WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lets see those buggies

Dunerking

Reaction score
Went with my neighbor and picked up this Sand Sprite…should be fun for the post windy days. This is his 3rd car…should be interesting to see how he will get this car and his Buckshot and Extreme DTD. IMG_2899.jpeg IMG_1929.jpeg IMG_1935.jpeg

Steve-o

Reaction score
desert dynamics? or buggyworks?

looks good
DD/ buggy works chassis that 3D sandcars added to it and finished the car. I’m not sure where they were out of. Don’t think they’re in business anymore.

Backlash

Reaction score
Here is an old school Fiber-Tech/Mazzone mid-engine chassis I scooped up earlier this year. I've slowly been squirreling away parts and will continue stripping this chassis down to bare bones. The goal is to keep the original Mazzone look, but convert it to an A-arm car. I'm not "Set" on the VW powerplant and may go the Honda or Subaru route.... We'll see, but still undecided at this point.

This is how it looked when I picked it up from the seller. 🤣 We loaded the frame and trans into the bed of my truck, and off I went!

PXL_20230111_234919723~2.jpg

77charger

Reaction score
I wish I had more recent pictures of it, but it is still a work in progress after all of these years. Hopefully this year! 5.3L LS currently its going to grow up soon, Weddle HV25, now two seats, full length pan it's still a "VW".
I wouldn’t mind buying a pan and body then swapping all my buggy stuff to one of these. Might fit me better these days.

Blueduck

Reaction score

Attachments

• alumicraftside.jpg
    alumicraftside.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 60

manxman

Reaction score
how much? know someone looking for something like this....have a link to an ad?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
reviving this one, question for those of you with 4 seat cars, how "versatile" are they to different kinds of trails/terrain? As my family is growing, I need more seats. I've never been all that impressed with 4 seat sxs, especially the new ones that are in the $50k range where you can get a pretty well equipped dual sport car. My only concern is that my whole group is still in UTVs, and will spend time in Ocotillo Wells, Quartzite, Camp Verde, Williams etc and I'm not sure if I would be able to do everything they are doing with the additional width and length. The other option my wife and I have thrown around is to just get a second 2 seat utv to get the additional seats?

@River Dirt 2 seems like you use your car pretty similarly to how I would, I think that cell tower picture is in quartzsite off of Gold Nugget road?

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
reviving this one, question for those of you with 4 seat cars, how "versatile" are they to different kinds of trails/terrain? As my family is growing, I need more seats. I've never been all that impressed with 4 seat sxs, especially the new ones that are in the $50k range where you can get a pretty well equipped dual sport car. My only concern is that my whole group is still in UTVs, and will spend time in Ocotillo Wells, Quartzite, Camp Verde, Williams etc and I'm not sure if I would be able to do everything they are doing with the additional width and length. The other option my wife and I have thrown around is to just get a second 2 seat utv to get the additional seats?

@River Dirt 2 seems like you use your car pretty similarly to how I would, I think that cell tower picture is in quartzsite off of Gold Nugget road?
The tower pic is from Parker, top of the mountian that the Parker “P“ is on.
We primarily ride in Parker, the California side of the Parker strip, some in Havasu and out at Dove Springs. We have 6 Lothringer 4 seat cars in our group so all of us have similar capable cars. We had no SxS’s in our group until my son got the Speed 4 seater. I think it would probably come down to where you ride, I’ve pretty much never had an issue getting around where we ride, but it sounds like most of the trails in Havasu are not friendly to a big car. I have not found one yet but I guess they must be out there.

if I was to recommend a 4 seat family car in that budget range I would try to find a Alumi craft 4 seater with a v6 Or something similar. V8 cars get big and heavy and can be a chore to drive, which is why we have another speed car on order for my wife to drive, stab it and steer it!

maybe something like this https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR-SALE:Potter-Dual-Sport-Buggy-207025

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
My only concern is that my whole group is still in UTVs, and will spend time in Ocotillo Wells, Quartzite, Camp Verde, Williams etc and I'm not sure if I would be able to do everything they are doing with the additional width and length.
Get a well built 4 seat SxS on the aftermarket. SxS are way more versatile than a pre-runner. Shit the new ProR 4 seaters are basically the same size as a pre-runner. They are massive compared to say an XP4. I would prefer a SxS over my prerunner car (only 2 seater) everywhere except Glamis or on a long range trip down Baja (pipe dream). Even in Glamis, the only reason I bought a big car is that is what everyone in my group had and I was pushing the limits of safety trying to keep up with them in a non-turbo XP1k back in 2016. I had a ton of fun in the SxS driving with other SxS's, but the big car is on a whole nother level of fun in the sand..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Shit the new ProR 4 seaters are basically the same size as a pre-runner.
This is kind of my point, when a Pro-R 4 is the same size and same $ as a 4 seat dual sport car that has twice as many cylinders, coilover and bypass on each corner and 37" tires, why not just get the dual sport car?

evantwheeler

Reaction score
This is kind of my point, when a Pro-R 4 is the same size and same $ as a 4 seat dual sport car that has twice as many cylinders, coilover and bypass on each corner and 37" tires, why not just get the dual sport car?
It all depends on how you want to use it. IMO, the only downside to SxS's at this point in the game is the financial depreciation. The technology is ever changing so the "old" models depreciate pretty quick, and you get dimes for dollar returns on aftermarket add ons. On the flip side, the big V8 desert car industry is pretty stagnant, save for the very high end high dollar builds which are either flat out race cars or "show cars" for the sand scene. If you buy a big car, the only choice for a pre-runner is an Alumicraft. They hold their value very well.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The tower pic is from Parker, top of the mountian that the Parker “P“ is on.
We primarily ride in Parker, the California side of the Parker strip, some in Havasu and out at Dove Springs. We have 6 Lothringer 4 seat cars in our group so all of us have similar capable cars. We had no SxS’s in our group until my son got the Speed 4 seater. I think it would probably come down to where you ride, I’ve pretty much never had an issue getting around where we ride, but it sounds like most of the trails in Havasu are not friendly to a big car. I have not found one yet but I guess they must be out there.

if I was to recommend a 4 seat family car in that budget range I would try to find a Alumi craft 4 seater with a v6 Or something similar. V8 cars get big and heavy and can be a chore to drive, which is why we have another speed car on order for my wife to drive, stab it and steer it!

maybe something like this https://classifieds.race-dezert.com/FOR-SALE:Potter-Dual-Sport-Buggy-207025

I'd guess that a 4 seat speed car is almost as heavy as a V6 dual sport. I'd imagine that the V6 cars would give one a better chance of not helping to build @SeanRitchie a new vacation home?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm certainly not in a position to buy right now, just endlessly like to plan toy purchases in the future. The below are cars that have caught my eye that seem to be what I would consider.

Here's an interesting V6 that appears to be built like a brick shithouse. Just really expensive for "only" a V6

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I'm certainly not in a position to buy right now, just endlessly like to plan toy purchases in the future. The below are cars that have caught my eye that seem to be what I would consider.

Here's an interesting V6 that appears to be built like a brick shithouse. Just really expensive for "only" a V6

All those cars are 2x the cost of a well setup nice used 4 seater CanAm or Turbo S. Hell, a nice used low mile ProR is probably $20k cheaper than them all….

Had a young coworker that just had to have a big 4 seat car. Tried to give him some advice and direction, but he ended up spending almost $40k on an old BuggyWorks car with LS6 and 2d, and single shocks at each corner. Both the engine and trans ended up needing rebuilt before his 2nd trip. Poor bastard. We tried to help…..

Of all those cars you posted, I’d be interested in zero of them. For it to be a non name brand car from a niche builder that is no longer in business, i’d need to be below $30k personally, north of 60k is insane. That 4 seat Tatum pre-runner that RDP member 02 howard just sold was a really good deal for someone. I paid $50k for my 2 seat pre-runner car in 2017 and it came out of Florida. It had just ran the 2016 mint 400 in sportsman class. At the advice of people in my group, the only brand i was chasing was Alumicraft, and thats what i ended up with. Im glad they presssured me to stop looking at shiny cool looking no-name cars. I have over $100k in intial and ongoing upgrade costs to make it into really fun sand car, and i could likely get all my money back out of it due to the name and heritage.

I will say, i should probably add the Racer Engineering name into the mix for a pre-runner. Dale had a reputation as a slimebag, but the guy could definitely engineer and build a car. You dont see many cheap ones though.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I always jump at the chance to encourage anyone to add more power to their cars.
I must say, the abuse that the S4/5D units can handle is impressive! When you factor in the cost and hassle to keep limping along a 2d or even an S4 unit and rebuilding it every couple of years, its a no brainer to just buy once and cry once. My boss hammers his S4D in a ~3200lb car with 35.5 #2 cuts and a 4.0 whippled 440 built by Redline. He's been through it twice in 8 years and its just bearings that need replacing but has replaced 2nd & 3rd gears both times "just because". No issues at all with the R&P, which is baffling to me. The upgrades your team did to the shifting makes them great and the only choice IMO for the cost/value. I'm extremely happy I went big when it was time to upgrade (McDowell built S5D).

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
IMG_0271.jpg
20231121_163126.jpg
2005 Suspensions Unlimited
LS1 2D
The cars a bit of a beater cause I use it in the dirt as well but I'm planning on getting a new Can Am for the dirt and give this old girl a face-lift.

Steve-o

Reaction score
The black top/red body looks bad ass! What did you do to black out the shocks? (I'm looking to do the same with mine)
Thanks. I had them cerakoted. I used Brad from Breal in the Riverside area but he is mobile so it was nice to keep my car while the shocks went through the process. He installs some bars in place of the shocks so I could still move the car around.

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Thanks. I had them cerakoted. I used Brad from Breal in the Riverside area but he is mobile so it was nice to keep my car while the shocks went through the process. He installs some bars in place of the shocks so I could still move the car around.
Thanks, your buggy turned out bitchin!

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
This one is pretty decent. It’s a beam car but looks to be put together pretty well.