WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hallett 290 Open Bow Questions

SHEP

Reaction score
I remember reading some time ago that the 290 had some handling issues. It would lay over on one side or the other and was a white knuckle ride. Was that corrected? Did Nordic address it?

Anyone have a newer one with some experience? If so, what motor package?

Thanks,

SHEP

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The addressed it with the new V2D bottom. It wasn’t leaning to one side or anything.. A couple of them threw occupants out of the boat under an emergency or hard turning situation.

So long as you drive the boat within their limits they aren’t bad.

I still maintain the idea that if it says Hallett in the side and has a step bottom (V2D is the exception) you don’t want it.. Which is ironic because I have a twin step 270. Lol

Last edited:

SHEP

Reaction score
The addressed it with the new V2D bottom. It wasn’t leaning to one side or anything.. A couple of them threw occupants out of the boat under an emergency or hard turning situation.

I still maintain the idea that if it says Hallett in the side and has a step bottom (V2D is the exception) you don’t want it.. Which is ir Nice because I have a twin step 270. Lol

That's what it was, I didn't remember it correctly. Thanks!!

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

I still maintain the idea that if it says Hallett in the side and has a step bottom (V2D is the exception) you don’t want it.. Which is ir Nice because I have a twin step 270. Lol

This is good to know RD, thanks. Any other pearls of boat-buying wisdom you care to share with us?

I know you and others have done that but maybe you'll want to add a thread or something similar re: boat/powerplant/drive buying tips that all members could reference? Hey - a reference section!

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score

I disagree. . .

SoCalDave

Reaction score
This is good to know RD, thanks. Any other pearls of boat-buying wisdom you care to share with us?

I know you and others have done that but maybe you'll want to add a thread or something similar re: boat/powerplant/drive buying tips that all members could reference? Hey - a reference section!
^^ x2

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
What I've found,... either there are a bunch of people out there that own halletts that don't know the difference... or won't tell the truth...most wanna have a halllett in their garage and tell everyone how bad ass it is... whether it is or not..and that goes for all Halletts...most Halletts can be made to perform awesome... but because of the ,"This is what Hallett said to do" and "this is the prop Hallett said to run" the boats come up short... and you can add 27' fountains to that pile...the 290 is is just a 270 with a fucked up bottom..but it is evolution....so far... nothing is better than the OG straight bottom 270 Hallett...not the fastest though... the 270 Hallett is a big heavy boat... power to power it can't compete with a 27' Baja...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

I still maintain the idea that if it says Hallett in the side and has a step bottom (V2D is the exception) you don’t want it.. Which is ironic because I have a twin step 270. Lol
Dave, I really wish I could have drug your ass out for an RDP boat evaluation of how that 270 performed when I got it...LOL... of coarse ,.. I would have watched from the beach....I'm gonna quote Bob leach about the way 27' fountain performed.... He said... when it got up to 70... it started searching..pause...for a place to crash....lol.. I will say this though.. now, that 270 with the twins... pretty cool nice riding boat. plenty of power...

Runs2rch

Reaction score
What I've found,... either there are a bunch of people out there that own halletts that don't know the difference... or won't tell the truth...most wanna have a halllett in their garage and tell everyone how bad ass it is... whether it is or not..and that goes for all Halletts...most Halletts can be made to perform awesome... but because of the ,"This is what Hallett said to do" and "this is the prop Hallett said to run" the boats come up short... and you can add 27' fountains to that pile...the 290 is is just a 270 with a fucked up bottom..but it is evolution....so far... nothing is better than the OG straight bottom 270 Hallett...not the fastest though... the 270 Hallett is a big heavy boat... power to power it can't compete with a 27' Baja...

The new 29 is nothing like a 27. Two completely different boats.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
The new 29 is nothing like a 27. Two completely different boats.
I rode in the original bottom 29 at Desert Storm, 2014. Modest power. The thing would for no reason, catch a chine and abruptly list to one side at speed. Not fun.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Where does this non sense come from? The only two Hallett's I have been in that did not feel stable to me was the 245 and the 360. They seemed to lean into whichever way you were turning.
there's a lot of wrong propped halletts running around...and other weird deals... I bought a 270 step bottom,... boat rode real nice at mead... but I never took it out in ruff water... sold it to rvlvr, we're out at havasu in some pretty ruff ass water.. boat was horrible.. couldn't get it to take a set... bouncing every where.... I'm like WTF did you do?? he say nothing, it's exzact how he bought it.... head scratcher.... so before I know it... he sold it to 270. here on the boards... he gets it and say's WTF, somethings not right...keep in mind this is how the boat was from the day it was built...now... he takes it to his boat guy.... seems that they put the drive spacers that go on bravo threes on the bravo 1... he takes them out.... bamm… badest mo fo on the water... same with Daves 270...they put those same spacers...they put the drive out too far and you can't get the trim right for a nice ride in the ruff water..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I rode in the original bottom 29 at Desert Storm, 2014. Modest power. The thing would for no reason, catch a chine and abruptly list to one side at speed. Not fun.
where do you come up with this shit... did anyone in the boat know how to drive....

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I thought the one 290 was a molded swim step 270 with the same bottom..

Original 29 was a vented twin step. The new V2D bottom is a Michael Peters creation. Military roots.

upload_2018-6-7_8-40-1.jpeg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
where do you come up with this shit... did anyone in the boat know how to drive....

Exactly. So many variables. I could take you out in a Mustang, have some fun. Ohhhhh my god the mustang can't get traction!!! It's so scary!!!

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Exactly. So many variables. I could take you out in a Mustang, have some fun. Ohhhhh my god the mustang can't get traction!!! It's so scary!!!
lol.... I was quoting what jerry told me..

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Since I’m not an asshole, I don’t typically tell owners of tboats how to drive. Only The occasional few times I’ve felt endangered. But a 29 foot V bottom should not do that at cruising speeds.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Since I’m not an asshole, I don’t typically tell owners of tboats how to drive. Only The occasional few times I’ve felt endangered. But a 29 foot V bottom should not do that at cruising speeds.

Anytime I have been in a boat with an inexperienced driver and feel they need a little help I just give them a few pointers. Tab, trim, reading the water.

So many people do not know how to read the water. Rough water, boat wakes, etc. Or how there boat reacts to all different driver inputs.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I knew you'd come around,... now you are asking me out on a date... what kind of fun are we gonna have???

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Anytime I have been in a boat with an inexperienced driver and feel they need a little help I just give them a few pointers. Tab, trim, reading the water.

So many people do not know how to read the water. Rough water, boat wakes, etc. Or how there boat reacts to all different driver inputs.
This boat had a Bravo 3.
This particular weekend I was the invitee and took advantage of not being the designated driver. Just tried to enjoy myself and not be the know it all. Figured not too much could happen at 50MPH.

SHEP

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. When looking around for a brand new build, and dropping that kind of money for one, I don't see how someone could be comfortable knowing these issues happened. Even if they addressed them and even if you don't drive like an asshole. Will look more at Howard and Nordic.

Cheers,

SHEP

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback. When looking around for a brand new build, and dropping that kind of money for one, I don't see how someone could be comfortable knowing these issues happened. Even if they addressed them and even if you don't drive like an asshole. Will look more at Howard and Nordic.

Cheers,

SHEP

There are not any issues. The 29 with the V2D bottom is bad ass. I have driven a few different setups is many different water conditions. The 600 boat was sweet, The 520 boat ran really well. Was surprised how well with mild power. The 300 Verado build was beyond smooth. If you want a roomy boat, watersports, and rough water capability you can't go wrong.

A 27 or 29 LaveyCraft would be another great choice.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
it's a whole different world at lake mead,... boats don't have to ride to good to go from winsor to the channel and sit all day.... at mead you actually go boating....lol

Amen. Mead can throw some shit at you quick. Up across from Echo about 10 years ago in a 22 Cole Skier. Not mine. I was skippering a friends boat. I see the weather coming. Tell everyone to get in. They all lag say what are you talking about looks fine blah blah blah. Get The FFFF in the boat now!!!

Long story short Only time in my entire life I thought I was going to sink a boat. Piece of shit Cole.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Cheers,

SHEP

Nordic bought Hallett and I’m quite sure isnin process of fixing a lot of those things. They completely retooled the bottom of the last 40 they built because they weren’t satisfied with the handling. Boat went from white knuckling at 80’s to one hand on the wheel and hamboning at 115

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Looks good! Flip up nav light would go a long way. Also GO KNIGHTS!!!!
I got one... just need to install it,... I also got a drive shower and a new steering wheel....stop by and you can show me how to install them...I have beer,... who could change out my rub rail to stainless...

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I got one... just need to install it,... I also got a drive shower and a new steering wheel....stop by and you can show me how to install them...I have beer,... who could change out my rub rail to stainless...

I'll be up on Tuesday. Have to do a complete service on the 33. You can do the rub rail. Not super hard, just time consuming.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
oop's forgot the LOL... I was quoting what jerry told me about the same experience I had...he said it was because I don't know how to drive the boat...lol... not directed at you..peace brother...

SHEP

Reaction score
Nordic bought Hallett and I’m quite sure isnin process of fixing a lot of those things. They completely retooled the bottom of the last 40 they built because they weren’t satisfied with the handling. Boat went from white knuckling at 80’s to one hand on the wheel and hamboning at 115

I get all that and have no doubt Nordic has fixed any and all issues with the 290. My point is, even if they did just knowing there were these problems doesn't make me feel comfortable as it'll always be in the back of my head. When dropping that much money for a new build I don't want any hesitations.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I'll be up on Tuesday. Have to do a complete service on the 33. You can do the rub rail. Not super hard, just time consuming.
I did it on my 270... before I was done said never again

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I get all that and have no doubt Nordic has fixed any and all issues with the 290. My point is, even if they did just knowing there were these problems doesn't make me feel comfortable as it'll always be in the back of my head. When dropping that much money for a new build I don't want any hesitations.
go drive one...
Amen. Mead can throw some shit at you quick. Up across from Echo about 10 years ago in a 22 Cole Skier. Not mine. I was skippering a friends boat. I see the weather coming. Tell everyone to get in. They all lag say what are you talking about looks fine blah blah blah. Get The FFFF in the boat now!!!

Long story short Only time in my entire life I thought I was going to sink a boat. Piece of shit Cole.
when the water goes from blue to jade...shits gonna get real...

MrMayhem

Reaction score
oop's forgot the LOL... I was quoting what jerry told me about the same experience I had...he said it was because I don't know how to drive the boat...lol... not directed at you..peace brother...

Haha. Thanks bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score

The 29 never had any issues!!!!! They spent almost a half million for Michael Peters to design/build the bottom.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I did it on my 270... before I was done said never again

I have done so many jobs like that. Then I talk myself into it again, then realize wtf is wrong with you dumbass.