Reaction score
Damn video wont play on my pc. Fuck.,

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
twins.JPG

spectras only

Reaction score
Damn, signal lost for the third booster's landing on the sea. The two booster's landing on land was awesome.
what happened to the third booster?

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score
That was truly impressive to watch. Especially the two boosters landing almost simultaneously.

fmo24

Reaction score
Total game changer to land those boosters like that.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
After a lifetime of watching first Gemini then subsequent launches and landings, even the lunar landings, the booster dual landing tops all! Amazing foresight and engineering.

Definitely the future here!

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Total game changer to land those boosters like that.

It really is. I don’t know the cost savings as compared to losing them, but it has to be astronomical!!
(Pun intended!)

Did anyone see the episode of “Young Sheldon” where 9 year old Sheldon goes to NASA to school them on recoverable boosters? They did not have the capability of engineering his mathematical solution at the time so he leaves his notebook with NASA and tells them to call him when they catch up.
Then it cuts to modern day and Elon Musk with Sheldon’s notes.
Funny as hell!!

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
The video works great on firefox or chrome. IE wasn't working well

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Simultaneous landing of the side boosters was amazing! Waiting to hear about the center core
Here is the best explaination i can do. Center stage was a gen 3 booster and didnt have the fuel capacity of the newer gen 5. It started down and they thought they wouldn't make so they aim for the ocean instead so as not to hurt the platform, but then realized it might make it so tried but didn't have enough fuel so landed in the ocean anyway. This is per my son who built some of the parts.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Sooo goddamn awesome!! Musk is doing what the government/NASA coukdnt do and for a fraction of the $ and time of what it could do.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

HotRod82

Reaction score
To anyone "in the know"....I read many times our shuttle program was retired (as were the Russian re-usable spacecraft programs) due to the fact they had to be completely disassembled then reassembled in order to be "certified" for flight. The costs involved were actually higher than disposable rockets. So what exactly is the advantage of re-usable boosters if in fact it is more cost effective to just build a new one??

It's great to see some American rockets flying, it really bothers me that we have to hitch a ride with the Russians to get our guys to the space station.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
To anyone "in the know"....I read many times our shuttle program was retired (as were the Russian re-usable spacecraft programs) due to the fact they had to be completely disassembled then reassembled in order to be "certified" for flight. The costs involved were actually higher than disposable rockets. So what exactly is the advantage of re-usable boosters if in fact it is more cost effective to just build a new one??

It's great to see some American rockets flying, it really bothers me that we have to hitch a ride with the Russians to get our guys to the space station.
Because that was NASA and they haf to use $5k hammers on those components. In simple terms...... bureaucracy.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
Haven’t read a single post in this thread but this is some badass stuff!
I know there is a member here that works for SpaceX, congratulations man!

Kbach

Reaction score
Pretty damn cool watching this today. Amazing what the private sector is capable of.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Amazing! Incredible accomplishment!

I was stunned by the quality of the live video feed from the rocket - that in itself was awesome as was the telemetry and the "timeline across the bottom of the screen"

Of course nothing compares to seeing those 27 monster engines burning fuel at an incredible rate and seeing the boosters drop away and land in unison and seeing the 2nd stage (3rd stage?) exhaust cone glowing red hot.

It all was awesome!

spectras only

Reaction score
So I hear, Musk wants to send someone around the Moon shortly.;)

Blubyu

Reaction score
Damn, signal lost for the third booster's landing on the sea. The two booster's landing on land was awesome.
what happened to the third booster?

Missed the drone ship by 320 feet. Hit the water at more than 300 miles per hour and now sits on the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Missed the drone ship by 320 feet. Hit the water at more than 300 miles per hour and now sits on the bottom of the ocean.
I guess that's what happens when running out of fuel controlling your craft:eek:. Musk should have used some electrical contraption creating anti gravity to aid soft landing;):D More work to fix gremlins

JDKRXW

Reaction score

Not too bad when you consider that this mission would have been a success if the rocket cleared the launch pad with all the engines running before it crashed.
This was 100% totally badass in my books.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Overshot the target trajectory and the Tesla is heading to the Asteroid Belt. Awesome

Tank

Reaction score
  • To go from "we'll consider it a success if it just clears the launch pad." to basically a successful launch, orbit and landing of rockets is pretty freakin gnarly! Next stop...MARS :D:cool:;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
  • To go from "we'll consider it a success if it just clears the launch pad." to basically a successful launch, orbit and landing of rockets is pretty freakin gnarly! Next stop...MARS :D:cool:;)

I always thought he was trying to manufacture interest into people watching the launch expecting an explosion.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Because that was NASA and they haf to use $5k hammers on those components. In simple terms...... bureaucracy.

Musk has a different approach than NASA on the whole space program in the fact that NASA spent $5k on a pen that would write in space, Musk just sent up some .10 pencils. :D

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
I always thought he was trying to manufacture interest into people watching the launch expecting an explosion.

Like watching a high speed car chase anticipating the collision.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just got done partying with the coworkers!!!

What I'm amazing experience yo be a part of history.

How can I ever work somewhere else with this much satisfaction??

View attachment 618689

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My daughters boy friend's goal is to work for SpaceX. He is an engineering student over at LaVerne right now. I got him a 3D printer for Christmas, and he is making all kina stuff with it! He has already been offered positions at Disney and Edison. I'm really excited for him.

Congrats on a job well done!

nowski

Reaction score
Space X, very impressive and a Job Well Done!!! Looks like Starman (Major Tom) traded in that tin can and is now cruising around earth in style...

Hey Rocket Man aka kim jung un take note...

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Even though I've seen this pic and others like it, and I knew SpaceX was sending Musk's Tesla Roadster into space atop the Falcon Heavy...

tumblr_inline_p1qlb8rUL31romqng_540.jpg

Until I saw these pics I didn't realize the plan was for the huge nose cone to come off and leave the Tesla Roadster exposed in space atop the section supporting it...

$

This Tesla sure looks fake, but that's because of the way colors appear in space.
On a side note, Elon Musk told reporters that, "If you look closely on the dashboard, there's a tiny roadster with a tiny spaceman."

Even Elon Musk thinks his space-cruising midnight-cherry Tesla Roadster looks weird. Musk went on to say that colors, in general, look strange in space, because "there's no atmospheric occlusion. Everything's too crisp," he said.

"It looks so ridiculous and impossible," the SpaceX CEO told reporters after the Falcon Heavy megarocket launched the car into space yesterday (Feb. 6). "You can tell it's real because it looks so fake, honestly."

THIS is what's out there in space (I admit to not knowing that would be the case before the launch) - I thought it'd be inside the closed nosecone.

$

First off, yes — colors do look "fuzzier" on Earth than they do in space, said Rick Sachleben, a retired chemist in Boston who is a member of the American Chemical Society's panel of experts.

When light travels through the Earth's atmosphere, it passes through air that contains particles, such as dust, soot, smoke and liquid droplets. The air also has varying densities depending on how much water it contains and its temperature, Sachleben said. For instance, the air at the top of Mount Everest is less dense than at sea level, which is why breathing at Everest's peak is challenging.

These factors — air's particles and properties — can change the way colors look on Earth, Sachleben told Live Science. "The light scatters off of those particles," he said. "When it hits a piece of dust, it bounces off of it. And then it hits another one, and it scatters off of that one." That's why "the image we see [on Earth] is fuzzier, less distinct," he said. "In space, you don't have that."

In space, there's barely anything to bend or block light. That's why pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope are so much sharper than images taken from Earth-based telescopes, Sachleben said.

Tank

Reaction score
Even though I've seen this pic and others like it, and I knew SpaceX was sending Musk's Tesla Roadster into space atop the Falcon Heavy...

tumblr_inline_p1qlb8rUL31romqng_540.jpg

Until I saw these pics I didn't realize the plan was for the huge nose cone to come off and leave the Tesla Roadster exposed in space atop the section supporting it...

$

This Tesla sure looks fake, but that's because of the way colors appear in space.
On a side note, Elon Musk told reporters that, "If you look closely on the dashboard, there's a tiny roadster with a tiny spaceman."

Even Elon Musk thinks his space-cruising midnight-cherry Tesla Roadster looks weird. Musk went on to say that colors, in general, look strange in space, because "there's no atmospheric occlusion. Everything's too crisp," he said.

"It looks so ridiculous and impossible," the SpaceX CEO told reporters after the Falcon Heavy megarocket launched the car into space yesterday (Feb. 6). "You can tell it's real because it looks so fake, honestly."

THIS is what's out there in space (I admit to not knowing that would be the case before the launch) - I thought it'd be inside the closed nosecone.

$

First off, yes — colors do look "fuzzier" on Earth than they do in space, said Rick Sachleben, a retired chemist in Boston who is a member of the American Chemical Society's panel of experts.

When light travels through the Earth's atmosphere, it passes through air that contains particles, such as dust, soot, smoke and liquid droplets. The air also has varying densities depending on how much water it contains and its temperature, Sachleben said. For instance, the air at the top of Mount Everest is less dense than at sea level, which is why breathing at Everest's peak is challenging.

These factors — air's particles and properties — can change the way colors look on Earth, Sachleben told Live Science. "The light scatters off of those particles," he said. "When it hits a piece of dust, it bounces off of it. And then it hits another one, and it scatters off of that one." That's why "the image we see [on Earth] is fuzzier, less distinct," he said. "In space, you don't have that."

In space, there's barely anything to bend or block light. That's why pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope are so much sharper than images taken from Earth-based telescopes, Sachleben said.

Thanks for posting that.

My questions are
1) How do they expect to get it back? It is coming back right? Or is it never coming back? Re-entry will burn that thing up.
2) If / when it comes back, do you think the deep freeze of space will have any adverse affects on the vehicles operational capabilities?

Taboma

Reaction score
So the car is going to remain attached to this base, not floating by itself ? I can't help but wonder what kind of a WTF moment it's going to be when some future expedition encounters it, long after this mission has been forgotten :eek: :confused:
Much more so, if they're not from Earth :D

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

My questions are
1) How do they expect to get it back? It is coming back right? Or is it never coming back? Re-entry will burn that thing up.
2) If / when it comes back, do you think the deep freeze of space will have any adverse affects on the vehicles operational capabilities?
It is never coming back. It was supposed to go into a orbit around the sun out by mars, but missed.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. As far as I know it is in orbit, until it isn't.

Launching a subsidized $250K car into space, for the fuck of it, seems to be pretty silly.

There are a number of ways to test the nosecone and payload capabilities without such a monumental waste of capital.

Brian

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that.

My questions are

It's headed to the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Gonna get pretty banged up.
We wont get to see any more pics cause the camera batteries are almost dead.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. As far as I know it is in orbit, until it isn't.

Launching a subsidized $250K car into space, for the fuck of it, seems to be pretty silly.

There are a number of ways to test the nosecone and payload capabilities without such a monumental waste of capital.

Brian

Billionaires love to show off like that.
The car is 10 years old already...so he got some use out of it.