How hard can it be?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Or i'm really going to make a mess, either way it should be fun to learn,

1724717712007.jpeg

Your ad here

Reaction score
Big thing I see with beginners is, they go to fast. Take your time and make sure the welding wire goes into the metal like a screw in wood as you move. Most people go to fast and the weld just sits on top of the metal, like painting a wall, doesn't do much.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
If I can do it, you can do it. I made a couple of racks to hold nitrogen and oxygen/acetylene bottles at work. I also made a stand for my dryer to put the trailer tongue under so the boat would fit straight in the garage. Patience and a good welding helmet help. 👍🏻

oldman

Reaction score
Go for it,
I bought a Miller 211, not a lesson one, UTube Certified totally built my daily driver/crawler three years ago, I've got 30k on it, and nothing has fallen off or killed anyone.

Welds are ugly, but truck is solid. been to Utah, Parker, Big Bear, JV.

YOU CAN DO EET !!!!

158221.jpeg

Croz

Reaction score
Go for it,
I bought a Miller 211, not a lesson one, UTube Certified totally built my daily driver/crawler three years ago, I've got 30k on it, and nothing has fallen off or killed anyone.

YOU CAN DO EET !!!!

View attachment 1422365
That’s rad!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Flux core wire and discarded bed frames for practice metal.

I'm sure you've already got a grinder and flap discs those are essential for weld prep.

Lots of YouTube videos on MIG welding.
Have to disagree with the bed frames. Very high Carbon
Edit; maybe the newer cheap ones are not?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Go for it,

YOU CAN DO EET !!!!

View attachment 1422365
What size tires and what axles, tires look fairly large, but I can’t tell on my phone. Looks good.😎

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'd read the owners manual on how to setup the machine and weld. The guys on youtube are whack jobs.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Box that thing back up and put it in the corner....then go pick up a lincoln tombstone from marketplace/craigslist...learn that first. Once you are proficient with a stick welder, then pick up the MIG.

wzuber

Reaction score
Nice machine, regulators and cart.....did you buy or borrow from a friend? Do you have bottles too?
For scrap steel....Just stop by an ornamental iron shop and see if they'll give you some scrap steel tube. They have tons of it. Light & medium gauge under 12" will suffice for starters. Get some plate- 3/16" or 1/8" plate scraps too if possible, small stuff. A 5 gallon bucket full will be plenty to start with. Start w/9 or 12 gauge thick tube so you have a little thickness to work with then move onto 16 GA. That will train you to set your machine and wire size up correctly and move your welding puddle more quickly. Start with .030" or .035 wire and co'2 gas... it's cheapest and most common. Make sure your weld lead liner, contact tips etc. is correctly sized for your wire material. Inside the body where the wile spool goes is a reference guide/chart to help you choose the correct feed and voltage settings for the wire and material your welding. You can adjust from there as you learn and progress.

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Do you have a tig torch for it as well? For the mig side, get yourself a bottle of C25 and get after it. For tig, a bottle of straight argon and lots of tungsten.
It has Tig, Mig and stick, so got all bases covered, its a pretty flexible welder, also will run on 110 or 220 so thats a plus. and if i ever get to that point it will do tig aluminum. you can hook up both tanks and it will auto switch to the one you need,
Nice machine, regulators and cart.....did you buy or borrow from a friend? Do you have bottles too?
For scrap steel....Just stop by an ornamental iron shop and see if they'll give you some scrap steel tube. They have tons of it. Light & medium gauge under 12" will suffice for starters. Get some plate- 3/16" or 1/8" plate scraps too if possible, small stuff. A 5 gallon bucket full will be plenty to start with. Start w/9 or 12 gauge thick tube so you have a little thickness to work with then move onto 16 GA. That will train you to set your machine and wire size up correctly and move your welding puddle more quickly. Start with .030" or .035 wire and co'2 gas... it's cheapest and most common. Make sure your weld lead liner, contact tips etc. is correctly sized for your wire material. Inside the body where the wile spool goes is a reference guide/chart to help you choose the correct feed and voltage settings for the wire and material your welding. You can adjust from there as you learn and progress.
i bought it, didn't come with bottles so need to get them, been reading up on mig welding so will start there, still need to get, helmet, gloves, jacket etc, already i don't like the cart setup so first project will be modifying a tool cart so everything can have its place,
Was going to start with flux core but decided to just get the bottle and do it right,

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
@H20 Toie if the Miller is anything like the multiprocess 210 Lincoln, it should be pretty easy to set up the voltage and wirespeed, it's almost impossible to mess it up on the Lincoln, so I assume the Miller is the same. Your eyes and steady hand are all you really need to worry about. Go get a good auto darkening helmet and a decent set of gloves. If you work in safety sandals be ready for a hot treat between your toes.

I bet half the welders in the US learned to weld on the Lincoln Tombstone. Lincoln still makes it, mostly unchanged.

One last suggestion, when the first spool runs out replace it with quality wire. Don't skimp on the cheap stuff, you'll get frustrating quality out of the cheap stuff, good wire, can make a bad welding machine good and a poor welder better.

575cat

Reaction score

View attachment 1422347
I picked one up a while back mainly for the universal 110 got a spool gun for it but mainly using my big 210 , yes the most easily learning tool I have had the kids welding when they were very young

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
@H20 Toie if the Miller is anything like the multiprocess 210 Lincoln, it should be pretty easy to set up the voltage and wirespeed, it's almost impossible to mess it up on the Lincoln, so I assume the Miller is the same. Your eyes and steady hand are all you really need to worry about. Go get a good auto darkening helmet and a decent set of gloves. If you work in safety sandals be ready for a hot treat between your toes.

I bet half the welders in the US learned to weld on the Lincoln Tombstone. Lincoln still makes it, mostly unchanged.

One last suggestion, when the first spool runs out replace it with quality wire. Don't skimp on the cheap stuff, you'll get frustrating quality out of the cheap stuff, good wire, can make a bad welding machine good and a poor welder better.
The mp210 is probably my favorite machine in the shop. I like the 215 also but DC only

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
They have the miller here in San Diego. Boss got mad at me for using it last time I was here so its been untouched in the tool room all year. Some people are strange about using tools 🤷‍♂️
image.jpg

Boat211

Reaction score
That is such a cool welder. I want one bad but really have no real need for one. I have the Millermatic 211. It's been great. Have done a few projects with it. I want to learn to tig.

endobear

Reaction score
Wife and kids had bought me a little HF wire feed a few years ago. Never touched it do to having a couple buddies that are excellent welders.
Was replacing 2 cracked exhaust manifolds on the work van and found a bolt snapped below the head surface.
Broke out the welder finally and with a little phone help from my buddy got it handled.

Sticking metal together is pretty fun. I'll use this little machine for busted bolts, making a tool or tacking something together to bring to my buddies to let him weld it. I'll leave the real welding to someone else.

20240728_135617.jpg
20240728_140328.jpg

Last edited:

OkHallett270

Reaction score

View attachment 1422347
This is a badass machine. I have one and it’s awesome. Makes you look like a way better welder than you are honestly.
My most recent projects are this rear bumper for my bronco I built from scratch, and the brush guard on the front bumper I got from Hanson. That Hanson bumper came with some really shitty welds I had to grind out and redo to my liking. I also built the cart the welder sits on as my first project back when I first got it. I’ve made some cool stuff with it. It’s been a great addition to my arsenal. Watching @cyclone you tube channel is where I made my final decision to get this machine. In the past I had a snap-on muscle mig and it was also a badass machine but the inverter stuff on the newer machines are so easy to work with and smoother and more forgiving.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpeg
    IMG_2697.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    812.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    959.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2323.jpeg
    IMG_2323.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7811.jpeg
    IMG_7811.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7812.jpeg
    IMG_7812.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7810.jpeg
    IMG_7810.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Cool machine.
I bought the poor man's Miller
A Hobart 140 during covid. I modified a cart to keep it on. Plenty of videos to keep it interesting. Enjoy!

j21black

Reaction score
I bought a 255 Multi-Matic a few years back, same deal - I couldn't weld. Now I can stick a couple pieces of metal together - Son used it a lot when taking welding classes.

Glad I bought it when I did, price on the same set up has nearly doubled since I bought mine in 2019. - I paid $2800 back then $4800 now...

I bought a plasma cutter at the same time...

My FIL was visiting a few weeks ago and he is looking at the same set up you have.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It is pretty fun. Kinda frustrating too. You wanna make those dime rolls, but you make ugly chewing gum at first. LMAO.
Play with the settings. They will change depending on different factors, like thickness of materials.

I am doing mostly handrail repairs for customers, swapping out shitty spindles and rails. Adding support feet and such.
I did build my daughter a 10 foot by 7 foot automated gate. Turned out pretty sweet, but the welds ain't too pretty.
Flap disk and paint makes look better. An angle grinder or two are gonna be your go to helpers.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I bought the 215 machine for my work. The only difference between the 215 and 220 is the 220 has AC mode for tig aluminum. I can tig DC with this machine for Mike steel and SS.

Great machines. Easy to use has the dial for thickness (voltage) and a dial for wire speed.

I’m considering getting one for myself.

My 350 tig is a beast.

OkHallett270

Reaction score

View attachment 1422347

This channel has taught me a lot in the welding world. His camera is setup to actually record the arc so you can see what’s happening. He has a video for about every process in every position. I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time under the hood at work over the years, but in my own hobby welding Jody here has been a great source of info.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I used to be decent at stick, mig and oxy. My issue is I have not done any in 20 years. I need to get back into practice. I also inherited a nice Miller tig machine I need to figure out how to use.

Just need some time.