WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HTM SR-24 opinions

Snprhed

Reaction score
I am looking at moving back to the midwest and want a boat in the 23-24ft range. I came across an HTM SR-24 and have heard they (HTM) make a good quality boat.

I then did a search and it sounds like there may be some controversy about them (flipping).

One interesting thread I found from 2002 was a thread where RD was hesitant. (I do have some questions about)

This particular one I found has a 496 HO in it (only one Ive seen with less than 600hp)

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I am looking at moving back to the midwest and want a boat in the 23-24ft range. I came across an HTM SR-24 and have heard they (HTM) make a good quality boat.

I then did a search and it sounds like there may be some controversy about them (flipping).

One interesting thread I found from 2002 was a thread where RD was hesitant. (I do have some questions about)

This particular one I found has a 496 HO in it (only one Ive seen with less than 600hp)
I wouldnt hesitate one minute. That will be a great package in a very well built boat. A former member here had a HTM with a 496HO about 10 years ago and if I'm recalling correctly, he said it still would run mid 70's.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
HTM’s had more accidents due to a booming economy at the time that allowed people to stuff more HP under the hatch than they had talent to drive.
LOL my family included.

As you mentioned not many HTM’s with less than 600HP. Thatvputs you at 90mph right about where shit goes bad when you do stupid shit.

Steve put out a demo on VHS on how to carve a turn, people tried to duplicate it and it usually didn’t work out.

Drive it with common sense and you will be fine.

Snprhed

Reaction score
This gets to the heart of why Im hesitant. I have never driven a cat (of any kind), I have however been around boats my whole life. I have lots of experience driving V's. I know that a cat is a whole different thing though. It makes me a little nervous.

HTM’s had more accidents due to a booming economy at the time that allowed people to stuff more HP under the hatch than they had talent to drive.
LOL my family included.

As you mentioned not many HTM’s with less than 600HP. Thatvputs you at 90mph right about where shit goes bad when you do stupid shit.

Steve put out a demo on VHS on how to carve a turn, people tried to duplicate it and it usually didn’t work out.

Drive it with common sense and you will be fine.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This gets to the heart of why Im hesitant. I have never driven a cat (of any kind), I have however been around boats my whole life. I have lots of experience driving V's. I know that a cat is a whole different thing though. It makes me a little nervous.

Just like riding a bike. Start out slow and work your way up. Have someone take you for a ride and give you tips.
Tres Martin has a great course from what I hear.

My dad bought a 600HP SS. Coming from a 21’ Essex.
Never crashed. Had a couple pucker moments but never came close to crashing.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They are fast, have tons of interior room. Supposedly the SR has a higher center of gravity feel than the SS, due to having way more freeboard. I believe RD's comments apply to the SR only.
Lots of my friends have SR's and dont have a complaint. But to each their own.....
I don't think you would have an issue with a 496HO under the hatch. Everybody mentions that alot of HTM's have crashed, and therefor that makes them prone to crashing. However, look at the majority of the HTM's out there - Big blower with 800-1000HP. Your not taking statsitics on toyota camry's here. Most of them are hot rods, and are hot-rodded when driven. There's gonna be accidents

Snprhed

Reaction score
I was at Nordic a couple years ago and talked to them about the Thor 27, they said the center sponson, made that boat almost drive like a V. (like a cat with training wheels)

I assumed the same basics would hold true for the HTM

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
An HTM is on my short list of boats to own one day. I LOVE the looks of the SR24, and the space inside. The few Ive been in dont ride as good as my carrera in the rougher stuff, but I'd still own one.

I wouldnt worry about all the hooplah about them rolling/flipping. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Snprhed

Reaction score
Well I talked to the dealer that has it and they seem less than thrilled to trade (for 2 "east coast") boats

So I guess this is all academic at this point. For the future It sounds like they are a pretty well built boats though

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I would say you be careful operating any boat if you smoke anything that looks like your avatar

Englewood

Reaction score
I know nothing other than watching them drive by from the shore. They do look sketchy as shit each time they come by.

TCHB

Reaction score
I have seen so many of these boats run with pretty stock engines. That is a good package.
I towed a guy in one time with a 1200HP blown AlKY engine. I thought to my self too much HP for the boat and outdrive.

shane-o

Reaction score
I was the same grew up around and with v hull and flat bottom boats. I then wanted to step into the cat world so i bought my first cat a htm sr-24. It was an awesome boat they are built well and ride nice. If you use common sense and ease into it you will love the hull design. The trippiest part for me was when you turn it gives you the sensation just like a car vs a v hull feels like a motorcycle when you turn. also when you get up on plain the initial way the boat feels when it rocks to the different sponsons. But I can tell you once you go cat you wont go back lol.

spectracular

Reaction score
If looking at an HTM I’d avoid the 1st model. They had wood floors and did not have the “triangles” on the back. The second gen versions had the figberglass liners.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thread from 2002? You have to pm me a link to that!

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I think if you learn to drive it and respect it you are fine. That said, they do have a “reputation” so resale might be tough. Lots of other great boats on the market.....

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I think if you learn to drive it and respect it you are fine. That said, they do have a “reputation” so resale might be tough. Lots of other great boats on the market.....
Literally they couldn't be hotter right now. Value has climbed tremendously over the last few years. There's a group for htm owners on facebook that would be much better served for actual info on the hull, power, and driving them than this thread right now. More than likely someone there will be able to tell you all about the boat you are looking at. There's been alot of conjecture here so far. They are definitely not for everyone but they are as safe as you drive them. Multiple friends of mine have them and they are absolutely fine for anything under 2-3ft water. They don't handle bigger water well, they are a compression hull. Get on the fb if you want to learn alot about them

Brennan

Reaction score
I have a 1998 HTM SR-24 (currently for sale). I have had both of my kids on board since infants. I have a big blower motor and boat is capable of triple digits. It all
Comes down
To responsible driving and learning how the boat handles. I have never felt nervous or scared with my family on board. Goes to say I never have had them on board above 75+. It’s a great handling boat that can really perform. Don’t believe the negative hype

Snprhed

Reaction score
I would say you be careful operating any boat if you smoke anything that looks like your avatar

I dont, I drink 3 beers right after I sink the sand spike then I switch to water. We are usually parked for 4 hours. Ive been dropping at Temple Bar for the last 3 months so I have 30 or 45 min drive home afterwards as well.

boataholic

Reaction score
I had a Sr24 for about 6 years, and heard all the negative comments over that period of time. With that being said I never felt uncomfortable while on the water. I had decent power(approx. 800hp), and the boat was at its best in the upper rpm. The boat definitely has a big fan base as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had a Sr24 for about 6 years, and heard all the negative comments over that period of time. With that being said I never felt uncomfortable while on the water. I had decent power(approx. 800hp), and the boat was at its best in the upper rpm. The boat definitely has a big fan base as well.

Literally they couldn't be hotter right now. Value has climbed tremendously over the last few years. There's a group for htm owners on facebook that would be much better served for actual info on the hull, power, and driving them than this thread right now. More than likely someone there will be able to tell you all about the boat you are looking at. There's been alot of conjecture here so far. They are definitely not for everyone but they are as safe as you drive them. Multiple friends of mine have them and they are absolutely fine for anything under 2-3ft water. They don't handle bigger water well, they are a compression hull. Get on the fb if you want to learn alot about them

It's a strange thing about the internet.. People can get a lot of good information from it, but people can also mistake cheer leading for reality. (Especially on FB pages dedicated to one brand.. that isn't education, that's propaganda)

I agree with Ibeplumbing that any boat is as safe as your capabilities and how you drive it. I think they used to be (back in their heyday) a crazy bang for the buck for speed vs $$..

That said those same people on FB clamored that they should start that company back up again, and there would be undying support for the brand if they did. A dozen people or so said they'd step up and build one! Well they did and they bought the molds back and put quite a bit of effort into that program. It was quite sometime ago and to date I don't believe one has been built, or one has been ordered?

In short welcome to the bar on Friday and Saturday night.. A lot of people say a lot of things and everybody is rich and famous, but nobody to date has actually done anything.

It's a tough proposition when you are looking at a 20+ year old design, and then stacking it against a newer model Speedster, or a Nordic 28SS, or a 24SX? Or a variety of other brands including the RPM etc..

RD

Last edited:

boataholic

Reaction score
I think it is very commendable what Leah and the girls are doing. As we discussed in the past Dave, I personally think the hull would have to be re-tooled to appeal to a new boat buyer today. Than you take into account the popularity of todays deckboats, which I am assuming are outselling 4:1 in comparison to a cat. So to answer your question not sure if there is a market for that hull as it sits today. Are their any builders selling a cat that size today successfully? I will pay more attention while on the water this weekend, but it appears most Cats being sold are at least 26 with the vast majority of them over 28 (or maybe that is just what I am drawn to).

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
It's a strange thing about the internet.. People can get a lot of good information from it, but people can also mistake cheer leading for reality. (Especially on FB pages dedicated to one brand.. that isn't education, that's propaganda)

I agree with Ibeplumbing that any boat is as safe as your capabilities and how you drive it. I think they used to be (back in their heyday) a crazy bang for the buck for speed vs $$..

That said those same people on FB clamored that they should start that company back up again, and there would be undying support for the brand if they did. A dozen people or so said they'd step up and build one! Well they did and they bought the molds back and put quite a bit of effort into that program. It was quite sometime ago and to date I don't believe one has been built, or one has been ordered?

In short welcome to the bar on Friday and Saturday night.. A lot of people say a lot of things and everybody is rich and famous, but nobody to date has actually done anything.

It's a tough proposition when you are looking at a 20+ year old design, and then stacking it against a newer model Speedster, or a Nordic 28SS, or a 24SX? Or a variety of other brands including the RPM etc..

RD
I agree. The single brand pages are pretty biased. However theres alot of good info on that page in particular because Lia can answer nearly any question about a boat they built. There's a few others on there who worked for htm building them. And theres other very knowledgeable people who had them in the past or currently have them now. There's also the few that says they are the greatest boat to ever be built, and that's where I agree with the propaganda statement. Overall like anything, take the useful info and throw out the rest. As far as building boats goes, It's definitely an uphill battle considering everything you said. Also, how much costs have gone up to where you would be 150k plus for that same 20+ year old designed hull with any decent power. That's a tough sell even to die hards. I hope they get some built, they are good folks, i consider them friends. Im pretty sure we all would like to see them do well.