WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Has anyone remediated a grow house?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking at a grow house. It's in a great location and the house looks really good externally.

Of course, the inside is well toasted. The realtor tells me it could be remediated for $70K and that includes the clean air certifications, etc., that go with this. That sounds like a low estimate to me. He said 30% of the drywall will need to be replaced.

The property can't be viewed, as it's been sealed off as a hazardous area. Once an offer is accepted, it can be viewed.

I'm probably going to pass on this one but it's tempting. I watched a Holmes on Homes episode where they renovated a grow-house. They blasted the mold off the roof trusses with dry ice pellets. Pretty cool but the house was a gut job, probably not much less than an entire new build in scope.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Not sure how the RE works where your at but you can make an offer if your interested and once it's accepted you can tie up the property for 17 days for inspection. You can change your mind and back out with no charges or repercussions. If it's a property that your very intersted in, I'd make an offer.... Your out nothing in the end if it isn't the one for you.

BTW, WTF is a "grow house" ?

Director...
Reaction score
Not sure how the RE works where your at but you can make an offer if your interested and once it's accepted you can tie up the property for 17 days for inspection. You can change your mind and back out with no charges or repercussions. If it's a property that your very intersted in, I'd make an offer.... Your out nothing in the end if it isn't the one for you.

BTW, WTF is a "grow house" ?

Where Tom grows his weed......Then at gunpoint gets a fat woman singer and her band to harvest it...:thumbsup

Hypnautic

Reaction score
There are programs to puchase these homes. Guidelines are fairly simple and only require 100% down payment.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Furniture 4 Me

Reaction score
A pot growing house

if its that full of mold walk away. it must have been in use for a while. strip it to bare studs inside or start wall by wall and go from there if its a 2 story not worth it.

good luck

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Tom why remediate it?:hmm You are going to use it for a grow house as well:D:D

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
That would help me love live. :thumbsup

Tom that gave me a good laugh, that I needed:thumbsup I take it just a small play on my user name knowing you. When I was younger I thought why the hell do people smoke that shit, as I get older and more pissed off at the things around me I think I should start using that medicine. In jest of course:D:D

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
There are programs to puchase these homes. Guidelines are fairly simple and only require 100% down payment.

So it's would be pretty easy to finance the rest, then? :D

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
Could you smoke the drywall?;) God knows I've done stupider shit to get high.:smackhead

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Hey Tom,

I think I left my roach clip there, if you could find it during your walk through and send it to me, that would be great :thumbsup

Thanks, Jeff

elcajones

Reaction score
If interested, make an offer. If you get it in escrow, you have 17 days to do inspections and get estimates (as well as financing and appraisal). If it's too much, you can back out and get your deposit back. If it will be owner occupied you can use an FHA 203K to rehab and finance the rehab costs.
You'll probably find an additional source of income when you start watering the yard.

koenig

Reaction score
Is this house in BC. Rumor has it that a lot of houses in BC are grow ops.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Tom, don't do this deal. Way more potential for misery than it is worth.

Roaddogg 4040

Reaction score
With all the available homes on the market I can't quite understand why you would want to open a can of worms like this. Oh well, better you than me...:champagne: Good luck...

Steve

koenig

Reaction score
Alberta.

Don't you guys grow pot outside in your gardens in BC? :D

Still grown indoors here. A lot of "wrecked" rental houses that the landlord has to either fix or sell. They can be good deals even in Vancouver's crazy market. Think Alberta has a lot of oil money going into its market. So if its a good price and reasonable to fix up. Id go for it!

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Tom, don't do this deal. Way more potential for misery than it is worth.

Thanks. I don't expect to go for it but I will be looking at pictures of the inside this weekend. They don't publish them on mls. You have to meet a realtor in person to view them and you aren't allowed to go inside, either.

To be fair, this is bureaucracy more than a scientific test of safety. I'm told this house wasn't all that bad.

Still grown indoors here. A lot of "wrecked" rental houses that the landlord has to either fix or sell. They can be good deals even in Vancouver's crazy market. Think Alberta has a lot of oil money going into its market. So if its a good price and reasonable to fix up. Id go for it!

I don't mind tearing a house down to studs, if there is money in it. The thing is, that Holmes on Homes episode showed them wanting to do it right so they pulled off the drywall in the closets and bathrooms where the growing was happening. Wanting to pull the drywall off back to an unaffected area, they kept removing it until the whole house was gutted.

From there, they pulled down the ceiling. That revealed molded insulation in the attic. No big deal... they pulled that down to reveal molded roofing trusses.

As I recall, they were at a dead halt until they found the dry ice blasting guy. Before that, they were looking at bringing in a back hoe to knock it down to the foundation.

The point being, I'm aware that pulling this thread could unravel the entire sweater.

... but then, I don't mind some risk if I can get the house for approximately the lot value.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Tom, have you considered rehabbing it as another grow house, and picking up the business where the previous owners left off? :hmm

NicPaus

Reaction score
Tom, have you considered rehabbing it as another grow house, and picking up the business where the previous owners left off? :hmm

After there flagged its not that easy. Last one I bid to return it to normal so bank could sell it had no power from pole. They had been stealing power (Common) so edison pulled the whole supply line from the main feed. The price to return it to normal and get rid of mold $13K. Needed all new kitchen and bathrooms but bank would not pay as it foreclosed. Buyer got it for $220K under market value if it was rehabbed to area standards. $60K and it would be turn key updated to todays codes and style to fit the area (Toluca lake)

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
Don't rehab, just turn it into a meth lab and wear a hazmat suit. Shake that money maker:hmm

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
I just finished this house that every room was set up with hydroponics and ventilation....every room. There also was a fire from the grow lights that burnt up into the roof and fried some trusses that we had to get a structural engineer give us a fix and cert when it was done. We even had a program from the Discovery channel come out and do a show at the house. You would have never known what was going on inside from the looks of the outside. Here's the house.

http://www.nuffsaidenterprises.com/10335-w-robin-ln-in-peoria/1110

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

I'm not the pot guy but I would really appreciate having free power.

phuggit

Reaction score
Buy it, insure it then burn it...$$$$:O

Droidage.....

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
IMO, it all depends on how good of a deal you could get it for. Mike Holmes has a couple shows where he renovates some houses that have been used for grow homes in Canada. One of them the people went through the foundation and tapped into the main power line to steal power. He talked alot about the possible fines for doing that, pretty steap.

catman-do

Winter sux, lets golf!
Reaction score
We did one where they were only using one of the bedrooms, and it was not bad. However, I dont believe they were growing for long, so the humidity in the house did not seem to have stayed high for a long period of time. Studs were all fine, rock was replaced in the bedroom and the bathroom that backed up to it. Electrical was a nightmare.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have done this multiple times.

Studs and framing often come moldy from the lumber yard. Lumber yard mold is typically harmless and not on the toxic list that hygienists care about.

You have the right idea though, keep removing drywall until you get to where the fungal contamination stops, then go 2 feet further. I noticed that in Canada they seem to use poly sheet plastic in the walls. :headscratch: I can't figure that out. A vapor retarder is a good idea, a vapor barrier is just asking for trouble. The moisture needs to equalize or else it will condense and cause mold growth.

Drywall is fairly cheap, labor to scrub and sand studs is fairly cheap. If you can get the house at a good price, then I wouldn't be afraid of it as a project.

Man---->mold remediator, among other things<------delon

DtB

Reaction score
Would scare the shit outta me -seems like you would have to do whatever the building dept says to make it habitable again. Looking at pictures wouldn't do it for me yellow boat did some in Sacramento.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
You have the right idea though, keep removing drywall until you get to where the fungal contamination stops, then go 2 feet further. I noticed that in Canada they seem to use poly sheet plastic in the walls. :headscratch: I can't figure that out. A vapor retarder is a good idea, a vapor barrier is just asking for trouble. The moisture needs to equalize or else it will condense and cause mold growth.

I would be happy to explain how vapor barriers work to you one day. lol!

Houses with lousy vapor barriers (contractors who didn't seal the outer walls properly) pay a multiple of the heating costs compared to homes with proper vapor barriers.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Its obviously different there than here.

Tyvek or stucco wrap, like we use, allows moisture to move through it at a molecular level, but straight poly sheeting like you wacky canatards use seems to just stop any vapor transfer and have water condense on it, no?

Of course our average temperature is like 72*.......:cool: