WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

hydrostream set-up help for my new ride

frogII

Reaction score
1987 Valero YT open bow , 135 merc 1988 (stock)
does anyone know how this should be set up correctly , as far as engine height , just trying to be safe , than expensive sorry , any help would be great
Thanks

Attachments

• hydro-1.jpg
    hydro-1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 572
  • hydro-2.jpg
    hydro-2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 467
  • hydro-3.jpg
    hydro-3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 461
  • hydro-4.jpg
    hydro-4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 449
  • hydro-5.jpg
    hydro-5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 453

Director...
Reaction score
....and with that picture,...Brown reaches orgasm.....:p

and so it goes..

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Engine should be buried since you don't have low water pickups.

Nice boat. :cool:

.... and so it went.

frogII

Reaction score
where should the prop shaft or cavitation plate in reference to the botom of the pad or the step ?
Thanks

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
where should the prop shaft or cavitation plate in reference to the botom of the pad or the step ?
Thanks
Probably right about where it is until you get a low water pick-up on it :hmm

frogII

Reaction score
OK brown ; is there someting I should know before I take this to the water and someone spazzes all over it.
thats just nasty

69 1/2

Reaction score
DO NOT open the throttle on that thing all the way without keeping a VERY close eye on the tach! That is a cheap aluminum prop that likely cannot take much trim and was likely a spare carried in the boat and not the right pitch. The previous owner probably kept the stainless cleaver, chopper or whatever style high perf. prop was on it. You can run the engine pretty high with the right cupped prop. I would prop it first but then raise it one notch and see what you get.

Do not fail to reseal the transom bolts if you move the engine even one notch. You get a little water in those bolt holes and you will cause yourself a nightmare of rot.

69 1/2

Reaction score
After another look at the pictures I would think the engine is has high on the transom as you might want. Just play with prop styles and pitches. Trim is everything on those boats.

frogII

Reaction score
21 pitch alum.
will be going to a 23 stainless after I see what the tach reads (as soon as I get the tach working again)
would like to keep it as dependable as possible for family usage
* NOTE in picture , solid transom brackets with lift on those , and motor is also on 3rd hole *
where should the prop shaft be in accordance to the bottom ?
Thanks for everything.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
From the little bit i can see in those pics, it looks like your motor is buried pretty good. Its plenty safe the way it sits right now Id imagine. 69 1/2 is right about the prop. Its a shitty one that wont like grabbing air. If you're just looking for a safe reliable boat then the way it is Id imagine would be fine. However, those Hyrdostream tunnels as I recall are pretty damn good running boats. I wouldnt be surprised if you could pick up another 10 mph by moving the motor up and throwing a better prop on there.

Since you have a metal transom bracket you dont have to worry about sealing bolt holes cause you would primarily just un-bolt the motor from the bracket and then move it up on there.

How long is that boat? That thing should be able to SCREAM with a bigger motor on it. Wouldnt be surprised if Brown makes you an offer you cant refuse. :D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Frogll,

You can raise the engine to the top of the transom clamp (bottom holes) and you should be fine. The height will probably gain you a couple of mph. You might have to use epoxy to close the top couple of water inlet holes on the gear case. Do you have a water pressure gauge?

You keep asking about engine height. How many times do we have to tell you to keep the gear case buried until you get a low water pickup?

Buried, man. Buried.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
21 pitch alum.
will be going to a 23 stainless after I see what the tach reads (as soon as I get the tach working again)
would like to keep it as dependable as possible for family usage
* NOTE in picture , solid transom brackets with lift on those , and motor is also on 3rd hole *
where should the prop shaft be in accordance to the bottom ?
Thanks for everything.

I dont have low water pick-ups on mine, get good water pressure (although I do have to change the impeller AT LEAST once a year since it does suck in more than usual amounts of air), and keeps it cool with a good impeller and my prop shaft's center line is damn near level with the bottom of the boat sitting about 15" back.

Heres a pic I have of mine. Not the best prop but it works for now.
CameraPictures017.jpg

frogII

Reaction score
Brown;
just trying to be safe , because if this doesn't keep the wife and kids happy it'll be called the BIG "D" and I'll be sleeping in it.
I've never run one of these so I'm just soaking up all the info I can
I'll get some more pics , I hope to get it out one time yet this year.
Thanks

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Frogll, that's a nice boat. It's all fine, even the prop. I encourage you to take it out and enjoy it prior to sinking a bunch of cash into it. Run it a few times before you start switching a bunch of stuff around.

As it sits, it should be safe and reliable.

That's an affordable, nice boat that will bring you wonderful family moments and blowjobs. If you start turning it into a lake racer, you could well forgo the former benefits.

Director...
Reaction score
Frogll, that's a nice boat. It's all fine, even the prop. I encourage you to take it out and enjoy it prior to sinking a bunch of cash into it. Run it a few times before you start switching a bunch of stuff around.

As it sits, it should be safe and reliable.

That's an affordable, nice boat that will bring you wonderful family moments and blowjobs. If you start turning it into a lake racer, you could well forgo the former benefits.

Look at Tom....all...Having a Terzian mnoment.....and shit....:p

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I dont have low water pick-ups on mine, get good water pressure (although I do have to change the impeller AT LEAST once a year since it does suck in more than usual amounts of air), and keeps it cool with a good impeller and my prop shaft's center line is damn near level with the bottom of the boat sitting about 15" back.

Heres a pic I have of mine. Not the best prop but it works for now.
CameraPictures017.jpg
His boat is not only much lighter than yours, it's also designed to ride a lot higher in the water than yours does - so the engine height on yours is irrelevant :hmm

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
His boat is not only much lighter than yours, it's also designed to ride a lot higher in the water than yours does - so the engine height on yours is irrelevant :hmm

I was just showing that to show that you can run it higher without the low water pick-up.

And I HIGHLY doubt its a lot lighter than mine. Mine is EXTREMELY light.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
Am I missing something here :eek: but if that's the factory set up and it ain't broke :hmm

Director...
Reaction score
lol...:p...The Outbored people are fighting....:thumbsup

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I was just showing that to show that you can run it higher without the low water pick-up.

And I HIGHLY doubt its a lot lighter than mine. Mine is EXTREMELY light.
Listen here junior, I guarantee you that his boat rides higher in the water than yours does, so therefore the motor will be higher out of the water than yours - which you yourself admit eats impellers on a regular basis. Can you see where I'm going with this yet? :smackhead

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Listen here junior, I guarantee you that his boat rides higher in the water than yours does, so therefore the motor will be higher out of the water than yours - which you yourself admit eats impellers on a regular basis. Can you see where I'm going with this yet? :smackhead

Yes Im sure his does ride higher since his is a tunnel. But, correct me if Im wrong (which god knows wouldnt be the first time), it doesnt really mater too much how deep it is compared to the flat water's surface (if that makes any sense) instead, how deep it is compared to the bottom of the boat since the boat will be displacing the water forcing the water level lower than the surface by the time it comes to the lower unit.

Again, this is just what Ive been told. So god knows if thats right or not.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Yes Im sure his does ride higher since his is a tunnel. But, correct me if Im wrong (which god knows wouldnt be the first time), it doesnt really mater too much how deep it is compared to the flat water's surface (if that makes any sense) instead, how deep it is compared to the bottom of the boat since the boat will be displacing the water forcing the water level lower than the surface by the time it comes to the lower unit.

Again, this is just what Ive been told. So god knows if thats right or not.

:D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Here is some "bad advise" put a jack plate on it and air it out till you lose water pressure then back it down a little. really outboards are cheap to fix and there not that complicated to work on:D oh yeah they always run best right before they gernade. Heres to several minutes of hiperformance boating:beer

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I think we should be considering the elimination of the Primer Blub and going with a low pressure fuel pump.

:D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
What about leaning it out alot, that always makes 2 strokes faster:D

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Buncha wiesenhiemers up in here :D

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Here's a few small mods I did to mine :rolleyes:

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
I think we should be trying to get Frog in a new tow vehicle... :hmm

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
LMAO. When a trolling motor is mounted the need for HP geos way up.

Blower hat on your whacker. LMAO. :beer
I just use the big motors to get it up on plane, then I hold on tight and kick in the trolling motor :thumbsup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Outboreds....:p

:point

armandk_AAK0221.jpg

Nice Bryan. I see your damaging efforts are not limited to just Jeeps. :D

When you run that kind of X Dimension you NEED a low water pick-up. :)

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
Nice Bryan. I see your damaging efforts are not limited to just Jeeps. :D

When you run that kind of X Dimension you NEED a low water pick-up. :)

Outboards make good artificial reefs...:thumbsup

:p

Ratso

Reaction score
Frog... I know more about that YT hull design than the frikkin' designer. Not a lot of potential for speed with that set-up, but should make a nice lake boat. They are a blast when you get into triple digits...

3036scan0004.jpg

frogII

Reaction score
:eek: HOLY CRAP , it gets deep around here quick , I had to go home and get my hip waiders for today :D

( by the way , the prop shaft is about 2" below the bottom of the pad when trimmed level )

frogII

Reaction score
Ratso ;
That would be Howard Pipkorn , he lives right here in the metro not far from me.
Not looking for tons of speed just a nice family usable boat , with the occasional go fast moment with a prop change , but of coarse you have to have a cool looking boat while your doing it..

Ratso

Reaction score
Or, as Sam Baker tells it, Sam Baker... depending on who you believe.

lol... It's a V-Bottom they put sides on... terrible design compared to Laser, STV, Mirage, and others of that era... and not knocking Pipcorn at all... the V-Bottom Viking would flat haul the mail. Over the years, we took mine and notched out the sides 1", filled in the concaves on the pad and dropped it a 1/4", removed the trim tabs, took out the balsa core since all it is good for is rotting away, beefed the pad and put a stringer system in it... and went from a 150, 175 to a 200, 235, 2.6XP, 2.5 Merc Carb, and now a modified 2.5 260 EFI built up by Ruck and one of Tom Brown's friends Jay Smith lol...:D
I've kept this boat around since 1987 simply because I like tinkering with it. What was your line Tom? Stuff a blown big block up a pig's ass..........:hmm

Ratso

Reaction score
Ratso ;
That would be Howard Pipkorn , he lives right here in the metro not far from me.
Not looking for tons of speed just a nice family usable boat , with the occasional go fast moment with a prop change , but of coarse you have to have a cool looking boat while your doing it..

You might check hydrostream.org if they are still around. Might help you with set-up too...