WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Mercury Oil Filters...Whats in yours?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
After several off board discussions about the subject with another member I decided it was time to take a look inside to see what you get with a Merc filter.

These seem to be the two most popular - the standard black motor filter and the step up "RacingFilter" for Blue motors.

I like to start with seeing what the boxes themselves say - stuff like where are they actually made, what if any specs are printed - anything that gives you any info on whats going on inside.

I'll put some picts up and add commentary over a bit of time.

In short based on knowing whats available on the market and having been cutting filters open a long time I wouldn't run either of these.

UD

IMG_6475.jpg

Roaddawg

Reaction score
That being said, what is your go to filter?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Baldwin b279 have always been what we used that are interchangeable with those taller Merc Racing filters, that being said i've never had an issue with either over years and years of service.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Standard can - No bypass (debatable good or bad)

Strange baseplate - with internal dome
Nitrile ADBV
Fibre Endcaps
Non wire backed cellulose or some syn blend
NO real spec to be found other than the nonsensical statement on the box.
Unsealed box- containing an unsealed filter.
thin can
plastic core

Upsides

Made in America!
Nice paint on can.

Things to note : Odd stain on media. Weird baseplate
IMG_6493.jpg
IMG_6496.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Baldwin b279 have always been what we used that are interchangeable with those taller Merc Racing filters, that being said i've never had an issue with either over years and years of service.

Shane have you cut a Baldwin open? The few that I have were not impressive.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The Racing Filter - Its a dome end bypass using an internal mechanism dont know if the spring is SS of how the mechanism is mounted to the cap as of yet.

The Good.

Thick can
Well painted
Silicon ADBV
Thick baseplate
Metal end caps
Upgraded media either fully Syn or syn glass blend (best guess)
Wire backed media
Metal center tube w Holes Vs louvers
USA!

The Bad

Worst seam ever.
Sloppiest potting job Ive seen - and Ive seen a lot- looks like the grade school kids level work.
Whats it really do? The racing filter is listed on the box to be "97% efficient" but then has no micron rating or asterisk - meaning that one number without the other is nothing but bunch of frontier gibberish.
Unsealed box containing unsealed filter.

secondary color on media indicates another contaminant of some sort.

IMG_6506.jpg
IMG_6505.jpg
IMG_6508.jpg
IMG_6511.jpg

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
That seam is horrible. Looks like a Champ labs filter. Similar to Royal Purple or Amsoil EAO.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
That being said, what is your go to filter?

Im all over the map application dependent.

I run Napa Wix in my Ilmor
I run Morosos in My BBC and will likely switch to the new Fram HP4
I run Fram Ultras in my auto and trucks
I run Cat, Baldwin and Cummins filters in my RV's
Ive had good luck with the micro greens which are very controversial.

UD

dribble

Reaction score
I'm running a Mobil 1 filter. Decent quality, synthetic media, right color.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I'm running a Mobil 1 filter. Decent quality, synthetic media, right color.

The media is resin impregnated though. Not a quality you want in a filter. K and N also resin impregnates.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The media is resin impregnated though. Not a quality you want in a filter. K and N also resin impregnates.

Not as good as pure syn - agreed but certainly fine for a 10K automotive OCI/FCI
Better than plain cellulose....

UD

River Runnin

Captain Of Havasu’s Coolest Boat
Reaction score
WIX 5151R or 5151'S stock! run duals!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I run Wix or K&N. I think it was G7 did a huge in-depth documentary before he died about the different filters. Napa Gold did okay too I'd I remember correctly.

Cdog

Reaction score
I always run Mobil 1 & or K& N filters.

They have been proven to be the best.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Those are good filters for sure - Thats a tall statement I haven't seen backed up in much data or discussion on BITOG.

More than half of these filter vids don't have proper comparisons with each brands actual top of the line filter.

For example the vid above does not have the top end Fram in it the Ultra (which actually has the best specs) - only the lower end models leading to the " fram is junk" conclusion.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I run Wix or K&N. I think it was G7 did a huge in-depth documentary before he died about the different filters. Napa Gold did okay too I'd I remember correctly.

Thats because Napa gold and platinum are made by WIX.

The 2 most important things a filter can do is-

#1 not fail.
#2 filter well

WIx makes a solid filter- but one that does not have great filtering specs, and WIX refuses to properly label things so as to cloud the issue of efficiency.

Wix are " rock catchers".

UD

Slats

Reaction score
How about the Quicksilver brand or sierra brand from west marine

Cdog

Reaction score
Those are good filters for sure - Thats a tall statement I haven't seen backed up in much data or discussion on BITOG.

More than half of these filter vids don't have proper comparisons with each brands actual top of the line filter.

For example the vid above does not have the top end Fram in it the Ultra (which actually has the best specs) - only the lower end models leading to the " fram is junk" conclusion.

UD

I think it was bobs the oil guy who did a big write up on it. The dude geeks out on oil & filters. I believe the mobile 1 & k&n are made by the same mfg from what I read.

Cdog

Reaction score

They’re all just rebrands. They don’t make their filters. I guess that’s why I prefer to go straight to the source as possible.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I think it was bobs the oil guy who did a big write up on it. The dude geeks out on oil & filters. I believe the mobile 1 & k&n are made by the same mfg from what I read.

BITOGs pet filter is the Fram Ultra these days. With Amoil, RP, Mobil coming it at or near.

10 years ago it was the purolator pure one.
Now all puroltaor based products are shunned totally for tearing.

Best thing about the K&N is the bolt on the dome.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

We can tell you pretty sure who makes it when we cut one open.

There are only a handful of actual manufacturers. Like Cdog says these are rebrands.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Solid move.
Based on what I see here Id go Baldwin over Merc every time.

UD

Slats

Reaction score
I know they don't make their own just wondered if there were any comparisons with them and the "name brand" filters.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
That first black one you cut open looks a lot like the new delco e-core filters. Is the center tube plastic?

Cdog

Reaction score
BITOGs pet filter is the Fram Ultra these days. With Amoil, RP, Mobil coming it at or near.

10 years ago it was the purolator pure one.
Now all puroltaor based products are shunned totally for tearing.

Best thing about the K&N is the bolt on the dome.

UD

I’ve run all mobile 1 exclusively on my lbz diesel and haven’t been let down yet.

On our SCCA cars everyone uses something different but the spec engine builders swear by Mobile 1 on the dyno over the expensive stuff like driven.

My best guess is if the oil is that good then the filters must be equal quality.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Last time at the parts store, the k&Ns for the chevy and dodge were now made in mexico.

Slats

Reaction score
Are you going to cut one open? On my diesel I run the motorcraft or the farm. It's over 400,000 miles.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I know they don't make their own just wondered if there were any comparisons with them and the "name brand" filters.

I don't know, myself

Some times the box will give you clues as to who by the features and numbers.

The only way to know other times is to cut it open as each manufacturer has pretty standard build types and parts they use.

UD

Cdog

Reaction score
Last time at the parts store, the k&Ns for the chevy and dodge were now made in mexico.

Hmm. I thought I had read that the internals didn’t n the Mobil 1 & k&n was identical.

Could be wrong.

Slats

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the info. I will stay tuned to watch this story continue

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
changed oil in the fleet last week and used delcos instead

Hmm. I thought I had read that the internals didn’t n the Mobil 1 & k&n was identical.

Could be wrong.

Cdog

Reaction score
I guess what I don’t like about fram is how bad their cheap filters are. For years they marketed their orange filters as a go to premium brand and all the extension versions of their filters. Knowing all along most of their filters were cheap shit.

I avoid the brand as a whole now after seeing how crappy even their mid brand products are.

And I use to work at Allied Signal Aerospace Division. Frams former parent company.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Thats because Napa gold and platinum are made by WIX.

The 2 most important things a filter can do is-

#1 not fail.
#2 filter well

WIx makes a solid filter- but one that does not have great filtering specs, and WIX refuses to properly label things so as to cloud the issue of efficiency.

Wix are " rock catchers".

UD

Run'n a 6.2 DI w/ 0-20 wt. oil.... KEM recommends Napa #1515 (Wix 5151) ...Just found out! lol ... So the question! ...What is better?? :)

And ran across this starting my search! :D Lol

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I understand the dislike of Fram.

The only products they make I would consider are the ultra and the new HP series racing filter.

these two are great products- I only know of one failure of an ultra an thats with a member here large orange font and I believe it was damaged before he got it.

UD

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I guess what I don’t like about fram is how bad their cheap filters are. For years they marketed their orange filters as a go to premium brand and all the extension versions of their filters. Knowing all along most of their filters were cheap shit.

I avoid the brand as a whole now after seeing how crappy even their mid brand products are.

And I use to work at Allied Signal Aerospace Division. Frams former parent company.

Agreed.

You don’t happen to remember a Tim Fear from Allied Signal do ya? He was a rebuilder for A/C turbines in Torrance....old friend of mine.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Run'n a 6.2 DI w/ 0-20 wt. oil.... KEM recommends Napa #1515 (Wix 5151) ...Just found out! lol ... So the question! ...What is better?? :)

And ran across this starting my search! :D Lol

This guys physical comparison is pretty good and these by and large are the models.

Its not current however.

What he doenst get into much are the actual filtering specs between them and hes wrong about what he actually talks about.

this guys pronunciation is diff -A.M.- soil.

UD

River Runnin

Reaction score
This guys physical comparison is pretty good and these by and large are the models.

What he doenst get into much are the actual filtering specs between them.

UD

The only thing I picked up was the Amsoil filter had the smallest micron size compared to the identical rest.

Cdog

Reaction score
Agreed.

You don’t happen to remember a Tim Fear from Allied Signal do ya? He was a rebuilder for A/C turbines in Torrance....old friend of mine.

I don’t remember him but I did work at that location. I was on the fan line & international Space Station Project.

Man that was forever ago... im getting old..

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The only thing I picked up was the Amsoil filter had the smallest micron size compared to the identical rest.

Its a bit older so the newer stuff is rated a bit diff.

AMSOIL claim currently 98.7 @20 Micron

Fram Ultra 99%@20 micron

WIX has never had a 99%@ 20 micron filter I know of - that'd be my new fav if so.

UD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
That’s what I run too, well different p/n but still a wix

That is just taller than the standard 51069
For years the only filter that I would run were Fram HP but after two back to back recreations of the Exxon Valdez incident in my driveway I switched to Bosch.

Bosch = Purolator Pure 1

On my race car I use Wix standard filters and Castrol GTX 20w50. Great results thus far.

Last edited:

wallnutz

Reaction score
I use the AC Delcos on my GM stuff, also used them on my 496 HO. If something goes bad I should be covered by warranty using suggested parts. I think if you change your oil and filter regularly it doesn’t matter much. We used to cut some of our old filters up and have our oil analyzed with not very much change over time.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Using a good reliable "rock catcher" like a Wix, teamed up with a bypass filter would seem to be the ideal situation. These have been around for along time and I've had some very positive experiences with them. They were the original TP filter but they have grown up a bit and are using better filtration media now.
http://www.frantzfilters.com/