WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Launch Ramp Refunds

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Do you think that launch ramps should offer refunds if you can't use their facility? For instance, if you have a "mechanical failure" and don't get your boat off of the trailer? (Batteries are dead)

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Nope, not their fault your boat doesn't work. If they have to close the ramp for some reason then they should refund.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Patyacht

Reaction score
Nope. Check your stuff before you leave the house. Not their problem.

charlyox

Reaction score
I do. Typically most launch sites that I have used have a sign that says "no refunds".I think it is B.S.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
ya what others have said , ???????????? maybe a rain check ?;)

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
The Marina here in Havasu will refund your launch fee if you don't get off the ramp.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Do you think that launch ramps should offer refunds if you can't use their facility? For instance, if you have a "mechanical failure" and don't get your boat off of the trailer? (Batteries are dead)
No, you still used the ramp, backed down it, took up a space that someone else could have been using. If your shit doesn't work that isn't their problem. If they do happen to offer a refund i'd say that's awfully generous of them, but they have no obligation to do so.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Nope. Check your stuff before you leave the house. Not their problem.

x2! Not their fault.

I broke down in Elsinore once. I launched at the City Ramp but was over by the Riverside Dr Ramp. I got towed in to the Riverside Dr Ramp and someone gave me a boat ride back to my truck. Nice guy in a bad ass 30 Daytona BTW. When I came up the pay booth (prepared to pay) the guy looked at me kinda weird (trailer with no boat). I told him what happened and he didn't charge me. :thumbsup

Another time I went to Puddingstone to dock the boat while I worked on the trailer (new bunks). I called ahead of time to ask if I was allowed to work on my trailer in my parking lot and the guy on the phone said, "yes and be sure to tell the guy at the booth so you don't get charged to launch". Pretty cool of them.

However if my boat wouldn't start on the ramp after I already paid, I wouldn't go ask for my money back. That's chicken shit IMO. lol

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
They usually let you in free if you tell them you're just trying a different prop :thumbsup

Just Ducky

Reaction score
No refund cuz you didn't have your shit together.I always start the boat at home and check everything out before a trip.Caught a fuel leak at my fuel pressure regulator once and hate to think of what coulda happened if I hadn't done a pre-flight.:D

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
No refund cuz you didn't have your shit together.I always start the boat at home and check everything out before a trip.Caught a fuel leak at my fuel pressure regulator once and hate to think of what coulda happened if I hadn't done a pre-flight.:D
pre-flight every time myself, hook it to the hose and run it up to temp, while checking for Anything and Everything.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Should they be obligated, NO. Is it nice when they work with you, Hell Yeah.

Done that twice at Elsinore breaking in and tuning the engine. Guy told me as long as I don't unhook the boat he wont charge:thumbsup

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I had started my boat at home today and run it for a couple minutes, got to the launch ramp and dead batteries. We asked and they said no refund, interesting discussion with my wife on the way home.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I don't think it would be wise for them to create such a policy, and I think it is unreasonable to expect them to do so.
I also don't think it would be bad PR for a operator to do so...but, since 99% of the time you are not going to find someone running the place with the juice to do so, it ain't likely, and I would never expect it.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Last Sunday morning there was a guy blocking two lanes on the ramp - cuz he couldn't get it straight I guess, boat on trailer, truck running with windows up. He should have paid double - he was waiting for a tow truck to come unlock his truck. What a shit show!

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Last Sunday morning there was a guy blocking two lanes on the ramp - cuz he couldn't get it straight I guess, boat on trailer, truck running with windows up. He should have paid double - he was waiting for a tow truck to come unlock his truck. What a shit show!
Poor Dave :p

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Normally I would agree with all the nope's above, But now I have a different view of fairness with this question.

Since CA now requires quagga mussel inspections at most launch ramps and the toughness of passing the inspections for water coming/leaking out of your stern drive when asked/required to lower the drive down for water inspection makes checking your "Stuff" much more difficult now due to being afraid of starting the engine at home like most experienced boaters would be accustomed to doing. So intrade you now have the fear of water leaking out of the boat during inspection could equal more problems at the ramp.

Unfortunately now starting your engines or even just washing your boat before heading out may result in being quarantined from using the lake for seven days i believe the time frame is due to any signs of water that may be inside or coming out from any part of the boat.

Sure there are otherways of making sure your batteries are up to par but it's just not the same by not running the engine to help ensure everything else is in good working order.

Maybe a refund for not using the boat is fair. Take lake perris for example, They charge $10.00 for day use, any car or truck, then they charge you $8.00 more to use the boat on the lake. Since you technically didn't get to go out on the lake it would at least seem fair to get your $8.00 back.

But on the other hand getting a refund does not help support the money needed to help the state of california keep the lake open for your future use.;):)

Faceaz

Reaction score
Nope....

The first thing that would happen, people would use the lake, then claim they never had the boat in the water. Or, after finding boat problems people would hang out @ the beach instead & ask for money back. Basically it would become an avenue for the riff-raff to try & get out of paying. To curb the decreased revenue by people skirting the system, Parks & Rec. would need to hire additional Rangers to police / validate peoples claims. Who pays for it? You do, now the regular entry fee of 8 bucks becomes 12, everybody else is now paying for your dead batteries. Look past your shitty incident / claim & see how buracracy would handle it.

rvrrat350

Reaction score
bout 7 years ago i took the boat to castaic and had starter problems ( It started and ran fine on the hose the afternoon before)
anyways the starter wasn't catchin the fly wheel and the lifeguard guy at the ramp offered me a refund and called it in to the front and they gave me a voucher for another day:thumbsup

cave

Reaction score

Most if not all lakes here in AZ are run by the US Forestry. Annual passes are sold for some chains of lakes. I have a Tonto Pass. Its a day pass for my truck and boat. It also works at any of the Tonto governed lakes and parks. We boat all year long here. its easy to rack up 20 trips a year. At 10 bux a visit, its just cost effective to do the annual pass.

I've had times like this were my batteries loss voltage over night. Its freaking hot here at times. Got to the lake. Click Click Click. Always had someone offer a jump. I take it and if the engine would start after a 19 minutes of idling. Its on.

Kleptow

Reaction score
Yes. It's called a voltage gauge! Most boats have them.:D

If you rely on a voltage gauge to tell if your boat going to start you will some day find your self in the same situation the thread starter.

try one of these it will tell you if you have enough cranking power to start your boat before you ever try to fire it up, it also will confirm that the alternator is working or not. (http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt-12-volt-battery-load-tester-90636.html)

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
If you rely on a voltage gauge to tell if your boat going to start you will some day find your self in the same situation the thread starter.

try one of these it will tell you if you have enough cranking power to start your boat before you ever try to fire it up, it also will confirm that the alternator is working or not. (http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt-12-volt-battery-load-tester-90636.html)

I'd trust my gauge before I trusted anything from Harbor Freight. :D