WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Haulover

PlanB

Reaction score
I have always wondered about open transom boats. Looks like that is the reason (along with loss of power) this boat sinks.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Wow. Terrible sad deal, for sure. That boat didn’t give up easily. Appears the guys ‘doing the right thing’ and dropping anchor when they lost power was their undoing. Boats have transoms for a reason. This boat didn’t have much of one. Their anchor kept them pointed into the outgoing current, which presented their lack of transom to the incoming Haulover seas which swamped and later sank them. Have to wonder, how would that boat have taken those conditions laying broadside? Appeared they were experienced and did not panic.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Just a heads up………. There are going to be a few more Haulover videos either today or tomorrow, of more boats sinking. Last night on the local news it had a sinking incident that should be coming out, shortly.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Why did the guy on the Seadoo not hook up the strap, he kept throwing it back? Was he being a dick and teasing the guy in the boat while it was as starting to fill with water?

RichL

Reaction score
I think it looks like he was trying to hold on to the line rather then tie it off. He could have saved that boat
Agree, but genuine question is what would he tie off to on the ski?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Why did the guy on the Seadoo not hook up the strap, he kept throwing it back? Was he being a dick and teasing the guy in the boat while it was as starting to fill with water?
You give guys in PWC’s a lot of credit. I always assume the worst with them and only expect them to hard turn into me…

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Don’t know why that center console didn’t attempt to take it into tow. Could have dumped most of the water had he got it moving forward. I guess these guys aren’t familiar with parbuckling?

beerrun

Reaction score
Don’t know why that center console didn’t attempt to take it into tow. Could have dumped most of the water had he got it moving forward. I guess these guys aren’t familiar with parbuckling?
I was thinking the same thing they still had time to save that boat

Taboma

Reaction score
Because he's an idiot. After numerous failed attempts to tow the boat against a strong ebb tide current by holding the strap in his hand, he can't seem to grasp the concept that he needed to take a couple of wraps on the water ski tow cleat behind his seat. If he's afraid of being dragged down by a sinking boat, fine, just take some wraps so you can let go if necessary.
Also this is the umpteenth video I've seen of these LEO inflatables with no provision to rescue swimmers, especially less that fit ones, and get them up and over the tubes. They make ladders swimmer ladders for inflatables, or at least a rope ladder to help the swimmer get up on top of the tubes.
I've yet to see any rescue at Haulover handled with even a slightest bit of professionalism by authorities.

Taboma

Reaction score
Agree, but genuine question is what would he tie off to on the ski?
Tying it off could potentially result in getting dragged down with a sinking boat, but using that tow cleat and taking a few wraps would allow a quick release while still providing strength to tow.

RichL

Reaction score
Tying it off could potentially result in getting dragged down with a sinking boat, but using that tow cleat and taking a few wraps would allow a quick release while still providing strength to tow.
The first part of your response is another thing that would concern me if there was something to tie to.

Kenboat

Reaction score
With the rough water it would be very easy to roll over the jet ski trying to tie off the tow line, I doubt many could in that water.

beerrun

Reaction score
I keep wondering why they only run one man boats. They need at least one more crewmember to work the situation while the other guy runs the boat

Taboma

Reaction score
With the rough water it would be very easy to roll over the jet ski trying to tie off the tow line, I doubt many could in that water.

The key is you stay low when you rotate, then slide backwards along the seat, the stern tow eye isn't that hard to reach. One hell of a lot less likely to roll than thinking you can tow a boat against a strong current holding the the rope with one hand and discovering it just pulls you around side-ways.
I agree, probably shouldn't be attempted by the inexperienced, balance challenged, and especially fat-ass couch potatoes, but then neither should they be riding in that Haulover inlet during an Ebb Tidal Race wave condition mixing it up with the big boys either. ;)

boatpi

Reaction score
Absolutely should’ve tied up to the ski. I’ve totally three boats in in my many years unlike Havasu on my Vera Sea-Doo. As small as they are, they really maneuverable and they have tons of thrust. Just hope you’re having a fuel on board because it burns it quick.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Wow. Terrible sad deal, for sure. That boat didn’t give up easily. Appears the guys ‘doing the right thing’ and dropping anchor when they lost power was their undoing. Boats have transoms for a reason. This boat didn’t have much of one. Their anchor kept them pointed into the outgoing current, which presented their lack of transom to the incoming Haulover seas which swamped and later sank them. Have to wonder, how would that boat have taken those conditions laying broadside? Appeared they were experienced and did not panic.
Should of gotten the California boaters card

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
whats parbuckling
Parbuckling is a process where using forward motion of a tow boat you roll the boat over. It requires a couple of lines on the capsized boat (one on the stern cleat, one on the bow). Stern line goes under the boat and over the hull which will start the rolling process. Timing on the pulling of the stern and bow ropes is essential as once the boat is rolled you need to use the bow line to pull the boat straight.
in the case of the center console, straight pulling would have likely cleared the boat of most water.