WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 290 Open Bow Questions

fastenuff3

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. When looking around for a brand new build, and dropping that kind of money for one, I don't see how someone could be comfortable knowing these issues happened. Even if they addressed them and even if you don't drive like an asshole. Will look more at Howard and Nordic.

Cheers,

SHEP
I have a 2008 290 with a 600. I don't know were all the stories are coming from. these people telling the stories about the problems off 290s are all here say. we tube and ski you can drive the boat one handed at 90 and don't have any handling issues at all. I did put a drive spacer in because x was way to high and you could not put people in open bow. I think a lot of people don't have a clue on how a boat should handle. the guy I bought it from had it 8 years and did not know transom was riding higher than the bow. when I got it you had to go 55 just to cruise now I can run as slow as 30. the 270 is not even close to the 290. 290 much bigger and heavier also we boat at lake of Ozarks this boat crushes waves.my nephew has a 28 Nordic heat and it does not ride half as good as the hallett. you can contact me if you want for real advice from somebody that has one instead of all the stories being told by people that don't have one

fastenuff3

Reaction score
I have a 2008 290 with a 600. I don't know were all the stories are coming from. these people telling the stories about the problems off 290s are all here say. we tube and ski you can drive the boat one handed at 90 and don't have any handling issues at all. I did put a drive spacer in because x was way to high and you could not put people in open bow. I think a lot of people don't have a clue on how a boat should handle. the guy I bought it from had it 8 years and did not know transom was riding higher than the bow. when I got it you had to go 55 just to cruise now I can run as slow as 30. the 270 is not even close to the 290. 290 much bigger and heavier also we boat at lake of Ozarks this boat crushes waves.my nephew has a 28 Nordic heat and it does not ride half as good as the hallett. you can contact me if you want for real advice from somebody that has one instead of all the stories being told by people that don't have one
I forgot to tell you that a 28 howard will fit inside of my 290 and will not cut the ruff water

SoCalDave

Reaction score
taking the 210 out to mead today...now that I got it to stop bouncing across the lake, I was able to lower the bimini top a foot

View attachment 652364 View attachment 652365 View attachment 652366

Steve, I like the way the bimini sets now that you lowered it. I looked at lowering by bimini once before and thought the rear facing pole would have to go higher on the main forward beam which in turn would change some angles. Was yours just a simple cut off the main upright and refasten? I need some feedback please.

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
I get all that and have no doubt Nordic has fixed any and all issues with the 290. My point is, even if they did just knowing there were these problems doesn't make me feel comfortable as it'll always be in the back of my head. When dropping that much money for a new build I don't want any hesitations.
I have a 290 V2D bottom with a 525hp. That hull has never had a problem. They paid somebody to design it. It is badass. I'm not trying to brag and I'm sure I'm not the most amazing driver. I have been in some ruff water and never had a scare. It cuts super hard and never chimed or acted unstable. I have done 65mph 3'-4' water with no issue. In rough water it runs away from my buddies 270's with 525's. They porpus and stuff. Dave tested a 290. Read the article.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have a 290 V2D bottom with a 525hp. That hull has never had a problem. They paid somebody to design it. It is badass. I'm not trying to brag and I'm sure I'm not the most amazing driver. I have been in some ruff water and never had a scare. It cuts super hard and never chimed or acted unstable. I have done 65mph 3'-4' water with no issue. In rough water it runs away from my buddies 270's with 525's. They porpus and stuff. Dave tested a 290. Read the article.

I posted it in on the first page of this thread.

FYI 27's do not porpoise and stuff.

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score
I posted it in on the first page of this thread.

FYI 27's do not porpoise and stuff.
My buddies does. He has the stepped bottom. The trim is very sensitive on it. Maybe he needs to have drive spacers put in. My other buddy with same 270 w/ 525 hit the same wave I did at desert storm and my boat went straight through it and his boat rocked so hard he put his elbow through the side window.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
My buddies does. He has the stepped bottom. The trim is very sensitive on it. Maybe he needs to have drive spacers put in. My other buddy with same 270 w/ 525 hit the same wave I did at desert storm and my boat went straight through it and his boat rocked so hard he put his elbow through the side window.

Don't take this wrong or that I am trying to be rude. Not knowing your buddies boats exact drive heights, tabs, props etc I can't helpfully comment. I have spent many many hours behind the wheel of many different 27's. They are not the fastest, but rough water wave crushing is what they do very well. They are also very predictable. I want to say your buddies may just need someone in the boat to give them a little guidance.

I used to build and drag Mustangs when I was younger. I could get into a car I had never driven and run faster than some owners on the first pass. Mainly because I had an idea of what the car could do, can't do, or shouldn't do.

Boats are the same. What works well in one boat, could be completely wrong in something else.

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
Don't take this wrong or that I am trying to be rude. Not knowing your buddies boats exact drive heights, tabs, props etc I can't helpfully comment. I have spent many many hours behind the wheel of many different 27's. They are not the fastest, but rough water wave crushing is what they do very well. They are also very predictable. I want to say your buddies may just need someone in the boat to give them a little guidance.

I used to build and drag Mustangs when I was younger. I could get into a car I had never driven and run faster than some owners on the first pass. Mainly because I had an idea of what the car could do, can't do, or shouldn't do.

Boats are the same. What works well in one boat, could be completely wrong in something else.
my 270 went thru the gorge during desert storm "rush hour" like it was nothing and I unfortunately was on my knees in the mid cabin doubled over in pain from a medical problem and had no problem keeping my balance. 270 straight bottom merc 500HP

HOTRODTODD111

Reaction score

I didn't take it that way. I'm just saying what I have experienced with my buddies boats. They are still great boats. I'm sure some of it is driver error. I'm just stating the little bit of knowledge I have and comparing it to the way my 290 is. I would like to have a more experienced driver in my boat and see if I can do things better.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. When looking around for a brand new build, and dropping that kind of money for one, I don't see how someone could be comfortable knowing these issues happened. Even if they addressed them and even if you don't drive like an asshole. Will look more at Howard and Nordic.

Cheers,

SHEP

All brands have issues. I have a Howard that I have not solved yet.
Never had an issue with my 210 or 255

Last edited:

Runs2rch

Reaction score
my 270 went thru the gorge during desert storm "rush hour" like it was nothing and I unfortunately was o
my 270 went thru the gorge during desert storm "rush hour" like it was nothing and I unfortunately was on my knees in the mid cabin doubled over in pain from a medical problem and had no problem keeping my balance. 270 straight bottom merc 500HP

Is that boat still for sale?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Hahahaha, yep. Thought about it long and hard. It will probably be sold by the end of the weekend.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sold to you? The 22 howard is sweet, but it can't compare to a 27 for room, and the ease on the mind of never having to worry about the wind or how rough. You could sell for 35k. Be out 10k for that 27. Or Less maybe?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Sold to you? The 22 howard is sweet, but it can't compare to a 27 for room, and the ease on the mind of never having to worry about the wind or how rough. You could sell for 35k. Be out 10k for that 27. Or Less maybe?
No not me, but 2 board members are looking at it. Think I would rather hold onto the $10k right now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Steve, I like the way the bimini sets now that you lowered it. I looked at lowering by bimini once before and thought the rear facing pole would have to go higher on the main forward beam which in turn would change some angles. Was yours just a simple cut off the main upright and refasten? I need some feedback please.
I didn't cut anything... I just lowered the mount....that way I have 2 different mounting heights...