a quality filter cutter to see what lurks inside a filter once you have removed it.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Saves 2 cents per car and forces some to take it to the dealer because special tools are needed. The Toyota needs a special wrench to remove the canister cap.

Right - should have figured and of course - making it harder for your average joe to do basic stuff pays off at the dealer.

- and saves 2 cents on the can itself.

UD

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
The racing filter is listed on the box to be "97% efficient" but then has no micron rating or asterisk.
Just for reference, Merc claims 10 microns for the racing filter part number 35-881126K01 as noted from mercury's 2016-accessories guide,
35-881126K01 10 micro, synthetic media Fits 2007 and newer MCM Hi‑Performance GM V‑8 engines, except the following SCi engines: 600, 662, & 700 (s/n 0M953905‑0M962240) and all 850, 1075 & 1200 Mercury Branded, Box Point of Sale Packaged.

Teague:
https://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011/oil-filters.html
Engineered to provide maximum protection for Mercury MerCruiser sterndrive and inboard engines.

Mercury Racing High Efficiency Oil Filters are constructed of the highest quality materials and made specifically for marine applications.

Superior Protection:

• Unique three layer synthetic filtration system screens particles smaller than ten microns to keep your oil cleaner, longer
  • High efficiency design removes over 97% of the contaminants versus 78% for conventional paper element filters
  • Provides improved filtering of synthetic oils
  • Filter features a metal shell that is over 50% thicker than conventional filters, with a durable paint finish to resist corrosion in any environment including saltwater

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Just for reference, Merc claims 10 microns for the racing filter part number 35-881126K01 as noted from mercury's 2016-accessories guide,

Teague:
https://teaguecustommarine.com/em0011/oil-filters.html

So 10 microns at 97% - or some other %?

We dont know because both numbers arent in the same line and there is no *

does it list iso 4548-12 anywhere?

The c&P also say micro, not micron probably a typo.

UD

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
The racing filter lists the 97% too as well as the 10 Microns.

Merc literature is known for misprints.:(

Nothing listed that i can find for 4548-12 and if you search Marine 4548-12 there's not "much" listed for it so it seems like that might be a bit more geared for the automotive side of standards vs marine ?.

35-866340K01 is a more of the standard filter that Fits all MCM/MIE GM engines, except V‑6 models that have the oil filter mounted on the engine block. Also fits the 4.5L and 6.2L Mercury engine. Mercury Branded, Box Point of Sale Packaged. OIL FILTER.... It don't list the microns but in looking around in the past i tend to recall seeing it somewhere around the 40m numbers along with equivalent types like sierra marine, etc. etc.

Now Merc has another one that's supposed to be like the racing one for the smaller base engines such as the new 8.2's and under. but doesn't specifically say anything about micron size like the racing one did... 35-858004K High efficiency, High performance synthetic media removes over 97% of oil contaminants versus 78% for conventional paper element filters. Fits all MCM/MIE GM engines, except V‑6 models that have the oil filter mounted on the engine block. Mercury Branded, Box Point of Sale Packaged.
http://forum.chaparralboats.com/ind...ng-every-day-merc-high-efficiency-oil-filter/

I can't confirm but i did read from an credible source from a high end Mercruiser service tech that a company named Bel-Ray makes some of Mercruiser's oils, filters, & greases for their marine side.....Be interesting to open up one of Bel-Ray's filters too.;)
https://issuu.com/belraycompany/docs/belray_marine_brochure_2017_highres

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
yup - el plastico - and a relatively tiny element for a big block chevy.

Displacement and oiling capacity are 2 completely different unrelated things. Element size has a direct relationship with service intervals, nothing more.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
The whole thing about advertised micron rateing is that unless it says x#absolute it really doesn't mean much because a particle might only be 10 microns in diameter but it could be any length.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Displacement and oiling capacity are 2 completely different unrelated things. Element size has a direct relationship with service intervals, nothing more.

Im speaking to the interval.
Merc claims its good for 100 hours or a season.
Thats a small filter for that interval.

UD

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So VW beetles came stock with NO oil filter setups! Now THATS hitlers revenge

RCDave

Reaction score
I don't need no stinking oil filter on my boat!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The racing filter lists the 97% too as well as the 10 Microns.

Merc literature is known for misprints.:(

Nothing listed that i can find for 4548-12 and if you search Marine 4548-12 there's not "much" listed for it so it seems like that might be a bit more geared for the automotive side of standards vs marine ?.

35-866340K01 is a more of the standard filter that Fits all MCM/MIE GM engines, except V‑6 models that have the oil filter mounted on the engine block. Also fits the 4.5L and 6.2L Mercury engine. Mercury Branded, Box Point of Sale Packaged. OIL FILTER.... It don't list the microns but in looking around in the past i tend to recall seeing it somewhere around the 40m numbers along with equivalent types like sierra marine, etc. etc.

Now Merc has another one that's supposed to be like the racing one for the smaller base engines such as the new 8.2's and under. but doesn't specifically say anything about micron size like the racing one did... 35-858004K High efficiency, High performance synthetic media removes over 97% of oil contaminants versus 78% for conventional paper element filters. Fits all MCM/MIE GM engines, except V‑6 models that have the oil filter mounted on the engine block. Mercury Branded, Box Point of Sale Packaged.
http://forum.chaparralboats.com/ind...ng-every-day-merc-high-efficiency-oil-filter/

I can't confirm but i did read from an credible source from a high end Mercruiser service tech that a company named Bel-Ray makes some of Mercruiser's oils, filters, & greases for their marine side.....Be interesting to open up one of Bel-Ray's filters too.;)
https://issuu.com/belraycompany/docs/belray_marine_brochure_2017_highres

I cannot find the connection to 10 micron anywhere but your paste but I think I have a theory as to the measurement discrepancy.

According to the box Merc is using the SAE-HS806 test.
Most filter companies have standardized on ISO 4548-12.

I believe well find that the filters ISO performance will be about if not exactly what the automotive version is from Champ (or whoever makes it).

Im going to do little reading and see what I can learn about the SAE standard.

UD

IMG_6484.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Here's why I say I feel its little small for a BBC and 100 hour rating

Both of these are rated for 100 hours- comparatively Ilmor calls for a small wix/ napa about the size of the small one and says 20 hours.

Im sure the basic small one would probably make it a year if you were starting from a clean well maintained mill, but if a guy gets behind on it there just isnt much there.

We were talking about filter sizing on bitog and although its true modern autos are under only fractional load and put out less than a gram every thousand miles some of the filter sizes like my titan 5.6 are simply really small, boats spew out a ton.

UD

IMG_6514.jpg
IMG_6516.jpg
IMG_6515.jpg

lavey jr

Reaction score

UD

My 2011 Volvo C30 has that type of oil filter setup. I've done the oil in it twice and yielded only 1-2 drops of oil mess each time.
I always start by lifting the car, drain the majority of oil out of the pan, lower car while still keeping drain plug out to drain as much oil as possible, loosen the plastic oil filter cap just till the O ring passes the threads to allow filter to drain oil, rotate tires to buy time for filter to drain, pull the oil filter and replace, install drain plug and fill. Maybe the Volvo system allows the oil filter to drain easier than others, I'm not sure but I like to think my method works well haha

Have you ever cut open any Purolator Pure One filters? That's what I run on my 2006 Subaru STI. Next time I'm back home I'll change my oil and save the filter for you to inspect.

dryhoze1

Reaction score
Baldwin & only Baldwin
B253 to be exact

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My 2011 Volvo C30 has that type of oil filter setup. I've done the oil in it twice and yielded only 1-2 drops of oil mess each time.
I always start by lifting the car, drain the majority of oil out of the pan, lower car while still keeping drain plug out to drain as much oil as possible, loosen the plastic oil filter cap just till the O ring passes the threads to allow filter to drain oil, rotate tires to buy time for filter to drain, pull the oil filter and replace, install drain plug and fill. Maybe the Volvo system allows the oil filter to drain easier than others, I'm not sure but I like to think my method works well haha

Have you ever cut open any Purolator Pure One filters? That's what I run on my 2006 Subaru STI. Next time I'm back home I'll change my oil and save the filter for you to inspect.

A Volvo? You? ......well circle back on that later.

What size is that cap? Did you have to buy a new tool to do it?

Doesn't matter how long you wait with the Benzes fleece filter - you are getting oil on something including you- and old diesel oil is NASSSTY.

You forgot about changing the O rings...

Where do you dispose of the exposed element? Cans are easy they go into a cardboard box open side up and they don't leach oil further.

Haven't cut any purolators, but they get slammed for tears continuously on bitog you can go look and see dozens of cut and pastes where they tear at the endcap and the pleats get wide and wavy - so I haven't even bothered since I don't run them anyway. Save it - Ill bring in my cutter and well take a look.

Got a magnet on that thing yet? Look at what was in my Hondas break-in oil - glad I run them. No full flow single stage filter is going to take out 2-10 micron particles.

UD
IMG_6441.jpg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Yeah....these things. Great idea but not for me.

I can find neither an ISO number or an SAE test number here.

On the filter litmus test of

Will it fail (yes no) Id say no it won't - They are built pretty well.
How well does it filter - Id say from what I've seen it fails the filter performance part pretty badly.
These guys claim 35 microns and no %.
Hugely off the mark of what a top of the line and even mid line spin on cans accomplish for a few bucks that offer throwaway convenience

The flow is a non-issue modern(new) filters in no way impede flow to any great extent.

Do we know of a single engine builder in our industry using them?

I can't imagine cleaning this thing....

UD

lavey jr

Reaction score
A Volvo? You? ......well circle back on that later.

What size is that cap? Did you have to buy a new tool to do it?

Doesn't matter how long you wait with the Benzes fleece filter - you are getting oil on something including you- and old diesel oil is NASSSTY.

You forgot about changing the O rings...

Where do you dispose of the exposed element? Cans are easy they go into a cardboard box open side up and they don't leach oil further.

Haven't cut any purolators, but they get slammed for tears continuously on bitog you can go look and see dozens of cut and pastes where they tear at the endcap and the pleats get wide and wavy - so I haven't even bothered since I don't run them anyway. Save it - Ill bring in my cutter and well take a look.

Got a magnet on that thing yet? Look at what was in my Hondas break-in oil - glad I run them. No full flow single stage filter is going to take out 2-10 micron particles.

UD
View attachment 660755

Yup, the Volvo is one of my Hawaii cars along with my island beater Tacoma.

To get he cap off it was something like a 32mm or 36mm socket. There's an auto shop on base that we can rent a stall/lift along with all tools. They also take care of all the oil/filter disposals so I've never had to worry about that. Oh and yes I did change out the O ring, forgot to mention that one.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

My Volvo Penta 5.7 had a canister filter on it. Made life very easy in the boat. I also ran a Wix XP filter in the canister.

Yea it is some 35 or 36mm socket to remove it. Still 10x better than the Toyota version.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
My Volvo Penta 5.7 had a canister filter on it. Made life very easy in the boat. I also ran a Wix XP filter in the canister.

Yea it is some 35 or 36mm socket to remove it. Still 10x better than the Toyota version.
The Toyota has a small plastic nipple they want inserted to assist in initial draining right?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
My 04 Lexus has a spin on as does my titan and ridgeline. You gotta unbolt some aero bullshit but its right there.
Im going 10K changes in it now and changing the filter every 20K. I just topside oil change the thing in a few minutes.

The Titan Ridgeline and Onan 8000 all run the same filter size makes stocking up easy.
I can get a solo cup or ziplock bag under or around most of them for the initial drip out.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
A guy with a Honda Ridgeline automatically forfeits his right to bust anybody's balls about the type of car they drive. :D

Haha ! I can bust balls downward those possessing even less towing capacity.

That said the ridgeline is hands down the most useful car Ive ever owned.

It didn't replace the truck it replaced the Lexus SUV.

UD