WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Holiday Arizona

Snorre

Reaction score
Let's assume you want to explore Arizona from LA, would it be better with a camper van or rather with a car and sleep in hotels, what would you recommend

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
For me, it would be a camper van because I already own one. I am single with two dogs so it works for me but I don't know your situation.

With the van I can go anywhere I want and camp. With hotels you are limited to what you can find and some areas can be pricey or even have no vacancies.

The van is self-contained so if I get tired I can just pull over somewhere and have everything I need with me. With a car you have to find a hotel then you have to haul all your stuff in and out. To me, this is a huge factor. It relieves a lot of stress to not have to worry about finding a room somewhere. I can drive as long or as short as I want.

I can also save a lot of money buy cooking my own meals plus not have to pay for rooms.

The benefit of a hotel is you get more room, nicer accommodations, shower, etc,

If you are bringing wife/girlfriend or kids, hotel would probably be better unless you get a small RV instead of a van.

Snorre

Reaction score
I already know Florida and Alaska, that's not mine, now I want to explore Arizona

Warlock1

Reaction score
I would rather do the Hotels if you have the money, but I am older and I prefer a real toilet and shower.

Anything that you would want to see or do is mostly accessible by car so that doesn't make a difference. Arizona also has a vast array of unique lodging experiences. Underground houses, covered wagons, yurts, haunted hotels and other odd places to stay are all available.

Considering AZ has a lot of outdoor activities, I think the real question is the season. You could stay in the high country up North and that would be ok. However for Phoenix, Tucson and such, fall and Spring are perfect.

Snorre

Reaction score
I would classify it as August, September or October

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I would classify it as August, September or October

October would be best and November / December even better but that gets into snowbird season. August and September is going to be hotter than blazes but some people are okay with that. Hotels will be cheaper and easier to find in August/September though.

I would not stay in my van in August or September though because it is just too hot. In fact, I don't even go to AZ in those months.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
I personally would not try to van camp or really any camping in Arizona from Late June to late September...unless it was right be the river of course...

Warlock1

Reaction score
Mid September start up North and work your way down. Not sure how long your vacation is.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
If you don’t already have reservations for touristy places…

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Northern and Eastern Az in the summer and the valley and lower deserts in the Winter and the river and lakes year around with a boat.

Last edited:

Snorre

Reaction score
thanks inmates for your information

wzuber

Reaction score
Depending on length of stay, itenerary, and desires to have a more complete experience you could do both. Maybe start w/van camping and finish w/ motels after your tired of the camping experience....
Do you camp often at home?