WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for a new boat

Aaron

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself, say this is a great site with plenty of good info and stories and ask some advice on a new boat purchase.
My name is Aaron and I have a family of 4, two small girls and we live in Eastvale but just bought a house in Needles.

Gotta start with a little background. I have been enjoying the river between Laughlin and Havasu all of my life and as I have grown up and experienced many boats I have only owned tournament boats and now that I have children of my own (small 3 and 5) and bought an place in Needles I would like to buy a new boat. We are in Rio Buena Vista so we have a beach n front of the house and a place to anchor over night. I was thinking of something in the 22-24 range because I will pretty much be on my own as far as launching/docking. I am thinking a 23 Eliminator or something in that category.
I would love some input as to an open bow, cuddy cabin, engine size, benefits and negatives, things you may have thought were cool and found out after you bought the boat they were not.
Most of my boatimg will be done on the river but I would also like something that would be able to handle a little chop for those occasional Havasu runs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Eli

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Have fun and the advice should be rolling in shortly.

While I won't provide advice on a boat, for soon to be obvious reasons, I do suggest not driving cross country in a VW purchased in Canada.

Sent from my Bat Cave

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Everyone is going to tell you about their boat..... so I'll go first. Laveycraft 21XTSki. High freeboard for a 21, great for a small family like yours. Open bow, easy to handle, tows skiers, tubers, etc.

You can't go wrong with Eliminator, Ultra, Lavey, etc. Just read up around here and you will learn a lot.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There's so many boats that could fit that bill I'd have a hard time picking just one.. LOL Do you want a cuddy for the 3 year old to nap in? Or the convenience of a walk through open bow? The walk throughs are a 100 times more convenient and roomy.

Nordic just built a 25 Rage with a walk through open bow.. I'm pretty sure it's still in their show room. I'd take a hard look at that if it was me. They are built to the 10's and are priced way more reasonably then you would think.

RD

mentalmatt

Reaction score
Everyone is going to tell you about their boat..... so I'll go first. Laveycraft 21XTSki. High freeboard for a 21, great for a small family like yours. Open bow, easy to handle, tows skiers, tubers, etc.

You can't go wrong with Eliminator, Ultra, Lavey, etc. Just read up around here and you will learn a lot.

X 2!! I love my LaveyCraft 21 XTSki. Such a bad ass easy to use boat. Does great in the chop, deeper V, open bow with tons of storage and 2 built in ice chests, pushes 60 with a small 6.2 merc. Thing is built like a tank. It's a 21, but its like 22' 6" with the swim step. I have nothin but good things to say about this boat!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Aaron,welcome to RDP.👍

When you say "new" do you mean new to you?Or planning to buy/have built new?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Welcome, thank you for spelling your name
correctly. :D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I read it as "New Boat"

RD

If that's the case,Aaron's options are numerous👍
And considering his home location,Eliminator,Lavey,Cobra,Shockwave are all pretty local for him.

Aaron,you should go take the shop tour of all these places.See how they do their thing,get to know the shop owners.Have them sit down with you and pencil out their best deal on what you want.

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself, say this is a great site with plenty of good info and stories and ask some advice on a new boat purchase.
My name is Aaron and I have a family of 4, two small girls and we live in Eastvale but just bought a house in Needles.

Gotta start with a little background. I have been enjoying the river between Laughlin and Havasu all of my life and as I have grown up and experienced many boats I have only owned tournament boats and now that I have children of my own (small 3 and 5) and bought an place in Needles I would like to buy a new boat. We are in Rio Buena Vista so we have a beach n front of the house and a place to anchor over night. I was thinking of something in the 22-24 range because I will pretty much be on my own as far as launching/docking. I am thinking a 23 Eliminator or something in that category.
I would love some input as to an open bow, cuddy cabin, engine size, benefits and negatives, things you may have thought were cool and found out after you bought the boat they were not.
Most of my boatimg will be done on the river but I would also like something that would be able to handle a little chop for those occasional Havasu runs.

overnight not recommended

know the river well running up there in a outdrive :blah: just sayin
welcome :thumbsup
so many choices everyone has there favs
suck boats are good on that area of river :eek shhhhh i didn't say that

renodaytona

Reaction score
Welcome Aaron...:thumbup:

Lots of boats out there in the used market if that's what you are looking for. If you are building new your options are only limited by your budget.

We will have to plan a river trip and hook up sometime...

ScreaminSeaman

Reaction score

I have a boat that your looking for. It's 23xs lightning (ultra hull) in the classifieds. Sounds like it should be everything you are looking for.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score

You can't go wrong with Eliminator, Ultra, Lavey, COBRA etc. Just read up around here and you will learn a lot.

Great start ! Added on to your list .

Enen

Reaction score
I have a friend that is going to sell his 24 Schiada. It has a Teague 800 and XR Drive.

Aaron

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the welcome and the responses.
To clarify "new to me or new" are both options. Financially the new to me part is probably the best route but it is always nice to have something built the way you want it. It's just hard to justify 60-70k when you see something like that 21 eliminator with 39 hours for 29k.
Is a 350 big enough for a 21-24 ft. boat? I have always heard that you never want to under power a bout but on the other hand I don't wasn't to suk down fuel like no tomorrow.
I think the open bow is probably more convenient moving around but that cuddy is probably nice for the kids. Anyone have an opinion on that?

dougiebear111

Reaction score
All kidding aside, ask your wife for some major input. The last thing you want to do is get something everybody is not happy with. Welcome to the boards. Don't be afraid to look in places other than SoCal and AZ. We can get a boat to you from anywhere. Just Sayin'.

Aaron

Reaction score
All kidding aside, ask your wife for some major input. The last thing you want to do is get something everybody is not happy with. Welcome to the boards. Don't be afraid to look in places other than SoCal and AZ. We can get a boat to you from anywhere. Just Sayin'.

Good idea and yes I am not afraid to go out of area to find a boat. I purchased my 5th wheel in Colorado and made a trip out of picking it up.
Thanks for the advice and if I do find something out of area I may be calling you for your services.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
i'd have to say 240 hallett, room to grow,..handles havasu no problem,

loves the river,,,

the one pokey put up also...

Last edited by a moderator:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the welcome and the responses.
To clarify "new to me or new" are both options. Financially the new to me part is probably the best route but it is always nice to have something built the way you want it. It's just hard to justify 60-70k when you see something like that 21 eliminator with 39 hours for 29k.
Is a 350 big enough for a 21-24 ft. boat? I have always heard that you never want to under power a bout but on the other hand I don't wasn't to suk down fuel like no tomorrow.
I think the open bow is probably more convenient moving around but that cuddy is probably nice for the kids. Anyone have an opinion on that?

i'd go open bow... kids ... wife's love riding up there...makes the boat way more roomy when you can walk around.. easier to dock,,..

i'd go to mead and rent a boat, see how you like it... they have open bows for rent..

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
i'd go open bow... kids ... wife's love riding up there...makes the boat way more roomy when you can walk around.. easier to dock,,..

i'd go to mead and rent a boat, see how you like it... they have open bows for rent..
That's some good advice right there.......especially if you're planning on beaching it as you mention in an earlier post :thumbup:

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I'd have to at least look at the one pokey put up. Sounds like a gas saver and with a small, young family, who needs 60MPH.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
oh, and one more thing,,, nothing wrong with small block power. i think (know) they ride better and save fuel in a 21' boat..

only thing is you need to have a ski prop,.. and a go fast prop..

and 55 with a 260 hp small block:thumbsup

Spot

Reaction score
This boat came to my mind when I read your post. The 215 is a great family boat with small kids. Plenty of room and a user friendly Merc.350.

This particular boat has great colors, and only 39hrs on an 8yo boat? Looks like a great deal at 29K, just something to consider in your search.:thumbsup

Btw, welcome to rdp Aaron.:)

Just click the link below Aaron, and the ad will come up.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/bod/3997849521.html

That boat is perfect....

Last edited:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I agree on the open bow deal, and think renting one to get a feel for it (and let your family experience it) is an outstanding idea. There are a whole lot of very smart and well-informed people on here who are very giving with their knowledge...so that once you've made your choice and decide you want to make changes the brain trust here can be counted on.

Welcome to RDP.

Englewood

Reaction score
I am putting mine on the market soon. It is an Ultra 23xs with a 350mag - Does 62mph. Huge Stereo, new tires/batteries/Band new carbon fiber offshore interior from WCMI and tons more.$31k
npd0.jpg

RodnJen

Reaction score
Like many have said, walk-though open bow is great with kids in that size range. I wouldn't go with a cuddy-open until I got in the 28' range. I have a small block 6.2 MPI in my 21' Essex Sterling and it is fantastic. There is an older one in the spam section here with a 350 that looks really clean.

Since your kids are so young pay particular attention to the swim step, (how high, how easy is it to get in and out of the water and over the engine hatch). You will be spending alot of time on the back of the boat with kids. That brings up another subject, reverse facing seats. Essex, Shockwave and Lavey all offter them in the 21' range and, to me, they really add to the boating experience weather your are pulling skiers or just sitting having lunch.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I can assure you, they don't! :D But it is hella funny for those still in the boat! :skull

Aaron

Reaction score
Wow, thanks again for all the great replies. Looks like their are a ton of people willing to share their knowledge and experience.
A bunch of great boats out there as well.
Not sure about the reference of working out. I don't really but used to a bit

Chopperman

Reaction score
Lots of good input. Do involve your family, if they aren't into it, you won't be boating. As was previously mentioned there are a lot of really well build boats in a lot of different price ranges and performance ranges, once you start narrowing down options that you want or "must have" in the boat it'll start making sense as to what you'll need. I myself love Halletts. Right now I have a 210 that I just picked up. Before that I had a Hallett 240 which was an excellent "all around" lake and river boat. Big enough with freeboard and "v" to handle big chop and wind, yet not so big that its a hassle to launch and handle on the water. My current boat is a Hallett 210. Little smaller but an excellent family boat. Mine is a closed bow and it suits my purposes but with an open bow there is plenty of room for you and all your gear, coolers, towels etc.... Hallett makes excellent boats, but like I said earlier, there are a bunch of great manufacturers out there. I'd look at Lavey Craft, Eliminator, Advantage, Essex, Hallett just to name a few. All have great family boats in the 21-27 foot range. Or you could just go old school and get a nice Schiada. Hope the info helps a bit.

Chopperman

Tishimself

Banned
Reaction score
I see you getting into a bow rider. They are out there, but finding the one for you can and might be a long drawn out process. Be prepared to be patient and not jump on the first one you find unless your that guy who has that kind of luck. Then I want to take you to Vegas with me next time I go.:D I like a boat that is the best of both worlds, so to speak. On the one hand, a great ski boat for the family, but on the other hand, a little better than stock power for those days you just want to go up or down the river cruising. A boat that goes a little faster is always more fun. I found that in mine, I wish you the best with your search. You have done one of the most important things in your search so far. You have found the guys on this site. Here, you can tap into the wealth of knowledge they posses, and make a good informed decision you can feel good about. Best to you sir, and, along with everyone else, a warm welcome to RDP. :D:D:D:D

jet496

Reaction score
I wonder if the wakeboarder being towed would appreciate having the place diverter kicked on while in tow?

No, it pisses them off all to hell, but sometimes it happens.:eek

Aaron

Reaction score
Lots of good input. Do involve your family, if they aren't into it, you won't be boating. As was previously mentioned there are a lot of really well build boats in a lot of different price ranges and performance ranges, once you start narrowing down options that you want or "must have" in the boat it'll start making sense as to what you'll need. I myself love Halletts. Right now I have a 210 that I just picked up. Before that I had a Hallett 240 which was an excellent "all around" lake and river boat. Big enough with freeboard and "v" to handle big chop and wind, yet not so big that its a hassle to launch and handle on the water. My current boat is a Hallett 210. Little smaller but an excellent family boat. Mine is a closed bow and it suits my purposes but with an open bow there is plenty of room for you and all your gear, coolers, towels etc.... Hallett makes excellent boats, but like I said earlier, there are a bunch of great manufacturers out there. I'd look at Lavey Craft, Eliminator, Advantage, Essex, Hallett just to name a few. All have great family boats in the 21-27 foot range. Or you could just go old school and get a nice Schiada. Hope the info helps a bit.

Chopperman
Chopper an thank you. I think a open bow is the way to go as well. I would also agree that being patient is part of the process although sometimes it is a hard thing to do. Especially when you see some real nice stuff like posted on this thread. I am thinking used may be the way to go for now. At least that if it is not the perfect boat or I figure out I should have done something different I did not get myself in to a huge investment.
Thanks again for the info:thumbsup

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Chopper an thank you. I think a open bow is the way to go as well. I would also agree that being patient is part of the process although sometimes it is a hard thing to do. Especially when you see some real nice stuff like posted on this thread. I am thinking used may be the way to go for now. At least that if it is not the perfect boat or I figure out I should have done something different I did not get myself in to a huge investment.
Thanks again for the info:thumbsup

Couple of Halletts here as well. I have an 04 210 open bow that might be for sale soon. 496ho, 165 hrs, triple axle galvatube trailer etc. Great all around boat.