WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just gave my 2 weeks' notice at work...

wayniac

Reaction score
A lot of mixed emotions, but happy to be going out on my own terms... I have been with the same company for 17 years and just sent in my resignation letter with a 2-week notice. Curious how this is going to play out. Made me think how fortunate i am to be leaving with a plan rather than them showing me the door. I am sure my immediate boss will understand but curious if our director will flip out and terminate my employment immediately... anyone have any crazy stories about quitting?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I’ve heard of an immediate cone of silence following submitting a two week notice. You’re basically cut out of the company then and there, everything you were working on immediately shifts to someone else and people are told not to talk to you and all your incoming calls are routed to others. Sometimes your work stuff like a PC or laptop is immediately confiscated and wiped. You spend your two weeks feeling like a leper.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Calpers gubment employee here. I had a Monday and Tuesday scheduled off. I was planning on retiring within a few months. Went to Calpers office in Sac. They said it wouldn’t be much more pay if I waited a few months.
Needless to say I didn’t go back to work that Wednesday. 😁

wayniac

Reaction score
I’ve heard of an immediate cone of silence following submitting a two week notice. You’re basically cut out of the company then and there, everything you were working on immediately shifts to someone else and people are told not to talk to you and all your incoming calls are routed to others. Sometimes your work stuff like a PC or laptop is immediately confiscated and wiped. You spend your two weeks feeling like a leper.
i would sign up for this option.. spent the last 2 days removing personal info and pictures...

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I walked away from a lucrative Service Managers position at a BWM/Nissan store in 1985 (on my terms) after a career in industry Automobile and never looked back . Self made and self employed 39 years and counting EDIT : 12:30 I gave 2 weeks notice The Owner came to my office after about a week and said "this is a salary grind right" I simply said NO I dont want to work here anymore .................

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Congrats!!!! So what is the plan that you have ahead for you?

DWC

Reaction score
Congrats and good luck on your future endeavors. My last 2 companies let you work the final 2 weeks unless you’re going to a competitor.
When I quit to come to my current place I gave my 2 weeks figuring they’d walk me out immediately. I had been packing stuff up for a couple months and had a tee time planned with a vendor friend. I gave my noticed and my VP wanted to talk me out of it. He put me on ice for 4 hours. SOB😂. Never got to play golf.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Retirement or career change?
Congrats either way!

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I brought donuts into the office the day I resigned. Market President told me to sit in my office and let me know after lunch if I really wanted to leave. He had the executives of the bank call me all morning trying to get me to stay from CEO to CCO. It’s good to be wanted. I walked into his office after lunch and let him know I was ready to leave. We still talk often and refer back and forth.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A lot of mixed emotions, but happy to be going out on my own terms... I have been with the same company for 17 years and just sent in my resignation letter with a 2-week notice. Curious how this is going to play out. Made me think how fortunate i am to be leaving with a plan rather than them showing me the door. I am sure my immediate boss will understand but curious if our director will flip out and terminate my employment immediately... anyone have any crazy stories about quitting?
Congrats! I put in my 2-week notice this past November at the company that my dad once owned and was their 2nd employee. The new ownership could not get out of their own way. My dad's longtime partner basically decided he didnt need to work anymore but wouldn't let us hire the help we needed. After over a year of this along with an absolutely cunt waffle of an office manager (I do NOT use that name unless it is truly earned), I gave me 2 week notice. Initially they accepted it, but then 2 days later I get the call to come into the office (I was at a client's site surveying a job site for a proposal for my boss to put together for them since he was taking over for me). Today was to be my last day (they didnt even want to meeting onsite to go over the big proposal I was in the middle of putting together for our biggest client). Turns out that was November 31st. If I worked the following day they would have to pay my health insurance for the month. They cut me early, took the little bit of vacation time I had saved up to "make-up for missed time" even though I was a salaried employee, and had our warehouse guy drive me home.

Something I always knew, but didn't believe it was 100% the case, NEVER trust employer to have your back. Get EVERYTHING in writing. I knew my dad's long time partner my entire life. He had begged me for years to come back to work for them so I never thought I would have to follow that advise so I didn't and it bit me in the ass several times over.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've never given notice. Just packed up my shit and left.

Does anyone give a two week notice, when the terminate you?

Good luck whatever you do! 💯

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score

I’ll give two weeks so they pay me out an extra two weeks. I’m in sales so I know they will cut me early but still pay me out to my given date. It’s not just a courtesy, it’s also a strategy.

outboard_256

Reaction score
Probably depends on line of work. On many tech places they cut you as soon as you tell them. The last 2 weeks you are basically a liability and probably won't' get much work done anyways.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I've given 2 weeks notice to my current company twice, left in 2006 and 2018 a second time. First time I was shown the door about 2 hours later. Second time they kept me for the 2 weeks. Next time I give notice, hopefuly will be for retirement in 5 years. Only time will tell.
One thing I did know was not to burn any bridges!!!

Last edited:

evantwheeler

Reaction score
anyone have any crazy stories about quitting?
Congrats on making a move on your terms. Feels good to be the one in control of a situation (or to at least feel like you're in control!).

My boss at my current job had tried to get me to work for him since 2014. He reached out to me in 2019 pretty desperately in need for someone and there probably wasn't a better person for the job due to my relationship with him, knowledge of his company and the work. The problem was I was 2 weeks into a 4 week escrow buying my house. After consulting with @Tamalewagon who was doing my financing, I closed on a Friday, and went and submitted my 2 week resignation to my previous employer on the following Monday. Moved into my new home for a couple weeks and hit the road for 11 months straight working out of town while my new house sat vacant and empty.

Last edited:

Romans9

Reaction score
Nobody is your friend, pal, buddy, bro, etc. when your way of making a living is involved.

If you expect anything other than what you have in writing and can be enforced by a court you are going to most likely get a rude awakening.

I’ve been self employed so long I can barely remember quitting a job but when I did I always told them I would work with them anyway they needed but I wanted to leave ASAP. Usually could get things wrapped up in a few days.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I’ll give two weeks so they pay me out an extra two weeks. I’m in sales so I know they will cut me early but still pay me out to my given date. It’s not just a courtesy, it’s also a strategy.
Huh. So if you gave say an 8 week notice, do they legally have to pay you the 8 weeks if they terminate you immediately (talking CA only).

wayniac

Reaction score
Congrats!!!! So what is the plan that you have ahead for you?

thanks. already accepted an offer from another company.. different industry.

or career change?
Congrats either way!

same type of work, but an industry change. Also a company that cant hire outside the US.

Congrats! I put in my 2-week notice this past November at the company that my dad once owned and was their 2nd employee. The new ownership could not get out of their own way. My dad's longtime partner basically decided he didnt need to work anymore but wouldn't let us hire the help we needed. After over a year of this along with an absolutely cunt waffle of an office manager (I do NOT use that name unless it is truly earned), I gave me 2 week notice. Initially they accepted it, but then 2 days later I get the call to come into the office (I was at a client's site surveying a job site for a proposal for my boss to put together for them since he was taking over for me). Today was to be my last day (they didnt even want to meeting onsite to go over the big proposal I was in the middle of putting together for our biggest client). Turns out that was November 31st. If I worked the following day they would have to pay my health insurance for the month. They cut me early, took the little bit of vacation time I had saved up to "make-up for missed time" even though I was a salaried employee, and had our warehouse guy drive me home.

Something I always knew, but didn't believe it was 100% the case, NEVER trust employer to have your back. Get EVERYTHING in writing. I knew my dad's long time partner my entire life. He had begged me for years to come back to work for them so I never thought I would have to follow that advise so I didn't and it bit me in the ass several times over.

similar plan with my last day July 1st... if i was being honest with myself. it seemed the company was really focused on moving my position overseas.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

Right?
I’ve been working since I was 15. Only a handful of different jobs but I don’t think I’ve ever given two weeks notice.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I have given my two weeks notice every time I have left....if they choose to let me go immediately, I get a free paid two week vacation...if they keep me going, I put in about a 10-15% effort those two weeks and go on my way....

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Huh. So if you gave say an 8 week notice, do they legally have to pay you the 8 weeks if they terminate you immediately (talking CA only).

Terminating immediately and paying out are two separate things. Technically they could terminate me immediately when I put in my two weeks and not pay me those two weeks. I could technically quit that same day as well. As a courtesy in a small industry where you don’t wanna burn bridges either way, it’s just the way it’s happened in my career.

I’m sure if I gave eight weeks notice, they would deem those eight weeks as lame duck and just get rid of me. I’ve never tested going longer as I’m not sure another bank would hold an offer open that long.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
I was recruited from a very large company with 100 Million plus in sales to a much smaller company. Great salary, car, phone, ect - I couldn't say no.

After about 6 months I started to feel used for my old customer base and after 9 month even though I more than doubled my sales goals I knew it was coming. It was the start od December so I took about two weeks letting all my customers know my new, personal, cell number and the day before Christmas I was handed my bonus and handed in my two week notice.

The owner didn't even react, wished me well, and left - like went home. I returned to my office to pack up and the company lawyer was in my office waiting with my two week severance check. No way he was called in time.... with or without my two week notice I was gone.

To this day I don't know if I quit or was fired.... but during all future applications I put resigned.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Right?
I’ve been working since I was 15. Only a handful of different jobs but I don’t think I’ve ever given two weeks notice.
Depends how small your world is I suppose.....Everyone knows everyone in the automotive aftermarket (replacement, not performance) parts business....Which is where I intended to stay. I gave 2 weeks notice after 18 years, and I think I ended up staying 3 or 4 weeks because a few others had decided to walk, and they weren't really missed because they were pretty useless anyway. 4 years later I still get calls from customers for support lol.

There are plenty of assholes with whom I have no issues burning bridges, and have, but there are others where I'd rather not.

Different fields are different. I can name 100 people in high positions at major companies in the aftermarket that I communicate with on a regular basis, When i was a dealer tech I could not name a tech or shop forman or service manager outside of our facility....some positions are a dime a dozen, others are not

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I did a 2 week notice in 2022 to go a full time remote job (current employment) they begged me to stay on for 2-4 more months. I said nope I can’t do it. A week went by and they came up with an arrangement that I could do a 1099 thing with them and work my own hours with no direction. I did that for 4 months at my existing rate. Fast forward to a year later they called me again to do the same thing. I did it again at 1.5x my old rate. Did that for another 4 months lol.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Reasonable is two weeks. 8 weeks is just crazy. After being on the executive side of a large corporation it was implied that if the employees resignation was two weeks and you let them go immediately that we would pay them out for their two weeks.

It’s a fraction of the cost of litigation.

8 weeks you could see the value in fighting it in court if they lawyered up.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
NEVER burn a bridge. Client hired an employee of ours, lost a mediocre employee but kept the client.
I was also an independent contractor for a large group, raised my rates and was given the choice of reducing them or have contract terminated. I chose the latter, took a year to get out of there.

wayniac

Reaction score
Right?
I’ve been working since I was 15. Only a handful of different jobs but I don’t think I’ve ever given two weeks notice
this is only the second time.. when i was 19 i asked for time off to go to the river.. it was denied and i said. ok then.. id like to give my 2 weeks notice...

I have given my two weeks notice every time I have left....if they choose to let me go immediately, I get a free paid two week vacation...if they keep me going, I put in about a 10-15% effort those two weeks and go on my way....

yes.. expect a lot of rdp engagement at least the next few weeks...

I did a 2 week notice in 2022 to go a full time remote job (current employment) they begged me to stay on for 2-4 more months. I said nope I can’t do it. A week went by and they came up with an arrangement that I could do a 1099 thing with them and work my own hours with no direction. I did that for 4 months at my existing rate. Fast forward to a year later they called me again to do the same thing. I did it again at 1.5x my old rate. Did that for another 4 months lol.

I expect them to offer me something similar to this... truth is, im over the long hours...
not sure how much i would even be willing to do.

Ol Man

Reaction score
I am 79 now and gave my two weeks notice in 2006. It was an interesting two weeks. I retired at 61. I was an engineer at Northrop Grumman (was a Litton division). It was fun having guys coming up and asking me questions about how I could afford to retire (remember engineers alway overthink things). We always did everything-. Had motorhome, boat, motorcycles and always took great vacations. But we aways put a bit away with early retirement in mind. It can be done. I vividly remember the 2008-09 collapse. We lost 40% of our net worth. Took a long time to recover, but guess what......we are doing just fine.

Enjoy your retirement.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
congrats for going out on your own terms. If they get mad just remember this. If you died they would have your replacement within two weeks. Don’t look back and on to greater things.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
Change is good. Congratulations!

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
In 2018 I gave 3 months notice. Was hired to manage a hospital replacement project in Camarillo (as well as other health care projects in Ventura County) by a small consulting CM firm owned by 3 Mormon Brothers out of Utah. These guys were straight as the day is long. Their word was their bond and they delivered everything as promised and more. Their ethics, character and morals were beyond reproach. Truly liked and respected them.

They essentially hired me away from an employer I had been with for over 17 years. They had a ton of work but the hours and commute eventually got to me. Lasted almost 2 years. They were so decent to me I felt an obligation to them.

My previous employer took me back immediately. It was a big company and I was a good fit with them so it worked out.

Now here I sit at 5 AM, just leaving for work, less than 12 months or so away from (at least potentially) retiring.

Time goes by quick.

Last edited:

RCDave2

Reaction score
I decided to quit in early July 2023. Had a great relationship with my boss. He asked me to stay for 6 months. I ended up staying for 4. Great exit from an employer

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I decided to quit in early July 2023. Had a great relationship with my boss. He asked me to stay for 6 months. I ended up staying for 4. Great exit from an employer
There are 2 kinds of employees….those who work there and those who take ownership. The second kind are the ones that want to do whatever they can to support the company, the first kind are just there for a paycheck…the higher ups know this and will walk you right out the door. The second kind will generally be around to help transition the new guy or sort out future delegation of workload.

I disagree that all HR depts and bosses are only in it for themselves…the guy I spent 15 years working for was awesome. He could call me at any hour of any day and I’d be where he needed me to be, work related or not….he held mortgages for a few guys who couldn’t qualify with a real bank. His stuff was pur stuff if we treated it right….need the super C F750 fun mover for the weekend?….here’s the credit card, bring it back full of fuel, tanks dumped, and call the detail guy when you get back. Didn’t make much money there, but had what I needed and had respect, and a lifeline if shit came up. I try to do the same, but haven’t found an employee yet that’s worth treating that way

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
I resigned twice in the heavy equipment industry and gave then 2 weeks. Neither took it as they knew I was going to a bigger competitor. I expected that and understood

Good Stuff

Reaction score
Longest notice I gave was when I was in biomedical manufacturing and I gave a 3&1/2 week notice. It was a smaller company and I wanted to make sure they had time to replace me and there was a top client audit/visit coming in and I didn’t want to leave them stranded. Audit finished early and they told me I was welcome back any time and sent me out a few days early and paid through the end of my notice.

I’ve also given 2 week notice and had my phone and email shutoff and termination papers drawn up during the 15 minute meeting telling my manager. Then she said well is there anything we can do to keep you? I said sorry not after that reaction. 😂😂

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
I retired at the end of March, and gave notice to my boss right after the Holidays in January! When I told him another one of the guys had gave his 2 weeks notice just before Christmas, so he basically gave a couple of days notice with the holidays.
I asked him to keep it quiet because I know how Big Corporations work, he assured me that kind of decision would be his and not to worry about it, 3 months notice and I worked until the last day and he kept his word. Last informal exit interview was with a regional president, anytime under and conditions you want to come back, we will make it work.

BabyRay

Reaction score
When I retired in 2013, I gave a year’s notice (I was 59, so they might not have expected it yet). The U.S. division president was a good friend who I’d known for many years before either of us ended up at that company, so it was just one of those things that seemed natural to discuss over cigars and scotch.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna say...

Giving notice of retirement, and giving notice of moving to a different job...

Are Completely different things. 😜

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
congrats for going out on your own terms. If they get mad just remember this. If you died they would have your replacement within two weeks. Don’t look back and on to greater things.
Replacement would be hired before your obituary was in the newspaper.