WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hill vs Merc props.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both? Is there a noticeable difference. Need to buy a set as a spare. I’d like to get 27 pitch 5 blades. Currently running a 28 pitch 4 blades. From what I read you need to pitch down with the 5s.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
No 2 props are the same unless you get into CNC stuff. My boat absolutely loves a particular Hill Prop....I've tried 2 pitches up and 2 pitches down as well as 2 of the same pitch from Hill and they all run absolute shit compared to the "one". I've played with plenty of merc props, a Hoss, a Mach, and a few others and nothing holds a candle to this rogue Hill prop.

My last boat hated this particular Hill prop.

No 2 boats are the same either.

My advise, borrow props and try as many as you can, when you find the 1 (or 2) that work...buy them from whoever loaned them to you. If they worked for the guy who owned 'em, he wouldn't have loaned them to you in the first place and he probably won't be too heartbroken with a stack of cash in his pocket instead of that set of props/prop.

Wayn-o

Reaction score
I have a Merc rev4 and a Hill 5 blade. Like them both. 5 blade is one pitch down.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
Ran a Merc 4 blade and switched to a Hill 5 blade on my Placecraft. Huge difference in speed and on plane time.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Had a 4 blade Hill on my first boat and it was the best thing I ever did to it. If I changed props to try something my 8 year old kid would say you changed the prop didn't you. Only thing that gave it a run for top speed was a 3 blade cleaver that should have never worked at all but did pretty good. Hill took it and tweaked it a few times until it was perfect.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not happy with my Chad Hill prop. They labbed a 28 Bravo for me that I use on Powell and it is just, meh. My Havasu prop is a Bronson Hill prop (Bravo 30 cut to 29 and 1/2 inch diameter removed and very little diffuser) and he was able to tune it to my boat by asking me very specific questions about the boat's performance. He asked me to call him after I drove it and when I did, he said bring it back and after the second working, it is the best prop ever. Unfortunately, he died. I have thought about contacting Chad but his shop just seemed very indifferent to me as a customer.

Revndave

Reaction score
I am not happy with my Chad Hill prop. They labbed a 28 Bravo for me that I use on Powell and it is just, meh. My Havasu prop is a Bronson Hill prop (Bravo 30 cut to 29 and 1/2 inch diameter removed and very little diffuser) and he was able to tune it to my boat by asking me very specific questions about the boat's performance. He asked me to call him after I drove it and when I did, he said bring it back and after the second working, it is the best prop ever. Unfortunately, he died. I have thought about contacting Chad but his shop just seemed very indifferent to me as a customer.
Pretty sure the 3200' more elevation at Lake Powell played a factor to the Lake Havasu prop.

Yoshiro

Reaction score
I've got a couple 4 blade Hill bravo types and they seem to run good for me. But the fastest prop on my boat so far is an actual bravo that was labbed by Mercury. Not comparing apples to apples at that point though.

I also love my cutting edge 5 blade props. Tough to beat for the price.

mattyc

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with both? Is there a noticeable difference. Need to buy a set as a spare. I’d like to get 27 pitch 5 blades. Currently running a 28 pitch 4 blades. From what I read you need to pitch down with the 5s.
I dont have any experience with hill props but I can vouch for Augie at cutting edge, great guy and has a number of configurations to choose from. He is nice to deal with. Also, if they are spares and at a lower price point than your good ones, it's worth giving up a little performance if they are to salvage a weekend in the event you bang one

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
29 Nordic deck with twin 400s.

I would call and talk to Hill, he was great when setting up my OB cat with props. They worked better everywhere than the Bravo stuff I tried, but a deck is going to pretty different in terms of performance goals.

gqchris

Reaction score
Ron Hill? I ordered a 4 Blade 19P a month ago for my little local lake cruiser and it took a month to get. Which was OK, whatever. When I got it, the casting is a little to be desired but not near the blades, so Im rolling with it for now.

I have been a customer for quite a while. He told me a casting machine was having issues.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I would call and talk to Hill, he was great when setting up my OB cat with props. They worked better everywhere than the Bravo stuff I tried, but a deck is going to pretty different in terms of performance goals.
Im more concerned with out of the hull midrange top end im not all that concerned about as I have a 4 and 2 year old always with us

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I’ve run both and worked with Ron for specialized props many times. I would also give Augie a call at cutting edge. The last 5 blade he did for me was great. Hydromotive props are great too. P5X if you want a five blade. For price sometimes it’s hard to beat a well labbed B1. It all depends on the hydrodynamics of your hull.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the 3200' more elevation at Lake Powell played a factor to the Lake Havasu prop.
No not at all. The Chad Hill cavitates and is less planted in turns. While the Bronson is too much pitch for Powell, it handles much better. When I calculated slip with both at Havasu the Chad Hill was 4-5% more than the Bronson.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
It’s got 28 4 blades now so I’d need 27s?
Call and talk to Ron at Nordic. Last trip out at the lake we were talking about this.

I bet with the slightly smaller diameter you could swing 28 Max 5's. They are 15 vs 15 1/4 for B1.

I bet you turn the same rpm, but pick up a few mph at every given rpm, along with the boat rolling on plane easier.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Call and talk to Ron at Nordic. Last trip out at the lake we were talking about this.

I bet with the slightly smaller diameter you could swing 28 Max 5's. They are 15 vs 15 1/4 for B1.

I bet you turn the same rpm, but pick up a few mph at every given rpm, along with the boat rolling on plane easier.
I will give him a call. Thank you.

77charger

Reaction score
Ron Hill? I ordered a 4 Blade 19P a month ago for my little local lake cruiser and it took a month to get. Which was OK, whatever. When I got it, the casting is a little to be desired but not near the blades, so Im rolling with it for now.

I have been a customer for quite a while. He told me a casting machine was having issues.
ask for a tour of the place and how they are made if you see him. 🤣

He’s a cool dude but be prepared he can talk and cook to chat with but you’ll be there a while.

I was in a few years ago started talking as it was close to closing time. Got shown around the building was pretty cool though.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Reaction score
Go borrow a set of 5 blades to get a base test imo

JFMFG

Reaction score
Go borrow a set of 5 blades to get a base test imo
I don’t know anyone with a set to borrow. I think I’ll try and call Nordic again. The answer I got last time was all decks 29 and 26 leave with 26 pitch 4 blades. They weren’t entirely helpful but Ron also was on vacation.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

He’s a cool dude but be prepared he can talk and cook to chat with but you’ll be there a while.

I was in a few years ago started talking as it was close to closing time. Got shown around the building was pretty cool though.
Been there done that. DO NOT just “swing by to pick something up “ at Ron Hill’s shop without a couple hours to kill…lol.

He’s a wealth of information, and you’ll eat it up…but you ain’t getting outta there in 5 minutes.

77charger

Reaction score
Been there done that. DO NOT just “swing by to pick something up “ at Ron Hill’s shop without a couple hours to kill…lol.

He’s a wealth of information, and you’ll eat it up…but you ain’t getting outta there in 5 minutes.
True my wife was callin saying thought you said prop wasn’t gonna take much time to get lol. I had a cold dinner but oh well. 😱

attitude

Reaction score
I don’t know anyone with a set to borrow. I think I’ll try and call Nordic again. The answer I got last time was all decks 29 and 26 leave with 26 pitch 4 blades. They weren’t entirely helpful but Ron also was on vacation.
Most of the new twin OB cats run max 5s if they aren’t running cleavers, a pair should be easy to find. The problem is most of them will be 32s or 34s.

Have you stretched its legs to see what it runs and at what RPM with your current props?

gqchris

Reaction score

Yup ive done that tour. When he found out I had a Baker, he went all historic on me. It was cool and I learned a ton. Thats why this last prop issue had me a little disappointed.

ChrisV

Reaction score
I got stuck talking to old man for a bit. Super nice guy. Younger dude. Not so much.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Most of the new twin OB cats run max 5s if they aren’t running cleavers, a pair should be easy to find. The problem is most of them will be 32s or 34s.

Have you stretched its legs to see what it runs and at what RPM with your current props?
Yes I have. At 6800-6900 rpm’s it does 93.

attitude

Reaction score
Yes I have. At 6800-6900 rpm’s it does 93.
That’s set up pretty good. I’d imagine whether you went with a 27 or 28 either prop could be worked to give your boat what it needs.

JFMFG

Reaction score
That’s set up pretty good. I’d imagine whether you went with a 27 or 28 either prop could be worked to give your boat what it needs.
I’m mainly after mid range and out of the hull. I have 2 young kids 4 and 2 and my wife likes to cruise 65-70 so don’t need much more than that.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
I haven to give a plug for Ron and Chad. I've known Ron for almost 35 years and have never had an issue with one of his props. If I did, they asked many questions, took the prop and it was fixed. I know they have some new faces at the Santa Ana shop and there are times when either one are there. Give the shop a call and leave a message. If you get Ron, be prepared as he can talk. When I tell the wife I'm heading over to see Ron, she know it is going to be at least a 2 hour trip.

22Shockwave22

Reaction score
Check this thread out. Lot of good info

JFMFG

Reaction score
Check this thread out. Lot of good info

Already tried he never responded lol.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Wait and talk to Ron.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Been in and outta the Hill shop for quite the years. I actually need to go by the shop again for a pick and drop off. thanks for the reminder.
Ron is an open history book, i sat with him for at least 30 minutes listening to a great old Parker story from years back. I felt bad having to leave.