WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I’m not ready to retire but I can’t stand it here anymore.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
A little about me, I’ve been an electrician/electrical contractor for 35 year.

25 years ago I took a job for a massive company, they offered regular pay, easy working conditions, benefits, stock options car, laptop, cell phone lots of goodies a metric shit ton of vacation.

So for the last 25 year I’ve been working for mega company odd hrs, 4:00 AM to noon, take a 1 hour nap and do electrical contracting from 2:00 -8:00 is a pretty typical day for me. I’ve gotten good at it.

For bigger electrical projects I’l tap into my months of paid time off and work 4:00A-8:00A corporate and then 9:00A-8:00P

This has been great for decades, sure I work a lot but I love doing the electrical and it keeps my wife home with the kids. + good healthcare, 401K pension, life insurance.

Over the last 15 years, this giant company I work for has been becoming more and more Orwellian. I cease to be amazed at the things they can think up to be as annoying as possible. We‘re past micromanagement, sailed through nanomanagement and presently reside in picomanagement.

One career I have customers who, with a contract of course, trust me with tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and the wellbeing of their business. Other career, I can’t go take a pee without documenting it. I can’t fuckjgn take it anymore. Life is too short.

Obviously this is scary and I know that I can make a shit ton of money as a qualified electrical contractor. One part I am worried about is having had cancer, it’s really expensive to get life insurance and I can only keep ~ $400K in coverage from giant company once I retire.

/rambling.

gqchris

Reaction score

25 years ago I took a job for a massive company, they offered regular pay, easy working conditions, benefits, stock options car, laptop, cell phone lots of goodies a metric shit ton of vacation.

So for the last 25 year I’ve been working for mega company odd hrs, 4:00 AM to noon, take a 1 hour nap and do electrical contracting from 2:00 -8:00 is a pretty typical day for me. I’ve gotten good at it.

For bigger electrical projects I’l tap into my months of paid time off and work 4:00A-8:00A corporate and then 9:00A-8:00P

This has been great for decades, sure I work a lot but I love doing the electrical and it keeps my wife home with the kids. + good healthcare, 401K pension, life insurance.
ut the alternate is even worse.

Over the last 15 years, this giant company I work for has been becoming more and more Orwellian. I cease to be amazed at the things they can think up to be as annoying as possible. We‘re past micromanagement, sailed through nanomanagement and presently reside in picomanagement.

One career I have customers who, with a contract of course, trust me with tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and the wellbeing of their business. Other career, I can’t go take a pee without documenting it. I can’t fuckjgn take it anymore. Life is too short.

Obviously this is scary and I know that I can make a shit ton of money as a qualified electrical contractor. One part I am worried about is having had cancer, it’s really expensive to get life insurance and I can only keep ~ $400K in coverage from giant company once I retire.

/rambling.
You and I live in the same world. I am in IT, and do the exact same routine you do as well. My largest client put me on payroll, the rest is history.All I can say is,dont make any drastic decisions right now. I Know it sucks, but the alternate sucks more.

You said it yourself, you have it "dialed in". Keep on truckin.

I know that I could make it work and squeak by with my clients and kick my day job, but not in this environment right now.

Off I go to my corporate weekly meeting. I been up since 4:30am "day jobbing". I know your pain! All while managing my guys in the field today.

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
MPH Keep in mind things are changing rapidly in the economy. Not saying were we are going at the moment, there are lots of threads here ranging from its all roses to we are all dying. If you were going to step out, I would suggest considering the instability first. Going solo is always risky at some level but with all that's changing it might not be a good time to roll those dice. Start building a plan and wait for a little more structure and pattern to the industry. The past few years look great but they are not normal cycles.

Totally your call but think big picture.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Start learning some marketing technics and put yourself out there. You will work far less and make the same money if not more. Horrible contractor can make bank.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
MPH Keep in mind things are changing rapidly in the economy. Not saying were we are going at the moment, there are lots of threads here ranging from its all roses to we are all dying. If you were going to step out, I would suggest considering the instability first. Going solo is always risky at some level but with all that's changing it might not be a good time to roll those dice. Start building a plan and wait for a little more structure and pattern to the industry. The past few years look great but they are not normal cycles.

Totally your call but think big picture.
I know, my regular customers orders have been spotty for the last few months. It’s nice to have afternoons to spend with my family. Of course after hemorrhaging money into my boat, I could use the work but I take what’s available to me.

The problem at hand is the stress of the micromanagement is going to literally kill me. Office down the way 2/2 people died this year one guy had a heart attack, we think it’s vaxx/jab related (a few days after the jab) and the other has pancreatic cancer. he is technically still alive but its just a matter of months. Here’s the fucked up part, the guy is trying to get back to work. Dude, it’s fucking over the company doesn’t give a shit about you, go do something you want to do while you still can.

Guys I’ve known for 20 years.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
How close are you to retirement (if you retirement is a goal of yours)? Benefits may be worth it to ride this job into retirement if your close.

I’d be more worried about health care post large company than life insurance. But, we all have different benefits that are more important to us.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Start learning some marketing technics and put yourself out there. You will work far less and make the same money if not more. Horrible contractor can make bank.
I spend $0 on marketing. It’s all replete business and mostly no bid contracts. Customers like to have an idea what it’s going to cost and I’m usually pretty close.

My customers hate me because I refuse to do shit work. And when they spent an extra $3k on a project but 7 years later saved $50k and weeks of delay because I did it right the first time, they love me.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
How close are you to retirement (if you retirement is a goal of yours)? Benefits may be worth it to ride this job into retirement if your close.

I’d be more worried about health care post large company than life insurance. But, we all have different benefits that are more important to us.
I think the covered California options are really inexpensive. Currently we spend about $12K/year on healthcare. I think it would probably be a lot less. Not sure if the care would be as good. My urological oncologist is top notch.

my plan was to work here another 5 years and contract another 10 after that to get the kids through college.

@70 it’s time to stop climbing ladders.

One thought is that if I was unencumbered by my “day job”. I could hire more workers and retreat to a management roll. I already offer my employees a marginal benefits package including IRA matching contributions.

HBCraig

Reaction score

/rambling.
I did a 3 year stretch with a micromanagement type company and I won't do it again. It was a total nightmare and it makes me cringe just typing this post.

Go be happy

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Things may very well be about to really slow down. Suck it up and stay a bit longer to see how the economy shakes out.

I have had my own crews for 27 years now and remember good times and awful times. I don't think I would jump out on my own right now.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You ain't 19 anymore...

But you're working like you still are!!! 🤣

Take that month time off and spend it camping with your wife and kids. Take the afternoons off and go fishing.

For fucks sakes, nobody on their death bed said I wish I had worked MORE!!!

Did I really need to tell you these things??

Chill brother. Life is short...

IMG-20220320-WA0005.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
If the life insurance is the big thing, here's how I look at it: Life insurance is little more than a bonus check when you kick. If you can leave this world with some property or such to leave to your loved ones, same deal, they can cash out.

Stress and stupidity are hard on the body. "Mega-Corp" doesn't give two fuqs if you live or die, your family does.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Our private Blue Cross Silver plan is about $600+ per person each month. $6500 deductible.

The cost of Health Insurance is no joke! Good thing Obama fixed it. :rolleyes:

havasu5150

Reaction score
I did a 3 year stretch with a micromanagement type company and I won't do it again. It was a total nightmare and it makes me cringe just typing this post.

Go be happy
I left a job earlier this year due to this same nightmare. The company got bought out and the new ownership did nothing but take take take and demand more. It sucked. Health wise I am much better off, financially not so much. Do I think it was worth it? Absolutely.

Jim

Reaction score
Without going into details. I pulled the plug at 59. I'm now 63. Dont regret it for a minute.
Little side work here and there but mostly for friends not $$$
Life is too short. The older you get, the less life insurance you need.
you worry about too much.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Our private Blue Cross Silver plan is about $600+ per person each month. $6500 deductible.

The cost of Health Insurance is no joke! Good thing Obama fixed it. :rolleyes:
I pay about twice that with union group coverage and company match. Deductible is $10K premiums about $12K/year.

Prior to Obamacare my healthcare costs were about $1,500 a year for much much much better coverage.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Without going into details. I pulled the plug at 59. I'm now 63. Dont regret it for a minute.
Little side work here and there but mostly for friends not $$$
Life is too short. The older you get, the less life insurance you need.
you worry about too much.
I have 2 kids to put through college over the next 10 years and still owe about $150K on the house.

Wife can’t operate the boat or sand car/RV so no need for the truck either if I kick off. That’s a solid $150K in a fire sale + almost 400K insurance

It would be tight.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have 2 kids to put through college over the next 10 years and still owe about $150K on the house.

Wife can’t operate the boat or sand car/RV so no need for the truck either if I kick off. That’s a solid $150K in a fire sale + almost 400K insurance

It would be tight.

Damm dude. You waited longer to have kids than I did! 😱

Sherpa

Reaction score

/rambling.

This comment is great!!

We‘re past micromanagement, sailed through nanomanagement and presently reside in picomanagement.

TCHB

Reaction score
My advice is to work hard and stay out of the politics. Big companies always have some BS going on coming out of the latest consultant. If you decide to leave do it with class. Never burn a bridge! I have seen so many people burn a bridge and come back begging. Good luck and hopefully you can reset!

Last edited:

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
My advice is to work hard and stay out of the politics. Big companies always have some BS going on coming out of the latest consultant. If you decide to leave do it with class. Never burn a bridge! I have seen so many people burn a bridge and come back begging. Good luck and hopefully you can reset!
I only keep discounts and life insurance if I formally retire.

I think I'll skip the party

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I spend $0 on marketing. It’s all replete business and mostly no bid contracts. Customers like to have an idea what it’s going to cost and I’m usually pretty close.

My customers hate me because I refuse to do shit work. And when they spent an extra $3k on a project but 7 years later saved $50k and weeks of delay because I did it right the first time, they love me.
I think you missed the point. IMO CC is talking about marketing yourself. If you are as good as you say, you'll be fine. Enjoy life, don't be a slave, that shit ended on Juneteenth.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
I’ll tell you like I told that carpet bomber years ago, there is NOTHING like working for yourself. If you’re as good as you say you are, you will be fine. Treat your existing customers like kings, be conservative with your profits and remember, failure is NOT an option!!!

I LOVE Mondays!!! 🤪

Dog

Reaction score
You already know the answer. It is just having the balls to move forward. It is tough to be self-sufficient. Takes a man with grit and determination.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I can relate, had a 25 year advertising career that mentally broke me down.
I willingly got laid off/fired, struggled a bit and it was not easy.

I didn’t have an answer, but I relied on my faith, got a great gig and couldn’t be happier.

I knew I made the right decision when, a short while after getting the boot, my wife said “you’re once again the man I fell in love with”.
Those words cut me to the bone.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Well…
I switch jobs at the drop of a hat.
I’ve had 3 separate businesses in 3 different trades. (Not always as primary incomes).
In the last 12 months I’ve had 3 different employers. 2 were W2 with full bennies (including current), one was 1099 no frills.
There is always far more reasons to play it safe in misery, and usually one big reason to say enough.

It sucks bad enough that I have to work a little more at my age. I’ll be damned if I’m going to suffer while doing it.

Since you asked for opinions here is mine.
You already have the foundation laid.
Leverage what you can from the man as a retirement, leave the bad thing behind, and never look back, you’ve already won.

Ozzy has a song about this.

“Killing yourself to live”

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
After 42 years, I couldn’t take the bullshit. Hit 65 and left. I have some fun, get bored sometimes, but nothing is as bad as the unnecesary pressure and bullshit from above. A side benefit - lost 14#’s in the last 5 months, at my fighting weight, haven’t felt this good/slept this good for a VERY long time. The Tito’s lasts a lot longer because I’m not using it to get to sleep!

DaveH

Reaction score
your blood pressure and health will improve immediately when you leave.

you wont hate going to work.

your cost of living goes way down if you leave CA.

you will spend 1/10 the time commuting, fuel, miles on your vehicles etc etc

overall your quality of life will be way better.