WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Garage cabinets

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Now that I am moving all my stuff down to the building I don’t have any storage in my garage.

I am looking for some affordable cabinets that also integrate a built in desk / work bench. By that I mean I’d like to be able wheel a comfortable chair underneath the desk so Stacy or I could work from hole on laptops.

I am hoping some of the members can post some of their setups, and provide links to cabinets that have this style setup.

I don’t want to spend a truckload of money on it as at some point this house will likely be a rental!
On the inverse I am not really interested in anything made out of mdf.

Whatcha got? What is the best bang for the buck?

RD

fast99

Reaction score
Is there a salvage co near you? Some old homes had steel cabinets. That's what I have in my garage.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Got several Gladiator cabinets from Lowe’s for Renee. They are made by Whirlpool and are pretty nice for the price.

I ordered a 14 piece cabinet set from New Age back in October and I’m still waiting for them to show up. If they ever get here I’ll let you know how I like them.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
There was an awesome thread on garage journal where a guy welded up a frame for two or four HF 56" boxes and made an awesome garage desk and workspace. I will go search for it.

The ones I use in my garage you may want to consider for your next place. They are lifetime use and I have moved them from one house to another. https://baldheadcabinets.com

Last edited:

Slick

Reaction score
NewAge you can get from Costco and delivery to Havasu. This is the cheaper bold series. I’m happy with them.
54A1B5E0-39AA-493A-A485-524DF716C63F.jpeg

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
NewAge you can get from Costco and delivery to Havasu. This is the cheaper bold series. I’m happy with them. View attachment 1078817
Yeah you can get them from Costco on even Home Depot but only certain select versions. If you want something more custom you need to go to New Age directly.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Got several Gladiator cabinets from Lowe’s for Renee. They are made by Whirlpool and are pretty nice for the price.

I ordered a 14 piece cabinet set from New Age back in October and I’m still waiting for them to show up. If they ever get here I’ll let you know how I like them.
I ordered a NewAge Pro 10 piece set, plus the 15” locker and wall shelves, on 9/25 (direct from NewAge) and they were just delivered today. I’m pretty impressed with the quality. USA made would have been nicer, but my wallet isn’t that fat.

The Bold series would suite RD if he intends to convert his current house to rental in future.

Icky

Reaction score
I put these in my garage as I wasn't interested in waiting for new age to come back in stock with what I wanted. They go on sale from time to time, typically 20-25% off

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The packaging is impressive. Thought I was missing cabinets at first.

My plan is to run one wall cabinet and then 6 of the top cabinets as well as bottom cabinets. I will use the other 3 tall cabinets on the other side of the garage.

I want to wall mount everything and run it without the feet. On the far end of the lower butterfly cabinets I’m going to mount a sink.

The rolling cabinets are a little short so I’m thinking of bolting two together and possibly bolting a butcher block top to it so it doesn’t have as big of a gap.

I got two of the 2x8 ceiling wall racks as well.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
No where to sit?
Split it in the center.

F651F993-30F2-426D-859A-D3D47F962B5E.jpeg

You can do the same thing with out the “frame” Stevo used, just fab up leveling feet instead of wheels

C0314B67-F339-4AC9-A967-1710886D1227.jpeg

These Husky's are a really good base for that type of workbench. They have integrated power strips on one side, and are 24.5 inches deep. 46" wide.

Last edited:

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to add pictures of all my garage and shop setups to this thread. They are all MDF (core), I'm just certain you're going to hate them.:)

Metal is durable but limiting especially when you want it cheap.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
The packaging is impressive. Thought I was missing cabinets at first.
We were not home, came home and they had delivered them, I was like WTF, boxes everywhere, although its pretty cool how they package them one inside the other.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
I am going to use too cabinet from Harbor Frieght like the Steve-O and set them apart and get a top made for it. Not sure on the top just yet. Might do a nice wood butcher block or custom stainless steel top like a commercial kitchen
you can buy nice butcher block slabs at Lowes in LHC...made a shelf out of one recently.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I mounted my New Age to the wall, lag bolted into studs, no feet, much easier to vacuum and hose out the garage that way.

Good tip!!!! How many and what size did you use. I guess that it depends on how much is in the drawers too..

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Good tip!!!! How many and what size did you use. I guess that it depends on how much is in the drawers too..
Two or three per cabinet with fender washers, load the shit out of them, no issues. Just mark all your studs before you start as a stud finder won’t work once the metal of the cabinets is in the way.
4B6EE919-D864-47F8-8F31-E80C1DC3F3CE.jpeg
B10F75F8-C10B-491B-BDF0-576BE441934E.jpeg

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
Two or three per cabinet with fender washers, load the shit out of them, no issues. Just mark all your studs before you start as a stud finder won’t work once the metal of the cabinets is in the way.
View attachment 1078872 View attachment 1078873

Might have to have the wife use the stud finder. Everytime I try to use one it continuously goes off just holding in my hand. :looking:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I mounted my New Age to the wall, lag bolted into studs, no feet, much easier to vacuum and hose out the garage that way.

Did you bolt the rolling multi drawer cabinets?

I don’t think they are set up for that and are a little shorter but wold love some pics if you got them.

Icky

Reaction score
I almost forgot, since mine sits on feet and I have a "concrete curb" around the garage walls. I had to buy some metric all thread to extend the legs on the front side.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If you want it right, get a pocket hole jig, a table saw, and some nice plywood. I like Baltic Birch but Home Depot has (had?) some relatively nice high ply count sanded on both sides...almost what I'd call cabinet grade, for pretty cheap. Custom build what you want for what you want to put in it and where you want to put it. It would be a fun project for you and the kids. Watch a couple youtube videos on building garage cabinets....it ain't rocket surgery.

DLC

Reaction score
No where to sit?
They are custom made weld up a frame around a US General boxes (HF ) you can create anything you want. Knee holes, full hight lockers…. Etc

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Where’s @BobbyV
His setup is pretty sweet from pics he’s posted here.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Did you bolt the rolling multi drawer cabinets?

I don’t think they are set up for that and are a little shorter but wold love some pics if you got them.
Nope, I roll those around the garage to what I’m working on.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
All your guys' garages look like pro team locker rooms or sports bars...F' me!

But I really want to know how there is a big TV in one looking like it's playing a musical...man cave is a bit less "manly" if show toons are involved 😏

HNL2LHC

Reaction score
All your guys' garages look like pro team locker rooms or sports bars...F' me!

But I really want to know how there is a big TV in one looking like it's playing a musical...man cave is a bit less "manly" if show toons are involved 😏
You win a big screen TV From my MIL‘s estate. Just let me now when we are able delivered it to you……

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There are several videos on YouTube of guys building their garage cabinets out of filing cabinets and other stuff. Cones out looking really good and highly useful.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I was just looking at Kobalt (Lowes) 27" overhead cabinets and came across this adjustable height table. It lowers to 32" and raises up to 40". You can put Kobalt cabinets above and to the side of it. This is a 6' table. The cabinets are steel so you won't get the MDF shelf sag. They look good too. I went to lowes the other day to look at the 27" cabinets and they were $159 in store but $179 online. Not sure why. Decent price and quality IMO.

kobalt.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
You win a big screen TV From my MIL‘s estate. Just let me now when we are able delivered it to you……
If I'm in the shop, not really lounging...I have one stool, and one old office chair. Nothing real pretty or pimp, but functional. I appreciate the offer though :)

There are several videos on YouTube of guys building their garage cabinets out of filing cabinets and other stuff. Cones out looking really good and highly useful.
I have 2 four drawer filing cabinets that I use for holding the blow molded case tools, the stuff that isn't used everyday. Puller sets and compression gage sets, stuff like that. Works really well. Mine are just swap meet deals, but a guy could set a shop up nice with new ones fairly easy.

jmeads

Reaction score
I just went through this over the holiday. When I started looking for garage cabinets I was shocked at how expensive they were.

I went to HD and bought these work boxes for $249 each and created my own bench to meet my needs. What I like about these boxes are the depth. They are 24.5" deep, most boxes were 18" to 22 " deep. They had many colors to choose from, black, red, blue, white or grey.

I your case you could buy two and space them apart and create a desk work area. Just make or buy a top and you will be good to go.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• IMG_3172.jpeg
    IMG_3172.jpeg
    912.8 KB · Views: 270

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I ended up going with the husky matte black cabinets. Similar setup to this but without the extra vertical cabinet on the right.

It was 1400.00 bucks all said and done which is pretty cost effective for what you get. I checked out the cabinets in person and they seemed to be pretty nice.

BA4F1F30-786E-46D6-B019-862AA554E328.jpeg

UltraLucky

Reaction score
So I ended up going with the husky matte black cabinets. Similar setup to this but without the extra vertical cabinet on the right.

It was 1400.00 bucks all said and done which is pretty cost effective for what you get. I checked out the cabinets in person and they seemed to be pretty nice.

View attachment 1079164
Nice choice, currently 25% off. I purchased a complete set last week for the garage. 20 gauge and the tall cabinets are 81". looking to order additional shelves as they only com with 2 + 1 drawer in each cabinet.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nice choice, currently 25% off. I purchased a complete set last week for the garage. 20 gauge and the tall cabinets are 81". looking to order additional shelves as they only com with 2 + 1 drawer in each cabinet.

I didn’t see any 25% off? 😳

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Purchsed these a little over 15 years ago from Lowes. Right off the shelf, they have worked great. I thought for about 3 seconds... maybe 4 about cleaning it up a bit but fuck it... This is typical for my set up when in the middle of a project. Judging by the pictures in this thread some of you have serious OCD issues😂 but some bitchin setups to go with it.
Garage Cabinets Real Life.jpg

racektm

Reaction score

View attachment 1079164
Aren't you back to square one? Where do you sit??