WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Long distance Harley ride advice?

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I have done numerous RV trips on the smaller highways and I see mostly adventure bike now and almost no HD's. So get a BMW adventure bike instead.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Ship your dirty clothes and purchases home via UPS or USPS

I used to take my old clothes, shirts, underwear, and socks, and just throw them away each day. I have also used the ship a package of fresh clothes to a destination 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I remember putting newspapers in my jacket trying to block a cold wind. LOL Having your chin so numb you couldn't feel it was not fun.

It was 91 today in Yosemite Valley. 81 in Mammoth. I don't expect to see any conditions like that!

boatpi

Reaction score
In 1975 I rode my new Kawasaki Z 900 to Yosemite and also to Ensenada bad ass bike and I kept my 750 triple. I wish I still had the triple cause they’re 25,000 now in great shape.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
In 1975 I rode my new Kawasaki Z 900 to Yosemite and also to Ensenada bad ass bike and I kept my 750 triple. I wish I still had the triple cause they’re 25,000 now in great shape.

I miss my triple as well. Nothing will Ever sound as nasty as that.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Holy crap that is lot of advice. Don't overthink it.

Lots of good tips. Lots of things I haven't thought of.

I've had handlebars in my hands most of my life, I've just never spent a whole day riding on the street before! I've done it off road, more times than I can count.

I appreciate All the advice. Every little bit helps. 👍🏼

relaxalot

Reaction score
We go on long rides every year. 2500 miles or so. Most of us are on Street Glides and Road Glides with a few BMWs.
Heated grips, heated seats.. full face helmets (modular) Cardo sound/intercoms. Despite all of the shit talking about Harleys.. no major mechanical issues at all. These machines are actually very dependable in all kinds of weather and altitudes. There are many you tubes about what to pack for long rides. Some of our guys rent bikes. It is expensive but if you only ride a couple of weeks a year it probably makes sense. I use a quadlock phone mount. Bluetooth to Cardo in helmet. Bring chargers. Long sleeve shirts are needed and used for both hot and cold weather. I prefer white in hot weather. Bring half gloves, regular gloves and ski gloves or heated gloves depending on weather. Waterproof rollup duffel bags may be a good option for luggage. This year we went to Denver, Sturgis and the black hills for 5 nights.. Nebraska back to Denver and through Colorado, Telluride, Utah, Monument Valley, Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, Prescott to Lake Havasu. We rented a one way car from Havasu to So Cal because its no fun riding in 110 plus heat. Left the bikes in Havasu. In hot weather we use cooling vests. Ice water from the hotel in a heavy plastic bag cools you down for about 45 mins. Always a fun experience. If you have a bunch of guys you can minimize... only one mini air pump is needed for the group. I bring a first aid kit and basic tools. Most overpack. Individual packing bags can help organize. Don't forget basic toiletries. Ride safe.

sintax

Reaction score
I’m really with @ONE-A-DAY on almost all those points. (Exception being the full face, highway safety released a visual one time showing where most impacts are, and I’m way too pretty! Hahaha )

The vrod is prob not the most ideal bike due to the riding position, coupled with older bones…

If you’re interested, I can let you put some miles on my Ultra Classic to determine if you feel like renting a bike would be wise.

Upsides are a newer bike, hopefully well maintained, comfortable, etc. best of all not spending 5 full evenings detailing your bike when you get home! downside, the cost, not being your bike you know inside and out.

Gear… this is always a tough subject, I’ve over packed and I’ve underpacked. If you’re gonna be a mostly populated areas, I’m more willing to go underpacked. It’s easy to find a Walmart or a Napa. Between those two places I can fix 98% of all issues that’ll pop up on a ride.

Rain gear, If you bring it, you won’t need it. It DID snow up there yesterday btw!!

As far as other shit, sounds like you’re going with at least one other person, so work with them and don’t carry duplicate stuff if you can avoid it.

Plan your routes the best you cab, including fuel stops. If it’s a desolate area, call ahead to confirm they are open and have fuel!

You mentioned camping, that really increases your gear load, esp on a vrod.

I don’t know man. I could talk all night about this, but don’t want to bore anyone.

00BD4F87-7A3A-488A-9476-A8EDEC552F28.jpeg

18EB6A32-61E0-4353-B448-68625CA0A78B.jpeg

Last edited:

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Well now I'm committed...

My BIL, nephew and friends are gonna leave SoCal, ride through Mammoth, cut across Tioga Pass (which I've been Dying to do on my Harley for years now), and spend a couple nights in Yosemite Valley.

And this is the First leg of the ride!!! 😱

So for all you guys that have done long distance rides...

Got any tips or pointers for me???

Thanks in advance. 👍🏼
My pointer is be the chase truck.😁

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Just some random things..

I use a quad lock mount and phone case that charges my phone thats mounted to my handlebars. I will run google maps and have my phones Bluetooth’d to my Sena helmet intercom. It’s a great setup that I highly recommend.

Never use a credit card at gas station pumps, I have had my credit card info stolen many times in random gas stations, use Apple Pay with your phone. At gas stations buy I big bottle of water and down it.

In the Summer try to enter the National Parks as early as possible. I have waited in long lines in hundred degree weather trying to get into Yosemite, The bikes overheat, you overheat, the stop and go is not good for the bikes. Not fun.

Kickstands up at 7am is a good way to go, ride in the cool morning before everyone is up.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
You know the rules about taking a vintage Porsche out of town.

Remember I trailered you and Evan to the river because? 😁 Are you willing to stack saddle bags 3' wide off each side?

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
Get a Road Glide!, Frog Toggs rain gear(lightweight, affordable, and work extremely well!) Flip flops for stopping for the night. Take as many back/scenic roads as you can as the highway will lull you to sleep.(also a great way to see the country)Check tire pressure every morning...throw a leg over and GIT!😁

...also take alot of pics to share
20240829_060351.jpg

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Its like writing a concise and clear biz letter

Just start writing what comes to you (laying stuff out you think you need for the ride)

Then edit out words not needed (start eliminating shit you think you need)

Edit out words again (eliminate more shit)

Edit out words again (eliminate more shit...lol)

Repeat if needed

Eventually you get there with a clear and concise letter without the need for all the extra words. Same goes for your stuff you need for the ride. Simplify and keep basics in tact

Last edited:

Bobby_329

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking I should wear my Off Road helmet and goggles, rather than just the brain bucket and shades.

It's carbon fiber and super light and comfortable. Although it would kinna suck riding around Yosemite with it.

Maybe bringing both would be a good idea? 🤔
Bell bullet is a good helmet for Harley riding. More vision than your average full face and looks like an old school helmet.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
If my 77 year old neighbor was home I'd ask her, she just left for Durango this morning. She got an award from Women of the Wind last year for 21,000 miles, missed it the prior year with only about 15,000 miles. I know she takes some rain gear and a phone, and she changes a lot of tires.;)

Last edited:

poncho

Reaction score
Its like writing a concise and clear biz letter

Just start writing what comes to you (laying stuff out you think you need for the ride)

Then edit out words not needed (start eliminating shit you think you need)

Edit out words again (eliminate more shit)

Edit out words again (eliminate more shit...lol)

Repeat if needed

Eventually you get there with a clear and concise letter without the need for all the extra words. Same goes for you stuff you need for your ride. Simplify and keep basics in tact
This is what I do a week before departure, yellow legal pad that I add and subtract from every day, amazing what you remember while doing other stuff around the house.

LBsuperJET

Well-Known Inmate #1155
Reaction score
Install brand new tires, bring a spare wheel and tire for rear and front, in addition to two spare hubs! 🤪😁

Jk gonna be a great trip don't forget to post pics

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
Softbag full of beer and a couple doobies and you're good to go 😆😆
Best Harley accessory I've bought! Nothing like an ice cold Coors Light with the fellas in the middle of nowhere. These coolers are so nice to have on a bike.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Have a Chase vehicle with a trailer in case you break down. Have riding gear for any and all occasions like rain gear warm clothing gloves. Make sure you wear your helmet! And don't be afraid to have a crotch rocket full face style helmet with a face shield. I rode my Harley for 9 days straight 3 days road trip sightseeing going to Sturgis rally. Road all the way up through up to Idaho falls, then across to Sturgis. 3 days touring all around to all the different sites around Sturgis. And then 3 days back coming down the other side around through Colorado through monsoon's and everything that mother nature can throw at us all the way up and all the way down. I probably wear my shirt that I bought that says in very big white letters on the back. "I RODE MINE"!!! And if you are lead dog rider for that section make sure that you know how to give very clear signals to the people behind you like potholes and things that are on the road plan your stops and no one left behind. I rode my Harley every inch of the way and I refuse to put it in the trailer even if I wasn't feeling well.

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
Well now I'm committed...

My BIL, nephew and friends are gonna leave SoCal, ride through Mammoth, cut across Tioga Pass (which I've been Dying to do on my Harley for years now), and spend a couple nights in Yosemite Valley.

And this is the First leg of the ride!!! 😱

So for all you guys that have done long distance rides...

Got any tips or pointers for me???

Thanks in advance. 👍🏼
Cycle Gear and purchase some Freeze Out under garment for under your riding pants and top. Get them to fit snug to keep the warmth in, loose is not good. Rain gear and tire repair plugs with co2 cartridges and some basic tools and zip ties.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Cycle Gear and purchase some Freeze Out under garment for under your riding pants and top. Get them to fit snug to keep the warmth in, loose is not good. Rain gear and tire repair plugs with co2 cartridges and some basic tools and zip ties.

Copy. I have a Co2 kit for my quads. It's small. I'll definitely bring that along.

Cold weather gear? Probably not. 😜

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
In 2004, I rode to Hollister from Las Vegas on a custom old school skinny tire bobber rigid. All I brought was a bottle of Jim Beam, a toothbrush, deodorant, a clean t-shirt, 1 pair of socks and 1pair underwear for a four day total trip.

So if I was gonna do more than 500 miles and more days than that trip, Id bring two bottles of Jim Beam. :D Ah to be young again.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Maybe you should watch the movie wild hogs w/ travolta and??? For insights and inspiration? 😆 🤣 😂

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
Did a few long rides in my Harley days. Ear plugs, you actually hear the tunes better without the wind noise. A couple different gloves styles for weather. I always carried a bottle of octane boost because you never know what's actually going in your gas tank. Flip flops for the end of the day.

westair

Reaction score
My wife and I rode to Sturgis a couple years ago …. I have an older Road King (2007) and all I did was new tires and the luggage box on the back!
She loved it, we were just bar hoppers before!!

USMC2010

Reaction score
I've test ridden the tour bikes, they are on another level. I'll go anywhere, any distance on this. This pic was a few months ago, 580+ miles one way, round trip in 3 days. Pack accordingly and again, don't overthink it. I've ridden a vrod, not the most comfortable, but completely capable of what you want to do.
1000003379.jpg

mobldj

Reaction score
as a holder of my iron butt and border to border ( canada to tj in 36 hours or less.i did it in 33) cert.saddle comfort is key.you dont want monkey butt.i had xm radio,real cruise control and ability to talk on my phone helped. definitely a cool experience and not doing it on a overgrown rototiller helped
fjr and cooks corner.jpg

Last edited:

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
If my 77 year old neighbor was home I'd ask her, she just left for Durango this morning. She got an award from Women in the Wind last year for 21,000 miles, missed it the prior year with only about 15,000 miles. I know she takes some rain gear and a phone, and she changes a lot of tires.;)
If she was younger I'd marry her, my kinda woman 😏

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Lotta good advice, lotta bad advice, and a lotta opinions (pretty standard when asking the peanut gallery😏)
As someone who has been doing this for about 30+yrs (I ride everyday and just got back from a bad ass 1600 mile ride mostly thru the Sierra Nevadas) here is my 2 cents,
Whatever bike I'm on I always set it up so I have something to lean back against. I've rode alot of bikes with windshields and fairings but I'd take something to lean back against over that any day and twice on Sunday 😏
You're gonna have a great fukkin time!

calkid

Reaction score
Jack the bike up and inspect everything, your tires may look good until you spin them 360. If riding an EVO wear the same pants everyday, your right leg will always have oil on it. If riding an M8 check (top off) your oils every morning. I always take my oldest underwear, socks and shirts and throw them out along the way. I usually buy new shirts during the trip. Sunblock and good chap stick. Extra dew wraps. Concentrate on the ride and having a good time.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Jack the bike up and inspect everything, your tires may look good until you spin them 360. If riding an EVO wear the same pants everyday, your right leg will always have oil on it. If riding an M8 check (top off) your oils every morning. I always take my oldest underwear, socks and shirts and throw them out along the way. I usually buy new shirts during the trip. Sunblock and good chap stick. Extra dew wraps. Concentrate on the ride and having a good time.

Close to 25k mi. Has Never leaked one drop.

For those that don't know...

The engine and trans on the V-Rod was designed and built by Porsche. It's the Only water cooled Harley, because of that fact.

The engine is smooth as silk and shifts like a dream. Zero vibration at any speed.

The 07 was the best year...

240 rear tire and 5gal gas tank from the factory. Harley went to drive by wire in 08 and killed all the power.

Mine has been Dyno tuned, with a power commander.

Penske shocks on the rear so it rides Real nice. Need to get the front forks done someday.

Sounds like @rmarion probably knows more than me?

😎

PlanB

Reaction score
My CVO Street Glide has water cooled heads, so there are some hybrids out there.

As far as long rides, I have a Softail and my SG and wind protection and a backrest are huge on long rides.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Close to 25k mi. Has Never leaked one drop.

For those that don't know...

The engine and trans on the V-Rod was designed and built by Porsche. It's the Only water cooled Harley, because of that fact.

The engine is smooth as silk and shifts like a dream. Zero vibration at any speed.

The 07 was the best year...

240 rear tire and 5gal gas tank from the factory. Harley went to drive by wire in 08 and killed all the power.

Mine has been Dyno tuned, with a power commander.

Penske shocks on the rear so it rides Real nice. Need to get the front forks done someday.

Sounds like @rmarion probably knows more than me?

😎
RM

Enjoy the TRIP!!!

I've shared the actual story from the designer of the V-Rod on RDP.

Non believers like to critique the info... no-sweat... I follow the Mark Twain quote....

let's do a small local ride on your return...

BTW.. the actual designer is in the Motorcycle Hall of Fame..