WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LOTO Shootout 2015...

TKGuardianAngel

Reaction score
We have too many clients participating this year so I am sad to miss it but I can't wait to see our guy Brad Rowland and his pontoon hit 110+mph :D

TCHB

Reaction score
It will be fun to watch the smaller boats put some big numbers up.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Lol...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440725830.971346.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440725843.777330.jpg

Andy01

Reaction score
I know Gary's boat is fast, he might clean up this year... :D my fastest client.

prosthogod

Reaction score
I call BS on Gary's(smith) boat going 200. He might have Brummett tuning them now but even when new with 1800hp it was only in the mid 170s at havasu. Where do you get 30 mph?

Andy01

Reaction score
I call BS on Gary's(smith) boat going 200. He might have Brummett tuning them now but even when new with 1800hp it was only in the mid 170s at havasu. Where do you get 30 mph?

You might be surprised on the set up.........wait for the shootout.......

milkmoney

Reaction score
Gary's boat has always been faster than mid 170s. It takes awhile for a 40 to get rolling. In all the years at LOTO only two piston powered boats have ever broken 200, that I know of; one the 1 mile course, a 2002 36 Skater(bud boat) 202mph, a 50 Mystic, 208mph. Two years ago that same 36 Skater ran 195mph & last year JT ran 198mph in Roths Skater 388. Gary's boat did run 177mph & 180mph at LOTO 2011 to win his class (that same year Romer ran 191mph) & Gary also has Go-Pro of the boat running 185mph at DS, 2011 running to card stop one vs. the green M31.

Pokey has spoken. No more discussion [emoji2]

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Ha! MSD still can't get it right... Under Brummet power now right?

Carson's there he'll have that shitty little box taken care of. If the conditions are right he goes over 2 hundy.

Hopefully it happens, in a 40 Skater, and with no "special" throttle person hired.

G. Faulk

Reaction score

On Carson's dyno and Carson doing the tune, there probably really 1800s now. Real reliable power, Garys drive to make his boat the best it can be, all this adds the 30.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
On Carson's dyno and Carson doing the tune, there probably really 1800s now. Real reliable power, Garys drive to make his boat the best it can be, all this adds the 30.

Tell me why Carson's dunno is the only true dyno?

precisiondetails

Reaction score
Gary's boat ran 186 on gps at the shootout in 2011. I know this cause I was there in the boat right when he got back to the docks. So no he doesn't need to find 30 mph. He needs less than half that!!

G. Faulk

Reaction score

Top secret:D:D

Honestly, he's excellent at engine tune, engine building, doesn't fudge numbers, doesn't cut corners, and he really knows his stuff. I really don't know why, but I do have some proof.

My first blower motor I had done way back when by someone in AZ that claimed it made 835hp on his dyno. Put it in my boat, ran ok, made ok power but sucked up a ton a fuel. I got in contact with Carson got the motor out of the boat and on to his dyno. I get a call the next day, which is huge for Mr snail,:D asking me to come to his shop. I get there and this is back in the day when he had his first dyno on a steel frame on 4 wheels. Turns on the water, warms it up, and lets it rip. Motor makes 733 HP and sucking up 101 gallons of fuel at whatever they call it in dyno terms. He literally takes the air cleaners off that were installed previously by the existing builder, gets the right ones on the carbs, the motor picks up 79 hp and the fuel goes down to 82 gallons. Aint shitting ya, seen it with my own eyes. Don't know much about dyno calibration and fudging numbers or adding weight, but that seemed pretty simple. From there he's done about 8 motors for me most all on his new dyno. Never had an issue except a faulty rocker arm which he fully covered. Not saying anything about other marine engine builders just what I've seen with Carson personally.

Been out of it for a while but it seems the fastest Skaters all are Brummett powered.

PD if you've never seen a big hp motor run on a real dyno go by there and watch one of his big hp motors run. Smith Roth London, those motors shake the building floor, literally. Its really cool to see. Almost scary when he leaves the dyno hammer pinned for a long as he does.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Top secret:D:D

Honestly, he's excellent at engine tune, engine building, doesn't fudge numbers, doesn't cut corners, and he really knows his stuff. I really don't know why, but I do have some proof.

My first blower motor I had done way back when by someone in AZ that claimed it made 835hp on his dyno. Put it in my boat, ran ok, made ok power but sucked up a ton a fuel. I got in contact with Carson got the motor out of the boat and on to his dyno. I get a call the next day, which is huge for Mr snail,:D asking me to come to his shop. I get there and this is back in the day when he had his first dyno on a steel frame on 4 wheels. Turns on the water, warms it up, and lets it rip. Motor makes 733 HP and sucking up 101 gallons of fuel at whatever they call it in dyno terms. He literally takes the air cleaners off that were installed previously by the existing builder, gets the right ones on the carbs, the motor picks up 79 hp and the fuel goes down to 82 gallons. Aint shitting ya, seen it with my own eyes. Don't know much about dyno calibration and fudging numbers or adding weight, but that seemed pretty simple. From there he's done about 8 motors for me most all on his new dyno. Never had an issue except a faulty rocker arm which he fully covered. Not saying anything about other marine engine builders just what I've seen with Carson personally.

Been out of it for a while but it seems the fastest Skaters all are Brummett powered.

PD if you've never seen a big hp motor run on a real dyno go by there and watch one of his big hp motors run. Smith Roth London, those motors shake the building floor, literally. Its really cool to see. Almost scary when he leaves the dyno hammer pinned for a long as he does.

I know he knows his shit. But this doesn't explain why his dyno is the only true dyno. This only proves the other guy didn't have proper setup.
I completely agree others lie about numbers if you're not there.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score

We need to get Racey by here to give all the technical details...I just know what I have seen over the years when he has been hired to run someone's engine that made X and come to find out it didn't. Carson has spent decades perfecting his craft and is the most respected, trusted and ethical builders there is. His equipment is top notch all the internals are top notch or they are not used. He assembles everyone of his engines from top to bottom no ifs ands or buts. When it goes on the dyno he wants the honest numbers out there and doesn't care if they are high or low or whatever...they are real and no one can question them.

Ask Faulk about his 1000 hp motors in hi Nortech and the shock at how much faster his 36 with Brummett 1000s were over the Nortech 1000s...it's not called The Truth Serum for nothing!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Carson's dyno is "The Shizzz" because of how massive his absorbers are, and he has 2 of them freight trained together so he can load them together. What this means in real world terms is the ability to hold the RPM down low with a motor that makes massive torque.

On almost all other Dyno's i have seen and or tuned on are non comparable in their size and strength, meaning big HP motors will actually over power the dyno, so you can't start full throttle runs until higher up in the RPM range. Carson's dyno can park thousands of foot pounds down to probably 2,000 RPM. I think the things were originally built to dyno Aircraft engines, which create massive torque, and low rpm.

If you are tunning on a regular superflow for example (i have spent quite a few days on some of these), they are great dyno's btw, If you have a 1,000+hp motor and are trying to do full throttle sweeps or steady loads, you have to start your runs at around 4,000, 4,500 rpm. Or bring the throttle slowly as the dyno releases the ramp. This makes it difficult to really work the motor at the top end on the dyno. Also if you just park the thing at WOT at 5,500 you will steam the tank, so you can't leave it there for very long. I have seen Carson park 1,500hp for minutes on end, WOT, just laboring the absolute hell out of the motor, I have yet to see another dyno be able to do this (Not saying there aren't others out there just saying i haven't seen one).

Being able to do this is very important because you want to tune the motor as close to real world conditions as possible, and being able to sustain the load for extended periods really helps getting the combustion chambers, exhaust valves, pistons, etc up to full heat saturation.

Beyond that Carson's dyno has massive cooling, and he can run water cooled pipes, and watercooled turbos, exactly how they would be in the boat, without worrying about overheating the water over extended time periods.

It's an incredible setup

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Carson's dyno is "The Shizzz" because of how massive his absorbers are, and he has 2 of them freight trained together so he can load them together. What this means in real world terms is the ability to hold the RPM down low with a motor that makes massive torque.

On almost all other Dyno's i have seen and or tuned on are non comparable in their size and strength, meaning big HP motors will actually over power the dyno, so you can't start full throttle runs until higher up in the RPM range. Carson's dyno can park thousands of foot pounds down to probably 2,000 RPM. I think the things were originally built to dyno Aircraft engines, which create massive torque, and low rpm.

If you are tunning on a regular superflow for example (i have spent quite a few days on some of these), they are great dyno's btw, If you have a 1,000+hp motor and are trying to do full throttle sweeps or steady loads, you have to start your runs at around 4,000, 4,500 rpm. Or bring the throttle slowly as the dyno releases the ramp. This makes it difficult to really work the motor at the top end on the dyno. Also if you just park the thing at WOT at 5,500 you will steam the tank, so you can't leave it there for very long. I have seen Carson park 1,500hp for minutes on end, WOT, just laboring the absolute hell out of the motor, I have yet to see another dyno be able to do this (Not saying there aren't others out there just saying i haven't seen one).

Being able to do this is very important because you want to tune the motor as close to real world conditions as possible, and being able to sustain the load for extended periods really helps getting the combustion chambers, exhaust valves, pistons, etc up to full heat saturation.

Beyond that Carson's dyno has massive cooling, and he can run water cooled pipes, and watercooled turbos, exactly how they would be in the boat, without worrying about overheating the water over extended time periods.

It's an incredible setup

God damn, that was an awesome explanation [emoji106]

G. Faulk

Reaction score

It's an incredible setup

Thanks Buddie:D:D

There ya go PD.

To all that have never met Carson and if you have the pleasure to do, don't let his quiet mellow demeanor throw you off. He talks as much shit as I do.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Also he won't let cameras in the Dyno Building :D So you'll just have to picture in your heads, but he hangs the motor 100% off the bell housing when they are running, no other motor mounts like a normal dyno with a "dolly" The engine is hung out cantilever with the pan probably 2 1/2 feet off the ground, so you can work 100% around the motor, looking for leaks etc, it's like an engine hanging on an engine stand, never having to reach your arm into a tight spot.

The control room looks like one of his boat installations, everything is custom machined, anodized, and engraved, all the instrument cluster (probably 40-50 analog gauges, some of them are out of aircraft), and a completely custom integrated data acquisition / dyno controller that he retrofitted to the absorbers. I think he has about 100 channels of logging, maybe more. 8 egt's, 8 o2's, multiple temperatures, multiple pressures, etc, etc, etc. A 3 foot tall glass scale for fuel flow that runs through the control room first, then into the engine bay, so that he can verify his fuel flow numbers digitally vs what the tapered glass says. Giant fans for fresh air, massive freight train mufflers on the roof. He thought of everything when he built the building. Everything is plumbed hidden, fuel drums are hooked up outside the building, on and on. It's fucking cool stuff.

It's the real baddest mofo. :p

CornWater

Hey Now!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Buddie:D:D

There ya go PD.

To all that have never met Carson and if you have the pleasure to do, don't let his quiet mellow demeanor throw you off. He talks as much shit as I do.

Impossible.

Andy01

Reaction score
Racey great post, thank you for sharing.

I was hang'n out with Vern last week before they left and he was telling me about motors a wot for a while. He said it is amazing what Carson can do. Said his tank was big enough to fill swimming pools. I'm planning on going up there with Vern in the near future when they dyno a motor.

He talks as much shit as I do.

Yeah, I have to call bullshit on that statement...... :D

And I to remember the Nor Tech guys telling Greg "these are way more then 1,000's) because the Bling Wagon was faster then any Nortech 3600 with Nortech 1,000's.

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score

It's an incredible setup

Also he won't let cameras in the Dyno Building :D So you'll just have to picture in your heads, but he hangs the motor 100% off the bell housing when they are running, no other motor mounts like a normal dyno with a "dolly" The engine is hung out cantilever with the pan probably 2 1/2 feet off the ground, so you can work 100% around the motor, looking for leaks etc, it's like an engine hanging on an engine stand, never having to reach your arm into a tight spot.

The control room looks like one of his boat installations, everything is custom machined, anodized, and engraved, all the instrument cluster (probably 40-50 analog gauges, some of them are out of aircraft), and a completely custom integrated data acquisition / dyno controller that he retrofitted to the absorbers. I think he has about 100 channels of logging, maybe more. 8 egt's, 8 o2's, multiple temperatures, multiple pressures, etc, etc, etc. A 3 foot tall glass scale for fuel flow that runs through the control room first, then into the engine bay, so that he can verify his fuel flow numbers digitally vs what the tapered glass says. Giant fans for fresh air, massive freight train mufflers on the roof. He thought of everything when he built the building. Everything is plumbed hidden, fuel drums are hooked up outside the building, on and on. It's fucking cool stuff.

It's the real baddest mofo. :p

Ok Got it [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻
Thank you for taking the time to post this up.

Wozencraft

Reaction score
Having a great time out here at LOTO! The Performance Boat Center party was a great event and a chance to meet some good people! :thumbup:

11891129_939515022754030_4308237835282361985_n.jpg

bilge rat

Reaction score
Who do think is going to be TOP GUN this year?

precisiondetails

Reaction score
Well I can tell you all that Gary laid down a stupid number in testing yesterday. I'll leave it at that. :D

MSum661

Reaction score
Come on Peeps...lets keep the pictures rolling in!! Rookie follower here needs the Fix!!! :D

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Got a text that it's raining there. That shouldn't bother them?