WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home built trailer registration

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
What do I need in order to register a flat bed trailer, in CA, that has no vin or paperwork?

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I think u need to go to the dmv and apply for it like it was homemade. What do I know. :D

Halvecto

Reaction score
I had this problem on an old trailer for my Whaler. I called the CHP office and they set up an appointment for me to bring the trailer to their station for inspection. It did have a license plate, but the registration was outdated and I had no title paperwork for it (I did have all he paperwork for the boat). They inspected it and then riveted an aluminum VIN replacement tag to the trailer. It was a very easy process.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The proper thing to do is make sure it's street legal. Lights, chains, proper axle with brakes depending on size then take it to chp or dmv for an inspection. They will blue tag vin stamp it and create a registration. Do NOT tow it to the inspection! Haul it on another trailer. Sounds stupid but they could totally fuck you and impound it for being on the road illegally.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I was able to have Vin verified by aaa
I had registration for trailer. But somebody had used a set of number stamps and stamped the Vin into the trailer. I have no idea who did that.🤔

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I just went through this. Is your trailer a tandem axle? If it is you have to make an appointment with your local CHP office. They will need to put a VIN# plaque on it. First go to the DMV and get the form for the CHP officer to fill out. After you have the VIN plaque and the paperwork filled out go back to the DMV. You don't need to bring the trailer.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
The proper thing to do is make sure it's street legal. Lights, chains, proper axle with brakes depending on size then take it to chp or dmv for an inspection. They will blue tag vin stamp it and create a registration. Do NOT tow it to the inspection! Haul it on another trailer. Sounds stupid but they could totally fuck you and impound it for being on the road illegally.

The DMV doesn't VIN blue tag trailers anymore. CHP office does.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
My trailer still has the original 1979 blue license plate. With the last sticker showing 1985. When I registered it they did not give me a new plate, did not give stickers either. So what will happen if I get pulled over?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. The process doesn't seem all that bad. Surely I can get Auto Club to email me the CHP form.

The trailer is good to go. In the past, I would put my boat trailer plate on it, when I needed to pull it, but it's time to make it legit. It's a tandem axle with brakes, working lights and is in great mechanical order.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I had this problem on an old trailer for my Whaler. I called the CHP office and they set up an appointment for me to bring the trailer to their station for inspection. It did have a license plate, but the registration was outdated and I had no title paperwork for it (I did have all he paperwork for the boat). They inspected it and then riveted an aluminum VIN replacement tag to the trailer. It was a very easy process.

What did you tell CHP, when they asked how you acquired the trailer or did you say it was self built?

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
If you tow it in the HOV lane alone it is automatically titled and registered.

It must be a gray area of the law as I never see or hear of people being pulled over for it.

I've pulled my boat in the 91 express lanes, a half dozen times. Never a ticket or added charge to my account from 91expresslanes.

slowride

Reaction score
The DMV doesn't VIN blue tag trailers anymore. CHP office does.

You can download the forms from the DMV website and if you call the Santa Ana CHP talk to their field VIN verifier (officer White... very cool guy). It's the last office that does field inspections. I live in the 55/91 area and he has come out twice to verify the '31 frame stamping AND affix the state VIN on the Canyon trailer. AAA can't do the trailer titling, but get ahold of a "registration service". They went to DMV and handled everything for $60 (including fees!).

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It must be a gray area of the law as I never see or hear of people being pulled over for it.

I've pulled my boat in the 91 express lanes, a half dozen times. Never a ticket or added charge to my account from 91expresslanes.

Everyone is happy as long as the toll is paid :)

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
You can download the forms from the DMV website and if you call the Santa Ana CHP talk to their field VIN verifier (officer White... very cool guy). It's the last office that does field inspections. I live in the 55/91 area and he has come out twice to verify the '31 frame stamping AND affix the state VIN on the Canyon trailer. AAA can't do the trailer titling, but get ahold of a "registration service". They went to DMV and handled everything for $60 (including fees!).

I stopped by AAA today, for another matter, so while there, I asked for the form and explained my situation (no paper work). Two people at AAA, both said I had to go to the DMV. I then called Officer White. He instructed me, to go the DMV, since my trailer weights under 6,500 lbs.

How fantastic. Another trip to the DMV. :rolleyes

I assume that I'll have to first, go to the DMV, turn in my paper work to receive a "1 day moving permit". Then go back on permitted day, to have it inspected. Oh brother.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I haven't done one for about 15 years, but when I did I took the trailer to DMV. They assigned a VIN onsite. Someone from the DMV went out and installed an etching sticker with the VIN to the tongue of the trailer. They gave me a plate and my paperwork and I was done.

92 cole

Reaction score
I am going thru this as we speak. I was told by the registration guy I use, just tow it to the dmv. go around back and pull into the inspection lane, they will come out, inspect and issue a new vin then take the paperwork to a registration joint and hand them the paperwork and deal is done. NOW if you haul it to the chp with-out plate or paper work the fun begins unless it is on another trailer. I would cross your'e fingers and tow it to the dmv have it inspected and carry on. By the way the guy I use knows all the ins and outs of doing this. I have towed trailers with out plates many times and never been pulled over.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't done one for about 15 years, but when I did I took the trailer to DMV. They assigned a VIN onsite. Someone from the DMV went out and installed an etching sticker with the VIN to the tongue of the trailer. They gave me a plate and my paperwork and I was done.

I am going thru this as we speak. I was told by the registration guy I use, just tow it to the dmv. go around back and pull into the inspection lane, they will come out, inspect and issue a new vin then take the paperwork to a registration joint and hand them the paperwork and deal is done. NOW if you haul it to the chp with-out plate or paper work the fun begins unless it is on another trailer. I would cross your'e fingers and tow it to the dmv have it inspected and carry on. By the way the guy I use knows all the ins and outs of doing this. I have towed trailers with out plates many times and never been pulled over.

Thanks guys. I'll put my boat trailer plate back on it, tow it to the Dmv and remove my boat plate before going in. I usually just zip tie it on, so a quick pocket knife will get it.

It will be well worth the piece of mind to have a legit plate/reg for it.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
I'm telling you the DMV changed how they do this. Make an appointment at your local CHP office. They will put a VIN number on it. Then take the paperwork the officer fills out with the VIN info. He has to sign it. Then take the paperwork to the DMV. Done.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
You only need to take the trailer to the CHP office. I just did all this 6 months ago.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
I'm telling you the DMV changed how they do this. Make an appointment at your local CHP office. They will put a VIN number on it. Then take the paperwork the officer fills out with the VIN info. He has to sign it. Then take the paperwork to the DMV. Done.

Ok. I'll call a different CHP office.

Dylan

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I had a boat trailer out of Colorado without a title since they do not title trailers. No vin on the trailer either. I towed it to the DMV, they put a vin sticker on the trailer and I was on my way.

No Butt No Putt

Reaction score
About 5 years ago I had a boat trailer out of Colorado without a title since they do not title trailers. No vin on the trailer either. I towed it to the DMV, they put a vin sticker on the trailer and I was on my way.

Maybe 5 years ago. But 6 months ago they don't.