WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lets see those buggies

69hondo

Reaction score
Like the title says lets see them. Old, new, VW, corvair, LS, etc, beam to long arms.
Here is mine 06 Raw motorports. Agile, light fun ass car. Last pic is our buggy evolution. Lol started out with a JSC 1600 to teach my daughters how to drive a stick. Graduated to the toys for big boys and then the Raw.
20211124_113216.jpeg
20201230_165017.jpeg
20201225_115654.jpeg
20201009_174451.jpeg
20200222_175904.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Back in the day - 2004 Chassis build (not by me):

001.jpg

MDR#5_0001.jpg

010.jpg

014.JPG
007.jpg

Car was used as a pre-runner in a past life, and also raced the Mint400 sportsman class in 2016 I think it was. Now, like a thoroughbred put out to pasture, she lives a life of ease cruising around in the sand.

Current situation. Zero issues staying cool with the windshield on. Brakes are fantastic.

95669337-7V1A7158+CR2.JPG

Nick Rath Photo.jpg

Sand Drags.jpg

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Was going to post this in the Funco thread, but figured I shouldn't muddy it up with other chatter.

The sand Car market is kinda like the custom boat market, the big names are only making top shelf top dollar cars. The craftsmanship, fit, and finish is incredible, but so are the prices. I wish someone would make a bunch of simple 2 seat cars like this:

My dream car, which I realize is really close to what I own now, but this car is smaller and lighter which suits the dunes much better. I love driving my car, but its big & heavy. It is not nimble.

IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG

69hondo

Reaction score
Back in the day - 2004 Chassis build (not by me):

View attachment 1291087
View attachment 1291086

View attachment 1291081

View attachment 1291082 View attachment 1291080

Car was used as a pre-runner in a past life, and also raced the Mint400 sportsman class in 2015 I think it was. Now, like a thoroughbred put out to pasture, she lives a life of ease cruising around in the sand.

Current situation. Zero issues staying cool with the windshield on. Brakes are fantastic.

View attachment 1291079
View attachment 1291083
View attachment 1291084
That thing is pretty cool and looks like a blast to drive.
Was going to post this in the Funco thread, but figured I shouldn't muddy it up with other chatter.

The sand Car market is kinda like the custom boat market, the big names are only making top shelf top dollar cars. The craftsmanship, fit, and finish is incredible, but so are the prices. I wish someone would make a bunch of simple 2 seat cars like this:

My dream car, which I realize is really close to what I own now, but this car is smaller and lighter which suits the dunes much better. I love driving my car, but its big & heavy. It is not nimble.

View attachment 1291102 View attachment 1291103 View attachment 1291104 View attachment 1291105 View attachment 1291106 View attachment 1291107
LOL that is why I started this thread.

Icky

Reaction score
2006 Sand Cars Unlimited, Northstar V8 with a 2D - almost for sale 🤣 the night time picture was taken in Idaho, the Blue car. The orange one is my father in laws Extreme performance I built the toaster for in your other thread.
20220825_214002.jpg
20211123_073517.jpg

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Here's mine. 2010 Elite. Redline LS1 twin turbo, 675 HP to the wheels. S4 trans. Not many out there but they were built by Dario who was the main fabricator from Sand Cars Unlimited. He broke off in 2007 ish and started Elite and built maybe 14-15 of these cars before going under because he started at the worst time to start a sand car business. I've driven almost every brand out there and this is by far my favorite car. Still a work in progress. I've owned it for 4 years and keep doing upgrades every year. Last year we did a ton of body work and didn't have time to get it repainted so its just black powder coat for now. We will do a few more upgrades in the off season and then send it off to paint.
IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
Here's mine. 2010 Elite. Redline LS1 twin turbo, 675 HP to the wheels. S4 trans. Not many out there but they were built by Dario who was the main fabricator from Sand Cars Unlimited. He broke off in 2007 ish and started Elite and built maybe 14-15 of these cars before going under because he started at the worst time to start a sand car business. I've driven almost every brand out there and this is by far my favorite car. Still a work in progress. I've owned it for 4 years and keep doing upgrades every year. Last year we did a ton of body work and didn't have time to get it repainted so its just black powder coat for now. We will do a few more upgrades in the off season and then send it off to paint.
View attachment 1291417
View attachment 1291418
Where is Dario now?

Hammer

Reaction score
Great thread! We are ready for a new RZR. With the costs being 30-80k, it seems more sensible to get into a sand car, possibly a dual sport.

I love the dunes, but Mojave is an hour and a half from home. I have to take that into consideration when shopping. An LS TT sand car is what I really want.

@Melloyellovector gave me a ride in his old beater, I was ready to ditch all the dirt toys for one bad ass rail after that! Lol

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
Thats cool. We put that engine in the Toys for big boys car I had above. Its my cousins now. Those engines make those cars scoot.
I had a nice 2275 I built was reliable but damn parts were getting more costly and quality going down. I sold it for a loss but picked up this j35 ready to go adapter plate ecu and engine for cheap so it offset the vw.

First hit of throttle I said why the fuck didn’t I do this years ago lol. 1650 weight on car and close gears it gets it. But overall in dunes drives way easier leave in third gear pretty much and go.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Where is Dario now?
He has been working at Disneyland for a while now. He does fabricating and works on the rides. He still has a small shop and all the jigs for the elite cars. He came over to our shop when we bought it and went over the car with us. Still a really nice guy. He txts me everytime i post a car update on social media just to check in and see how we are liking the car and see what changes we are making

Bugginout

Reaction score
I had a nice 2275 I built was reliable but damn parts were getting more costly and quality going down. I sold it for a loss but picked up this j35 ready to go adapter plate ecu and engine for cheap so it offset the vw.

First hit of throttle I said why the fuck didn’t I do this years ago lol. 1650 weight on car and close gears it gets it. But overall in dunes drives way easier leave in third gear pretty much and go.
I'd like to do this to my car.

77charger

Reaction score
I'd like to do this to my car.
We’ll worth it. Like I said with the vw I built it from scratch I think at the time it would be 4500 in parts alone for turn key. That amount would buy a nice ecotec or j series ready to run. Yes there’s misc stuff like fuel system and cooling system but they ain’t that bad to buy.

The alm case I had for vw is 1200 today(I paid 500 new in 07),carbs 5-6 hundred crank rods pistons 8-900,heads another 6-800,plus the rest tk finish it etc when all done still underpowered.

Just make sure your running weddle internals in trans if 091 it will kill stock quickly.

Hammer

Reaction score
He has been working at Disneyland for a while now. He does fabricating and works on the rides. He still has a small shop and all the jigs for the elite cars. He came over to our shop when we bought it and went over the car with us. Still a really nice guy. He txts me everytime i post a car update on social media just to check in and see how we are liking the car and see what changes we are making
Will he build another car as a side job?

69hondo

Reaction score

Yeah I thought the same thing after we did it. LOL It had a 1914 in it and it was fun but in that car it barely would make it up olds. He was getting frustrated with it and found a great deal on the honda engine with everything. We just had to get it in the car. LOL What a difference but man the 002 didnt last long with it. He is having a 091 built for it now. We will see if it holds up.

69hondo

Reaction score
View attachment 1291417
View attachment 1291418
Did you add the Howe steering or was it already done?

Icky

Reaction score
Why selling?
We're having another baby in January, so I have 2 trips at best this season, Veterans and Presidents. Both of which I can bum a ride for or hangout and watch my son ride at camp.
I figured I could just buy another one next season depending what's out there.

If I keep it, I'm doing a hood, dash, windshield, redoing the upper cage etc. If I do all that I'll want to add bypasses, which means reworking the suspension as well.
My time is limited already with work, I don't need to add anymore major projects then I already have. And paying someone to rework it would be expensive.
I think it's easier to sell and start with something closer to what I want.

69hondo

Reaction score
We're having another baby in January, so I have 2 trips at best this season, Veterans and Presidents. Both of which I can bum a ride for or hangout and watch my son ride at camp.
I figured I could just buy another one next season depending what's out there.

If I keep it, I'm doing a hood, dash, windshield, redoing the upper cage etc. If I do all that I'll want to add bypasses, which means reworking the suspension as well.
My time is limited already with work, I don't need to add anymore major projects then I already have. And paying someone to rework it would be expensive.
I think it's easier to sell and start with something closer to what I want.
Yeah that makes total sense. I am sure you know the windshield is great but takes a lot of the sense of how fast you are going away. LOL took me a minute to get use to it.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Great thread! We are ready for a new RZR. With the costs being 30-80k, it seems more sensible to get into a sand car, possibly a dual sport.

I love the dunes, but Mojave is an hour and a half from home. I have to take that into consideration when shopping. An LS TT sand car is what I really want.

@Melloyellovector gave me a ride in his old beater, I was ready to ditch all the dirt toys for one bad ass rail after that! Lol
My advice is to match toys with the group you ride with. I chased sandcars in a SxS for two years and went to a sandcar. If I didn't have friends with sand cars or buggies, I would still be driving a SxS 100%.

Last edited:

RaceTec

Reaction score
I wish I had more recent pictures of it, but it is still a work in progress after all of these years. Hopefully this year! 5.3L LS currently its going to grow up soon, Weddle HV25, now two seats, full length pan it's still a "VW".

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_213633.jpg
    IMG_20211213_213633.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20210608_192619.jpg
    IMG_20210608_192619.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 74

Hammer

Reaction score
My advice is to match toys with the group you ride with. I chased sandcars in a SxS for two years and went to a sandcar. If I didn't have friends with sand cars or buggies, I would still be driving a SxS 100%.
I agree with you, however, my group is starting to run thin..... When we do go out to the desert, we adults just hang out and let the kids ride around camp.... The SXS is boring to me... I'm sure a new turbo SXS would change that. My thought is dirt bikes/quads for the desert and a rail for the dunes. But only having a dune car seems like a waste for us, I'd like to think if I had a sandcar I'd go out of my way to go to Glamis more often...

I don't NEED anything right now. But we need to upgrade sooner rather than later...

69hondo

Reaction score
I agree with you, however, my group is starting to run thin..... When we do go out to the desert, we adults just hang out and let the kids ride around camp.... The SXS is boring to me... I'm sure a new turbo SXS would change that. My thought is dirt bikes/quads for the desert and a rail for the dunes. But only having a dune car seems like a waste for us, I'd like to think if I had a sandcar I'd go out of my way to go to Glamis more often...

I don't NEED anything right now. But we need to upgrade sooner rather than later...
Finish the trx250r🤣😆🤣

Cooter01

Reaction score
Keep the pics coming! Would love to have a two seater with a Subaru setup