WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fire crews assisting OCFA injured in crash

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
That's a big vehicle to try evasive maneuvers in. After a 13-16 hour day, the drive "home" isn't pretty anyway. I hope they can recover. The truck looks hammered, pretty violent wreck.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to Monday morning quarterback the operators decision to take evasive action rather than hit the obstruction head on. A decision he had to make within a couple seconds. The ladder was a 24' ish construction extension ladder that the lead vehicle had already hit, and sent bouncing on the freeway. He made the best decision he could at the time. They did graze the ladder. But what if it hit straight on and the ladder went through the floorboard and killed someone? You just don't know. These men are severely injured and if we don't lose anyone, it will be a miracle. Even so, with some of their injuries being reported, their lives will never be the same, ever. It's been very traumatic for our entire agency and the fire/first responder community.

Edit:
Our Engineers and operators go through extensive defensive driving/code 3 driving and hours on controlled cone courses. One of the things they train on is high speed evasive lane changes.

Let's be respectful. Like I said, some of these men are in grave condition in the ICU.

Last edited:

ltbaney1

Reaction score
we live right near there, heard all the sirens and saw the helicopter come in. had no clue it was firecrew until the wife saw it on the news this morning.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Oh man that is horrible. We have many friends out and about because of the fires. Some traveling many miles. Best to those and the families…

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
@throttle I think is a OCFA engineer.?
I was supposed to be on shift, although I am on some scheduled time off up at Lake Powell. My crew responded to the 241/tomato springs incident, i had a chance to briefly check in with them when i heard the news. Its absolutely horrible! Leave it at this for now, we appreciate your thoughts and prayers right now.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Our safety call was about this today because we all carry ladders on our trucks. My rule is take a ladder off secure the rest. When I walk to to the truck to leave I’m look’ing at the tie downs.
When I was roofing, I'd always lean the ladder on the back, and it was the last thing I'd strap down before I left. It's amazing how many get dumped on the freeways.

4Waters

Reaction score
Our safety call was about this today because we all carry ladders on our trucks. My rule is take a ladder off secure the rest. When I walk to to the truck to leave I’m look’ing at the tie downs.
When I was roofing, I'd always lean the ladder on the back, and it was the last thing I'd strap down before I left. It's amazing how many get dumped on the freeways.
I see 4-5 on any given day on the LA freeway, it's absolute bullshit that people can't tie them down