WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fountain Spin Out

PokerRun388

Reaction score
LOTTO can get pretty sloppy. The Poker Run is probably the safe time to run hard because the water hasn't got churned up yet. But after the run the water gets really sloppy. Just like a washing machine. No pattern, it comes from all directions with no rim nor reason so it's time to slow down and proceed with caution not run full throttle. Plus with all the boat congestion those times call for taking all of the precautions for safe boating. Here is a link I borrowed from OSO on the same subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTJpDZ6sqkw

That doesn't look fun too me at all, way too choppy.:thumbsdown

PokerRun388

Reaction score

Patyacht

Reaction score
From DrReedJ and his OSO Post:
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.

AND

It was pretty crazy at the scene...the first thing the water patrol did was to stick a breathalyzer in the semiconscious drive who was later airlifted out. I was in disbelief with them doing that... Thank God alcohol was not a factor or he definitely would be hung out to dry.

minijeep

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was a passenger in this boat during the accident. Yes, there are many cardinal rules broken. The most important one I feel is no life jackets worn. As crazy as it seems, we had jackets for each person but as the poker run began we realized no one else was wearing them..... How foolish we were. I have read so many nasty comments on YouTube and other sites I am in shock. My wife suffered 4 broken ribs, punctured lung and a broken foot. She has not left the house since getting home. She is in severe pain. The driver crushed his eye orbital and broke hus back at T8 ( he is a former F-2 racer with APBA). Another passenger who raced professionally for many years broke his pelvis in several places and is in a wheelchair. One of the other girls crushed her eye orbital also. The guy from lake tv fractured his hip and broke his wrist. My injuries were minor compared, busted my head open and damaged a rib or two. Everyone is black and blue. This was a very upsetting event for everyone involved. I have been around powerboats for many years and it only takes on unguarded minute to loose a life or permanently hurt people you love. I am very thankful this did not end up worse. I hope everyone learns from this. I know I will boat differently. All of the guys in the boat are members of OSO. I think it is necessary to break down the accident and discuss this, just remember these are real people who like you who love power boating and do it every weekend.

AND

It was pretty crazy at the scene...the first thing the water patrol did was to stick a breathalyzer in the semiconscious drive who was later airlifted out. I was in disbelief with them doing that... Thank God alcohol was not a factor or he definitely would be hung out to dry.

It can happen fast then you think that is for sure! it's conserning to me that they are more concerned with a breathilizer then a mans life.

i'm glad that everyone is alright!

Hallett270act

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video and commentary. I have a renewed respect for boating safety. That could easily have killed several if not all on that boat. I am thankful all survived. Wow!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
It can happen fast then you think that is for sure! it's conserning to me that they are more concerned with a breathilizer then a mans life.

i'm glad that everyone is alright!

If the guys already receiving treatment and taking the breathalizer is not affecting or delaying his treatment I really don't see an issue with it. Given the circumstances I'd say it is a important element to whole thing that needs to be established early on.

I'm just glad no one was killed.

Given the other videos regarding water conditions I'd be the guy parked waiting for everyone else to get off the water before I took off.

rrrr

Reaction score
Another perspective from a WAVE MAKER 53' Carver. Really shows how bad it gets. Imagine, just add wind, some Havasu wind, and it would really be bad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCVPU4HWokQ&feature=youtu.be

Am I correct in seeing the boat in this video was the same Fountain in the original video? Sure looks like it.

I have zero experience in boats of that type but I'm pretty sure I would never attempt any kind of speed in that water...unlike the ocean it is totally confused with no run to the swells.

Glad no one was killed...it could easily have had a different outcome. Wow.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Fuck that noise. That doesn't even look one bit fun.

I agree, doesn't look like fun to me either, not one bit. And I know over on OSO someone brought up the point that it was a "fun run" and not a "poker run", thats why no one was required to wear a life vest. But with the water conditions that rough, and with all the boats at loto that day, it would have been a great idea. Thankfully they will all be ok, if any of them would have been thrown into the water, they may not have been this lucky.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
At some point you just have to say "This is too rough" and tuck tail. I've had to do that a couple times in the ocean, didn't even make it out of the harbor because waves were coming over the jetti in Dana Point.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Damn that was crazy. There's nothing soft for your body to hit inside of a boat's cockpit.

2 Tapatalk 1 Cup

STEPPCHILD

Reaction score
...that is the kind of unskilled Azzhat that is ruining and reinforcing the "typical" image the general public has, of the performance boat owners...:grumble:

Duffster

Reaction score
They are totally lucky that they all stayed in the boat. Hitting your head and getting tossed out with no life jacket usually ends up with someone dead.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
They are totally lucky that they all stayed in the boat. Hitting your head and getting tossed out with no life jacket usually ends up with someone dead.

Wow, you've got that right. Being thrown into the water, with injuries, being disorderiantated, without a lifevest, is the worst case sceniaro, thats how drownings happen.:thumbsdown. This was a bigger 38ft boat, so maybe that kept everyone in the boat, when it spun, deep cockpit.. thankfully!!. Everytime I watch that video it gives me chills, I'm glad they will be ok from their injuries.

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
Thousands of miles of seawall to protect private property erosion is going to create a sloppy lake. If you go 100 miles south to Tablerock, property owners don't own the shoreline. The corp. does. They dont want you near it in fact. Got a tree blocking your view from your lakehouse. TOO bad. :drillsergeant:

spectras only

Reaction score
Didn't think waterfront property owners have the right of any shoreline.At least not in Canada that I'm aware of.There's a 2 meter demarcation line from the highest water level, including tidal waters, that is federally owned,hence the need of a permit to build a dock as well. If the authorities figure they don't want your dock, you'll have to remove it. Info could be found about it if searched for the US,I guess.You're right, waves can't be subdued if hitting walls, it will create more disturbance reflected back.Oh well, we just need bigger boats to deal with:D

Singleton

Reaction score
For the family's lake house in Wisconsin, we have the ability to modify the shoreline to protect against erosion, however you can't use cement.

The lake house in Indiana we are unable to do anything to the shoreline and have to get any modifications approved and permitted by the state. The last time we had to make a change, the permit fee cost more then the cost of removing the tree we had to remove since it fell into the lake.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

AND

Some serious damage there...

:(

RLJ676

Reaction score
Didn't think waterfront property owners have the right of any shoreline.At least not in Canada that I'm aware of.There's a 2 meter demarcation line from the highest water level, including tidal waters, that is federally owned,hence the need of a permit to build a dock as well. If the authorities figure they don't want your dock, you'll have to remove it. Info could be found about it if searched for the US,I guess.You're right, waves can't be subdued if hitting walls, it will create more disturbance reflected back.Oh well, we just need bigger boats to deal with:D

At LOTO the owners are responsible for their seawall. It is a reservoir, and most of the shoreline is actually bluffs, where it's not it is a concrete seawall for the most part. Very little is beach where the waves can dissipate.

Your last sentence then is what happens, as everyone goes bigger and bigger and now there's 50+ ft cruisers out there, making more like waves than wakes. Makes me laugh when guys on here bitch about roll bar boats.;):D

This video definitely scares me. In the OSO thread I believe they indicate they were probably running 60ish. My take is they were turning and took a large cross wake that unsettled the boat side to side and it lost the drive's "grip" and spun. Big cross wakes rocking the boat side to side is the most unsettling thing to me at speed for sure.

Sleeper CP

Reaction score
Holy $hit... Glad I wasn't on that boat. Makes me question though, they are running hard enough to be airing out the probs, watch the throttle, maybe they should have jackets on.

just maybe.......

It's hard to fix "stupid" most of the time.

S CP :grumble:

New to boating

Reaction score

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
That's all the drivers fault. :thumbsdown

There's dump asses everywhere.

Lavey5150

Just one more
Reaction score
KCal 9 news SOCAL will be discussing the events of this mishap :rolleyes:w/ passengers/ and or driver, tonight after the doyyer game....allegedly

Carry on...................

SoCalDave

Reaction score
KCal 9 news SOCAL will be discussing the events of this mishap :rolleyes:w/ passengers/ and or driver, tonight after the doyyer game....allegedly

Carry on...................

That will be past my bedtime...

truggyboy

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but when my passengers start grabbing for things to hang on to I assume they are no longer having the same fun as me and I slow the fuck down.

In my opinion the operator of that boat was being totally irresponsible and his passengers are lucky to be alive

I totally agree

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
but it looks so cool not to wear safety gear (life jacket) at high speed !!!,
dumbasses.....friggin lucky, all of them.....flame away !!!

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Am I correct in seeing the boat in this video was the same Fountain in the original video? Sure looks like it.

I have zero experience in boats of that type but I'm pretty sure I would never attempt any kind of speed in that water...unlike the ocean it is totally confused with no run to the swells.

Glad no one was killed...it could easily have had a different outcome. Wow.

In the blue it's called confused seas and it can be caused by various factors. A true captain or experienced boater would just back off or leave it alone.

If you must, and I have been caught a couple times, it's life jackets out, radio check, radar on, and extra eyes if they are available.

Boats can hide in large confused seas.

This video is boating I say is not worth a nickle. Event or not.

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
It's was a recklous mistake. Huge.

The driver of the boat is responsible for his crew he is the captain of the boat.

People standing up at a high rate of speed and shit. That's just stupid.

His mistake could have even paid a bigger price.

Obviously..:rolleyes:

JMC

Reaction score
Driving beyond the boats limits,no Jackets and standing up wasnt the worst part..... Filming it with your Go-Pro and taking your spill from local to Global in 72hrs was! Its enough the passengers being rattled from this scare, now they get to deal with the video spoofs of themselves forever. But hey, at least they all lived.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
I don't understand all the negative comments about the driver "standing up".
There is a reason most offshore boats have drop-out bolsters.
You feel a lot more "connected" to the boat by standing in rough seas, as opposed to having your ass bouncing around in the seat.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand all the negative comments about the driver "standing up".
There is a reason most offshore boats have drop-out bolsters.
You feel a lot more "connected" to the boat by standing in rough seas, as opposed to having your ass bouncing around in the seat.

One of the boats we used to race offshore didn't even have seat bottoms. Just stand up bolsters. Offshore I prefer to stand.

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
One of the boats we used to race offshore didn't even have seat bottoms. Just stand up bolsters. Offshore I prefer to stand.

Agreed.
Unless I was in a canopied boat, I prefer to stand with a tight bolster.
That being said...
My current boat has a pretty low freeboard. It will have sit downs.
I'm almost 6', standing in my boat would put the gunwale at my upper thigh. As someone once said, I'd stick out like a boner in sweatpants if I were standing.:D