WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Guess I'm old as dirt.

4Waters

Reaction score
Who else on here is old as dirt. This is back when Big Mac's, Double Doubles and the Big Boy were big.
Screenshot_20171214-184706.jpg

4Waters

Reaction score
I remember when the Big Macs were wrapped in a red foillike wrapper with a circular piece of thick paper around it to keep the burger from sliding apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I very very vaguely remember that.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
I remember eating out of those foam containers at Micky D's in Redding that was a "test" franchise about 1976...

cofooter

Reaction score
I remember when the Big Macs were wrapped in a red foillike wrapper with a circular piece of thick paper around it to keep the burger from sliding apart.

Yep

Mr.Puck

Reaction score

I remember those, and them switching to the styrofoam boxes when I was a kid, and all of us trying to figure out a use for them when we were done instead of throwing them away.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Seems like there was a cardboard box before then, or perhaps just a paper wrapper?

Yep..fast food prices in the old days.
When I was a senior at David Starr Jordan in Long Beach, back in 1975-6 I had it made for lunch. :D
Three Hispanic sisters, all in their 40's, owned a Taco Bell on Artesia Blvd. just down the street from the Atlantic Ave campus.
All three ladies drove brand new Cadillac Coupe DeVilles. They had other business interests as well, I think a couple more Taco Bell stores...
I had two jobs in high school, one I worked at an ARCO station at Orange and Market; we had one self serve and one full serve island. We were the cheapest station in the area, and I had a deal with the ladies. They pulled to the self serve pump in the evening when we were slow and I would give them full service on their cars. Got to where they had me doing oil changes too. They paid for those, and always gave me a 10 buck tip for the oil changes. I was making about $2 an hour, so that was a good tip.
In turn, I ate for free at their Taco Bell. 17 cent Burrito Supremes, Encharitos, etc. They were about twice the size of today's crap, and tasted dang near home made.
I tried not to ht them every day, usually just a couple times a week, but one of them had a very, very, nice looking daughter who graduated a year ahead of me, and they were working hard to set me up, LOL.
She was cute, and I was tempted, but Cindy and I were already hooked up.
I was a good boy, LOL.
Often wonder what happened to those ladies, they were very nice to me, and when I told them I was heading north after graduation, and wouldn't be able to do the service on the cars anymore, all three of them cried, told me they would miss me, etc.

So you ain't the only old man around here.

Hullbilly

Reaction score

My dad was at the opening of the Des Planes McD’s in 1955 he lived a few blocks away. Thats vintage....I only enjoyed about 10 years of styrofoam!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
The owner of Juan Pollo has built a small museum at 14th and E in San Bernardino, the site of the first Mc Donalds that opened in 1940. I vaguely remember that building, but by that time it was called the "Big M" I believe, and an other McDonalds was up the street a block or so.

cole_skier

Reaction score
I remember eating out of those foam containers at Micky D's in Redding that was a "test" franchise about 1976...

I dated the Redding McDonalds franchise owners daughter for a few years in the late 70s early 80s.

charlyox

Reaction score
I worked at McDonalds in high school when Big Macs were 55 cents. Early 70’s.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Here is one , Pup n Taco. I remember on friday night before the football games the 6 tacos or 6 chilie dogs for a buck. that was 1977

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
The 1st McDonalds franchise stores came to Houston around 1972. There was a local chain called McDonalds that had to be bought out to allow them in.....

Growing up in MI, I remember the originals prior to Big Macs being added. We ate the single burgers which sold for $.15 each. Shakes and fries and 3-4 burgers was a typical meal.

Shame how they advertise products which are nothing like the pictures and adds. Terrible how the buns and english muffins are smaller versions of what was.....

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I remember when McDonalds food was fresh cooked and tasted good.
They no longer even have a grill (flattop).

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
The Downey store was built before the Santa Ana store in 1953. Oldest one still standing.
Lol....I was just gonna say...wasn't the OG McDs in Downey on Florence/Lakewood? It figures your old ass would know that. :D

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Here is one , Pup n Taco. I remember on friday night before the football games the 6 tacos or 6 chilie dogs for a buck. that was 1977
Holy shit.....I was just gonna ask if anyone remembered Pup n Taco too.....guess I'm too late to this parade. Lol...:D

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
My Mom used to drive us there from Tustin when we were young. Only one around, mid to late 60's
I worked at the Tustin one in '72 before dirt was invented!!!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I remember when only guys worked at mcds.

Taboma

Reaction score
I worked at the Tustin one in '72 before dirt was invented!!!

I must respectfully disagree ;) We moved to North Tustin from Santa Ana in the mid-50's. There was lots of dirt, as far as the eye could see and in that dirt were beautiful, fragrant orange trees :) It was an amazing place to grow up, but it didn't take long and the trees and dirt were replaced with homes and concrete. But, there was that Dairy Queen a block away from Tustin HS, the Taquitos there were to die for :D

nowski

Reaction score
We use to ride our bikes to this McDonald's in Downey when growing up. The oldest operating McDonald's and the second in the franchise. The story I remember about this Downey location was McDonald's corporation didn't have complete control of this franchise and wanted to modernize it. The franchise owners fought the McDonald's corporation and won. The McDonald's Corporation was so pissed they literally built a new McDonald's right down the street to try to run the older McDonald's out of business we know who won that battle...
Old Mcdonalds.jpg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Downey McDonalds at Florence and Lakewood was our high school hangout. I can recall the 15 cent hamburgers when we first moved to Downey. Lots of good times and memories there.

Believe it was the 3rd McDonalds, about 1954. Had a friend who's father owned the property it was built on. The first McDonalds was in San Bernardino.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree ;) We moved to North Tustin from Santa Ana in the mid-50's. There was lots of dirt, as far as the eye could see and in that dirt were beautiful, fragrant orange trees :) It was an amazing place to grow up, but it didn't take long and the trees and dirt were replaced with homes and concrete. But, there was that Dairy Queen a block away from Tustin HS, the Taquitos there were to die for :D

Orange groves as far as the eye could see. This reminded me of my Great Grandpa who owned a few and his stories were awesome. We kids always laughed at that line but man I miss hearing it. Thanks for that.

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
Shit....I not only remember that box I remember when the Big Mac was intorduced:p

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I noticed lately McDonalds TV ads stress their Jobs are starter first jobs.
Theme being nothing to support a family on.

DC-88

Reaction score
I think the Filet O' Fish was in a blue one like that. There's a vague 6th grade memory with some buddies on our bikes of putting dog shit in one with a lit M-60 and ding dong ditching an asshole neighbor who used to chase us out of his culdesac for building jumps in the vacant lot next door....

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I remember when Knotts was a working farm.
All the Chicken Dinner restaurant food was made fresh in the kitchens.
Now it’s all canned and pre frozen off site by vendors.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We use to ride our bikes to this McDonald's in Downey when growing up. The oldest operating McDonald's and the second in the franchise. The story I remember about this Downey location was McDonald's corporation didn't have complete control of this franchise and wanted to modernize it. The franchise owners fought the McDonald's corporation and won. The McDonald's Corporation was so pissed they literally built a new McDonald's right down the street to try to run the older McDonald's out of business we know who won that battle... View attachment 607954

Watch the movie "The Founder" about Ray Kroch and the McDonald brothers.

The corporate restaurant #1 was in Des Plains, IL. It is now somewhat if museum and is threatened to be torn down.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Old enough to remember when their food taste good. Back when they actually cooked something there,
Before the pre cooked steam heated well done crap today.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Old enough to remember when their food taste good. Back when they actually cooked something there,
Before the pre cooked steam heated well done crap today.

News release earlier this year that 15 NYC McDonalds will be installing flat tops and experimenting cooking their burgers fresh.
Chains no longer care about quality.
Even In n Out changed their taste about 7 years ago.
Less fat cuts of meat, less fat and salt dressing, removed the sodium and went with a different seasoning.
Nothing like it was when the old man ran it.

Last edited:

stoker

Reaction score
Watch the movie "The Founder" about Ray Kroch and the McDonald brothers.

The corporate restaurant #1 was in Des Plains, IL. It is now somewhat if museum and is threatened to be torn down.

That is a good movie. The first McDonalds was built on E street in San Bernardino. My grandfather owned a couple of car dealerships on E during the same time and was friends with the brothers.

Taboma

Reaction score

In the late 50's early 60's was our regular hang out for fried chicken dinners. Then after dinner we'd walk around the place -- for FREE !!!

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I'll bet you're not the only one on here that remembers that.......one in particular comes to mind :)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
In the late 50's early 60's was our regular hang out for fried chicken dinners. Then after dinner we'd walk around the place -- for FREE !!!
When I was a kid they had an observatory.
I thought it the coolest thing at the farm. Really well done.
The old man had a real imagination for unique amusements and a great sense of humor.

They had a boxing museum there too.
Walter Knott was a die hard Cassius Clay fan. Had bought all his Olympic gear, shorts, shirts, gloves and shoes on display as well as from other boxing greats. You could reach out and tough this stuff.
They had a huge walk-in beehive that had glass interior walls that was amazing to walk through.
It really was something else.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
At one time Guiness actually had the train at Knott's listed as "the most robbed train in the world". Go figure.

nameisbond

Reaction score
At one time Guiness actually had the train at Knott's listed as "the most robbed train in the world". Go figure.

The Guinness family developed a huge real estate development here called The British Properties. Up until the 1960's you couldn't transfer title to non whites and jews too.....

Cool thing McDonalds sells big mac sauce in our grocery stores now.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The ironic thing about the Guinness family in Vancouver. They built the Lionsgate bridge too keep non whites and Jews out of their side of Vancouver. The same bridge that Lionsgate Entertainment is named after......