WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuel Mileage

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I've been driving a Ford Explorer 4x4 - 4.0l SOHC for a while now. Needless to say, the mileage isn't that great.

When I go easy in town, I can get 16 mpg on the onboard display but the reality is that my mileage is between 9~10 mpg city in the winter.

Up here, the truck often idles for 15~30 minutes at a time. When it's really cold, there's no point letting it get too cold. I like my ass to be warm.

To that end, I use a remote start and warm the truck up for at least 15 minutes before driving home. The drive home is about 5 minutes. :D

Hence... 9~10 mpg.

... so I'm out in a friend's Honda CRV this evening. Nice car. It's a pretty small SUV but not tiny. I'm pretty sure it has a 4 cylinder engine. Whatever is in there, it's not as powerful as the Explorer.

Anyway... her telemetry shows 12.2 mpg. She does way less idling than I do too.

Overall, I'm sure her mileage is better than mine but I'm surprised how little. I know I could get 12.2 mpg without trying too hard. I'll just have to stay out of the gas a small amount but I can still be the biggest menace on the road.

On the highway, I get around 22 mpg on flat land doing around 65 mph. I suspect the CRV will be closer to 30 mpg but I haven't had a chance to compare very closely.

Interesting. :hmm

Stalkaholic

Run but ya can't hide...
Reaction score
I wonder where the Honda CRV got it's name...it must be made out of aluminum cans or something :D

spectras only

Reaction score
Tom , my Navigator gets 13.5 mpg in the city , 19-20 mpg on the highway . It weighs a hefty 6050 lbs , according to the brochure . I drive it mostly in 2 WD mode , occasionally in the AWD if there's any snow here :p , Never needed 4WD high or low yet while pulling the boat up on any ramps .:cool: . When I'm on cruise control and on level highway , going 90 kmph @1500 RPM, the computer shows my consumption is great at 13 L/100 km . If your Expy is AWD that's where the fuel economy tanks . My 1998 Jeep GC was a great vehicle but the Quadra Trac II AWD system made it thirsty .

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
If your Expy is AWD that's where the fuel economy tanks .

There are 2WD, AWD and 4WD versions. Mine is the 4WD. That makes it the worst model for fuel economy. I have driven through some pretty serious snowbanks, though. For winter driving on the Canadian prairies, I can't imagine anything more suited.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
So for every 10k miles @ $3 per gallon she saves $540. WOW.:fsakes:D

Hence over the life of her car I calculate she'll save 14.9 million dollars.;)

Director...
Reaction score
Put a snow chain on the back tyre.....and ride the Vespa!...:beer

Infomaniac

Extended Member
Reaction score
Don't count the idle time, DUH !!

I reset my average MPG meter if the truck idles for any length of time. I feel much better then. :)

westair

Reaction score
Tom , my Navigator gets 13.5 mpg in the city , 19-20 mpg on the highway . It weighs a hefty 6050 lbs , according to the brochure . I drive it mostly in 2 WD mode , occasionally in the AWD if there's any snow here :p , Never needed 4WD high or low yet while pulling the boat up on any ramps .:cool: . When I'm on cruise control and on level highway , going 90 kmph @1500 RPM, the computer shows my consumption is great at 13 L/100 km . If your Expy is AWD that's where the fuel economy tanks . My 1998 Jeep GC was a great vehicle but the Quadra Trac II AWD system made it thirsty .

Is that 19-20 mpg on a downhill grade?

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Is that 19-20 mpg on a downhill grade?

Imperial gallons, as used everywhere except the US, are 20% larger than US gallons.

You can factor that difference into my numbers too.

sorry dog

Reaction score
I'm getting 10 to 12 in the Landcruiser... you want to trade for a while and see if it gets better. I think the rear heater works but I've never used it... in fact it hasn't really snowed here in at least 6 years.

Imperials gallons, eh?

Did you pull a Gimli gilder on your last visit?

Miss Perfect

Reaction score
I have an 07 CRV and my last trip to Havasu it got 31 mpg. In the city it's usually 24 mpg or so.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I have an 07 CRV and my last trip to Havasu it got 31 mpg. In the city it's usually 24 mpg or so.

... so in miles per imperial gallon, that would be 37.2 highway and 28.8 city?

That's pretty good mileage for an SUV.

Do you need to have a priest driving to get those numbers?

Miss Perfect

Reaction score
... so in miles per imperial gallon, that would be 37.2 highway and 28.8 city?

That's pretty good mileage for an SUV.

Do you need to have a priest driving to get those numbers?

I've actually been impressed with the CRV overall. It was not my first choice, but it was the only smaller SUV that fit my needs. (Basically, the only one with a rubber bumper instead of a painted one. My dog rides with me alot and all of the other SUVs that I looked at had painted bumpers. I knew they would get scratched up when he hopped in the back.) It gets great gas mileage, it handles great and it should have a nice trade in value when I am ready for my next one.

As far as a preist driving, I'm not so sure about that. I was the one driving and I have not been to church in 15 years. ;)