WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Had to pull dads car keys yesterday.

PlanB

Reaction score
I took my mom's keys away not too long ago. We did not even know she had dementia. We got a call from a friend at the vet's office that she was sitting in the parking lot at 0400 and they don't open till 0800. When I questioned her about it she made zero sense as to why she was sitting there. She had been forgetful, but I had no idea how much it had progressed in a short period of time. When I took her keys I found a cashiers check for 65K in her purse. She had pulled it from her bank account for no reason and was driving around with it for months. Now a year later she does not know who I am.

DC-88

Reaction score
He’s done, I’m not gonna torture him by making him think he’s gotta shot. Only time he’ll be driving anything from now on is out in the desert offroad with no one around for miles 😂
No bs, my little sister turned my 81 y.o. Mom in to DMV close to her renewal last month . She is slow onset and is being very difficult in all areas . Mom, who has 100 post it sticky tabs stuck all over the house to remember her every move , hired the "Tres Martin" for old people and barely passed including the written where her notes we found laid out on the kitchen table were like " stop at the green light when making a left turn " 😂.... Yes this shit exists lmao . I have to hand it to her though for digging in , unsafe at any speed as it continues to be .

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
No bs, my little sister turned my 81 y.o. Mom in to DMV close to her renewal last month . She is slow onset and is being very difficult in all areas . Mom, who has 100 post it sticky tabs stuck all over the house to remember her every move , hired the "Tres Martin" for old people and barely passed including the written where her notes we found laid out on the kitchen table were like " stop at the green light when making a left turn " 😂.... Yes this shit exists lmao . I have to hand it to her though for digging in , unsafe at any speed as it continues to be .
I can’t in good faith have this guy out driving around in a 6000lbs 400hp SUV anymore. If he hits the wrong pedal and takes out someone’s family I’d have a real hard time living with myself knowing it could have been avoided. I’m glad he got his ticket pulled and in a very uneventful way. I’ve been picking him up and hanging out more, so maybe it’s a blessing in disguise.

endobear

Reaction score
It would be cool if you posted up old pix of your pops racing back in the day.
20230404_170518.jpg
20230404_182637.jpg
20230404_181848.jpg
20230404_183916.jpg
20230404_192356.jpg

I'll have to dig some more out.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
I keep thinking this is around the corner.. my dad is 89. Still drives his motorhome all over and still drives back and forth from Big Bear to his Boat in Long Beach 🥴

So far he’s fine, but we keep tabs on him.. he’s not ready to give up yet.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
My parents both passed early from illness, did not have to deal with it. Sadly in our small town with a family run dealership, I get involved way more than I care to. Lady up the street was 99 and her son had us disable the car so it would not start. Just had a 40 year customer put his car in the ditch, then drive 18 miles on a rim with no tire. The car was totaled. I helped the daughter get the Chief of Police challenge his license. He had to go to the DMV and take a road test. Thank god they pulled his license before he killed someone. Tough thing to do, but you don’t want to live with knowing they took someone’s life.

Last edited:

Cray Paper

Reaction score
My dad is 78 and soon to be 79. He is not what he used to be mentally and I have been concerned with having to deal with pulling the car keys as well as a different home environment for him and my mom for a while. Last week I went over and fixed a plumbing leak and had to make a run to the store. My dad insisted he drive and I was very observant. He is still a better driver than the general public, and being behind the wheel he seemed to be so lucid and fluid.

At home, not so much. Taking the keys away and or the house he has owned since 1968 in Kirkland WA is going to be rough and I am not looking forward to it. It isn't time yet though.

My dad almost ran over Mike Holgrem back in the late 1990's in a shopping center in Kirkland. I vividly remember that conversation right after it happened, he was so proud of the dent Mike's fist put in the hood of his POS 74 Chevy truck. I bought him a newer truck a couple of years later with the agreement I got his POS. My mom (and their neighbors) were so happy that thing was gone. Me and one of my brothers had put a Target 350 new engine it a couple of years earlier...my dad insisted he was their when I sold his old truck and he spent an hour talking to the new owner.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
My Pops is 91 . . . fortunately he gets that he's not as sharp as he once was, and he doesn't wanna deal with (in his words) "all the asshole drivers these days"!!! 🤣
So I take him wherever he wants to go, whenever he wants.
He'll still drives to get gas . . and his haircut which is right around the corner, . . free's him up a little, & he likes doing the barber shop man-session once a month or so. 🤘🇺🇲
He goes during mellow traffic hours.

I'm glad he doesn't fight me on it . . . makes it easier on both of us. 🙏🙏🙏

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
He says he had a Greeves at one time and it was a pile of crap.
Growing up we had an old Villiers /Greeves that was named the Fanny-B To this day I have no idea why it was called that. your dad might remember Billy Barkfeather.

endobear

Reaction score
Growing up we had an old Villiers /Greeves that was named the Fanny-B To this day I have no idea why it was called that. your dad might remember Billy Barkfeather.
I'll have to ask. Good chance he does.

16960410718368485935808590521697.jpg
16960411028377814449110085980107.jpg
16960411396344173475137509183501.jpg
16960411682978162808075824318083.jpg
Dad was born in Taft. My grandfather raced dirt track..Dad raced everything with wheels. Ascott and Riverside were his local tracks.
He quit racing seriously in the late 70s. Moved away from California in 1980 and mostly gave up racing..
Some posters I found looking around tonight.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I want to comment so bad on this post and what I am dealing with currently with my 80 year old dad with dementia and physical ailments but I really don’t know where to start
… Just start… It will flow👍… my dad was a… occupation… he retired… about when.., you started noticing the dementia???… something like that…
… bunch of people here will help you through it…

Last edited:

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I want to comment so bad on this post and what I am dealing with currently with my 80 year old dad with dementia and physical ailments but I really don’t know where to start
Let it rip, this is real shit and it helps to know others are dealing with the same thing. I’ve got my wife doing meal preps for him now and also have meals on wheels drop off a hot lunch daily, he loves both of those setups, told me it’s pretty cool to not worry about that stuff anymore LOL

Yesterday I picked up my pops and brought him by my new project to see the progress. He knows I’ve got some stuff going on but doesn’t quite get it yet. Each time he sees it he asks about the equipment that I told him is coming, right now it’s empty space and I’m not sure he fully gets what's coming. He asked me to take him to the bank so he could get some cash, I didn’t go in with him. It didn’t take too long and he was able to get his transaction handled, I’m monitoring him to see how independent he really is and trying to keep an eye out to make sure we’re not progressing into something more than MCI. Time will tell, I’m hopeful he can stay in his house and independent for a long time 🤞I’ve let his sisters know what’s up and they have been visiting, you never know tomorrow he could wake up and not know any of us 🤷‍♂️