WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

***hey Gearheads***

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So my neighbor wants me to wire his car. He wants to put a Ford modular v10 into an old Buick!!! :yikes

And to make matters worse, the V10 he has came out of a 2012 E350. :smackhead

I see SCT makes a hand held tuner for this engine, but I can't get an answer out of them if it will do what I need it to do.

Anyone know anyone that can tune a Ford modular computer?? Hopefully someone can, or my neighbor is screwed.

Thanks in advance...

brgrcru

Reaction score
like many things. when a great idea, turns in to a big can of worms.............

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
like many things. when a great idea, turns in to a big can of worms.............

Exactly...

All I can find for a tuner is a handheld from SCT. I called Westech, and they can make the whole thing work, for a small fee of course. ;)

So now I'm told not only do I get to wire up this engine deal, but I get to wire the car bumper to bumper as well! :yikes

This is gonna be a Major league project. Lots of hours. But as dumb as I am, I love doing this kinna stuff. He has Vintage Air A/C for this deal as well. There will be a lot of pencil to paper for this job even starts. He says the frame is out for powder coat right now...

Stay tuned! :p

Still open to other suggestions if anyone has a better idea. :)

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how this all unfolds. I like projects that are a little different.:thumbsup

BTW I'm not sure what mods you need to do to the computer but if you need to do more than what can be accomplished with a SCT tuner then you might look at the Moates quarter horse mod for the factory ECM.

SuperJet

Reaction score
He's bent on the v10 huh? If you are willing to travel try wild ponies in Santa Clarita. I know he tunes all the Mustangs and whatnot up here, so it's worth a shot. Good luck with this one

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I like the dare to be different ideas. Someone needs to do something with all these Ford V-10's.

LS swaps are easy now and everyone does it. I don't think LS motors are the best looking either, but hey, I'd love to find another early 90's Chevy van and swap one in. :D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how this all unfolds. I like projects that are a little different.:thumbsup

BTW I'm not sure what mods you need to do to the computer but if you need to do more than what can be accomplished with a SCT tuner then you might look at the Moates quarter horse mod for the factory ECM.

Looks like it only works on up to 04 stuff? Might have to check them out for my 86 Ford truck!

Or am I reading it wrong??

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
HP Tuners and a EFI live support tuning for all 2012 fords so that won't be the issue. The issue is who makes a harness for that sucker? Otherwise you will be hacking a stock harness and making it stand alone. Ita probably not much different than the 5.4 harness save for 2 extra cylinders. Maybe somebody out there offers the service

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Going to be tough to find and off the shelf tuner for this application. I think he needs a custom tune. Or better yet, his head examined. You don't put Ford parts in a GM. The other way around is usually necessary though. :)

Stupid V10s. Never been under the hood of a truck more often than when I owned one of those piles. :grumble:

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 18

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
HP Tuners and a EFI live support tuning for all 2012 fords so that won't be the issue. The issue is who makes a harness for that sucker? Otherwise you will be hacking a stock harness and making it stand alone. Ita probably not much different than the 5.4 harness save for 2 extra cylinders. Maybe somebody out there offers the service

He has everything out of the van. Trans, wire harness, the whole nine yards. Just have to make it all work!

I'm gonna just take it to Westech when it's done. Let them be responsible for the tune. They gave me a price to tune and dyno the thing, and told me it will be good to go when it's done. I just have to supply the SCT tuner.

I'm All good with that. :thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Going to be tough to find and off the shelf tuner for this application. I think he needs a custom tune. Or better yet, his head examined. You don't put Ford parts in a GM. The other way around is usually necessary though. :)

Stupid V10s. Never been under the hood of a truck more often than when I owned one of those piles. :grumble:

Yep. Don't get OC started on Ford V10's, he hates those things with a passion...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
What an odd engine to put into an old Buick LOL

Mod motors are tall, does it even fit?

I used a guy here in Torrance to tune my blown expedition back in the day. Danny something or other...if your leads don't pan out I'm happy to look up his name :thumbup:

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Exactly...

All I can find for a tuner is a handheld from SCT. I called Westech, and they can make the whole thing work, for a small fee of course. ;)

So now I'm told not only do I get to wire up this engine deal, but I get to wire the car bumper to bumper as well! :yikes

This is gonna be a Major league project. Lots of hours. But as dumb as I am, I love doing this kinna stuff. He has Vintage Air A/C for this deal as well. There will be a lot of pencil to paper for this job even starts. He says the frame is out for powder coat right now...

Stay tuned! :p

Still open to other suggestions if anyone has a better idea. :)

When you take these projects on do you typicaly go with a pre fabbed wiring harness and fuse block? Or do you start from scratch?

lebel409

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority, but the V-10 seems like it would be great in a space where a straight 8 would be...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What an odd engine to put into an old Buick LOL

Mod motors are tall, does it even fit?

I used a guy here I. Torrance to tune my blown expedition back in the day. Danny something or other...if your leads don't pan out I'm happy to look up his name :thumbup:

Thats why he used it...

He wanted something that would fill up the engine compartment! The LS would have looked like a toy in there. This will at least look like it belongs there.

Thanks Rob, I'll let you know. :thumbsup

69GS

Reaction score
What year and model of Buick?

Kirk

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
He has everything out of the van. Trans, wire harness, the whole nine yards. Just have to make it all work!

I'm gonna just take it to Westech when it's done. Let them be responsible for the tune. They gave me a price to tune and dyno the thing, and told me it will be good to go when it's done. I just have to supply the SCT tuner.

I'm All good with that. :thumbsup

The thing with Westech, is that they suck at drivability tuning. Seems like the do WOT tuning only, all the modified cars that leave there end up driving and idling like shit, but the WOT fuel curve and timing are perfect.

Being that your motor is stock they may do ok

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The thing with Westech, is that they suck at drivability tuning. Seems like the do WOT tuning only, all the modified cars that leave there end up driving and idling like shit, but the WOT fuel curve and timing are perfect.

Being that your motor is stock they may do ok

You know me...

It will be going right back to them if there are Any issues!!! I don't mind paying, but it better be right. :thumbsup

Your ad here

Reaction score
The sct can be loaded with any custom tune. Im sure you can find a good tuner on FTE or a similar site that can get that thing tuned just right.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yep. Don't get OC started on Ford V10's, he hates those things with a passion...

Joe do yourself a favor and step aside. Those V-10's are a massive piece although I do remember a company putting them in police cars CNG powered and turbocharged. They made like 250 hp. LMAO.

We just got the Focus back from RSM Ford. It made it 11.5k miles before the trans fucked up.

Kirstin's been driving a 200k mile Grand Cherokee most the week. It have awesome A/C.

FUCK FORD. No mas.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Call Greg Monroe at RET (562) 622-2508 Tell him Chris Mann sent you. Modular Fords are his specialty.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
It will need 2 of them. So a 1 1/2 race cam when you add them up

I think a couple 1/4 cams for 1/2 race is all your going to find. 3/4 race (pair of 3/8 race cams) are just not available.

Full race plus a 1/2? Thats just arrogant. :D:D Nobody goes full race unless you have blower surge.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I think a couple 1/4 cams for 1/2 race is all your going to find. 3/4 race (pair of 3/8 race cams) are just not available.

Full race plus a 1/2? Thats just arrogant. :D:D Nobody goes full race unless you have blower surge.

Unobtanium [emoji106]

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
This is one of those spend more to go slower projects. :)

You should not even really need a tune for this. Just turn all emissions and theft controls off.

An LS looks like a supermodel compared to that mess of a V10. It is really easy to pretty up an LS with some remote mounted coils, nice valve covers and some attention to detail while rigging.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
He's got a Fuckus in his stable.

I don't think the drivetrain is all that different. He's been through hell with his though. Mine has been trouble free but I don't think I'd have the patience he has shown.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
So when picking up the pukeus we looked at a few used for sale. It's not looking good. Really poor resale.

The repair - So because Ford sold all these cars referring to them as a 6 spd auto with a Dual Clutch, we all (and yes there is a class action lawsuit) thought it would shift forever as it did new. Nobody the world clearly its an Automatic shifting Manual Transmission. So Ford has been eating these for breakfast for all kinds of complaints to outright failures so part of what was fixed was a new TPCM (trans power control module) that now logs shift data. So now when it chatters and scares the shit out of everyone in the car, Ford has a way of telling you No Repair Needed, its within the range. Then they print out some data on a chart and say see, to bad.

Ford is VERY crafty with denying warranty. We also do not get the 150k mile clutch extended warranty either now that Ford can refer to the fabricated acceptable clutch data from this new module.

Is the the car better....yes they did something. Will it last? According to about a million hits on Google...nope.

Should have bought a fucking Honda. :grumble:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
So my neighbor wants me to wire his car. He wants to put a Ford modular v10 into an old Buick!!! :yikes

And to make matters worse, the V10 he has came out of a 2012 E350. :smackhead

I see SCT makes a hand held tuner for this engine, but I can't get an answer out of them if it will do what I need it to do.

Anyone know anyone that can tune a Ford modular computer?? Hopefully someone can, or my neighbor is screwed.

Thanks in advance...

It's gotta be easier to just talk him out of it and use a much larger 455. :cool

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yep, I never would've done it but I gotta hand it to you! [emoji106]thumbsup
Not my work guys...

But I am tasked with wiring this bitch bumper to bumper when it's all back together!

It's my neighbor Les's three year project, and my other neighbor Herman did all the welding. He built the exhaust as well.

Frame is getting powder coated, as well as the complete exhaust system.

I'm gonna start designing the wire harness now, so I have a map ready when it's all assembled.

Gonna be a major project!