WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kitchen cabinet styles

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
How come you guys still build cabinets with face frames? I've pulled out lots of face framed upper cabinets and replaced them with european style cabinets. I don't see the advantage, other than style. Am I missing something?

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
How come you guys still build cabinets with face frames? I've pulled out lots of face framed upper cabinets and replaced them with european style cabinets. I don't see the advantage, other than style. Am I missing something?
Europeans suck

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
I think face frame is just the norm and how most people here know how to build already. Maybe easier because you don't have to be as precise also?

Euro is the only way to go though once you know how to build, much faster, build boxes and go.

relaxalot

Reaction score
We build both styles. I prefer to build frameless. It is just what style you prefer. I think the entire industry is shifting to frameless. After another 50 years or so maybe the U.S. will start using the metric system!

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Do you build frameless cabinets with lock miter joints, dado-lock, or dadoes?

I find lock miter joints a bit tricky at times.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Do you build frameless cabinets with lock miter joints, dado-lock, or dadoes?

I find lock miter joints a bit tricky at times.
Go with the....dovetail Tom

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We had ours custom built. Wasnt much more than Home Depot wanted. And they look about a million times better.

No frames.

Warlock1

Reaction score
For us rednecks how about some pictures of both. I think I understand but I want to be sure. God forbid I say something on the internet and it's wrong and then I am "that" guy:D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
frameframeless2.26115832.jpg

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
All the garage cabinets we build are frameless and 95% of the interior kitchen and bath stuff has frames. what ever the client wants we will build. Ive been in some larger production shops that are all setup in metric for blowing euro style stuff out and its pretty impressive how efficient they are, we are old school LOL. My personal preference is cabinets with beaded face frames and inset doors, a cut above in my opinion, also looks really cool to do the drawer boxes dove tail and use a walnut piece on the front of the box, granted you only get a glimpse of the joinery when you open the drawer but its all just trick little shit if you have the money to burn:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Then ours are the frame style then. But, the frame does not protrude into the cabnet opening.

The framless ones (you posted) look like the crap the sell at Ikea, the Harbor Freight of the furinture world! :D

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
I prefer face frame. It may be the furniture maker in me. I hate tape.

Tank

Reaction score
I always thought framed was more for kitchen / bathroom and frameless was storage - garage. I don't think I've ever seen frameless used in home. We are on the middle of re-doing both our bathrooms and did our kitchen about 6 years ago. All have frames. Framed just has a more finished look.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Then ours are the frame style then. But, the frame does not protrude into the cabnet opening.

The framless ones (you posted) look like the crap the sell at Ikea, the Harbor Freight of the furinture world! :D
Hey Dylan...........If Ikea makes the "Harbor Freight" of cabinets then why did you tell me they were making really good stuff these days:headscratch:

Iman

Reaction score
My cabinets got installed yesterday. Originally I wanted traditional framed but my builder talked me into European. I'm glad he did.
3u6a2y6y.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
My cabinets got installed yesterday. Originally I wanted traditional framed but my builder talked me into European. I'm glad he did.
3u6a2y6y.jpg

Your kitchen looks fucking awesome man. Congrats. Cabinets look great. So those are frameless?

Iman

Reaction score
Thanks and yes all frameless. Also went with 14.5in deep uppers. That extra 2.5in will really make your wife happy.
neryrugu.jpg

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Hey Dylan...........If Ikea makes the "Harbor Freight" of cabinets then why did you tell me they were making really good stuff these days:headscratch:

Ikea makes decent enough cabinets. They are as decent as any pressed board cabinet can be.

I'm surprised how many brand new homes around here are sold with Ikea cabinets, these days. At first, it grossed me out but there's nothing much wrong with them.

The only step up, IMO, is custom built cabinets with plywood carcasses.

Oh yeah, "bright white" or "ultra white" or "gloss white" is the new fashion, around here. We're just starting to see it but I'd say 75% of the kitchens I see when I watch European architecture shows are ultra white. That style is just hitting our shores now.