WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

LHC Area Mex Food - Lily's

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Got tired of looking for RD's previous post on this topic, so I started this. After hearing much about Lily's Mex in Parker, we tried it yesterday. We've had some previous good Mex food in Parker, Mi Tierra and the Orange Mex meat mkt deli. We were at Lily's about 1:30, they were still a bit busy from their noon time customers. Found the place clean, plenty of tables and efficient and friendly counter service. The food, we'd give an overall fair, 6 out of 10. The 4 of us got a variety of items from tamales, machaca and egg burrito, tacos, carne asada, chili verde and enchiladas. Unfortunately, they had no chili rellanos. Many of the customers appeared to be snowbirds, perhaps not familiar with the outstanding northern Baja Mex food we once knew in So Cal. Still haven't found an equal to the many various "berto's" fast foods, along the CA coast from Dana Pt to National City. Old Carlsbad had one of the best, on Elm St. not far from PCH. Encinitas and Solano Beach also had some great places. Amazing we can't find anything close to that here. RD has had some good comments on area Mex food. Although, we found Azul Agave on a par with Lily's.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Where is lily’s?
Behind the old Spanky's location, down the street from what was the old Basha's - now Food City, on Kofa St. Between the barber shop and Auto Zone. Good size place, brown building.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
People are going to have their opinions but if you grew up eating so cal mexican food (which a lot of it is excellent) you will find most places in Parker/Havasu to be 6-7 at best.

Nailed it. I have started rating them on their Cadillac Margaritas and Chips/Sala. El Paraiso gets the win, 2nd place is Bad Miguel's.

DLC

Reaction score
we just had homemade Tamales for dinner tonight!

wife has been playing around w/ tamale fillings! She also makes fantastic empanadas ( we get the wrappers at a Cuban market in San Diego ) chicken tacos are also Da Bomb!

so if you want great mexican food in Havasu you have to make it at home! All other places are just OK / good.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Last year we purchased tamales at Carniceria El Corral in LHC. They were good. But not as good as the Somis Mkt tamales when we lived in Camarillo. But, there's nothing like a true home made Mex tamale. My shipboard Mex-American friend and cook, from Oxnard, made some outstanding holiday tamales. He once told me, the only true tamale is a Pork Tamale. The others are OK, but something made up by you Gringos.

DLC

Reaction score
Just a heads up about tamales

Food City has great Masa

Reactions: TPC

NicPaus

Reaction score
The absolute best tamales are sold out of a cooler in the trunk of a car….

Little old nanas selling tameles for cash!
Honk honk honk! Tamales Champurado! Nothing like living in the hood with fresh Tamales being delivered by a shopping cart.

Neighbor next to one of our old properties we developed was a Tamale guy for years. I can hear him now Lol. He would sell 300 a day. On the holidays a lot more.

River Runnin

Captain Of Havasu’s Coolest Boat
Reaction score
Where is lily’s?
Do yourself a favor! -- Don't do it! .... Rice was cold, canned mexi beans were cold, NO table service, Everything was bland and served in those Styrofoam to go containers. Over priced for no flavor, and skip the tip when you pay up front!

On the plus side though! The place was clean, plenty of tables, and the changing menu on the order wall was impressive! (just wish they could have duplicated on a plate)

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Like a good haircut, it's best when the owner is in the shop. Applies to food joints as well.
Manage your expectations. Turnover in employees on the river is high - you're going to get hits and misses. "Hey,,,, it's the river."

1671550642849.jpeg
1671550667148.jpeg
1671550691960.jpeg

Boatcop mentioned Lilis years ago ("that yellow building on Kofa") and we've been steady customers since. Sweet as sugar owner named the place after her late daughters passing.
She isn't striving to be a 10, just good food at a good price. Clean location and appreciative. Prices everywhere have doubled.

We used to love Rupertos but it became a coin toss that we'd usually lose if the food was OK or not. Then our girls went in and roaches crawling the walls and floor,, that was that.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The absolute best tamales are sold out of a cooler in the trunk of a car….

Little old nanas selling tameles for cash!
Sweet corn Tamales, home made,, ummmmm.

Reactions: DLC

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Some may recall the great homemade tamales sold by the lady in the Safeway parking lot in Parker. I was told by a Parker resident, after almost 3 years, the lady has returned. We passed thru there on a Sunday, unfortunately she wasn't there. I've no idea what days she's typically there. It's worth a look though, if you're in that area.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
My buddy has a lady that parks outside of a church in Chula Vista on Sunday morning, sells the tamales to the church peeps!

and
they are good!

Tireman

Reaction score
What about sarape in parker? We love the birria tacos....have to stop if we are even close to meal time.

River Runnin

Captain Of Havasu’s Coolest Boat
Reaction score
What about sarape in parker? We love the birria tacos....have to stop if we are even close to meal time.
Think they're closed for the holidays -- But that's where we usually go. The albondigas soup is VERY good, fajitas usually, tamales are a pass, and add pico to the salsa! But all in all, not to bad.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Had it yesterday before headed outta town. Usual consistency for me.. always hits the spot. Mild salsa is pretty Damm good too🙂🙂