Reaction score
100_2544.jpg

lucky

Reaction score
well at least that one does over 55 lmao :D

Ratso

Reaction score
well at least that one does over 55 lmao :D

Hey Lucky... you ever see the pic of my buds Glastron Intimidator that'll run triple digits?:thumbsup

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Hey Lucky... you ever see the pic of my buds Glastron Intimidator that'll run triple digits?:thumbsup

Got a pic for us.... :D Not that brown colored Carlson is it?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

I'd like to talk to your buddy. I'm particularly curious about high speed handling with a heavy lump of car engine and stern drive at the stern.

My CVX-16 handles better with a lighter stern but it's so touchy at high speed I almost never take it there.

I'd appreciate it if you'd pass my number to your bud or pass your bud's number to me. There aren't many people who have experience with the CVX hull beyond 70 mph.

Devilman

Reaction score
Tom, do you know if this is the boat Ratso was referring to? Pretty sure this is a buddy of his, I sure dig this boat... :cool:

Attachments

• badglastron.jpg
    badglastron.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,132

Ratso

Reaction score
Got a pic for us.... :D Not that brown colored Carlson is it?

Yeah, that's the one. We need to work on his handling issues this winter. He's building up another motor for it now.

Ratso

Reaction score
I'd like to talk to your buddy. I'm particularly curious about high speed handling with a heavy lump of car engine and stern drive at the stern.

My CVX-16 handles better with a lighter stern but it's so touchy at high speed I almost never take it there.

I'd appreciate it if you'd pass my number to your bud or pass your bud's number to me. There aren't many people who have experience with the CVX hull beyond 70 mph.

Tom, one of my favorite Glastrons in that range is the old what I call bullet shaped CVX 17. That is a very quick boat and a lot better ride than the 16. I recently saw one on ebay that went for 2600 with an older Merc on it. The largest I ever ran on one back in the day was a JohnRude 140 and it would run mid sixties and handle like a Cadillac. I always liked that hull...

Ratso

Reaction score
sad to see a classic cut up like that if you ask me.

Larry, those hulls are still fairly easy to find. Now if it was an old Scimitar, Intimidator, or something like that... then yeah, the guy should be shot...;)

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
These are such Great Old boats we have two in the family (78 CVX20's) ,always had a deep appreciation for the design and lines Tom
DSC09391.jpg

in fact the first boat we ever bought was a 14 'cv
Glastron1970s.jpg

Last edited:

Devilman

Reaction score
That's it :D

Cool frikkin boat. :thumbsup The few times I've seen it, he was always just cruising it. That sumbitch sure sounds mean though. :skull ;) There is a blue one that shows up at the lake here from time to time, never been able to check it out up close though.

The pipes coming out the back like that, that a factory deal, or something your buddy did?

Lue

Banned
Reaction score
There is an article in Powerboat mag over a Porsche Boat. The lines on it were very similar to this boat. The engine hatch is really similar to this boat. I dig the lines on it. :thumbsup

John_Simms

Reaction score
Those old Glastron's are great looking boats. I'm just not sure about the right hand drive on a jet boat though. :hmm

Ratso

Reaction score
Cool frikkin boat. :thumbsup The few times I've seen it, he was always just cruising it. That sumbitch sure sounds mean though. :skull ;) There is a blue one that shows up at the lake here from time to time, never been able to check it out up close though.

The pipes coming out the back like that, that a factory deal, or something your buddy did?

The Intimidator came from the factory like that... only like 3 inchers though, and they're aluminum. He has some 4" pipes coming out now, but still hidden under the deck. He is supposed to be building up another motor for it this winter. I was talking to him about making a pad bottom out of it and rig up some type of hydraulic steering to fix his handling issues. The way it is now, with all the power, he needs the stars aligned right to stay in it for very long lol... :D Tom might know more, but I think the stern drives were the only ones with pipes exiting the deck... whereas the 20 jets didn't have them. Definitely a classic... and definitely a sleeper...;)

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Intimidator is the only Carlson to feature the pipes.

Ratso

Reaction score
Those old Glastron's are great looking boats. I'm just not sure about the right hand drive on a jet boat though. :hmm

Glastron had more right side steering jets, but were mainly heavier boats... I never noticed any issues with the right side steering on those jets. I redid a CV23 for a friend a few years back, had a 460 Ford in it with a jet... ran 60 mph.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I redid a CV23 for a friend a few years back, had a 460 Ford in it with a jet... ran 60 mph.

Wow. That's a lot more than stock. From the factory, that setup would be expected to hit the low 40s.

He must have a K&N air filter, or something.

Devilman

Reaction score
The Intimidator came from the factory like that... only like 3 inchers though, and they're aluminum. He has some 4" pipes coming out now, but still hidden under the deck. He is supposed to be building up another motor for it this winter. I was talking to him about making a pad bottom out of it and rig up some type of hydraulic steering to fix his handling issues. The way it is now, with all the power, he needs the stars aligned right to stay in it for very long lol... :D Tom might know more, but I think the stern drives were the only ones with pipes exiting the deck... whereas the 20 jets didn't have them. Definitely a classic... and definitely a sleeper...;)

Nice. :thumbsup The blue one I mentioned is stern drive & has the pipes, that is what caught my eye. Definitely gonna have to keep an eye out for it this summer, see if I can't check it out up close & see what the story is with it.

The sleeper angle is cool. :skull Sounds like TexasJet's Baja, that there is another sleeper if there ever was one. ;) It's right-hand drive as well.

Devilman

Reaction score
Wow. That's a lot more than stock. From the factory, that setup would be expected to hit the low 40s.

Word around the campfire is chrome valve covers are good for 10-15 mph.... :hmm I know it helped me. :D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
What does it take for a 23' jet to go 60, 500 hp?

A buddy of mine had a CVX-20 jet with a built 460 that dynoed right around 550 hp. He really wanted to hit 60 mph and I don't believe he could ever quite do it.

Ratso's friend must have some big horsepower and perhaps pump improvements to hit 60 mph with the heavier 23' boat. I'm sure it can be done but it wouldn't be easy. I'd be curious to hear how he did it.

The 23 has a cabin, taller front deck, and is quite a bit heavier than the 20.

Last edited:

Ratso

Reaction score

He might have had some internal work on the motor... not sure. I know that CV23 with the 350 Chevy Stern Drive would run 55. We sold a few of those new. I'm not sure what the 460 Ford would have done with a prop. My guess would be 70ish. My Stryker runs 80 (comparable in size) with a 454 and some mild work.

Ratso

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had a CVX-20 jet with a built 460 that dynoed right around 550 hp. He really wanted to hit 60 mph and I don't believe he could ever quite do it.

Ratso's friend must have some big horsepower and perhaps pump improvements to hit 60 mph with the heavier 23' boat. I'm sure it can be done but it wouldn't be easy. I'd be curious to hear how he did it.

The 23 has a cabin, taller front deck, and is quite a bit heavier than the 20.

Tom, I need to dig up some pics of that restore job. His 460 was built up by someone else. When we redid the boat, we also did a lighter layup with all the stringers and flooring, plus at the time there was a lot of waterlogged foam in it. It would hit 60 but not a mile over it.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Indeed. It would have been interesting to see a 460 prop combination.

There were a few boats Glastron sold as either a small block stern drive or a big block jet. The small block stern drives were faster.

Ratso

Reaction score
Tom, I know there were some good and bad layups on a few of those boats. We had identical CVX 18 stern drives, one was 10 mph slower than the other... we never could figure that one out.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Tom, I need to dig up some pics of that restore job. His 460 was built up by someone else. When we redid the boat, we also did a lighter layup with all the stringers and flooring, plus at the time there was a lot of waterlogged foam in it. It would hit 60 but not a mile over it.

I've got a guy on my Carlson forums that constantly rags on the 460 engine, making out like nobody who runs a Ford can make it from the launch ramp to the beach without blowing up. He's a die hard Chevy guy.

The only problems I ever hear about with the big block Ford jet is water leaks with rotted out timing chain covers and exhaust. They seem to be a pretty stout engine that lasts forever.

I wouldn't brag about the BBF jet's fuel efficiency, though. :D

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I'd like to talk to your buddy. I'm particularly curious, but it's so touchy at high speed I almost never take it there.

I'd appreciate it if you'd pass my number to your bud or pass your bud's number to me.
Wow, and I thought Byron's post was gay :smackhead

:p

blowncvx20

Reaction score
Tom, do you know if this is the boat Ratso was referring to? Pretty sure this is a buddy of his, I sure dig this boat... :cool:

Yep, thats me for sure in my boat. Pic was taken a few years ago out on the North Bosque River above Lake Waco. Thanks Ratso for telling me about this website. Could not remember what the other one was. :cool:

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site BlownCVX20. :thumbsup

I run a CVX-16 with a 260 outboard. It's a little squirrelly at high speed but it will pull up a slalom skier on a deep water start.

I have your phone number and would enjoy comparing handling notes sometime. :)

Director...
Reaction score
Welcome to the site BlownCVX20. :thumbsup

I run a CVX-16 with a 260 outboard. It's a little squirrelly at high speed but it will pull up a slalom skier on a deep water start.

I have your phone number and would enjoy comparing handling notes sometime. :)

Son of a Bitch, that's gay!....:p

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Don't you have a pump to lubricate, or something?

Ratso

Reaction score
Yep, thats me for sure in my boat. Pic was taken a few years ago out on the North Bosque River above Lake Waco. Thanks Ratso for telling me about this website. Could not remember what the other one was. :cool:

Glad you made it over Barry... ;)

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion. Except for some pictures of a used one I almost bought.:thumbsup

Attachments

• DSC00050.jpg
    DSC00050.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 647
  • DSC00048.jpg
    DSC00048.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 583
  • DSC00047.jpg
    DSC00047.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 617
  • DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,121
  • DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 960
  • DSC00064.jpg
    DSC00064.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 675

lucky

Reaction score

don't break my game Randolf- do you know how hard it is to get browns shit stirred up ? hater :D

farmo83

Reaction score
I recently inherited my dads CVX 20 jet. After 30 years he decided to trade up to a 21 Hallett. The motor is bone stock, hasn't been rebuilt and it runs about 58-59

Attachments

• vacation 08 010.jpg
    vacation 08 010.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 786

Zaairman

Tig ole bitties
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing to add to this discussion. Except for some pictures of a used one I almost bought.:thumbsup

There is one of those boats with an outboard just rotting away in a storage lot by my house. Hasn't moved in at least 4 years. :cool:

Carlson

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I used to run a CVX 16 outboard as well. Sold it a few months ago after owning it for 8 years. Now I got myself a CVC 18. Pretty rare and not the slickest look of the Carlsons but also powered by newer model 460 fuel injection. Will run it this year for the first time. Let's see what that baby will do.

Aaron

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
attachment.php

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

kiethco

Reaction score
I had my CVZ 18 (convertable hardtop bowrider) for 15 years. It got a little chine walky above 55 but got there in a hurry with the small block i/o. I got to talk to Art Carlson about building the CVZ's. He said he hated them because it was like buiding two boats.
Here's a pic at the Riverside in Laughlin before I sold it last October.

Attachments

• carlson.jpg
    carlson.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:

Carlson

Reaction score
That is some bad ass Intimidator!

Nice CVZ, were you missing the convertible or was it included.

Aaron

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I was out on the Sac River with this one last weekend. Super Clean!! Hard to see, but has pearl ghost flames- on the black deck. I don't know what he has for power, but it was running 68-70mph with us on GPS...until we hammered it up to 102mph. LOL.

Attachments

• DSC00818.jpg
    DSC00818.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC00822.jpg
    DSC00822.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 681
  • DSC00846.jpg
    DSC00846.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 837
  • DSC00831.jpg
    DSC00831.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 547
  • Carlson Jet (2).jpg
    Carlson Jet (2).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 834

Prime Marine

Custom rigging
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a CVX-20 with a crate hi-po small block and an old MI drive. We put this engine in a couple years ago and it runs between 80-84MPH! Crazy fast for that little boat but feels completely stable. The hull design was way before its time.
Mike @ Prime

Carlson

Reaction score
102 with a CVX 20 jet? Wow that's pretty impressive! Do you have more info? What jet is he running, still 12JE?

Aaron