WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jeep wrangler unlimited

69hondo

Reaction score
Lear me on Jeeps.
It seems to be a rabbit hole I could go down LOL Wife has always wanted one and now with the diesel pusher I would like to get one to flat tow.
I know the later engine model 3.6 is supposed to be better than the 3.8. Is this true?
What are the main differences between the sport & Rubicon.
Wont be hardcore wheeling but will see the occasional trails/snow/mud but not rock crawling.
Do you think one could pull my fatass Fundeck out of the water. not to tow for long distance but if need be launch?

Anyways thank in advance for any input.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
The 3.6 Pentastar since 2011 is pretty bullet proof. I have a 2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon with the 2.0T. Had a 2018 JK Rubcion as well with the 3.6. No engine issues with either. I like the 2.0 better, but it also worries me a little more.

Rubicons have 33” tires stock, a small lift, 4.10 gear and 4:1 transfer case. Also front and rear axle lockers and sway bar disconnect. You can’t really get any of that on a Sport unless someone added it aftermarket.

2Driver

Reaction score
You want a JKU 4-door or JK 2-Door 2015-2017.

For light to moderate wheeling all you need is a sport. You should be able to save 5-6k over a Rubicon. There are other minor differences but front a rear lockers are the big gain for the Rubicon. If you know how to off road you can go most places you’ll want to go,

Use Auto trader search feature to find a low mileage jeep of that year. I drove to TX in April to get my 2017 with only 16K miles on it. Just look at the front bumper for flat tow set ups to be sure they weren’t flat towed as you never know the true running gear mileage.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score

For light to moderate wheeling all you need is a sport. You should be able to save 5-6k over a Rubicon. There are other minor differences but front a rear lockers are the big gain for the Rubicon. If you know how to off road you can go most places you’ll want to go,

Use Auto trader search feature to find a low mileage jeep of that year. I drove to TX in April to get my 2017 with only 16K miles on it. Just look at the front bumper for flat tow set ups to be sure they weren’t flat towed as you never know the true running gear mileage.
Unless something has changed, the mileage does not rack up when flat towing. I've tested it and my mileage did not change one bit.

I'd be more careful of the people that say, has 200K miles, but 100K is flat towing, thats a lie.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat! can all wranglers be flat towed? or are there certain models where the transfer case can't be put into neutral (kinda like some grand cherokees?)

also are they all 4x4? or some 2wd?

2Driver

Reaction score
Unless something has changed, the mileage does not rack up when flat towing. I've tested it and my mileage did not change one bit.

I'd be more careful of the people that say, has 200K miles, but 100K is flat towing, thats a lie.

Correct, that is what I was saying. You could have a flat towed jeep with 120,000 miles on the running gear but the odometer shows only 5,000 miles.
When I was shopping super low mile 2017‘s they usually had the RV towing set up on the front bumper. When they did I passed on them.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score
The 3.6 Pentastar since 2011 is pretty bullet proof. I have a 2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon with the 2.0T. Had a 2018 JK Rubcion as well with the 3.6. No engine issues with either. I like the 2.0 better, but it also worries me a little more.

Rubicons have 33” tires stock, a small lift, 4.10 gear and 4:1 transfer case. Also front and rear axle lockers and sway bar disconnect. You can’t really get any of that on a Sport unless someone added it aftermarket.

Use Auto trader search feature to find a low mileage jeep of that year. I drove to TX in April to get my 2017 with only 16K miles on it. Just look at the front bumper for flat tow set ups to be sure they weren’t flat towed as you never know the true running gear mileage

Thanks guys

69hondo

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat! can all wranglers be flat towed? or are there certain models where the transfer case can't be put into neutral (kinda like some grand cherokees?)

I think all 4wd wranglers can be flat towed and yes they do have 2wd wranglers. those I dont know if they can be flat towed.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

2x4 wranglers are super rare i want to say they were only available on the 07 and maybe 08 jk wrangler?

69hondo

Reaction score
Can they be flat towed with a winch/bumper?

Dana757

Reaction score
Rubicon's have Dana 44 front and rear axles with lockers. A Sport will have a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with open diffs. They are weaker axles for sure but ok up to a 35" tire. The big deal for me though is the Rubicon transfercase is 4 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 that all the others have.

69hondo

Reaction score
Rubicon's have Dana 44 front and rear axles with lockers. A Sport will have a Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear with open diffs. They are weaker axles for sure but ok up to a 35" tire. The big deal for me though is the Rubicon transfercase is 4 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 that all the others have.
Wow, that is a big difference.
Thank you

2Driver

Reaction score

I think the 2wd needs to have the drive shaft disconnected because of not having a transfer case, but check. If you are even considering a 2WD you sure don’t need a Rubicon although you’ll get your difference in price back when selling.

I’ve had 5 Rubicons and 5 non-Rubicons. We don’t go looking for challenges to conquer, but by the nature of our exploring we get in places where the locker comes in handy.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
@69hondo what are you gonna do with it?

If your desert cruising / regular 4-wheeling (not gnarly rock crawling) and using it as a TOAD you may not want the Rubicon to begin with. The 4:1 transfer case ratio is too low to use in the sand, and alot of desert type 4 wheeling. Ours is a Sahara, with limited slip in the rear. It does fine without lockers. The Jeep will automatically apply the brake to the slipping wheel forcing the opposing wheel to spin, and it regulates back and forth. Works really well. We haven't found a place we can't go with my wife's daily driver Sahara on 35's. But - we wheel lt knowing we have to drive it home lol.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
gotcha! I though the sahara's or Mohave were a 2wd
No, both 4wd.
The Sahara is a nicer trim level with more bells and whistles standard, and usually painted fenders at a minimum.

The Mohave is basically a Rubicon with the standard ratio transfer case, and shocks that are supposedly better suited for higher speed running VS crawling.

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
Any of the 2013 up Wranglers have a great engine in the 3.6. I believe it first came out maybe late 2011 and were some reported issues in 2012. You probably don’t want to spend the extra for a rubicon unless you are going to do serious Jeep shit. You also want the Dana 44 rear axle and some if not all sports have it. The x model has the 35 and I have to disagree that 35’s are ok with it. The easiest way to tell is look at the back punkin and if it has a flat cover on the fill hole, it’s a 35. The 44 has a square plug. I have had 11 different jeeps including a 4 door rubi (14) and never did Jeep shit with it. Now the 2 LJ’s I had, different story and wish I still had the last one. Now I have a 2022 Gladiator Overland model and haven’t even put it 4wd with 9k on the clock.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Yea, most aftermaket bumpers out there include D-ring tabs that serve double-purpose as tow bar mounts. The bumpers mount to the frame horns with 4 bolts per side, behind the D-ring tabs.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I had a '18 JK unlimited sport, full suspension but no lockers and standard axles. I upgraded to a JL392 Rubicon which is now on 37's, but probably more than you need, hell it's more than I need. My advice is a '18 or 19 JL Rubicon with the V6. There are a few nicer additions on the JL, plus the resale will be much better on a rubicon if you are worried about that, and it will go damn near anywhere.

81Sprint

Reaction score
No, both 4wd.
The Sahara is a nicer trim level with more bells and whistles standard, and usually painted fenders at a minimum.

The Mohave is basically a Rubicon with the standard ratio transfer case, and shocks that are supposedly better suited for higher speed running VS crawling.
Mojave does not have the front locker like the Rubi and I'm pretty sure it does not have sway bar disconnect.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the 3.6 being bullet proof…. Oil filler housing and heat exchanger fail on most of them around 50k miles. That is a top end tear down.

Left side rocker arms, lifter, and heads fail miserably early on many engines. Look at the class action results. Also known as ticking noise or #6 cylinder misfire or P0306 error code. That will run you 4 grand at the dealer…

Not hating on them but these are well known and documented weak spots so just know they are real problems you can encounter.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Jeep hasn't used a Dana 35 since the Jeep Liberty back in 2007.

All rear 44's in all jeeps 2004 and up but a 30 in the front in all but a Rubicon. Certain variants have a worm gear limited slip in the rear and thats what
if you want if you don't have a locker. Comes in all Rubi's even with the locker. I don't know much about JL's though.

Dana 30 in most years of JK's up front except the Rubi Dana 44 which is just a housing and gears up front. Still have Dana 30 Axle tubes and knuckles. If you wheel 37's and don't truss or sleeve the axle your at risk of bending a tube or a knuckle if you run it hard. I've see it several times back in my Jeep Club years. Beyond JK I dont have any Idea. I know the JL's have the ability to gear swap fairly easy w/o much setup.

I also know you should drive a Turbo 4. Its faster than the V6 and the V6 is not without issues. The Pentastar allows the valvetrain to dry start every single time as the oil drains out of the filter housing. There are companies that have fixes though. Attributes to Rocker trunnion failure.

All things have work arounds. You just find it, install it, and keep going.

PlanB

Reaction score
I have a Rubicon and a Sport and the Rubicon is worth the extra $$$ IMO. My Sport actually has a 44 in the rear though.

69hondo

Reaction score
@69hondo what are you gonna do with it?

If your desert cruising / regular 4-wheeling (not gnarly rock crawling) and using it as a TOAD you may not want the Rubicon to begin with. The 4:1 transfer case ratio is too low to use in the sand, and alot of desert type 4 wheeling. Ours is a Sahara, with limited slip in the rear. It does fine without lockers. The Jeep will automatically apply the brake to the slipping wheel forcing the opposing wheel to spin, and it regulates back and forth. Works really well. We haven't found a place we can't go with my wife's daily driver Sahara on 35's. But - we wheel lt knowing we have to drive it home lol.
Mild off-road and tail riding. Possibly a daily if another vehicle goes down and to flat tow behind rv

69hondo

Reaction score
Jeep hasn't used a Dana 35 since the Jeep Liberty back in 2007.

All rear 44's in all jeeps 2004 and up but a 30 in the front in all but a Rubicon. Certain variants have a worm gear limited slip in the rear and thats what
if you want if you don't have a locker. Comes in all Rubi's even with the locker. I don't know much about JL's though.

Dana 30 in most years of JK's up front except the Rubi Dana 44 which is just a housing and gears up front. Still have Dana 30 Axle tubes and knuckles. If you wheel 37's and don't truss or sleeve the axle your at risk of bending a tube or a knuckle if you run it hard. I've see it several times back in my Jeep Club years. Beyond JK I dont have any Idea. I know the JL's have the ability to gear swap fairly easy w/o much setup.

I also know you should drive a Turbo 4. Its faster than the V6 and the V6 is not without issues. The Pentastar allows the valvetrain to dry start every single time as the oil drains out of the filter housing. There are companies that have fixes though. Attributes to Rocker trunnion failure.

All things have work arounds. You just find it, install it, and keep going.
Go info. Thanks

grumpy88

Reaction score
Thanks for making it all so clear now ! Lol

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My Jeep would have been perfect for you and I gave the SOB away.

Like said you want a ‘15 +.

I had a Rubicon on 35’s with a basic 2.5” kit.

There is nothing around here that stopped it. Both lockers on that thing was only limited by your balls and willingness to break shit.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Rubicon on 37’s with a bunch of other stuff, this is my flat tow set up, attaches to D ring points on bumper, has a 10” riser on motorhome side, also has a brake buddy and tail light wire harness with diodes in all directions. I’m a fan of the flat tow, tranfer case in neutral, trans in park and you’re off to the races. Brake buddy came with a 15 amp battery charger, but I’m gonna put a bigger one in as my dometic cooler can work the battery pretty hard on long tows when the tempature is high (100* +).

Super fun to have a worthy vehicle when you get places to explore in.

556B94AA-3516-4711-A3CD-B0B5701C3138.jpeg
6839F58E-76BD-4AD7-8238-588EFCC54D55.jpeg

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the 3.6 being bullet proof…. Oil filler housing and heat exchanger fail on most of them around 50k miles. That is a top end tear down.

Left side rocker arms, lifter, and heads fail miserably early on many engines. Look at the class action results. Also known as ticking noise or #6 cylinder misfire or P0306 error code. That will run you 4 grand at the dealer…

Not hating on them but these are well known and documented weak spots so just know they are real problems you can encounter.
Just had to do timing chain on mine for random mis fire code at 115k. Pain in the ass. Did the oil cooler/filter housing. previously - another pain. Still love the Jeep though. 😁

Saved money by buying 2014 Sport and did a few upgrades including gears, limited slip differentials, 37’ etc. Almost like a boat - break out another thousand.
IMG_0490.jpeg

Last edited:

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I would not accuse either the 3.6 or 3.8 jeep motors of being bulletproof.

Jeeps are great vehicles once you have just the body and frame leftover from the factory and everything else is aftermarket🤣

Gotta say i love mine!

Also you will have a hard time finding a company that rates their winch/off road bumper for flat towing however you can do it.

My father in law was asking a bunch of manufacturers that question when he was shopping for a bumper and no one would say its rated and designed for that use. Their only for off road recovery shackles.

IMG_20230101_162744449_HDR.jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
Rubicon on 37’s with a bunch of other stuff, this is my flat tow set up, attaches to D ring points on bumper, has a 10” riser on motorhome side, also has a brake buddy and tail light wire harness with diodes in all directions. I’m a fan of the flat tow, tranfer case in neutral, trans in park and you’re off to the races. Brake buddy came with a 15 amp battery charger, but I’m gonna put a bigger one in as my dometic cooler can work the battery pretty hard on long tows when the tempature is high (100* +).

View attachment 1264957 View attachment 1264958
Thats awesome and thanks for the picture with the winch bumper hooked up.

69hondo

Reaction score
Just had to do timing chain on mine for random mis fire code at 115k. Pain in the ass. Did the oil cooler/filter housing. previously - another pain. Still love the Jeep though. 😁

Saved money by buying 2014 Sport and did a few upgrades including gears, limited slip differentials, 37’ etc. Almost like a boat - break out another thousand.
View attachment 1265073
the 37s do look good.

69hondo

Reaction score
I would not accuse either the 3.6 or 3.8 jeep motors of being bulletproof.

Jeeps are great vehicles once you have just the body and frame leftover from the factory and everything else is aftermarket🤣

Gotta say i love mine!

Also you will have a hard time finding a company that rates their winch/off road bumper for flat towing however you can do it.

My father in law was asking a bunch of manufacturers that question when he was shopping for a bumper and no one would say its rated and designed for that use. Their only for off road recovery shackles.

View attachment 1265082
Oh ok, makes sense from a liability stand point. What size tires are on yours?

zhandfull

Reaction score
Curious what you used here; lockers? or a real ltd slip?
Detroit Truetrac limited slip front and back. The thinking was much easier on the drivetrain than lockers. Well that and the wallet.

DV8 front bumper. If I remember right - rated to use tow bar.

Last edited:

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
Gear ratio (for larger tires 4:10), selectable lockers are the bonus of a Rubicon for your described use. The axle size ( 44's) are a bonus but a 30/35 axles up to a 35" tire for your intended use is fine.

Definitely stick with the 3.6l engine, it came out in 2011 but the bugs were not worked out until 2013 model year.

Not sure on flat tow, definitely research this as some older years would kill the transmission.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
It hasn't been mentioned but whatever you choose to purchase AVOID the diesel.

They're awesome until their not and converting that not back to awesome is nearly impossible. Plus lifting them, installing shocks, etc is a pain because of all the particulate filter crap, def tank, etc. Many common aftermarket parts parts wont fit.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Oh ok, makes sense from a liability stand point. What size tires are on yours?
285/75 R18

Think its just shy of or close to a 35"

Just a leveling kit up front right now.

Its in dire need of a regear it is a pig on the road. Off road ive been quite impressed with what we have done without lockers.

69hondo

Reaction score
285/75 R18

Think its just shy of or close to a 35"

Just a leveling kit up front right now.

Its in dire need of a regear it is a pig on the road. Off road ive been quite impressed with what we have done without lockers.
Looks good.

69hondo

Reaction score
Seems like from this thread we would be good with some sort of the Sport model.

Thanks guys

c_land

Reaction score

View attachment 1264957 View attachment 1264958

Do you run a brake setup on the jeep while flat towing?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Do you run a brake setup on the jeep while flat towing?
Yes sir, I installed a brake buddy system. It’s about $1100.00 deal on Amazon. It’s an inertia activated system and in 2000 miles it only activated once when some jackwagon cut me off coming back through Vegas at 6:00am. I though for sure we were toast, dipshit cuts me of and I hit the brakes hard, motorhome dives down but ain’t stopping and 1/2 second later the Jeep brakes hit, I hear a over size tire chirp/howl for a second and we stopped really quick and avoided taking out said jackwagon.

From a liability standpoint if you wad up without brake system in place you’re looking at a denied claim at best for car repairs and maybe much worse should someone be injured. I know a lot of the pusher guys tow overweight stuff without brake systems, but 3000lbs is the law.

That little motorhome stops better with the Jeep and brake system than it does without it, PERIOD.