WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Low-sulfur High diesel fuel

BAS

Reaction score
F79D975B-CADA-453E-B86C-019ED354FD72.jpeg
so a buddy used this fuel to refill my new truck. I would of never read the label at the pump, but he’s panicking that he’s gonna ruin my 2018 Cummins. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Thanks,

BAS

BAS

Reaction score
That’s what I thought, then when I hung up I was like oh f$ck.

WillyWonka

Reaction score
Later means 2007 to current.

I remember when the new stuff came out and diesel skyrocketed back in 2007.

Your truck will be fine.

Boat 405

Reaction score
If your worried about it. Have it towed and pump the stuff out. Refill with new stuff

yz450mm

Reaction score
It will probably throw it into a couple of regeneration Cycles, but I don't think it will hurt anything other than taking a little life off of the DPF. Maybe you can get it down to half tank and then fill with ulsd.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BAS

Reaction score
Shit, I told him not to worry about it and he drove it for 30-40 miles. When he dropped it off it was running fine. Maybe I’ll call the gas station. How would you get the fuel out, siphon it out?

chaser

Reaction score
Don't worry about it , they have been selling ultra low fuel for years. That is the same fuel you get at any other station

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Fairly sure that it is actually ULS. I believe it was federal that required the transition for all but dyed off road fuel years back. Even if it was just LS, with one fill up you will be fine. It is kind of like when you put leaded fuel into a catalytic converter vehicle. Assuming you didn't do it regularly you were fine. If you were getting is smog checked this week you might be a little dirty but it will all burn out shortly, pull heavy with ULS and it will clean out any residue.

As a fall back position the DPF has a long warrantee, just make sure you get your first smog test before that is up. Of course this is assuming you live here in California.

BAS

Reaction score
So I called the station and spoke with a manger and then had no clue. Said they’d call the supplier and get back to me later this week .

So the majority of you guys say forget it and burn through this tank like every other

I guess now is a good time to ask about fuel additives and def fluids. what does the census think, no additives or which additives? I’m going to run a 100 transfer tank in the bed also. And any def fluid or a particular brand?

RCDave

Reaction score
I ran Optilube XPD (additive) in my former RV, which had a pre-ULSD Cat C7 engine. Mostly to increase the lubricity of the ULSD fuels.

Now I have a ISL Cummins 8.9 with DPF filter with no DEF. Still running the additive but not sure if I need to.

Xring01

Reaction score
You gonna think I am joking... but I am not..

Just go down to Wallmart, buy the cheap gallon of Penzoil 2 Stroke Oil ($19/gallon)... Add that to your diesel at 1 ounce 2 stroke oil/gallon of diesel. For example, 20 gallons of diesel, then add 20 oz of oil.. That simple.

Been doing it for 6-7years now... in my 2002 GMC 2500 4x4.

A few things you will notice.
Engine will run quieter, have more power
Less Vibrations on the gas peddle
Fuel economy will increase up to 10%

Seriously, I am not joking... It works like a champ...
I have about 190,000 problem free miles on my truck, with the basic mods I have done, I get 22 MPG Freeway, 17MPG around town.

The gas, diesel compnays/government has removed the lubricity from the fuel that our trucks need for a long life... Just add it back in... give your truck what it needs... it will love you back...

fishing fool

Reaction score
I too have used 2 stroke oil for years (not all the time) but it does work.

I think the refineries only make low sulfur diesel.
The only difference in diesel is red die diesel. No taxes for farm equipment

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
How about not doing anything. When low sulfer fuel came out, those stickers were required on every diesel pump by federal law. Now the only diesel available at the pump is ULSD. It's all compliant with the law and the proper fuel for all diesel powered vehicles.

Sanjay has never bothered to remove the sticker. He has other things to do, like wipe down the grease in the hot dog carousel.

Jonas Grumby

The Skipper
Reaction score
It’s the correct fuel for your 2018. Don’t put any oil in anything newer than 2007. The older injectors didn’t like the uls, so the 2 stroke oil wasn’t a bad idea. You have dpf and def, oil in ur fuel will f it up..

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about.. The fuel dumped into the tanks is the same fuel you would find at any truck stop in SoCal..ALL Fuel is ULS unless it's off road fuel (Red Dye)

BAS

Reaction score
Drove that fuck off a cliff, now time to find a new one. 532 miles on a brand new truck.

No, on a serious note. Fucking old stickers, it was ulsd. I had no clue, new to Colorado and the sell 85 octane at the pumps. before this new diesel I had three 7.3’s that never gave me any problems, periodically I used to run ATF fluid in them. I was never religious about it, but all those ran over 300k, my brother is still driving one with over 500k on it. Runs great, oil pans rusting and he just burned up the tow master trans from jwtt. Saddly, I don’t think he serviced it since I gave it to him. What a shame

mitch6601

HMFIC
Reaction score
As mentioned above 2 stroke oil for older diesel engines - I have 05 CTD 5.9l (no smog stuff or sensors) I use 1 ounce for every 2 gal of fuel. I have even done 1 ounce to 1 gal a few times. No issues whatsoever.

I don't buy penziol stuff but the cheaper TCW3 walmart 2 stroke oil. Been doing it for over 200,000 miles. Lubricates what sulfur used to lubricate. Plus a little added fuel mileage. I have about 8 of the little bottles and now buy it buy gallon and refill the little bottles. 1 bottle per tank. (regular tank 36 gal and in bed transfer tank 42 gal)

scottchbrite

Reaction score
As mentioned above 2 stroke oil for older diesel engines - I have 05 CTD 5.9l (no smog stuff or sensors) I use 1 ounce for every 2 gal of fuel. I have even done 1 ounce to 1 gal a few times. No issues whatsoever.

I don't buy penziol stuff but the cheaper TCW3 walmart 2 stroke oil. Been doing it for over 200,000 miles. Lubricates what sulfur used to lubricate. Plus a little added fuel mileage. I have about 8 of the little bottles and now buy it buy gallon and refill the little bottles. 1 bottle per tank. (regular tank 36 gal and in bed transfer tank 42 gal)
Same thing here. I have an 03 duramax. I’m late to the game in doing this, but I’ve noticed a difference. What it’s done for me is prolong the injector replacement that I eventually need to do. I have a few injectors that are causing it to smoke at idle.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

That’s what I did when I had my 2007 CTD also, when I ran diesel.

I had a biodiesel station near my house that I ran B20 as often as I could. It has way more lubricity and I swear the truck ran smoother on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I have an 03 7.3 and have been running diesel kleen in it since I bought the truck. Does the two stroke oil do the same thing?

Xring01

Reaction score
I have an 03 7.3 and have been running diesel kleen in it since I bought the truck. Does the two stroke oil do the same thing?

If you search you tube and google.. A big comparison of all the off the shelf products was done..
Some didnt do shit, some better than others.. but none truly justified the cost in my opinion..

In my research, i kept coming across videos of guys using 2 stroke oil..

Logically it makes sense.. deisel is an oil.. modern day smog requirements have removed alot of the lubricants in deisel that made older deisel engines reliable.. Deisel sold today does not have the lubricity that our fuel pumps, injectors, pistons, etc.. need.. Therefore they do not last as long as they used to.

2 stroke oil is designed to provide lubricity in 2 strokes engines.. there are 2 stroke deisels..

After a ton of research, I tried it and instantly noticed a huge difference in many aspects that I outlined in my earlier post..

190,000 miles and counting...

robby dmax

Reaction score
This is what run..have had pretty good luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-10-14-10-40.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-10-14-10-40.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 126

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Let us know if you see any difference.

I have been using a quart of 2 SO at every fill up since this thread. Fuel mileage might be a little better, 1/2 to maybe 1 mile per gallon better. The big difference is how much quieter the motor runs, it’s been a big difference.

I have been researching some Ford forums to see if there are any downsides, and only one person mentioned possible injector issues, all the other comments have been positive to add about 1oz per gallon.

I think I will keep adding 2 SO, but wonder if running some Diesel Kleen...or something like that, might help occasionally.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
Glad its working for you..

I have over 200k on mine... running 2 stroke oil since 140k...
No issues,
Engines runs smoother
Better fuel economy..

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Drove that fuck off a cliff, now time to find a new one. 532 miles on a brand new truck.

No, on a serious note. Fucking old stickers, it was ulsd. I had no clue, new to Colorado and the sell 85 octane at the pumps. before this new diesel I had three 7.3’s that never gave me any problems, periodically I used to run ATF fluid in them. I was never religious about it, but all those ran over 300k, my brother is still driving one with over 500k on it. Runs great, oil pans rusting and he just burned up the tow master trans from jwtt. Saddly, I don’t think he serviced it since I gave it to him. What a shame
Knew a guy who always used ATF added into his tank to help lubrication on his tow truck. Although never an issue, he did worry about the authorities thinking he was running red dye fuel.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
That would be the issue with Trans fluid.....
They look for ANY red color and will pop you. At least with most two stroke oil you get something like blue or green.

I am now running the optilube.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I started using Lucas a couple weeks ago not seeing any difference from Diesel Kleen. I have what looks like soot down the drivers side of the truck and in the wheel well that stopped after I ran out if DK and then came back when I started using Lucas. Anyone have this happen?

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I started using Lucas a couple weeks ago not seeing any difference from Diesel Kleen. I have what looks like soot down the drivers side of the truck and in the wheel well that stopped after I ran out if DK and then came back when I started using Lucas. Anyone have this happen?

You use 2 SO and Lucas at each fill up?

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
You gonna think I am joking... but I am not..

Just go down to Wallmart, buy the cheap gallon of Penzoil 2 Stroke Oil ($19/gallon)... Add that to your diesel at 1 ounce 2 stroke oil/gallon of diesel. For example, 20 gallons of diesel, then add 20 oz of oil.. That simple.

Been doing it for 6-7years now... in my 2002 GMC 2500 4x4.

A few things you will notice.
Engine will run quieter, have more power
Less Vibrations on the gas peddle
Fuel economy will increase up to 10%

Seriously, I am not joking... It works like a champ...
I have about 190,000 problem free miles on my truck, with the basic mods I have done, I get 22 MPG Freeway, 17MPG around town.

The gas, diesel compnays/government has removed the lubricity from the fuel that our trucks need for a long life... Just add it back in... give your truck what it needs... it will love you back...
Please whatever you do don't do this on a truck that still has the DPF installed! The new emissions systems are so picky, you'll find yourself with a pugged DPF. The truck has a maximum number of cycles and time before it throws a code, if it exceeds that you'll be going to the dealer.
Now if you have deleted or are running an older diesel then sure add some oil!

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Knew a guy who always used ATF added into his tank to help lubrication on his tow truck. Although never an issue, he did worry about the authorities thinking he was running red dye fuel.
...I used Marvel mystery oil in my 7.3 non turbo Ford...then I started using Walmart ATF...worked great...I guess...never have added a thing to my 12 valve Cummins... never even thought about getting tested by the CHP for red diesel ???..:maybe I will start doing the outboard motor oil thing...Dunno???...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
...I used Marvel mystery oil in my 7.3 non turbo Ford...then I started using Walmart ATF...worked great...I guess...never have added a thing to my 12 valve Cummins... never even thought about getting tested by the CHP for red diesel ???..:maybe I will start doing the outboard motor oil thing...Dunno???...
He ran it in a roll back tow rig. A "not for hire" vehicle. A wholesaler who used it to move cars he bought or traded.
I heard of others using MMO too. Never heard any negatives.
I've run diesel kleen in my 7.3psd periodically just to cleanse and lube. Might consider adding ring-ding-ding oil more regularly if I notice an appreciable difference.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

If it’s a p7100 12v don’t waste your money on additives. The pump and injectors will last forever as is. The VE pump 12v’s, the pump doesn’t mind oil but not necessary.

cpdad93

Reaction score
when they first switched, I am guessing mid 90s, the low sulfur fuel caused the fuel pumps to fail due to lack of lubrication. For a while the State even paid for the new pumps. Fuel pumps on an 86 IDI Ford was sure a lot easier to replace than a late 90s powerstroke.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
2003 and 2013 duramax I use optilube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
If it’s a p7100 12v don’t waste your money on additives. The pump and injectors will last forever as is. The VE pump 12v’s, the pump doesn’t mind oil but not necessary.
...Thanks...It’s s ‘97...so if oil is not necessary maybe I’ll just spend the money on donuts???...

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
How many tanks of fuel should i run with no additive (2 SO) before a smog test? Lol

Your ad here

Reaction score
On a 7.3 and 6.0 Powerstroke having clean oil is just as important as having clean fuel since the injectors are hydraulically fired. FWIW my 7.3 injectors have 420k on them and the truck starts/runs just like the 100k mile truck we have. No smoke on start up either. Never used additives, just changed the oil every 5k and fuel filter every 10k. I always check the fuel nozzle for dirt when filling. Sometimes they are covered with sand and dirt. I'll probably wear out the copper cups before an injector. 7.3s have a regular fuel pump on the frame rail feeding the injectors or a mechanical pump on the engine if it's an obs. No p-pump, rotary pump, cp3, cp4.