WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help for a Friend - Impounded Car

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Without going into a long back story, a friend who is down on their luck in life had his car towed over the weekend while working a security gig and cannot get it out because the car has West Virginia plates and he has a CA drivers license. The car is in his wifes name and she is in WV still. The tow lot won't release it due to it not being in his name as well as it not being registered in CA. He will have the WV title in hand tomorrow signed over to him by his wife. Is there any way he can transfer the title to CA and get the car back? He said he cannot register it here until it is smogged, and he obviously cannot smog it since it is in a tow yard (Pepe's in Riverside). He does odd jobs/handyman work during the week and works security at events on the weekend. All of his tools are in the impounded car :( . I want to help the man, but not really sure how to, other than ask for advice here and share it with him.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Pretty sure title in hand should be good enough…and cash. 😉
They said no to both. Tow yard told him the only way it's getting out is his wife shows up from WV with her WV drivers license. They also won't let him get any of his tools out of the car, he offered cash.

I worked/lived next to a tow yard in San Bernardino for 3 years when I moved to CA. I watched them steal stuff out of the cars when they were brought in. I questioned them one day why they were taking a stereo out of a car that was just brought in. "We take valuables out of the car so thieves dont get them when they break in". ha. good one.

SnoC653

Reaction score
1st question is who had the vehicle towed? If it was the police and it is in a police impound yard, that is a different animal than if a tow company towed it claiming they had the contract to tow it. If it is the latter, he may need to contact the cops and an attorney to get the car back. The tow company will no doubt rack up the bill and try to keep the car if it is a private company. Might talk to the property owner from where the car was towed and see if they authorized it to be towed. Get them to put that answer in writing. Was it on public property and was it posted? If on private property and they didn't authorize the car to be towed, I would call the cops and report it stolen. A letter stating the land owner did not authorize the car to be towed should be enough to prove the company did in fact steal the car. I'm not sure how California law works on land owners having cars towed, so not sure who is responsible for the tow if the car was legally parked. How long was the car in the lot/on the street when it was towed? Are the WV tags current? Was it parked in a posted no parking/overnight parking area?

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am a semi expert at this....

Legal steps..... take the signed title to DMV and change ownership to california in his name. It will be legally transferred but registration pending smog but the paperwork will be CA and show he is the owner.

The tow company then can not refuse him access to his car. They CAN refuse to allow him to drive it off the lot because it isn't "Legally registered" but if he pays the tow fees and hires a different tow company to tow if from the lot they can't stop him.

What I would do (Unless the car is worth 5K plus) is call the local PD. Show them the title, aka prove ownership, and demand entry to remove personal property. Hell even offer to give them the car in trade if the car isn't worth the fight.

Unfortunatelly, the fight is rairly worth it. Between DMV tax & transfer fee, tow impound fee, removal tow fee, and then will it even pass CA smog make it not financially smart in most cases.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Likely the case, but he doesn't have much money. The car is an absolute junker, but it ran and got him to/from work.
Thats what sucks....even with his tools in it. The tow company will drag it out, make him jump through hoops. And won't be worth the cost to get it all back. The crooks will make out like Champs though. Shady fucks.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Likely the case, but he doesn't have much money. The car is an absolute junker, but it ran and got him to/from work.
He is going to hate it but have him offer the keys and the signed title in trade for his personal property. They will likely take the offer.

Pepe's is not a police tow so they don't care about reputation or "Fair" if they have the car. In fact Pepe's and Riverside PD are currently fighting.
It is not worth it to DMV the car but the car is worth more to them (Usually for a junker DOUBLE) with the key and the title sames them 30+ days of storage prior to lien sale.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
What I would do (Unless the car is worth 5K plus) is call the local PD. Show them the title, aka prove ownership, and demand entry to remove personal property. Hell even offer to give them the car in trade if the car isn't worth the fight.

Unfortunatelly, the fight is rairly worth it. Between DMV tax & transfer fee, tow impound fee, removal tow fee, and then will it even pass CA smog make it not financially smart in most cases.
This is what he plans to do to get his tools & personal belongings back. He is going to take them the WV title.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score
Which agency towed it? His wife should be able to send a notarized “hold harmless” letter authorizing the vehicle to be released to him. The tags must be current though.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
1st question is who had the vehicle towed? If it was the police and it is in a police impound yard, that is a different animal than if a tow company towed it claiming they had the contract to tow it. If it is the latter, he may need to contact the cops and an attorney to get the car back. The tow company will no doubt rack up the bill and try to keep the car if it is a private company. Might talk to the property owner from where the car was towed and see if they authorized it to be towed. Get them to put that answer in writing. Was it on public property and was it posted? If on private property and they didn't authorize the car to be towed, I would call the cops and report it stolen. A letter stating the land owner did not authorize the car to be towed should be enough to prove the company did in fact steal the car. I'm not sure how California law works on land owners having cars towed, so not sure who is responsible for the tow if the car was legally parked. How long was the car in the lot/on the street when it was towed? Are the WV tags current? Was it parked in a posted no parking/overnight parking area?
The tow company told him it was reported abandoned and they towed it. Honestly, I didn't pull the string that much to get all the details when he told me he lost his car yesterday. I don't know how he figured out what towing company had it. I have texted him a few questions and some guidance from the responses here and his answer was that he can't afford to do the DMV stuff and pay the impound/storage fees. "I just want my tools back and the photos of my kids. I feel like God wants me to part ways with this car now, I'm OK with losing it."

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
What does this mean. This makes it sound like he can go get his stuff.
If it is part of the car(Stereo, battery, seats, ect) it stays but if it is personal property the owner or owner's representative (Usually signed and noterized letter works) can remove items per California Vehicle Code. The car was impounded.... the propery is not.

For reference
Cvc 22651.07(c)
Prior to paying any towing, recovery, or storage-related fees, a vehicle owner or his or her agent or a licensed repossessor shall, at any facility where the vehicle is being stored, have the right to all of the following: (1) Receive his or her personal property, at no charge, during normal business hours

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Yeah private tow yards are the biggest crooks there are and there seems to be no regulation on what they do or charge.

The meter is ticking until the can sell the car to cover the bill and let your buddy GFY

it's a screwed up situation to be sure

chvynhra

Reaction score
The tow company told him it was reported abandoned and they towed it. Honestly, I didn't pull the string that much to get all the details when he told me he lost his car yesterday. I don't know how he figured out what towing company had it. I have texted him a few questions and some guidance from the responses here and his answer was that he can't afford to do the DMV stuff and pay the impound/storage fees. "I just want my tools back and the photos of my kids. I feel like God wants me to part ways with this car now, I'm OK with losing it."
This makes it seem like a police tow. Was it on private property?

FCT

Reaction score
What tow company? You can DM me if you want. If you’re really lucky it’s a certain one because it’s a ARB ex employee in charge of everything.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
With title in hand in his name, wouldn't he be able to go to the CA DMV and get either a 1 day or through 60 days possibly moving permit to go get it ca smog checked and start the new registration prosses in his name in which ought to help get it out legally too?

If it doesn't pass, I believe you get almost 60 days to get it passed and try again with maybe a new moving pass again depending on which one they'll offer up first as noted in the following DMV info,

If it doesn't pass, get the car out of state and back to her and if they're on good terms relationship wise either here in CA or there in WV, it should always be in both her name OR his name because if in under her AND his name, another fight might be in the works next time this happens and they're not together even in death.

Mikes56

Reaction score
If it is part of the car(Stereo, battery, seats, ect) it stays but if it is personal property the owner or owner's representative (Usually signed and noterized letter works) can remove items per California Vehicle Code. The car was impounded.... the propery is not.

For reference
Cvc 22651.07(c)
Prior to paying any towing, recovery, or storage-related fees, a vehicle owner or his or her agent or a licensed repossessor shall, at any facility where the vehicle is being stored, have the right to all of the following: (1) Receive his or her personal property, at no charge, during normal business hours
This! Definately this! He will have to have a letter from his wife stating that he is her “agent.” It might need to be notarized.

Then have him contact the local PD and have them meet you guys at the tow company to “keep the peace.” If the tow company still refuses to let him get his tools, have him make a citizens arrest of whoever at the tow company is refusing to let him retrieve his things. If the tools are worth more than $950 it’s a felony and a citizens arrest won’t be necessary. If the PD is wavering, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor is wavering, ask for the Watch Commander.” Hopefully an arrest won’t be necessary because that is a hassle, and they will let him get his things.

Some tow company’s are complete scumbags. I dealt with a few when I was working in Santa Clarita. You wouldn’t believe the scandalous shit they tried to get away with.

jailbird141

Reaction score
Why was it towed and who had it towed will determine when and if you get it back. Ask him what the tow authority was, it will be a CVC section and who towed it. It does not necessarily have to be registered in California to be released. Whoever told that was incorrect. However, if it was towed because the registration was expired over 6 months then you will need to bring it current before they will release it.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
What tow company? You can DM me if you want. If you’re really lucky it’s a certain one because it’s a ARB ex employee in charge of everything.
Pepe’s in Riverside

Reactions: FCT

boatpi

Reaction score
Everything above is good advice, and if she does not appear and she’s the person on title, they’re probably gonna want a notarized letter

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Tow companies suck ass, my niece got in an accident and her car got towed by a towing company I used daily at the dealership I ran in Reno. She left some things in the car so I went down to get them for her, they wouldn't let me get them and I spoke with the person I called weekly for tows. They were never allowed back to the dealership and never got a call from us again. I made them drop in the street.
In Nevada if you trade a car in, then it gets resold but the new owner never completes the registration, then gets towed the tow companies can legally go after the original owner even though he has proof of trading in. Phone calls, sent to collections, total harassment but legal in Nevada.

dribble

Reaction score
Without going into a long back story, a friend who is down on their luck in life had his car towed over the weekend while working a security gig and cannot get it out because the car has West Virginia plates and he has a CA drivers license. The car is in his wifes name and she is in WV still. The tow lot won't release it due to it not being in his name as well as it not being registered in CA. He will have the WV title in hand tomorrow signed over to him by his wife. Is there any way he can transfer the title to CA and get the car back? He said he cannot register it here until it is smogged, and he obviously cannot smog it since it is in a tow yard (Pepe's in Riverside). He does odd jobs/handyman work during the week and works security at events on the weekend. All of his tools are in the impounded car :( . I want to help the man, but not really sure how to, other than ask for advice here and share it with him.

I had a similar issue. Friend had a stroke and the car was found in the road, she was in the hospital. The tow yard would only release it to the RO. I called the agency that towed it (Amador County Sheriff) and spoke to a captain. He said if I came down with anything that showed she was in the hospital he would issue a release in my name. I did and he did. I would start with whoever had it towed.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I had a similar issue. Friend had a stroke and the car was found in the road, she was in the hospital. The tow yard would only release it to the RO. I called the agency that towed it (Amador County Sheriff) and spoke to a captain. He said if I came down with anything that showed she was in the hospital he would issue a release in my name. I did and he did. I would start with whoever had it towed.
That sounds like something a reasonable person would do. I'd venture to guess that folks in Amador County are far more reasonable than folks in Riverside county. Something about population density seems to squeeze the humanity and reasonableness out of a LOT of people.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Why was it towed and who had it towed will determine when and if you get it back. Ask him what the tow authority was, it will be a CVC section and who towed it. It does not necessarily have to be registered in California to be released. Whoever told that was incorrect. However, if it was towed because the registration was expired over 6 months then you will need to bring it current before they will release it.

This makes it seem like a police tow. Was it on private property?

He said it was the riverside police dept that had it towed. He suspects his ex wife's new husband called the car in as abandoned, but he cannot prove it.

The car was parked on the street legally.

The registration is current.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
everyday it's accumulating storage fees.. try calling the PD. As mentioned above, maybe the RO can fax or transmit some sort of legally recognized document approving a release to your bud

evantwheeler

Reaction score
This whole thing just pisses me off on principle. Assuming I am getting the full and true story, you can just call in an "abandoned car" on one of your enemies and have it towed without any repercussions.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Almost lost a $14,000 quad to Pepe’s.

Buddy and I ran a service call on the way to pick up Toyhauler and head to Glamis. Apartment complex had no parking so we parked at the front door at a tow zone.

We told the apartment manager it was us. As they begged us to fit them in last minute.

Effer had our truck towed and my quad was in the back.

We showed up to the city yard and they were unloading my quad from the truck when we got there.

Eff Pepe’s and that complex’s rates went way up for service calls.

NicPaus

Reaction score
This whole thing just pisses me off on principle. Assuming I am getting the full and true story, you can just call in an "abandoned car" on one of your enemies and have it towed without any repercussions.
They have to mark it. And wait 72 hours then it can be towed. Or registration expired 6 months or more.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
They have to mark it. And wait 72 hours then it can be towed. Or registration expired 6 months or more.
This helps. I just found a huge list of CVC violations allowing forfeiture of property. I sent them to him to force the PD to provide the code violation they used as authority for towing. Thank you.

77charger

Reaction score
This is why most consider tow companies crooks. Yeh I’m sure there’s a few good ones but alot if shady ones. Knew one years ago next to our old shop guy was a sneaky one no doubt.

Before I knew himI had a car stall on fwy off-ramp I got car to side he pulled up ready to hook up I said no I have help coming he proceeded to tell me he was going to call Chp and they will force me to have towed right then and rate goes up. Told him F off and my help came right after. Was funny seein him when I began working next door. He went in to something else a couple years later.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I sold my first boat to a kid that used to be a member here. Friend of a friend. Sold on payments. He never planned to pay. His dad had a tow yard and they were going to lien it. His cousin ratted him out to me. I repoed it from the front of his house. That piece of shit has disappeared probably died from karma.

SnoC653

Reaction score
This is the we see a car that looks like the owner can't afford the fight, so we tow it and steal it from them semi-legally scam. Nobody reported the car abandoned. If it was towed from public property without the city's permission, they stole it. If it was towed from private property with out the property owner's permission (i.e. a contract to remove illegally parked vehicles, or a call to remove it) it was was stolen. That is pretty cut and dried. How long was it parked before it was towed? How long had it been since he left it to work his security gig?

Just because you own a tow truck doesn't mean you get to go hook up anything you see. They stole his vehicle. Piece of junk or not, they are thieves and he can't afford to fight them so he is willing to give them his car to get his other property back. This is a shame and this is the type of stuff that should be fought by everyone that claims they care about helping people.

Edit: If the police had it towed, they are required to inventory the vehicle. The PD is responsible for all his belongings and legal proof that it is his is all that is required to get it back. He went to get the car and showed it was his. Every day charged after they refused to give him his property should not be his to pay. They lied to keep his vehicle and rack up fees. The cops would have to cite a code violation to have the car towed. A legally parked vehicle is not a code violation because someone says they think it is abandoned. As mentioned above, they have requirements to rule the car abandoned.

Last edited:

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Back in college, I got towed at 11:30 one evening from my apartment complex. I was in the red zone, just popped in to pick up something. When I came back out, the car was gone. Western Towing had it. I was there at 12:30 am. So literally an hour after they nabbed it.

They charged me for two days storage. "It was here after midnight, so sorry. Nothing we can do." Such bullshit.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
This is the we see a car that looks like the owner can't afford the fight, so we tow it and steal it from them semi-legally scam. Nobody reported the car abandoned. If it was towed from public property without the city's permission, they stole it. If it was towed from private property with out the property owner's permission (i.e. a contract to remove illegally parked vehicles, or a call to remove it) it was was stolen. That is pretty cut and dried. How long was it parked before it was towed? How long had it been since he left it to work his security gig?

Just because you own a tow truck doesn't mean you get to go hook up anything you see. They stole his vehicle. Piece of junk or not, they are thieves and he can't afford to fight them so he is willing to give them his car to get his other property back. This is a shame and this is the type of stuff that should be fought by everyone that claims they care about helping people.

Edit: If the police had it towed, they are required to inventory the vehicle. The PD is responsible for all his belongings and legal proof that it is his is all that is required to get it back. He went to get the car and showed it was his. Every day charged after they refused to give him his property should not be his to pay. They lied to keep his vehicle and rack up fees. The cops would have to cite a code violation to have the car towed. A legally parked vehicle is not a code violation because someone says they think it is abandoned. As mentioned above, they have requirements to rule the car abandoned.
It was parked overnight. No longer than 12 hours from parking to being towed.

SnoC653

Reaction score
You know if this tow company is that crooked, someone with a tow truck should go hook Pepe's truck while they are at lunch and return the favor. It was reported abandoned. Sure you can have it back as soon as you pay the towing, storage, and make sure you bring registration and the company legal documents showing that you are the person responsible for the company so we know we can release the truck to you. Nope, don't know where the equipment went, this is how we got it. We can sell you some used equipment if you need some.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
If he cannot get his car back, I may just go to the lien sale and try to buy it back.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
You know if this tow company is that crooked, someone with a tow truck should go hook Pepe's truck while they are at lunch and return the favor. It was reported abandoned. Sure you can have it back as soon as you pay the towing, storage, and make sure you bring registration and the company legal documents showing that you are the person responsible for the company so we know we can release the truck to you. Nope, don't know where the equipment went, this is how we got it. We can sell you some used equipment if you need some.
That tit for tat shit only works if you have nothing to lose. He has done his time in prison for gang related activity as a young man and has no desire to return.

yz450mm

Reaction score
According to the reviews, your friend isn't the only one this happened to.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
So with some back and forth with the RPD (not to be confused with RDP by you dyslexics), they said it was called in for the alarm going off. They cited CVC 22651.5 - Parking an automobile with the alarm sounding. as the justification for towing. Current impound fees from Pepe's is $1000. I was disappointed when he said the car had an alarm and it worked. Because that would have been sweet if they were caught in a lie.

The trunk only works with the key from the outside, he disabled the trunk release from the inside, will be interesting to see if these fucks popped or picked the lock to steal stuff.

PD said he needs a notarized letter from his wife to get the belongings out, as others have suggested, so that will happen.

How much do these junkers go for at lien sale? Its a 90's oldsmobile. Grandma's car.

Last edited:

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
So with some back and forth with the RPD (not to be confused with RDP by you dyslexics), they said it was called in for the alarm going off. They cited CVC 22651.5 - Parking an automobile with the alarm sounding. as the justification for towing. Current impound fees from Pepe's is $1000. I was disappointed when he said the car had an alarm and it worked. Because that would have been sweet if they were caught in a lie.

The trunk only works with the key from the outside, he disabled the trunk release from the inside, will be interesting to see if these fucks popped or picked the lock to steal stuff.

PD said he needs a notarized letter from his wife to get the belongings out, as others have suggested, so that will happen.

How much do these junkers go for at lien sale? Its a 90's oldsmobile. Grandma's car.

Every to company has a group of regular buyers. Friends, family, or business partners. They typically all have inside knowledge of the quality (Runs, keys, title, ect).
There is always a crush guy... paying $150-$300 depending on scrap pricing
There is always the shady used car $1,000 or less if it runs.
And then there are the no budget guys willing to pay big money on the rair valuable car, boat, RV, ect

So..... to answer your qiestion. It depends

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Every to company has a group of regular buyers. Friends, family, or business partners. They typically all have inside knowledge of the quality (Runs, keys, title, ect).
There is always a crush guy... paying $150-$300 depending on scrap pricing
There is always the shady used car $1,000 or less if it runs.
And then there are the no budget guys willing to pay big money on the rair valuable car, boat, RV, ect

So..... to answer your qiestion. It depends
I told my buddy do not give title and keys. He has a path to legally recover his property, thanks to you all, if it hasn't already been pilfered. Worth way more to them with the title and keys I would imagine.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I can probably help you without all the noise on here. There are laws in place to protect the registered owner.. if you’d like to give me a call I hope I could help you.

Jeff 818-974-4555.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I can probably help you without all the noise on here. There are laws in place to protect the registered owner.. if you’d like to give me a call I hope I could help you.

Jeff 818-974-4555.
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything to me Jeff. And, thanks for the input from all. Learned alot. Unfortunate reality is title will be signed over and he'll lose the car.

boatpi

Reaction score
OK here we go. Here’s a novel;

That’s probably legitimate reason for impound and it’s pretty amazing anyone nowadays it doesn’t have an alarm with programming that goes off after three minutes. And one of the reasons it could be a little higher is under the business and professional code. If no one approaches the tow yard and tries to get it out as the owner within 72 hours they required to start Lean paperwork that’s usually 150 to 200 hours to get the ball rolling.
A short lane is a vehicle worth less than $5000 within 30 days they will be the owner if it’s not contested along lane can go 90 days or more for vehicles worth more than 5000. So now your friend is looking at the tow fee, plus daily storage fee plus the fee to file a lien sale and some cities even have a parking tax if you can believe , it if the vehicle sitting in that lot then that’s a parking tax plus the police department might have a release fee Which could be $100 or so

Sorry to be a long-winded, but I’ve been doing this stuff for 40 years.

If you DM me or dm me license plate, I have a link that will often tell me the data was impound and the reason, but Riverside police is not goning lie to you.

The big thing having to do with the Towing is the storage fees how much per day they have to be in line with the community standard. It’s not a real science here per the business and professions code. So there’s gonna be a rate for the police department let’s say it’s $50 a day and if it’s a private party impound it could be a little more but it can’t be $300 a day for storage so if it was a police department impound. They have to go on that standard rate that’s been signed with a contract by the city of Riverside. The required to have all these fees posted in a public area of the front lobby of the tow yard. B and p code.

The biggest criminals in the world that should be no surprised to anyone are the Armenians, end of story no discussion…….

These individuals that are in the automobile business are thieves to about 99% of them. I know I’ve been down that road and their Tow operations.

If you end up at a tow shop or a body shop in North Hollywood or Glendale you’re screwed. I’ve had them impound rental cars before and ended up with a $5000 bill for one week storage.

So I go to these asses and trying to negotiate for about 1000 or 1500 and they told me to hit the road. Ok.

that’s when I call my friends at the bureau of automotive repair. They regulate businesses based on the business and profession code.

Last time one of these cocksuckers did this, and about five days later I had the investigators come in and they towed the vehicle out and told him to hit the road and got a fat citation on the spot.

As a sidenote, don’t ever in your life ever buy a used vehicle from any Armenian in Los Angeles county. Period!!!!

I’ll end it with this my last few years in the police department I worked auto theft and did shop inspections, over a 6 month timeframe

At about five Armenian shops in North Hollywood and in the city of Glendale I did the inspection or what I found during the inspection I came back later and arrested every single shop owner for receiving stolen cars

They were stripping everything known the man and reusing the parts on salvage cars they bought from the auction. They had paperwork won’t even had receipt from an Infiniti dealership to buying all the parts. I researched that and found out this asshole had got the receipt is an estimate, even though it showed paid and never ordered the parts that prick went to prison for six years. Another Romanian, almost like I had a chalkboard and started putting eyes and exes on it. Like shooting ducks in the water.

one guy I pinned 37 stolen cars on. Those two brothers went to prison for six years. F them.
Time for a cold one!