WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Featured Boat - Rick and Carry's 26 RPM - Redline Performance

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have been slacking off for awhile and falling behind on some of our content on RDP lately. I have had a lot going on with the development of the new site, kids going back to school and a host of other things going on in life. For the last month though every night when I go to bed, and every morning when I get up, I can't help but think about this boat that I filmed a little while back. So I give to you this weeks feature boat.

IMG_7857.jpg

I have always been curious about the 26 RPM, there's not many of them around, and the ones that are around are in extremely high demand. That in and of itself is the proof in the pudding as they say. Generally if a company only makes a few, they are generally "unknown" or they go the other way where they become the "legends." These are extremely rare boats, and when they come up for sale, they command all the money and they are generally short lived on the market, with most being sold to friends or family that are lined up to purchase.

IMG_7865.jpg

The RPM was a combined effort between the infamous Doug Wright and company founder Steve Tripp. It's a smaller boat at 26', but shares no traditional lines of a West Coast 26, and nothing about the bottom of it resembles anything I've seen before. It's a center pod boat, with a snub nose pod that starts right at the bow.

IMG_7852.jpg

Aesthetically speaking they are beautiful, with their proud flat decks, and full wrap around windshields. RPM tends to break away from every other boat in this size range with their own unique look. Large rounded (but blunt) tips on the forks, and a massive flat deck that stretches the entire length of the boat are some of the unique features to them. As mentioned earlier, they are pretty rare, but it's still difficult to mistake an RPM for a different brand even if you only see a portion of the boat in a photo.

IMG_7860.jpg

Before we get into how she actually runs, I'd like to dive into what the biggest surprise for me on this boat. The under cabin has a full on single sleeper bed under there! On top of the usable sleeper, there is a TON of room down there.

*Note : Now I'd like you to remember this isn't a new boat, and is in fact 8 years old. In the pic the pads are bent from the gas shocks which is a little unfortunate for the article. As I said though, these things are rare, so if that's what we have to deal with then so be it. God knows Steve build all his boats to save every ounce. (This is not the same way that Joe Malich is going to be building them now so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem in the future.)

Generally speaking the cabins of a 25-28' (or even bigger) Cats are all about useless unless you are a six year old. I'm not sure how they pulled this off while maintaining some very sexy lines, but the cabin in this boat is HUGE.

IMG_7839.jpg

There's giant storage compartments under each cushion, and what you aren't seeing in the pic, is all of Rick and Carey's coolers and towels are actually off to the sides down in the sponsons! The amount of storage this boat has is unbelievable. The fact that is has an actual "functional" sleeper in the front of it, is something I can say I don't think I have ever seen in a lower profile cat in this size range before.

My only gripe is they never really instituted a real door system into the RPM's. Most of them just have a kind of "zippered" flap (or in some cases snaps) that closes the area off. I don't believe Rick's boat had anything here, but it's a Havasu boat, so it's to be expected that he wouldn't be overnighting in it anyways.

IMG_7838.jpg

The interior of the boat is fairly telling. You can tell that it was designed by two different people, an Engineer, and an Industrial Engineer (If you don't know what that is, look it up). The dash is flat, and honestly a little boring to look at (even though the Carbon Fiber is a nice touch). You can tell it is all about function, and no form. The removable and very replaceable panel fits all the gauges nicely an everything is easily visible and most importantly "replaceable" I suppose if you drop different power and require a different gauge cluster.

IMG_7837.jpg

When you go through the rest of the boat though, and take a look at the interior side panels, and other features. There's a lot more "flow" and "features" in the boat, that an add an element of style. It's pretty evident that whom ever did the side panels, and inserts isn't the same guy that did the dash. The dash is all function and no form, and this is a combined effort of form and function. (Note the extremely comfortable elbow rest with a pad behind the throttle / shifter. As well as all the radii and shapes throughout this panel alone)

IMG_7840.jpg

Moving further back you can see more evidence of the same hand. Somebody spent a bit of time incorporating this side panel into a speaker holder / cup holder (x2) with all the curves and motion going on here.

IMG_7841.jpg

Looking behind you there is a blend between a "Poker Run" style interior and a traditional. The seats are extremely wide, and comfortable. They still have the side bolster and bolsters on the base cushion, but they aren't going to suffocate you like some of the interiors. I believe this is one of the things that is actually different from boat to boat, and the customers could order however they wanted. Obviously with Joe's new venture you can pick what you want.

IMG_7836.jpg

Now one of the things that made RPM famous as soon as they came on the scene was the "cleanliness" of rigging. You can literally see nothing in the engine bay. Everything is run immediately down and behind false floors and fascias. RPM's have without a doubt one of the cleanest engine bays in the industry. No matter how many times you see one of TCM's big power motors it never gets old.

IMG_7844.jpg

Everything is hidden behind the trim pump.

IMG_7845.jpg

The only wiring you can see in the whole boat is right on the back of the bulkhead

IMG_7848.jpg
IMG_7850.jpg

These Rick actually had made by his friend Jeff Herman. For those that remember or have a long history on the boards Jeff used to go by Three Days Only back in the day.

IMG_7847.jpg
IMG_7846.jpg

That wraps up the tour of the boat, but the most important part is how does it run?

IMG_7866.jpg

The answer is simple, this boat flat RIPS. By rips I mean the boat was clocked in the 130's when it was at the factory. The fastest Rick has run it to date is 127 on a pretty hot day here in Lake Havasu.

IMG_8080.jpg

It's sporting a Teague 985 hooked to an IMCO SCX - 4 with a 1.35 ratio, spinning a 5 Blade 38 pitch Herring.

It will pin you in the seat from 50 MPH into the triple digits. There's other cats out there that are known for accelleration as well, but I have to say I have never been in a more stable platform at these speeds than this RPM. Not only does it feel "planted" but it responds extremely well to steering input. This boat is one of the hardest (If not the hardest) turning Cats I've ever been in. It takes a set leans in and begs for more. It's an amazing ride, and if you ever get a chance to go in one or drive one I'd highly recommend it!

[video=vimeo;228504806]

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Dave. I believe form follows function and this boat definitely does that! Love this boat!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Dave. I believe form follows function and this boat definitely does that! Love this boat!

I'm a huge fan right off the bat.. I'm really hoping Joe can put this thing together and start building them soon before the bottom falls out of this economy again.

RD

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I love this boat. It is just so freaking sexy. I would love to build one with big power. I like the cabin a lot!!

He sure is tough on that SCX4 out of the hole though!!

Tank

Reaction score
When I first saw the drawings, I was like, Meh.....But wow, that thing pops in the photos now that its completed. Gonna have to let the area where the transom meets the deck grow on me a little but holy crap, all that billet and carbon fiber is bad azz. And what an outstanding driver / motor package. Nice.

Did I miss the price?

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Beautiful boat. I think I seen it last weekend in havasu.

DWC

Reaction score
Boat looks awesome on the water. Saw him cruising out of Pirates. It defiinetely doesn't blend in. Great write up. Thank you.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When I first saw the drawings, I was like, Meh.....But wow, that thing pops in the photos now that its completed. Gonna have to let the area where the transom meets the deck grow on me a little but holy crap, all that billet and carbon fiber is bad azz. And what an outstanding driver / motor package. Nice.

Did I miss the price?

This one was built 8 years ago by Steve Tripp. I don't know what it would cost to build new right now.

Tank

Reaction score
This one was built 8 years ago by Steve Tripp. I don't know what it would cost to build new right now.

Ah! I'm thinking of a different boat then. Wasn't there some drawings of one of these floating around lately and it was at the LA boat show?

And yea, those SCX drives are stout like a #6 drive. That light boat, you can floor that shit out of the hole and you'll be fine.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
As soon as he told me he owned this RPM at the Naci Bash I had REALLY wish he brought it. He was showing us pictures of it on his phone and I told him that Herring is worth more than my entire boat. Lol!

Boat Bling

Reaction score
I spent some time on the all red #6 boat a few years ago (pre-monster swim platform/bustle addition). El Guapo's old 27 Speedster with Teague power had a clean bilge but that RPM was on another level with EVERYTHING hidden. There wasn't even a plastic blower hose run down to bilge. Instead, there was a fiberglass tube molded inside transom that vented through hatch. Had to really look to even notice it.

-Zack

renodaytona

Reaction score
The RPM's are so legit, I'm glad someone picked up the brand and is looking to make these again. I'd like to see what one with that Merc 860 NA motor would run price and speed wise.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Seems like these would be an amazing candidate for 800hp worth of verados hanging off the back.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but the first one being built might have twin 400's.

I think it is actually getting 300's. This is Mike Livorsi's boat.

Notched transom with a smaller (for Havasu standards) boat, I think 300's would be a better fit. 400's could work but I believe it would take a lot of work to get the hull to ride right with that much weight hanging off the ass. Some DBR tuned 300's I think would be a KILLER set-up on this boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Notched transom with a smaller (for Havasu standards) boat, I think 300's would be a better fit. 400's could work but I believe it would take a lot of work to get the hull to ride right with that much weight hanging off the ass. Some DBR tuned 300's I think would be a KILLER set-up on this boat.

If you look closely at the pictures you can see they just filled the notches in the transom. They haven't done the gel repair yet.

RD

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Always liked the RPM's!!

Would have been my choice in the 25-27' cat market.

I wonder if they could make a fiberglass door like the Adrenaline where it hinges up with struts....built in steps that would make access to the bow over the windscreen easier.

All white RPM with twin OB's.....Sexy AF!!!:yikes:bowdown::champagne:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Always liked the RPM's!!

Would have been my choice in the 25-27' cat market.

I wonder if they could make a fiberglass door like the Adrenaline where it hinges up with struts....built in steps that would make access to the bow over the windscreen easier.

All white RPM with twin OB's.....Sexy AF!!!:yikes:bowdown::champagne:

Honestly for the boating we do out here just having it open isn't bad.. for other markets though and for people that are overnighting or leaving in slips a locking door would be nice.

Good idea on the door with stairs

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If you look closely at the pictures you can see they just filled the notches in the transom. They haven't done the gel repair yet.

RD
Now that you say that, I zoomed in and could see that. I can't wait to see this thing finished!

Not Allways A Deck

Reaction score
Now that you say that, I zoomed in and could see that. I can't wait to see this thing finished!

I'm going to save my money to build another one. I'm going to sell a Howard 21' River Cruizer V-Drive to step it up. LOL! What about a baby Blue with 2 SS deck stripes? And 2 Wakas!! Joe best get better quick!! He has got some work to do!! 😜

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I'm going to save my money to build another one. I'm going to sell a Howard 21' River Cruizer V-Drive to step it up. LOL! What about a baby Blue with 2 SS deck stripes? And 2 Wakas!! Joe best get better quick!! He has got some work to do!! [emoji12]

Do it!! And then bring it to Naci! Not many twin OB's ever up here. Lol!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'm going to save my money to build another one. I'm going to sell a Howard 21' River Cruizer V-Drive to step it up. LOL! What about a baby Blue with 2 SS deck stripes? And 2 Wakas!! Joe best get better quick!! He has got some work to do!! 

I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing that over what you have? Other than motor refresh costs.. Your boat can cruise at 100 all day long without breaking anything.

There's something weird with those #'s you gave me FYI. I'm showing like a 23% Prop slip? (doesn't sound right?)

RD

robby dmax

Reaction score
I know this is old post, but does anyone know where any of the original Redlines owner's are? I would like to own one.
Thank you [email protected]

the original owner was Steve Tripp he passed away in a boating accident a few years ago.

Last edited:

skydog

Reaction score
the original owner was Steve Tripp he passed away on a boating accident a few years ago.
Man that's horrible 😞 so sorry to all involved. Can not believe I missed all that.... sorry

skydog

Reaction score
LaveyCraft will build you one.
Yes I see they bought the molds I just want to be around that 120k range...... but if I can't find one I might go that route.
Thank you

2droppedchevs

Reaction score
Just shot another redline last week that we will be writing up shortly.

RD
One of the originals (Jeff Ford's old boat was in Havasu last week) or one of Joe's/Lavey Craft's new ones? Look forward to seeing it.

skydog

Reaction score
😍😍 Just a thing of Magic! Love smaller singles! I had a 27 Daytona with 1200 Hp ran 130mph and beat my buddy's ss A boat all day from a 40 mph dig on up! I want a RPM to build!
Skydog

lavey jr

Reaction score
😍😍 Just a thing of Magic! Love smaller singles! I had a 27 Daytona with 1200 Hp ran 130mph and beat my buddy's ss A boat all day from a 40 mph dig on up! I want a RPM to build!
Skydog

There’s one at Lavey Craft you can buy to build.
Just went in the mold. Will be posting build pics soon in the “new builds from the mold” section once all my pics and vids are done uploading👍

FC07C5DC-4489-40B8-896E-51EF819A5707.jpeg

RickyTan47

Reaction score
Boats are clean. There’s one for sale for 250k on boattrader and powerboat listings

skydog

Reaction score
Awesome I will be looking into all three.
Thanks guys!!