WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

HOW TO REMOVE PAINTED NUMBERS AND LETTERS OF FIBERGLASS BOATS w/PICS..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
There is only one way I know of to do this right, works every time..easy off oven cleaner.. no sanding.. and leaves the gel nice..
DSC04305.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the first thing to do.. tape off the area ...make sure you cover any anodized rub rail...or stainless...what I do is curtain a sheet of paper on the bottom,... that way anything that drips will go on the ground, I also put a sheet of paper on the floor..you don't want the stuff dripping on the trailer..

DSC04303.JPG

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I have done this a few times with great results but I suggested it the other day on RDP and got blasted for it.

rrrr

Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone to do a thread about this difficult subject.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
next, spray a light coat on both sides...let it sit a minute or so... then go back and spray a heavier coat... you don't want to go too heavy where it's running down...should look about like this...

DSC04304.JPG

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
go drink a beer, or glass of milk...what I do after about 5 min...I take a cheep dollar tree little brush and cut the bristles to about 3/4" I go and check how the stuff is doing by swirling it around....depending on how much paint they used... it should come right off... but if it doesn't in one pass, let it sit a little longer

DSC04306.JPG

rrrr

Reaction score
This is great content.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have done this a few times with great results but I suggested it the other day on RDP and got blasted for it.

Why would someone blast you for this? It's the same way everybody does it.

RD

Snprhed

Reaction score
So this is technically off topic, how do you guys get decal/sticker numbers off?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looks like the surrounding gel faded a bit, but the oven cleaner did its job.

Familyties

Reaction score
I was shocked when Jerry from Hallett sent the paint guy over to my house to remove the name and re-number my 210 and used easy-off oven cleaner. The paint guy said it does not hurt the gel coat but some what freaked me out. All turned out good in the end.

Tank

Reaction score
EZ-OFF is awesome for removing anodized colors as well. If you have a piece of anodized metal that is fading, EZ-OFF takes it right off, back to polished. Would work great for faded gauge bezels or worn aluminum anodized grab handles etc.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
You guys should give 80 grit sandpaper a try. I heard it works great. Save the EZ Off for huffing.

rush1

Reaction score
the first thing to do.. tape off the area ...make sure you cover any anodized rub rail...or stainless...what I do is curtain a sheet of paper on the bottom,... that way anything that drips will go on the ground, I also put a sheet of paper on the floor..you don't want the stuff dripping on the trailer..

View attachment 654366
That's exactly how I did mine ,I used 3m perfect it 2 after the numbers came off and before the new numbers went on. Looks good bud

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
where else would the numbers be? you mean like a wooden boat?
damn, didn't mean for the post to sound like an ass...but in my head I was try'n to figure out where else you could but the numbers...one thing I am sure of, while a game and fish,.. the lady went on and on about the size, the spacing, where they must go, and the contrast, she also said.. do it this way and they will leave you alone..with a look like the storm is coming...my guess is they are gonna start enforcing the law.. and probley start using it as a reason for random pull overs and inspections..